PDA

View Full Version : headaches...

little one
August 11th 03, 01:16 AM
sorry to bother you all again...but i have one more question. i have
always had migraines (was diagnosed with them so it's not all in my head
<smile>) but i have tried to take tylenol but it wasn't doing the job.
so i went to the doc and the nurse practioner prescribed darvocet for
them. but i am scared to take them. does anyone know if they are safe
for the baby and whether they actually work? i odn't normally take
anything till they get bad enough to interfer with everyday life. (i
have a headache everyday, so it is weird when i don't have one) the
nurse practioner told me not to wait till they got that bad before i
took this stuff though. help!!

melanie

Kereru
August 11th 03, 01:42 AM
"little one" > wrote in message
> sorry to bother you all again...but i have one more question. i have
> always had migraines (was diagnosed with them so it's not all in my head
> <smile>) but i have tried to take tylenol but it wasn't doing the job.
> so i went to the doc and the nurse practioner prescribed darvocet for
> them. but i am scared to take them. does anyone know if they are safe
> for the baby and whether they actually work? i odn't normally take
> anything till they get bad enough to interfer with everyday life. (i
> have a headache everyday, so it is weird when i don't have one) the
> nurse practioner told me not to wait till they got that bad before i
> took this stuff though. help!!
>
> melanie

Hello, I don't want to get your hopes up but I have a great migraine story.
I was a migraine sufferer for as long as I can remeber. First diagnosed age
6. During my pregnancy I had them every day including vomiting, painkillers
were useless. Then at 15 weeks exactly I had my last migraine (ended up in
hospital for it so it was a doozy), ever! My son is now 2 years old and they
still haven't come back. I'm not BFding any more and my periods returned
over a year ago so it's not that.

Something just changed. I feel like a new person. So I have my fingers
crossed that the same thing happens for you.

You never know

Judy

August 11th 03, 02:45 PM
"little one" > wrote in message
> sorry to bother you all again...but i have one more question. i have
> always had migraines (was diagnosed with them so it's not all in my head
> <smile>) but i have tried to take tylenol but it wasn't doing the job.
> so i went to the doc and the nurse practioner prescribed darvocet for
> them. but i am scared to take them. does anyone know if they are safe
> for the baby and whether they actually work? i odn't normally take
> anything till they get bad enough to interfer with everyday life. (i
> have a headache everyday, so it is weird when i don't have one) the
> nurse practioner told me not to wait till they got that bad before i
> took this stuff though. help!!
>
> melanie

I don't know about that but I did take either fiorocet or fiorinol -
whichever is the one with Tylenol. they did seem to work. the nice thing
so far is that I haven't had as many as I used to get. I used to get them
every month. I did get them back after my first two, so we'll see how long
it lasts with this one...
--
Edith
oht nak

Shannon
August 11th 03, 06:24 PM
if you are unsure if it is ok talk to a pharmasist, your doctor should know
if it is ok for you to take btu a pharmasist may know better. I have alwasy
taken advil/ibuprofhen for my really bad headaches. Not supose to while
pregnant many doctors will say but it really isnt ok to take in the first 3
months and the last 2 months. In between is ok. But no matter what take
advice from medicine professionals before anyone else.

shannon
4weeks 4 dasy to go(but whose counting)

Daye
August 11th 03, 09:33 PM
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:16:45 -0400 (EDT), (little
one) wrote:

> but i am scared to take them. does anyone know if they are safe
>for the baby

From http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/dar1115.htm

Special information if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

Do not take these medications if you are pregnant or planning to
become pregnant unless you are directed to do so by your doctor.
Temporary drug dependence may occur in newborns when the mother has
taken this drug consistently in the weeks before delivery. The use of
Darvon Compound-65 (which contains aspirin) during pregnancy may cause
problems in the developing baby or complications during delivery. Do
not take it during the last 3 months of pregnancy. Darvocet-N does
appear in breast milk. However, no adverse effects have been found in
nursing infants.

From
http://www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/w/darvocet-n-warnings-precautions.htm

Pregnancy: Safe use in pregnancy has not been established relative to
possible adverse effects on fetal development. Instances of withdrawal
symptoms in the neonate have been reported following usage during
pregnancy. Therefore, propoxyphene should not be used in pregnant
women unless, in the judgment of the physician, the potential benefits
outweigh the possible hazards.

Tina
August 13th 03, 04:03 AM
(little one) wrote in message >...
> sorry to bother you all again...but i have one more question. i have
> always had migraines (was diagnosed with them so it's not all in my head
> <smile>) but i have tried to take tylenol but it wasn't doing the job.
> so i went to the doc and the nurse practioner prescribed darvocet for
> them. but i am scared to take them. does anyone know if they are safe
> for the baby and whether they actually work? i odn't normally take
> anything till they get bad enough to interfer with everyday life. (i
> have a headache everyday, so it is weird when i don't have one) the
> nurse practioner told me not to wait till they got that bad before i
> took this stuff though. help!!
>
> melanie

I've had migraines for many years, too. I was taking Midrin, a long
time ago, and I don't even know if that's a migraine Rx anymore
('cause there are so many better choices, I'm guessing), but when I
was pregnant, my headaches got worse, and I saw a neurologist to see
about a new prescription. (I had a couple of pain free years prior to
getting pregnant).

Anyway, he suggested that I try Tylenol, even though it never worked
for me prior to pregnancy, and if that didn't work, he'd give me
something different. But I tried two extra strength Tylenol and
something with caffeine at the *very start* of a headache, and laid
down in the dark for an hour or so, if possible, and it worked for me.
You really do have to catch them at the start for this to work, in my
experience. I have visual auras that can warn me enough to basically
prevent the headache with just Tylenol and caffeine.

I think there's a special Tylenol Migraine now, that would be the same
thing as drinking soda or coffee with your medicine -- might be worth
a try.

If that doesn't work, though, you should certainly try the
prescription they've given you. It's always a benefit/risk issue, but
you cannot be disabled throughout your pregnancy. That seems pretty
risky in itself.

Good Luck!

Tina.

Naomi Pardue
August 13th 03, 03:14 PM
>ylenol but it wasn't doing the job.
>so i went to the doc and the nurse practioner prescribed darvocet for
>them. but i am scared to take them. does anyone know if they are safe
>for the baby and whether they actually work?

Darvocet never did squat for my migraines. (Darvocet is actually an extremely
weak narcotic drug, comparable to asprin in pain killing ability.)
It is catagory C for pregnancy (which bascially means that it's safe enough to
use if you really need it.) But drugs like codeine and Imitrex are also
catagory C, and are much more likely to actually help your migraine.
I'd go back to the doc and get something that is likely to work...

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

little one
August 16th 03, 01:00 AM
thanks for all of your suggestions. i finally just sucked it up and took
a half of one. that didn't work so i went ahead and took the rest of
it. after about an hour, it hadn't really done anything. so i took the
other one. i am suppose to take 1-2 every 8 hours if needed, so i
didn't think that would matter. that seemed to help. at least enough
that i could function. i don't know who responded to me about the
advil, but that is what i used to take so that i could function...only
now i can't for obvious reasons. <smile> i decided that i might as well
try it...i am hoping that i won't have to take a lot during a week. if
i do, i am going to talk to my doctor about it....just taking any kind
of medicene scares me now. and i have never really liked taking
medicene.

thanks again to all that replied!!

melanie