PDA

View Full Version : The solids question again!

CY
November 2nd 05, 04:49 AM
Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.

We went out for lunch yesterday and he grabbed some pita bread out of my
hands and sucked the life out of it, lol. He wails now during dinner time,
and is now grabbing for any food he sees and shoving it towards his mouth
( a new development - maybe 3 days).

I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do they
figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his birthday was
May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th, but will be 24
weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants it, I don't want to
deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of weeks going to make a
difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or has he already started??
Man, I thought the second time around should be easier, but I know so much
more this time around!!

Thanks for reading my rambling!!

Sidheag McCormack
November 2nd 05, 09:51 AM
CY writes:

> I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
> they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
> birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th,
> but will be 24 weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants
> it, I don't want to deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of
> weeks going to make a difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or
> has he already started?? Man, I thought the second time around should be
> easier, but I know so much more this time around!!

6 months is 6 months, not 24 weeks :-) i.e. it's 26 weeks, half a year.
However, nothing magical happens on the half year anniversary of their
birth... He's already started, and in sucking pitta bread, he's been
exposed to wheat, which is one of the major allergens; I assume you don't
have lots of allergies in your family or you'd have worried about this
more, though. I think if I were you I'd probably carry on with the things
he's already had, and maybe go on with some non-allergenic vegetables and
fruits if you want to, but I'd avoid introducing any other major allergens
for now.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Sue
November 2nd 05, 10:13 AM
I think you are over-thinking this and if a child wants solids and is ready,
you should give him something. Nothing magical happens at six months. It is
just a guideline. Personally, I would go by the baby and not the date on the
calendar.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"CY" > wrote in message
> Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now
really
> wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion,
> gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
> the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
> bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
> breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.
>
> We went out for lunch yesterday and he grabbed some pita bread out of my
> hands and sucked the life out of it, lol. He wails now during dinner
time,
> and is now grabbing for any food he sees and shoving it towards his mouth
> ( a new development - maybe 3 days).
>
> I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
they
> figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his birthday
was
> May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th, but will be 24
> weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants it, I don't want
> deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of weeks going to make a
> difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or has he already
started??
> Man, I thought the second time around should be easier, but I know so much
> more this time around!!
>
> Thanks for reading my rambling!!

Chookie
November 2nd 05, 11:33 AM
In article <GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21>, "CY" > wrote:

> Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
> wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
> gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
> the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
> bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
> breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.

I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling grass
and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any come
out the other end yet though.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Mamma Mia
November 2nd 05, 11:39 AM
"Chookie" > wrote in message
> In article <GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21>, "CY" >
> wrote:
>
>> Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now
>> really
>> wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's
>> suggestion, I
>> gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually
>> sucks
>> the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
>> bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
>> breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.
>
> I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling
> grass
> and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any
> come
> out the other end yet though.

LOL . he might think he is a dog or a cow

> --
> Chookie -- Sydney, Australia
> (Replace "foulspambegone" with "optushome" to reply)
>
> "In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
> nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
> Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Nikki
November 2nd 05, 01:42 PM
CY wrote:
> Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now
> really wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's
> suggestion, I gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES
> it. Actually sucks the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out
> of the washcloth in his bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's
> not technically "exclusively breastfed", but also think that he might
> be ready for some solids.
> We went out for lunch yesterday and he grabbed some pita bread out of
> my hands and sucked the life out of it, lol. He wails now during
> dinner time, and is now grabbing for any food he sees and shoving it
> towards his mouth ( a new development - maybe 3 days).
>
> I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How
> do they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg
> his birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until
> Nov 26th, but will be 24 weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but
> if he wants it, I don't want to deny him for no good reason - and is
> a couple of weeks going to make a difference, or in your opinions
> should I wait - or has he already started?? Man, I thought the second
> time around should be easier, but I know so much more this time
> around!!
> Thanks for reading my rambling!!

I probably wouldn't put so much thought into it ;-) Give him some very easy
to digest solids and see what he does. Once Luke started hollering for food
at the table for two weeks I finally gave in a bit before 6 months. I
couldn't really believe he was hungry because my first self-delayed solids
for such a long time. I started with mild things like sweet potatoe and
stayed with those types of things for longer then I might have. He loved it
and I felt a bit bad for holding out on him for two weeks ;-)
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

JennP
November 2nd 05, 02:43 PM
"CY" > wrote in message

> I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
they
> figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his birthday
was
> May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th, but will be 24
> weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants it, I don't want
> deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of weeks going to make a
> difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or has he already
started??
> Man, I thought the second time around should be easier, but I know so much
> more this time around!!
>
> Thanks for reading my rambling!!

You are way overthinking it. :) If he acts like he wants food, feed him. If
he doesn't then he'll let you know.

JennP.

JennP
November 2nd 05, 02:44 PM
"Chookie" > wrote in message

> I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling
grass
> and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any
come
> out the other end yet though.

LOL. Once he eats some dirt it will all pass through. ;)

JennP.

zolwica
November 2nd 05, 04:40 PM
I think it is not by 6 months, but rather by the signs your child gives
you. Your son seems to be ready to eat solids. Besides, he's already had
some solids.

CY wrote:
> Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
> wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
> gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
> the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
> bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
> breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.
>
> We went out for lunch yesterday and he grabbed some pita bread out of my
> hands and sucked the life out of it, lol. He wails now during dinner time,
> and is now grabbing for any food he sees and shoving it towards his mouth
> ( a new development - maybe 3 days).
>
> I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do they
> figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his birthday was
> May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th, but will be 24
> weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants it, I don't want to
> deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of weeks going to make a
> difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or has he already started??
> Man, I thought the second time around should be easier, but I know so much
> more this time around!!
>
> Thanks for reading my rambling!!

zolwica
November 2nd 05, 04:41 PM
LOL thanks for a good laugh

Chookie wrote:
> In article <GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21>, "CY" > wrote:
>

>>Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
>>wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
>>gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
>>the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
>>bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
>>breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.
>

> I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling grass
> and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any come
> out the other end yet though.

zolwica
November 2nd 05, 04:47 PM
Thanks! I second Sue's opinion.

People are going too much by the book! Children are not cars with
manuals. Every kid is going t be different and react differently. Be
careful in the kind of foods you introduce (just for allergies) & slowly
increase the variety of foods your child gets.

Sina started solids at age 4 months. Is healthy as a horse, no
allergies, not obese & no problems. She wanted the food, I gave her
food. She was eating table food by 8 months or so. She was not accepting
babyfood maybe 2 days after I introduced regular food.

On the other hand, my friend's son had no interest in solids what so
ever. Today at almost 18 months, my Sina (3 months younger) handles food
much better than him. He still chokes a bit on bigger foods. Nothing
wrong with him. Healthy boy, no allergies or obesity either.

Good luck

Mona
Sue wrote:
> I think you are over-thinking this and if a child wants solids and is ready,
> you should give him something. Nothing magical happens at six months. It is
> just a guideline. Personally, I would go by the baby and not the date on the
> calendar.

Anne Rogers
November 2nd 05, 05:19 PM
Sidheag, it was you wasn't it that said on uk.p.p that someone, you thought
Akuvikate had come up with the references and determined that there was not
a great deal of difference, just that 6 was better than 4? but not all that
much. So ultimately my feeling is don't offer solids before 6 months, but if
they are demanding solids then go with it, but within reasonable limits,
i.e. after 4 months. I think I'd be giving CY's DS food if he was mine, I'd
rather give carrot puree than let him eat pita bread, or paper, or.....

Anne

Iuil
November 2nd 05, 06:47 PM
My DS is 5 days older than yours. He's been on solids for two weeks, ever
since he leaned over and gummed a chunk of a banana I was eating! He
quickly copped on that bowls/plates and spoons meant food and started having
tantrums at mealtimes because everyone else was eating and he wasn't!! He's
lost the tongue thrust so thoroughly that I can spoonfeed him without using
a bib.

Sounds to me like your DS is ready too.

Jean

--
DD - June '02
DS - May '05

CY
November 2nd 05, 09:35 PM
lol - yeah, pita bread wasn't my first choice and he didn't actually "eat"
any of it, just sucked it. Once it got soggy enough that any of it would
break off, I took it away...I think he seems pretty open to new tastes
though - didn't grimace at all. DD didn't eat any solids until around 8
mths...
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> Sidheag, it was you wasn't it that said on uk.p.p that someone, you
> thought Akuvikate had come up with the references and determined that
> there was not a great deal of difference, just that 6 was better than 4?
> but not all that much. So ultimately my feeling is don't offer solids
> before 6 months, but if they are demanding solids then go with it, but
> within reasonable limits, i.e. after 4 months. I think I'd be giving CY's
> DS food if he was mine, I'd rather give carrot puree than let him eat pita
> bread, or paper, or.....
>
> Anne

Sarah Vaughan
November 3rd 05, 07:36 PM
In message <GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21>, CY >
writes
>I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
>they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
>birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov
>26th, but will be 24 weeks next week).

The WHO recommendations do actually give it as 6 months practically to
the day. However, if you read them, they're surprisingly flimsy - there
are _no_ studies showing an advantage of waiting until 6 months as
opposed to 4 months. Of course, there are physiological reasons why 6
months is likely to be better (more digestive enzymes, better head
control, no tongue thrust reflex) but I really don't think a week or two
in a baby who's already enjoying trying out solids is going to make a
scrap of difference.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished
they’d spent more time at the office?

Child
November 3rd 05, 10:24 PM
"Sarah Vaughan" > wrote in message
> In message <GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21>, CY > writes
>>I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
>>they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
>>birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th,
>>but will be 24 weeks next week).
>
> The WHO recommendations do actually give it as 6 months practically to the
> day. However, if you read them, they're surprisingly flimsy - there are
> _no_ studies showing an advantage of waiting until 6 months as opposed to
> 4 months. Of course, there are physiological reasons why 6 months is
> likely to be better (more digestive enzymes, better head control, no
> tongue thrust reflex) but I really don't think a week or two in a baby
> who's already enjoying trying out solids is going to make a scrap of
> difference.

Yesterday as I was reading I was thinking this very thought. Its very
flimsy.

> But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they
> wished
> they'd spent more time at the office?

Every time I read this sig, I laugh, and am reminded of my father who whined
to me when he was 65 that he should have spent more time with me when I was
a kid instead of working. I agree with him, although compared to my friends
dads who spent the weekends working on the lawn and watching football, he
was a total peach.