PDA

View Full Version : bottle cleaning question

V.
November 8th 05, 02:36 AM
Well, I'm due in 3wks! In preparation I got out my Isis pump and put it
together, checked to make sure I knew how it worked, etc. in case I need it
right away (for nipple stim in labor or unexpected circumstances after
birth, we don't plan to introduce EBM until at least 4-6wks). Anyway, after
I messed around with it a bit I decided I should wash the pump and new
bottles. Ran them through the dishwasher and they came out with spots on
them and feeling kinda greasy (Avent pump and bottles). Handwashed them
next, same problem. Not sure if it's a big deal, but wondering if I need to
buy a sterilizer separate from the sterilization cycle of the dishwasher.
We have city water, and I think it might be heavy in minerals so that could
be the spots. If so, any idea if that is harmful?
Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Now that I'm in the waiting
stretch, seems like I don't have much to do but over-prepare!

Amy

Sue
November 8th 05, 01:31 PM
The spots are fine. You can put something like Jet in your dishwasher to get
rid of the spots, but it is not going to be a problem.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"V." > wrote in message
> Well, I'm due in 3wks! In preparation I got out my Isis pump and put it
> together, checked to make sure I knew how it worked, etc. in case I need
it
> right away (for nipple stim in labor or unexpected circumstances after
> birth, we don't plan to introduce EBM until at least 4-6wks). Anyway,
after
> I messed around with it a bit I decided I should wash the pump and new
> bottles. Ran them through the dishwasher and they came out with spots on
> them and feeling kinda greasy (Avent pump and bottles). Handwashed them
> next, same problem. Not sure if it's a big deal, but wondering if I need
> buy a sterilizer separate from the sterilization cycle of the dishwasher.
> We have city water, and I think it might be heavy in minerals so that
could
> be the spots. If so, any idea if that is harmful?
> Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Now that I'm in the
waiting
> stretch, seems like I don't have much to do but over-prepare!
>
> Amy

Patagonia
November 8th 05, 07:14 PM
"V." > wrote in message
> Well, I'm due in 3wks! In preparation I got out my Isis pump and put it
> together, checked to make sure I knew how it worked, etc. in case I need
> it
> right away (for nipple stim in labor or unexpected circumstances after
> birth, we don't plan to introduce EBM until at least 4-6wks). Anyway,
> after
> I messed around with it a bit I decided I should wash the pump and new
> bottles. Ran them through the dishwasher and they came out with spots on
> them and feeling kinda greasy (Avent pump and bottles). Handwashed them
> next, same problem. Not sure if it's a big deal, but wondering if I need
> buy a sterilizer separate from the sterilization cycle of the dishwasher.
> We have city water, and I think it might be heavy in minerals so that
> could
> be the spots. If so, any idea if that is harmful?
> Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Now that I'm in the
> waiting
> stretch, seems like I don't have much to do but over-prepare!
>
> Amy

Don't worry about the spots. I don't know about the greasy feeling - could
just be the way the bottles feel after being washed - could be totally
normal. The only thing I'd worry about would be detergent residue - but if
you washed the bottles the way you normally wash things and normally you
don't have a lot of residue, then don't sweat it. Babies tolerate a lot
more than people often think they will.

Cath
November 8th 05, 09:47 PM
V. > wrote:

> Well, I'm due in 3wks! In preparation I got out my Isis pump and put it
> together, checked to make sure I knew how it worked, etc. in case I need it
> right away (for nipple stim in labor or unexpected circumstances after
> birth, we don't plan to introduce EBM until at least 4-6wks). Anyway, after
> I messed around with it a bit I decided I should wash the pump and new
> bottles. Ran them through the dishwasher and they came out with spots on
> them and feeling kinda greasy (Avent pump and bottles). Handwashed them
> next, same problem. Not sure if it's a big deal, but wondering if I need to
> buy a sterilizer separate from the sterilization cycle of the dishwasher.
> We have city water, and I think it might be heavy in minerals so that could
> be the spots. If so, any idea if that is harmful?
> Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Now that I'm in the waiting
> stretch, seems like I don't have much to do but over-prepare!
>
> Amy

I had more or less the same thing with my Avent Isis after sterilising
it by boiling it for about 10 minutes. It looked more or less like
calcium deposit even though the water here is quite 'soft'. Since then
I've just washed it in hot soapy water. I haven't really bothered
sterilising it anymore, just washed in hot water. I started using it
when DS was 5 weeks. The deposit is still on it but hasn't caused a
problem.

HTH
Cath
Mom to Fenna born 5th of july 03
and Jens born 10th of august 05

V.
November 8th 05, 11:30 PM
"Cath" > wrote in message
> V. > wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm due in 3wks! In preparation I got out my Isis pump and put it
>> together, checked to make sure I knew how it worked, etc. in case I need
>> it
>> right away (for nipple stim in labor or unexpected circumstances after
>> birth, we don't plan to introduce EBM until at least 4-6wks). Anyway,
>> after
>> I messed around with it a bit I decided I should wash the pump and new
>> bottles. Ran them through the dishwasher and they came out with spots on
>> them and feeling kinda greasy (Avent pump and bottles). Handwashed them
>> next, same problem. Not sure if it's a big deal, but wondering if I need
>> buy a sterilizer separate from the sterilization cycle of the dishwasher.
>> We have city water, and I think it might be heavy in minerals so that
>> could
>> be the spots. If so, any idea if that is harmful?
>> Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Now that I'm in the
>> waiting
>> stretch, seems like I don't have much to do but over-prepare!
>>
>> Amy
>
> I had more or less the same thing with my Avent Isis after sterilising
> it by boiling it for about 10 minutes. It looked more or less like
> calcium deposit even though the water here is quite 'soft'. Since then
> I've just washed it in hot soapy water. I haven't really bothered
> sterilising it anymore, just washed in hot water. I started using it
> when DS was 5 weeks. The deposit is still on it but hasn't caused a
> problem.
>
> HTH
> Cath
> Mom to Fenna born 5th of july 03
> and Jens born 10th of august 05

Thanks guys! I didn't feel like sterilization was really necessary (I mean,
I don't boil my boobs, right?) but you know the things you start worrying
about when you have nothing to do but wait!

Amy

Anne Rogers
November 9th 05, 03:18 PM
> Thanks guys! I didn't feel like sterilization was really necessary (I
> mean, I don't boil my boobs, right?) but you know the things you start
> worrying about when you have nothing to do but wait!

Amy, I think the key thing with sterilising is that it is important for
something where milk is going to be stored, it's not so important for
something that milk is passing through. It takes time for bacteria to
multiply, so that will happen if it is left for time in an unclean
container. However if you pump then put in a sterile bag to freeze, then
defrost and pop in a clean but not sterilised bottle you should be fine.

Anne

Stephanie
November 9th 05, 05:08 PM
"V." > wrote in message
> Well, I'm due in 3wks! In preparation I got out my Isis pump and put it
> together, checked to make sure I knew how it worked, etc. in case I need
> it
> right away (for nipple stim in labor or unexpected circumstances after
> birth, we don't plan to introduce EBM until at least 4-6wks). Anyway,
> after
> I messed around with it a bit I decided I should wash the pump and new
> bottles. Ran them through the dishwasher and they came out with spots on
> them and feeling kinda greasy (Avent pump and bottles). Handwashed them
> next, same problem. Not sure if it's a big deal, but wondering if I need
> buy a sterilizer separate from the sterilization cycle of the dishwasher.

If you want to sterilize 'em, stick them in a pot of boiling water. There is
no need to buy a special gadget unless it offers some convenience.

> We have city water, and I think it might be heavy in minerals so that
> could
> be the spots. If so, any idea if that is harmful?
> Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Now that I'm in the
> waiting
> stretch, seems like I don't have much to do but over-prepare!
>
> Amy

Mum of Two
November 10th 05, 01:08 AM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
>> Thanks guys! I didn't feel like sterilization was really necessary (I
>> mean, I don't boil my boobs, right?) but you know the things you start
>> worrying about when you have nothing to do but wait!
>
> Amy, I think the key thing with sterilising is that it is important for
> something where milk is going to be stored, it's not so important for
> something that milk is passing through. It takes time for bacteria to
> multiply, so that will happen if it is left for time in an unclean
> container. However if you pump then put in a sterile bag to freeze, then
> defrost and pop in a clean but not sterilised bottle you should be fine.

ITA. Breastmilk also has antibodies which would slow down bacterial growth
compared to formula. I never pumped on a regular basis, but when I did I
rinsed thoroughly the pump & bottle - it was an Isis, so I pumped direct to
the bottle - and microwaved the bottle and parts in a glass container
partially filled with water. I never bothered with sterilising solutions
etc.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,