PDA

View Full Version : natural childbirth and physical fitness

Stephanie
August 5th 03, 09:15 PM
Hello. I have just contacted the one and only doula I could find in my
area. I am thinking of hiring her, if I can afford it, so that I can
have a natural childbirth. We have decided to have this baby in the
hospital for 2 main reasons, my DH is very turned off by a home birth
and we are way too far away from a hospital in case of a medical
emergency. So the way to go would be hospital plus doula I would
think.

I have a copy of a book "Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving
Birth Naturally" which I got from the library. It comes recommended by
some folks on amazon who have written reviews. Anyway, they talk a lot
about pregnancy exercises. This made me think about physical fitness'
role in a natural birth. I am not currently terribly physically fit. I
am at risk of incompetent cervix. I have been exhorted to "take it
easy" from medical professionals and family alike. As a result I have
not done a lot of exercise. The most strenous thing I do is play with
my toddler. And like any pregnant person, I get up once an hour to
pee, my hips and back ache... This does not sound like super
preparation for marching about in labor. In fact, DAMN but I am tired.

So I would like to not think that this is a big impediment to
proceeding under the assumption that I can do this. I am thinking that
the endorphins will kick in and all will be well. But I would love it
if someone could give me anecdotes about how they sat on the couch and
ate ice cream and potato chips their whole pregnancy, did not sleep
the last 3 months, then was full of vigor when labor struck. Anyone?

Thanks

Stephanie

Phoebe & Allyson
August 5th 03, 09:34 PM
Stephanie wrote:

> So I would like to not think that this is a big impediment to
> proceeding under the assumption that I can do this. I am thinking that
> the endorphins will kick in and all will be well. But I would love it
> if someone could give me anecdotes about how they sat on the couch and
> ate ice cream and potato chips their whole pregnancy, did not sleep
> the last 3 months, then was full of vigor when labor struck. Anyone?

I didn't make any particular attempt to exercise during
pregnancy. But my office was on the second floor, and the
bathroom and kitchen were on the first floor, so I went up
and down the stairs 6 or 8 times a day during the last few
months. Other than that, I got essentially no exercise.
However, I have a lot of stamina for walking - going from no
exercise at all to 6 or 8 hours a day of hiking doesn't
bother me.

I went into labor at 11:00 Thursday evening. By 8am Friday,
I was tired. By 8pm Friday, I was exhausted. Then things
sped up, and stopped noticing whether I was tired or not.
Caterpillar was born at 3:36 Saturday morning, and I wasn't
tired until 2 days later. I didn't feel that giving birth
was particularly physically demanding, though; I was up and
about shortly thereafter (and had to be put back to bed by
the midwives), and had no lingering soreness.

Labor speeding up was a direct result of eating more
high-energy food, so if I had it to do over again, I'd have
eaten more regularly. I had a homebirth, so I could eat or
drink whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

Phoebe :)

Sue
August 6th 03, 12:57 AM
Raises hand. I didn't exercise and wasn't physically fit with any of my
pregnancies and definitely not after the first. My first resulted in an
epidural that didn't take and two unmedicated, no interventions births. It
can be done. But, perhaps walking around the block a few times a day would
help.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Stephanie > wrote in message
om...
> Hello. I have just contacted the one and only doula I could find in my
> area. I am thinking of hiring her, if I can afford it, so that I can
> have a natural childbirth. We have decided to have this baby in the
> hospital for 2 main reasons, my DH is very turned off by a home birth
> and we are way too far away from a hospital in case of a medical
> emergency. So the way to go would be hospital plus doula I would
> think.
>
> I have a copy of a book "Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving
> Birth Naturally" which I got from the library. It comes recommended by
> some folks on amazon who have written reviews. Anyway, they talk a lot
> about pregnancy exercises. This made me think about physical fitness'
> role in a natural birth. I am not currently terribly physically fit. I
> am at risk of incompetent cervix. I have been exhorted to "take it
> easy" from medical professionals and family alike. As a result I have
> not done a lot of exercise. The most strenous thing I do is play with
> my toddler. And like any pregnant person, I get up once an hour to
> pee, my hips and back ache... This does not sound like super
> preparation for marching about in labor. In fact, DAMN but I am tired.
>
> So I would like to not think that this is a big impediment to
> proceeding under the assumption that I can do this. I am thinking that
> the endorphins will kick in and all will be well. But I would love it
> if someone could give me anecdotes about how they sat on the couch and
> ate ice cream and potato chips their whole pregnancy, did not sleep
> the last 3 months, then was full of vigor when labor struck. Anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephanie

jjmoreta
August 6th 03, 05:18 PM
"Stephanie" > wrote in message
om...

*snip*

> I have a copy of a book "Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving
> Birth Naturally" which I got from the library. It comes recommended by
> some folks on amazon who have written reviews. Anyway, they talk a lot
> about pregnancy exercises. This made me think about physical fitness'
> role in a natural birth. I am not currently terribly physically fit. I
> am at risk of incompetent cervix. I have been exhorted to "take it
> easy" from medical professionals and family alike. As a result I have
> not done a lot of exercise. The most strenous thing I do is play with
> my toddler. And like any pregnant person, I get up once an hour to
> pee, my hips and back ache... This does not sound like super
> preparation for marching about in labor. In fact, DAMN but I am tired.
>
> So I would like to not think that this is a big impediment to
> proceeding under the assumption that I can do this. I am thinking that
> the endorphins will kick in and all will be well. But I would love it
> if someone could give me anecdotes about how they sat on the couch and
> ate ice cream and potato chips their whole pregnancy, did not sleep
> the last 3 months, then was full of vigor when labor struck. Anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephanie

I'm currently studying the Bradley Method, and from what I've read, overall
physical fitness doesn't have a huge importance, except possibly in
endurance during long or difficult pushing. But since you're supposed to
try and relax through contractions, early labor is all about resting. They
recommend exercises, but these are more for stretching things out to make
labor positions easier. Bradley recommends tailor sitting whenever
possible, squatting whenever possible, and pelvic rocks (I might be leaving
something out but I'm just getting into this - a little late, I know).
Another good thing to do is perineal massage, which you don't need to do
until towards the end, which helps reduce tears.

I really endorse looking into the Bradley Method if you're interested in
natural childbirth. It does emphasize the husband or labor partner A LOT,
which you might not be interested in, though. The exercises and the
reasoning behind them make sense, though. They also make a lot of good
points about the rest of labor - so I'd recommend at least a read-through of
them.

The two main books are:

Bradley, Robert. _Husband Coached Childbirth: The Bradley Method of Natural
Childbirth_. January, 1996. ISBN 0553375563
McCutcheon, Susan. _Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way_. July, 1996. ISBN
0452276594

I read through the Robert Bradley book and purchased the one by Susan
McCutcheon. She includes everything Bradley says, but lays it out in an
easier-to-adopt format, and includes pictures to help show you how to do the
exercises properly (the Bradley book is text-only).

And as previous people have replied about - water exercise is EXCELLENT!
Not only am I getting some exercise, I find it easier to stretch things out
and I suffer less hip and back pain up to a few days afterward!

- Joanne
#1 - 26w1d

toypup
August 6th 03, 05:23 PM
"jjmoreta" > wrote in message
> I'm currently studying the Bradley Method, and from what I've read,
overall
> physical fitness doesn't have a huge importance, except possibly in
> endurance during long or difficult pushing. But since you're supposed to
> try and relax through contractions, early labor is all about resting.
They
> recommend exercises, but these are more for stretching things out to make
> labor positions easier. Bradley recommends tailor sitting whenever
> possible, squatting whenever possible, and pelvic rocks (I might be
leaving
> something out but I'm just getting into this - a little late, I know).
> Another good thing to do is perineal massage, which you don't need to do
> until towards the end, which helps reduce tears.

I like the Bradley method for its philosophy, but when I was in labor, I
threw every method out the window. Having DH as support would have been so
irritating, since I just wanted to go inside myself and concentrate. I
didn't want to talk to anyone or have anyone touch me. Everyone I've talked
to have said the same thing, once labor starts, you go with the flow. The
difference, I think, is the amount of intervention you are willing to
receive. Having a Bradley mindset, I didn't want any intervention. I think
reading Bradley helped me steer clear and stay intervention-free.

jjmoreta
August 7th 03, 05:46 AM
"toypup" > wrote in message
et...

*snip*

> I like the Bradley method for its philosophy, but when I was in labor, I
> threw every method out the window. Having DH as support would have been
so
> irritating, since I just wanted to go inside myself and concentrate. I
> didn't want to talk to anyone or have anyone touch me. Everyone I've
talked
> to have said the same thing, once labor starts, you go with the flow. The
> difference, I think, is the amount of intervention you are willing to
> receive. Having a Bradley mindset, I didn't want any intervention. I
think
> reading Bradley helped me steer clear and stay intervention-free.

Well if I can get at least that out of Bradley, I'll be thrilled. 8) This
will be my first baby so I'm going to try and do things the way I think they
ought to be - Bradley childbirth, breastfeeding, cosleeping (sidecar crib),
attachment parenting, etc. But I've already decided that if any of these
don't work out, I'm not going to be depressed or feel like a failure. At
least I will have tried.

I don't know how I'm going to react to labor, but my DH and I are extremely
close and I think I would love his support. I also think he would freak if
he didn't have a specific role to play. All I have to do is actually get
him to read the Bradley book... *light bulb lights* And we have a two hour
ride (each way) in a motorhome on Saturday...perfect... *evil grin* He
can't escape... LOL Honestly, though, if he wants no part of it, I know my
best friend would stand as a doula for me if I asked. I can't say I would
understand and not be a raging hormonal dragon over it, but I wouldn't force
him.

- Joanne
#1 - 26w1d

Marie
August 7th 03, 07:22 AM
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:46:39 -0500, "jjmoreta" >
wrote:
>I don't know how I'm going to react to labor, but my DH and I are extremely
>close and I think I would love his support. I also think he would freak if
>he didn't have a specific role to play. All I have to do is actually get
>him to read the Bradley book... *light bulb lights* And we have a two hour
>ride (each way) in a motorhome on Saturday...perfect... *evil grin* He
>can't escape... LOL Honestly, though, if he wants no part of it, I know my
>best friend would stand as a doula for me if I asked. I can't say I would
>understand and not be a raging hormonal dragon over it, but I wouldn't force
>him.

Dh and I planned an unassisted homebirth. His "job" was to support me
through labour. And that is exactly what he did. He was on his knees
on the floor as I was on the bed, sitting up facing him and holding
onto him with my arms around his neck. This is how it was the last few
hours of labour, us holding each other. There was so much love flowing
between us, and trust. I did all the reading just about; he read about
cord care and certain other things so we'd be prepared but he didn't
read any kind of labour support books (and I had bought many lol)
I guess that is alot of pressure to put on some men, but for us it was
perfect. Dh loved it (though he came away with a sore neck and back
for days!) and it did bring us even closer. I had put all my trust in
him to help e through it, and he knew it, and wanted it that way.
So there is my experience with a dh as labour support.
Marie

August 8th 03, 05:00 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Stephanie wrote:
>

> > I have a copy of a book "Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving
> > Birth Naturally" which I got from the library. It comes recommended by
> > some folks on amazon who have written reviews. Anyway, they talk a lot
> > about pregnancy exercises. This made me think about physical fitness'
> > role in a natural birth. I am not currently terribly physically fit. I
> > am at risk of incompetent cervix. I have been exhorted to "take it
> > easy" from medical professionals and family alike. As a result I have
> > not done a lot of exercise. The most strenous thing I do is play with
> > my toddler. And like any pregnant person, I get up once an hour to
> > pee, my hips and back ache... This does not sound like super
> > preparation for marching about in labor. In fact, DAMN but I am tired.
> >
> > So I would like to not think that this is a big impediment to
> > proceeding under the assumption that I can do this. I am thinking that
> > the endorphins will kick in and all will be well. But I would love it
> > if someone could give me anecdotes about how they sat on the couch and
> > ate ice cream and potato chips their whole pregnancy, did not sleep
> > the last 3 months, then was full of vigor when labor struck. Anyone?
>

> I'm sure it probably depends on what sort of out of
> shape you are, and I'm sure that being more physically fit
> is useful, but you certainly don't have to be an Olympic
> athelete to give birth naturally. It is a great deal of
> hard, physical work, but it's not like you're running a
> marathon. Also, I've never been a fan of marching about
> endlessly during labor ;-) I think walking is great for
> certain situations, and I think being upright is a very
> good thing, but I don't believe you have to log mile after
> mile in the halls to have a successful natural birth
> either. I felt like crap and didn't feel like moving much
> the last few months of my pregnancies (especially the
> summer ones) and didn't have trouble with any of my
> three births ;-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

16 years ago, in our birth class of ~10, I was not hugely active (no more
than running after a 2.5 yo). the one woman in our class that was very
active, very fit, ran a lot, probably swam and who knows what else was the
one of us that had a c-section. go figure, I thought it would be me - I've
never been fit. for this pg, I was even less fit. I got out of breath
going up a flight of stairs before I got pg, only exercise was walking a
short distance from car to office. I didn't have any problem with labor,
but my knees are now shot from carrying all that extra weight without being
able to take my good friend ibuprofen :(
--
Edith
oht nak