PDA

View Full Version : What are the acronyms??

Carol Ann
August 4th 03, 06:20 PM
AF? I'm trying and trying to figure it out. TOM = Time of Month, but AF???

Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Challenges!
www.bestinatlanta.com ~ Your City Guide to Metro Atlanta!

Carol Ann
August 4th 03, 06:42 PM
:: AF = Aunt Flo, a common euphenism for your period (which I never
:: hear being used offline to be honest)

Thanks, ROFL!

Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Challenges!
www.bestinatlanta.com ~ Your City Guide to Metro Atlanta!

Valerie Rake
August 4th 03, 09:14 PM
jjmoreta wrote:

>"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
ink.net...

>>AF? I'm trying and trying to figure it out. TOM = Time of Month, but
>>
>AF???
>

>>Carol Ann
>>www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Challenges!
>>www.bestinatlanta.com ~ Your City Guide to Metro Atlanta!
>>

>AF = Aunt Flo, a common euphenism for your period (which I never hear being
>used offline to be honest)
>
>- Joanne
> #1 - 25w6d

I had a PE teacher in junior high who used Aunt Flo as a euphemism. She
was decidedly odd, though....

Valerie

little one
August 4th 03, 11:04 PM
Ok, now i have a question...i guessed AF, but can't seem to figure out
AP or 2ww? can you help me too??

(thanks carol ann for starting this thread. i was just struggling
trying to figure all of these out.)

melanie

Iuil
August 4th 03, 11:19 PM
"little one" wrote
> Ok, now i have a question...i guessed AF, but can't seem to figure out
> AP or 2ww? can you help me too??

AP = Attachment Parenting
2ww = 2 week wait (the time between ovulation and when your period's due)

> (thanks carol ann for starting this thread. i was just struggling
> trying to figure all of these out.)

Doesn't someone have an FAQ on this - I'm sure there used to be one posted
regularly.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Carol Ann
August 5th 03, 04:14 AM
:: Here's a good one:
::
:: http://www.inciid.org/acronyms.html

Perfect! Thank you!

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

The Huwe Family
August 5th 03, 03:47 PM
How about DH (I figured it had something to do with Husband) DD (Child of
some sort)

I did figure out SIL (sister in Law) and BF (breast Feeding)

Gayle
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> AF? I'm trying and trying to figure it out. TOM = Time of Month, but
AF???

> Carol Ann
> www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Challenges!
> www.bestinatlanta.com ~ Your City Guide to Metro Atlanta!

Carol Ann
August 5th 03, 03:58 PM
:: How about DH (I figured it had something to do with Husband) DD
:: (Child of some sort)
::
:: I did figure out SIL (sister in Law) and BF (breast Feeding)

DH = Dear Husband
DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son

At least that's what I think they mean!

~Carol Ann

Donna
August 5th 03, 09:51 PM
Some info that has already been shared, and some hopefully new/fun
stuff!.... Donna (i'm new here - hello all!)

TTC Abbreviations

2ww = Two Week Wait or the Luteal Phase - 14 DPO on average.
AF = Aunt Flo, menstruation, period
BBT = Basal Body Temperature
BD = Baby Dance, Sex
BFN = Big Fat Negative (Result on a HPT)
BFP = Big Fat Positive (Result on a HPT)
CB = Cycle Buddy
CD = Cycle Day
CL = Corpus Luteum
CM = Cervical Mucus
CP = Cervical Position
DH = Dear Husband
DP = Dancing Partner; spouse, or significant other, Dear Partner
DPO = Days Post-Ovulation
EC = Embryo Cryo/Freezing
EDD = Estimated Due Date
EWCM = Egg-White Cervical Mucus
hCG = Human Chorionic Gonadotropin - detected by HPTs
HPT = Home Pregnancy Test
HSG = Hysterosalpingogram - x-ray
ICSI = Microfertilization
IUI = Intrauterine Insemination
IVF = In Vitro Fertilization
KEGELS = The muscle used to stop the flow of urine. Very important to keep
it toned by flex & hold. Referred to as doing your Kegels
LH = Luteinizing Hormone - detected in OPKs
LP = Luteal Phase, days between ov & AF
O or OV = Ovulation
OPK = Ovulation Predictor Kit
PG = Pregnancy, pregnant
PNV = Prenatal Vitamin
RE = Reproductive Endocronolgist - doctor who specializes in fertility
problems
SA = Semen Analysis
ROBI = A term used which refers to Robitussin or Guaifenesin Syrup
(expectorant) used to thin CM
TR = Tubal Reversal
TTC = Trying To Conceive

----

A little bit of humor:
Author unknown

Psycho-symptom-atic Syndrome - a psychosomatic condition afflicting women
during the two-week waiting period; marked by a tendency to incorrectly
attribute every bodily twinge and twitch to the early stages of pregnancy.

Yearnation - the overwhelming urge to urinate while recording your morning
basal body temperature reading.

Peetience - what you learn to acquire when starting to chart your basal body
temperature.

Corp-peeing - anytime a OPK or HPT is taken at work in the company's Ladies
Room. Anyone who has done this, I'm sure, has visions of the looks on their
co-workers faces if they come into the Ladies Room the same time your watch
alarm is going off after the 3-5 minute wait time.

Stall Talking - the time between a Corp-pee and test results. Usually things
like - "please, please, please, let's see a plus sign this time" "aw come,
on hurry up", or "Man! not again!". A time you
hope your co-workers do not hear you or recognize it as you in the stall by
the shoes you are wearing.

Bladder Praying - praying that your bladder will fill up so that you can
take an HPT - because it's day 29 and you KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE TEST
RESULTS ARE GOING TO BE POSITIVE THIS TIME.

BasalBedBouncing - the earthquake-like sensation you get while shaking down
your mercury basal thermometer in bed.

Pregsplotion - the sudden abundance of pregnant women in your vicinity
within hours of your negative pregnancy test.

Coitus timeruptus - the practice of timing intercourse to correspond with
the timing of ovulation.

Doggus interruptus - when your dog interrupts sex.

Cattus interrupus - when your cat interrupts sex.

Coinus interruptus - the impact of infertility treatments on one's
pocketbook.

Mucusology - the inexact science of attempting to determine the timing of
ovulation.

"The Sperminator" - nickname for any friend of your husband's who insists on
extended sauna sessions after playing squash.

Freeballing - the step beyond boxers taken by truly devoted husbands with
low sperm count.

Freeballitis - chaffing and raw skin associated with freeballing.

Sizzlers - men's bikini underwear.

Briefectomy - furtive removal of all tight-fitting briefs from your
husband's underwear drawer.

Rigorous mortis - loss of interest in sex due to lack of spontaneity in
timing.

Get shorty - mission of women married to men afflicted by rigorous mortis.

Male sex drive - something constantly in motion, but shuts down completely
from his wife's cycle days 10-16, because, after all, what's the use...

Transfurryence - treating your pets like human babies.

Furrtility - when your cat gets pregnant.

Clearpit Easy - bottomless pit into which women hurl buckets of money while
repeatedly testing for pregnancy way too early or while testing for an LH
surge.

"Looteal" phase: The period of time between cycles when all of the insurance
statements/doctor's bills come in from the beginning of the cycle. Also a
time to save $$ for the upcoming cycle.

Assincline - the odd-looking practice of elevating a woman's buttocks after
intercourse in order to maximize the sperm's ability to swim for the egg.

Hubincline - the odd-looking practice of placing a woman's buttocks on her
husband's back after intercourse in order to maximize the sperm's ability to
swim for the egg.

Gluteus Unrelaximus - side effect of the uncomfortable act of propping up
the buttocks after baby-sex.

Feather-butting - the ungraceful act of a woman propping her butt up on
FEATHER pillows after sex to improve the chances of conception.

Butt-proposition - the act of having one's butt up on pillows and trying to
look graceful in that position.

Buttressing - the act of firmly putting your feet on your lover's back as he
lifts up and shoves pillows under your butt (for the assincline,
feather-butting position). Buttressing often needs to be repeated to make
sure you get the proper assincline.

Flying Buttresses - the condition of having pillows fly out from under you
as you attempt the feather-butting, assincline position.

Mucuscide - having mucus that kills your darling husband's sperm.

Hindsight - looking back to see what is happening as you get your shot!

Bummper Stickher - a hybrid sport involving a cross between mountaineering
and coitus non-interruptus.

Sperm washing - what you have to do to the sheets when hubby accidentally
falls off the pillows at JUST the wrong moment and / or you
cough/sneeze/laugh just after that precise moment.

Climbmax - what you say to hubby (if his name is Max) as he prepares to
ascend the mountain of pillows before him.

Punjab - Cracking jokes to take your wife's mind off the fact that you are
about to give her a shot.

Pokejoy - The _imagined_ glee wives think that husbands get from sticking
them in the butt with a needle.

Darts - the art of throwing a lethal weapon in the general direction of your
darling wife's rear end with your eyes half closed from sleep and hoping
that you hit the bull's (or should I say cow's?) eye.

Pokeher - a game much like darts, only it involves a little more thought and
it appears to be a little less random.

Flying buttress - an architectural feature, consisting of an elaborate
constuct of cushions and pillows designed to maintain the would-be mother's
posterior in the optimum position for fertilization following darts or
pokeher.

Lubiscus - embarrassingly goopy wet feeling after an uncomfortably intimate
examination or procedure.

Indifferent costimulus - the need during intercourse for her to concentrate
on fertilizing and him to avoid all thoughts of fertility/infertility and
just come.

Buttcushion - where you store your fertility shot needles.

Monthus offalus - taking a month off from baby-making sex, trying to
remember what exactly "birth control" is, so you can be poked and prodded
mercilessly with no hope of getting pregnant.

Posistick/Negastick (noun) - the urine-filled ovulation predictor kit or
home pregnancy test stick.

Posistickly/Negastickly (adverb) -- example of usage -- "I am posistickly
sure that I will ovulate so please come home immediately!"

Piddlesticks - an exclamation made after mistakenly splashing on the window
of an ovulation predictor kit or home pregnancy test urine-stream stick, as
in "Oh piddlesticks."

The-Mom-meter - instrument for determining best time to get pregnant.

Day-one-dering - wondering why oh why you have to deal with "day one", yet
again!

Fanta-sizing - Dreaming what you would look like nine months pregnant.

Laparophobia - in intense sense of dread preceding laparoscopy, marked by
last-ditch efforts to get pregnant and avoid having the procedure (like you
weren't already trying your hardest).

Misconception - the pathetic belief that you might actually manage to
conceive naturally the month before a laparoscopy.

Missedconception - the pathetic belief that you actually would have
conceived if you and your partner hadn't avoided sex while you were having a
MASSIVE fight; also the pathetic belief that you actually would have
conceived if you and your partner hadn't avoided sex in spite of being toooo
tired because you both had worked 15 hour days for the previous three.

Mythconceptions - what happened on Mad About You and any urban folklore
about people who got pregnant on vacation, after they adopted, etc.

Preconception - the insane belief that you will get pregnant before you have
to do IVF.

Preconceived notion - the idea (before trying to get pregnant) that one will
get pregnant within a month or two, three at the most.

Hormonophobia - dread fear of saying the wrong thing to your wife when she
is on fertility drugs.

Follow-pee-in Tube - the little glass vial into which one puts her urine for
an ovulation predictor kit, in order to determine if an egg is about to make
its trip along the fallopian tube.

Pitspermitis - the crick in your armpit which arises from carrying that
plastic bottle of semen from home to the clinic.

Pregtember - name of the month you hope to be pregnant by.

Preggozone - the magnetic area around all infertile women that draws
expectant mothers into close viewing range; the first day of any cycle has
the greatest magnetic field, closely followed by any day on which an
infertile woman fails a pregnancy test.

Pregnorance - the inevitable brain shrinkage that occurs in pregnant women
making them seem less intelligent.

Pregnesia - the way pregnant women forget everything, sometimes even the
fact that they were infertile.

Multiple Dwarf Syndrome - a state caused by the ups and downs of fertility
treatments, characterized by describing oneself as some combination of
grumpy, sleepy, dopey, bashful, etc; especially effective descriptor if you
include what we like to call the "alternative dwarves," such as horny,
bitchy, barfy, crampy, etc.

Prince Charming (or Hubbie without a Choice) - the name for a sweet husband
who is infinitely patient and kind while you have Multiple Dwarf Syndrome.

Snow White Complex - the mental state following your careful examination of
white undies and panty liners for indications of mucus or menstrual flow;
any hint of red on white or confusing mucus signs gives you the absolute
right to take on any or all of the emotions in the Multiple Dwarf Syndrome.

Joe Pesci Syndrome - the overwhelming urge (which occurs around day 12 of a
Metrodin/Humegon cycle) to attack someone rude with a pen, pencil, or
whatever's handy.

Reverse Pharmacology - taking Birth Control Pills in the month before your
IVF.

Ticklesticles - extremely ticklish testicles!

Miss Mannerism - the habit, when people ask you nosy questions about when
you're going to get pregnant or make rude comments like "want my kids?" of
looking a combination of shocked and puzzled and saying something like, "Why
ever would you say such a thing?"

Graphic Imagination - tweaking, massaging, reorienting, or redrawing your
basal body temperature graph/data in an attempt to see either a temperature
rise or the magic triphasic pregnancy pattern.

Inferguilty - how you feel when you're having a bad day and you read
someone's post announcing their pregnancy and you are overcome with the urge
to kill them.

Clomidfiend - A woman under the influence of Clomid-induced mood swings;
someone who wants to blame anything and everything on the drug.

ClomiWITCH - a woman under the influence of Clomid. She can become the
WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST!!!!! Also ClomiBITCH.

Clomidbuddy - the invisible but very useful "nobody" who is TRULY
responsible for all the awful things mistakenly attributed to a woman on
Clomid. ("It wasn't ME who smashed those dishes onto the floor in
Clomid-induced anger ... It was the Clomidbuddy.")

Metrodinner - the evening meal preceded by a shot in the tush.

Perganol-tory - the two-week, in-between waiting time

Laying the PIPE DREAMS - the vain hope that if you just relax and enjoy the
ride you might actually get pregnant.

Wining and complaining - drinking LOTS of red wine while whining about
another negative pregnancy test.

Class-preppanoia - the irrational thought which strikes a first-time
university professor (while doing class preparation) that a student in one
of her classes might do a usenet search on her computer id, finding all her
silly postings to alt.infertility; symptoms include madly removing all
personal references from her web page (cats, husband, all signs of having a
real life) to avoid the students thinking she might actually be *human*.

Justwaition -
1. the two weeks between ovulation and a pregnancy test.
2. a period of time just before gestation.

Hormotional - easily rattled emotional state brought on by hormone surges;
especially symptomatic of women on fertility drugs.

Barbe shower- a baby shower disguised as a back yard barbecue.

Indijection - getting sick to your stomach while getting Metrodin shots.

Naturalism - the pathetic belief that any egg produced when your doctor
wasn't expecting it (e.g. not induced by HCG, not induced by fertility
drugs, etc.) is miraculously more fertile than the rest, as though somehow
your medical care is specifically causing your infertility. (Also known as
"A watched egg never fertilizes syndrome".)

Cruisin' for a bruisin' - driving one hour each way in rush-hour traffic to
have blood drawn by a technician who's blind in one eye and has arthritis in
both hands.

Hormonally Challenged - the politically correct term for a woman who is
having mood swings due to infertility treatment.

Pregnition - the act of starting on fertility treatment.

Hockey puck season - that time of the cycle when your breasts are sore and
feel like hockey pucks; coincident with a desire that your partner relieve
his desires by playing hockey with his buddies rather than get his hands
anywhere near your breasts.

Hystericalsingogram - A singing telegram performed with wild gyrations by a
wife when telling her husband the pregnancy test is positive.

Postcoital Nest - the secret vaginal hiding place where sperm hide when they
are faced with fertilization-anxiety; especially frequented by sperm
avoiding the cervix-swab during a post-coital test.

Petri dish - a womb with a view (for IVFers).

Inputty - what your brain turns to after reading too many newsgroup messages
at one time.

Totsicles - frozen embryos waiting to be transferred.

Popsicle - the straw containing frozen sperm, from a husband or donor, that
will be used in an insemination.