PDA

View Full Version : vegetarian kids?

Zen Cohen
November 4th 05, 04:21 PM
Can anyone point me to authoritative/unbiased sources (preferrably
controlled studies) discussing whether infants can thrive on a vegetarian
diet? Thanks.

Mark Probert
November 4th 05, 05:07 PM
Zen Cohen wrote:
> Can anyone point me to authoritative/unbiased sources (preferrably
> controlled studies) discussing whether infants can thrive on a vegetarian
> diet? Thanks.

Not without breastmilk.

November 4th 05, 10:07 PM
Zen Cohen wrote:
> Can anyone point me to authoritative/unbiased sources (preferrably
> controlled studies) discussing whether infants can thrive on a vegetarian
> diet? Thanks.

1) Define 'infant'. (Do you mean six month olds or eighteen month
olds? I would never call the latter 'infants' but some people do.)

2) Define 'vegetarian'. Do you mean 'without meat' or 'without animal
products'?

Beth

CWatters
November 4th 05, 10:53 PM
"Zen Cohen" > wrote in message
> Can anyone point me to authoritative/unbiased sources (preferrably
> controlled studies) discussing whether infants can thrive on a vegetarian
> diet? Thanks.

It seems you might need to be careful ...

Vegan Infants & Toddlers with Serious B12 Deficiency
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/apinfants