PDA

View Full Version : Re: when to start counting (bit graphic)

Em
August 8th 03, 10:22 PM
"Ilse Witch" > wrote in message
> This question came up in a thread about ovulation kits, so
> not all of you might have seen it, and it was on my mind to
> ask anyway: when AF comes around, as it did again this month
> (bummer!) I first have a few days of brown spotting, about
> two, and then the flow starts for a few days like it used
> to. This is new to me, started this way since AF returned
> after delivery. However, what do I count as the first day
> of my cycle??

Sorry that AF showed for you :-( I don't have an "official" answer to your
question, but will share my experience (I actually had your post in the
ovulation thread marked unread so that I could respond to that one, but I
will here instead!). When I went off the pill to TTC, I also had a pattern
of several days of brown spotting before the real deal. This was very
different that my pre-pill pattern (no spotting, much heavier flow). While I
noted those days on my calendar, I didn't count them as the beginning of my
cycle. I waited until I actually had real bleeding to count as day 1. The
other odd feature of my post-pill cycles was that I only had about 2 days of
real bleeding (and it was light) followed my 4-5 *more* days of spotting. I
did count those following days of spotting as part of my cycle and didn't
write "last day" on my calendar until they were gone (see what I mean about
not being an "official" answer?! ;-) It took us five cycles like that to
conceive (though the first three had mitigating circumstances that made
success those months unlikely). I didn't have any really noticeable CM
changes to help us decide when O-day was, so we just concentrated our
"efforts" around cycle days 12-18 (meaning 12-18 days since the first day of
real bleeding, so it looks like I was right to count it like I did, since we
did get pregnant!).

HTH a little! Good luck to you!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Ilse Witch
August 11th 03, 09:13 PM
A&G&K wrote:

> Day 1 is the first day of fresh, bright red blood.

Thanks to you and the others!

> Are you still breastfeeding your 1st child? This can affect the length of
> the luteal phase (makes it shorter).

No, I'm not, DS weaned around 8m for several reasons. My cycle
returned 6m post partum, while I was still BF-ing, but it was
3 days shorter than it was before pregnancy right from the start.
I had one cylce of my 'old' 28 days, that time I suspected
pregnancy, and was indeed 3 days late according to my new
schedule, but the test was negative.

This month I'll be having a closer look at my fertility signs,
including charting, so I may have a better idea when I ovulate.
We'll see...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (13m)