PDA

View Full Version : Teachers: A different Breed

Thom
October 23rd 05, 02:33 PM
I take my hat off to all K12 teachers. I am finding it completely amazing what a teacher has to go through during a school year.

I am a new teacher in a small metropolitan school district. I was part of the computer support staff for the same district off and on for 8 years.

When I was part of the computer support staff, teachers were described as having the greatest career in the world. They had summers off and only worked 6 hours a day. Teachers constantly complained and always wanted more money.

Now that I am a teacher, it is completely opposite. I am working harder now than I did the 8 years as a computer technician. That’s just the weekly paper. Start including the actual interactions with the students, I have more than tripled the amount of work.

I don’t believe it would be this hard if parenting could return the way it was 20 to 30 years ago; when parents could take the time to discipline and play with there child (ren). Because of the way society has evolved, more and more of the parenting role has been put into the school district. And with this responsibility comes the inability to apply appropriate punishment and encouragement. For example, a student has been struggling with my class ever since I started. I am finally able to find a way to get through to the student. The student takes a quiz and scores a 100 percent. I would never hug any of my students, but I cannot give the student a “hi five” either.

I again take my hat off to K12 teachers, because they are the only people that I know willing to teach and raise children with their hands tied.

Because of this, I find teaching to be a very noble and honorable profession; but not for me.

www.auto-send.com/tr.php?537

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20050901185318U1x2AwB0