PDA

View Full Version : Re: Gender Selection - Does anyone know Gen-Select ???

Mr. X
August 3rd 03, 04:07 PM
Your husband has sperm with X and Y.
Suppose the X Sperm carry information that makes strong boys.
Suppose the Y Sperm carry informatoin that makes weak girls.
Suppose your husband is genetically programmed to make strong boys
and weak girls.
(naturally, for other men, like myself, the situation could be reversed:
my wife and I have girls).

Suppose, if you do this... mess with nature... you get a damaged girl.
(yes, you would still love her).
But why mess with nature.
Sometimes it is Chance.
Sometimes there are reasons.

"Shana" > wrote in message
om...
> I am writing from Brasil. We have two boys and would like a girl. I
> found www.Gen-Select.com but do not know if it is safe.
>
> They say several thousand people have used product, so maybe somebody
> has experience with it?
>
> If it would not hurt me or my baby i figure it can be worth a try.
> But has anyone used it?
>
> - Shana

Mr. X
August 3rd 03, 10:39 PM
Chill with the "huh", the arrogance, and the cold science.
Think a bit holistically.
What IF sperm carrying one sex swim faster for a reason.
Why mess with nature?

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Mr. X wrote:
>
> > Your husband has sperm with X and Y.
> > Suppose the X Sperm carry information that makes strong boys.
> > Suppose the Y Sperm carry informatoin that makes weak girls.
> > Suppose your husband is genetically programmed to make strong boys
> > and weak girls.
> > (naturally, for other men, like myself, the situation could be reversed:
> > my wife and I have girls).
> >
> > Suppose, if you do this... mess with nature... you get a damaged girl.
> > (yes, you would still love her).
> > But why mess with nature.
> > Sometimes it is Chance.
> > Sometimes there are reasons.
>

> Huh? The father's X sperm don't make *any* boys, much
> less weak ones and his Y sperm don't make *any* girls. While
> the method espoused may or may not work (it's basically just
> the Shettles method, which one can follow without paying any
> money to anyone), it's not doing anything likely to promote
> genetically inferior babies.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Lynne M.
August 5th 03, 03:57 PM
(Shana) wrote in message >...
> Thank you everyone for quite spirited discussion!
>
> But assuming i am willing to take risk of faster or slower sperm, the
> question remains - will it work? I already have two boys and do not
> want to try again if it will not work. The website says their kit can
> be very effective but i do not know if to believe it. Has anybody
> tried with this product?

I certainly haven't tried this product, but I looked at the website.
It appears to offer your money back if you aren't satisfied. I took
that to mean they'd refund your $200 if you wound up having another
boy. I'm sure that they cannot *guarantee* that you will conceive
a girl, only that they can sell you instructions for things you can
do to make it more likely that you will conceive a particular gender.
If it doesn't *work,* they are only out $200 and you are stuck with
another boy.

As far as I know, the methods they mention, like timing intercourse
and attempting to create a favorable environment for either X or Y
chromosomes, are quite safe -- they just aren't guaranteed. (Other
methods, like spinning sperm, are far more expensive but do up the
odds of a particular sex considerably.) My personal advice would
be that you not go ahead with another child if you are not prepared
to love another boy. If you are, then try the methods and take what
you get. Good luck, Lynne

Ericka Kammerer
August 5th 03, 05:35 PM
Shana wrote:

> Thank you everyone for quite spirited discussion!
>
> But assuming i am willing to take risk of faster or slower sperm, the
> question remains - will it work? I already have two boys and do not
> want to try again if it will not work. The website says their kit can
> be very effective but i do not know if to believe it. Has anybody
> tried with this product?

I am not an expert, by any means, but I'll give you my
opinion anyway ;-) Personally, I would never rely on their
effectiveness estimates. If you really only want a girl,
then you can't afford the risk. It is certainly possible
for you to have a boy instead, and it wouldn't be fair to
that child. As I mentioned in another post, what they're
selling is basically the Shettles method, and I'm unaware
of any solid, replicated research supporting that method as
being anywhere near as effective as you'd need it to be, given
that you wouldn't want to risk another boy. The only methods
I'm aware of that would really guarantee a girl would be
adoption or some kind of IVF procedure that implanted only
female embryos. I think there's another technology where
they basically spin the sperm to separate the girl sperm
from the boy sperm and then do artificial insemination, but
I don't know how widely available that is and I don't know
how reliable it is. And there are certainly ethical issues
such that you might have a difficult time finding doctors
who would enable this sort of sex selection.
That said, I had two boys before getting pregnant
again. We were not using the Shettles method, but it so
happened that the month I conceived the timing would have
been favorable for a girl according to the Shettles method,
and we did end up with a girl. But again, I have known
several people who have tried this method and have ended
up with babies of the other sex, so I *definitely* would
not recommend relying on it.

Best wishes,
Ericka

H Schinske
August 5th 03, 08:41 PM
>Shana wrote:
>
>> Thank you everyone for quite spirited discussion!
>>
>> But assuming i am willing to take risk of faster or slower sperm, the
>> question remains - will it work? I already have two boys and do not
>> want to try again if it will not work.

Even if you knew of a method that had a 95 percent success rate, what if you
were the 1 in 20 whom it didn't work for? I would not want to be the child of
the "wrong" sex in that situation. If you really have your heart set on a girl,
then the only way to get one for sure is to adopt a baby who's already born.

--Helen

Sue
August 6th 03, 03:53 AM
If you are not willing to accept a child of either gender, then I might
suggest you do not have any more children. NO method is 100% so therefore
you are wasting your money on any product that says otherwise.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

om...