PDA

View Full Version : GBS and Glucose Tests

Daye
August 6th 03, 10:58 PM
Hello all...

I have been thinking about the GBS and Glucose Tests. Last pregnancy,
I was negative and in normal ranges. I am wondering if I should take
them again this time.

If I don't have the tests, what is the worst that can happen?
If you do test positive for GBS, what do they do for that?
If you are having a c-section, does the result of GBS even mean
anything to you?
If you do have GD, is there anything that can be done?

Did anyone here refuse the tests??

Any input will be appreciated! TIA!

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Kari
August 6th 03, 11:14 PM
I can't answer much but I am pretty sure if you test positive for GBS then
you will recieve IV antibiotics when you are in labor. Im not sure if being
negative before will guarantee that you will test the same again.

I am going to be tested for GBS at my next appt but I refused the glucose
test with no problem at all from my midwife. I tested negative both other
times, have low blood pressure, have not gained an excess amt of weight, and
Im under 35. I think those are all the biggest risk factors of GD and it
wasn't worth it for me to have yet another test.

I hope that helps at least a little bit!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 8 weeks

"Daye" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> I have been thinking about the GBS and Glucose Tests. Last pregnancy,
> I was negative and in normal ranges. I am wondering if I should take
> them again this time.
>
> If I don't have the tests, what is the worst that can happen?
> If you do test positive for GBS, what do they do for that?
> If you are having a c-section, does the result of GBS even mean
> anything to you?
> If you do have GD, is there anything that can be done?
>
> Did anyone here refuse the tests??
>
> Any input will be appreciated! TIA!
>
> --
> Daye
> Momma to Jayan
> EDD 11 Jan 2004

Kereru
August 7th 03, 02:16 AM
"Daye" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> I have been thinking about the GBS and Glucose Tests. Last pregnancy,
> I was negative and in normal ranges. I am wondering if I should take
> them again this time.

I am have taken the glucose test the second time because I had a big baby
first time around and am slightly overweight. Both are risk factors, without
these risk factors I wouldn't have bothered.

The strep bugs can come along in a second pregnancy because they are part of
the normal flora of your vagina. The infection sets in when there is an
inbalance for some reason and they multipy, so it's not a matter of catching
it from somewhere.

> If I don't have the tests, what is the worst that can happen?
> If you do test positive for GBS, what do they do for that?

You have anti-biotics by IV, if you don't and the baby gets GBS it can
become very sick and in rare cases it can be fatal for the baby. Again there
are risk factors that make it more important to test for GBS I'm not sure
what they are but vaginal infection is one. I elected to have the test first
time because of reccuent thrush. It was negative, I don't know if I will do
it this time, I will discuss it with my midwife.

> If you are having a c-section, does the result of GBS even mean
> anything to you?

Sorry can't answer that one, I wouldn't have thought so though since the
Strep beasties like to hang out in the vagina.

> If you do have GD, is there anything that can be done?

Yes first diet changes to keep BSL in the right range, if that doesn't work
insulin. Without treatment baby can be bron small, very large and have other
problems.

> Did anyone here refuse the tests??

My SIL refused both tests with both pregnancies with no problems. In my
opinion it's a matter of acessing your risk and then deciding based on that.

At the end of the day if you are unsure, both tests are uninvasive, aren't
overly unpleasant, and the results can be very important to baby's health.

I am not a Dr or midwife by the way so don't take my word as law!

> Any input will be appreciated! TIA!
>
> --
> Daye
> Momma to Jayan
> EDD 11 Jan 2004

Buzzy Bee
August 7th 03, 02:22 AM
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 07:58:28 +1000, Daye > wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
>Did anyone here refuse the tests??

Didn't refuse the test, but my midwife felt they were not necessary.
We agreed that if I had more than one questionable pee-stick we would
do the GTT. Never had a single one, so never had it.

GBS is not standard here anyway. We got queried as to why we hadn't
done it when we were in the NICU with Seoras. We pointed out that it
wasn't a standard test in our area and they accepted that without
question. It was ruled out as a cause of Seoras's problems anyway.

There was discussion here (at length) about GBS testing a wee while
ago. It might be worth googling.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)
Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com