PDA

View Full Version : Could I be pregnant?

Jamie
August 11th 03, 08:13 AM
HI

My period is currently 5 days late, i have no signs of pregnancy and no signs of normal PMT (stomach aches ect)

How long should i wait untill i take a test?

Last month i had lots of pregnancy syptoms about a week before my period which actaully then came 3 days early

This is usual for me as my monthly cycle has always been regular to the day!.

Thanks in advace for any help.

Cheryl

Jamie
August 11th 03, 08:14 AM
"Jamie" > wrote in message ...
> HI
>
> My period is currently 5 days late, i have no signs of pregnancy and no signs of normal PMT (stomach aches ect)
>
> How long should i wait untill i take a test?
>
> Last month i had lots of pregnancy syptoms about a week before my period which actaully then came 3 days early
>
> This is unusual for me as my monthly cycle has always been regular to the day!.
>
> Thanks in advace for any help.
>
> Cheryl

Naomi Pardue
August 11th 03, 02:34 PM
>My period is currently 5 days late, i have no signs of pregnancy and no signs
>of normal PMT (stomach aches ect)
>
>How long should i wait untill i take a test?

HPTs are usually accurate the day your period is due, so you can go ahead and
do it today.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Carol Ann
August 11th 03, 03:18 PM
:: HPTs are usually accurate the day your period is due, so you can go
:: ahead and do it today.

Just out of curiosity. If this is the case, why when I took a test on July
21st did it register negative and on July 28th it was positive?

My last monthly cycle began (I'm seriously guessing) around the 15th of
June.

To Nikki~ Good luck TTC. Keep trying. I do wish you the best.

Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Challenges!
www.bestinatlanta.com ~ Your City Guide to Metro Atlanta!

Carol Ann
August 11th 03, 03:19 PM
:: To Nikki~ Good luck TTC. Keep trying. I do wish you the best.

Meant for that to be on another thread. Is this a side effect of
pregnancy?? LOL!

Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Challenges!
www.bestinatlanta.com ~ Your City Guide to Metro Atlanta!

Shannon
August 11th 03, 06:33 PM
Go to your doctor any time now and ask for him/her to test your HCG level. I
had it done at 2 weeks pregnant. My doctor did the urine test (which is just
done on home pg tests) and it was negative the same day he did blood and
checked what my level was instead of if there was any hormones and it came
back i was exactly 2 weeks pregnant. If you do a home test you can do one
anytime but it depends on the test when it will show truth. Remember there
are many false negatives but not very many false positives. Usually the only
time you will have a false positive is if you are taking some meds with the
same hormone in it. Tests give accurate results at different times for
different people. I myself have only ever had one home test turn out
positive. It was during a miscarriage(i was spotting and the test was
reocmmended). Every other time i have been pregnant i had to have blood
tests and some even turned out negative till i was almost 2 months( which is
why my doc this time tested what my level was instead of if there was a
level)

Good luck!!!

Shannon
4weeks 4 days to go

Jen in South Florida
August 11th 03, 07:40 PM
Carol Ann wrote:
> :: HPTs are usually accurate the day your period is due, so you can go
> :: ahead and do it today.
>
> Just out of curiosity. If this is the case, why when I took a test on July
> 21st did it register negative and on July 28th it was positive?

I think the original statement would be more accurate if it said,
"HPT's are usually accurate at 14 dpo, so you can go ahead and do
it today". (usually being the key word here)

If you were not exactly sure when you ovulated, perhaps you
weren't at least 14 dpo on July 21? Ovulation date can vary, or
occur later in the cycle than that "magical cycle day 14".

Jen
edd 12/20/03 - twin boys!

Jen in South Florida
August 11th 03, 07:42 PM
Shannon wrote:
> Go to your doctor any time now and ask for him/her to test your HCG level. I
> had it done at 2 weeks pregnant. My doctor did the urine test (which is just
> done on home pg tests) and it was negative the same day he did blood and
> checked what my level was instead of if there was any hormones and it came
> back i was exactly 2 weeks pregnant.

I think you mean 4 weeks pregnant, or 14 dpo. You were
technically, 2 weeks pregnant on the day you ovulated.

Jen
edd 12/20/03 - twin boys!

Monique
August 11th 03, 10:02 PM
You can take a test 24 hours later.. i hope if its positive you want it tho.

Regards Monique.
"Jamie" > schreef in bericht

> "Jamie" > wrote in message
> > HI
> >
> > My period is currently 5 days late, i have no signs of pregnancy and no
signs of normal PMT (stomach aches ect)

> > How long should i wait untill i take a test?
> >
> > Last month i had lots of pregnancy syptoms about a week before my period
which actaully then came 3 days early

> > This is unusual for me as my monthly cycle has always been regular to
the day!.

> > Thanks in advace for any help.
> >
> > Cheryl

Ilse Witch
September 9th 03, 03:12 PM
Jody Pellerin wrote:

> Me going off the pill was planned and I'm not on it now. As for the cramps,
> we thought at first it was maybe because I was Ovulating. But they haven't
> stopped. I also noticed a considerable amount of fluid discharge one or two
> nights.

If I read this correct, you are not on the pill this cycle and expecting
your period around 17-21 September, your LMP is August 21.

First off, going off the pill will cause your body to go through a normal
cycle, instead of a forced one, and it only makes sense that your body
responds to the hormonal changes it experiences. For me, sore breasts
are part of a normal cycle, starting about a day after ovulation. So are
minor cramps and twitches in the lower abdomen. And with sore breasts,
I really do mean SORE! Some cycles I even needed a bigger bra.

Second, there is no way you can tell if you're pregnant by testing a week
or more before your period is due. Even the most sensitive tests are not
really reliable until the day your period is due or later.

Finally: excessive, egg-white like discharge is a sign of ovulation and
perfectly normal. If you want to learn more about your cycle (and I can
strongly recommend that you do), read the book Taking Charge of Your
Fertility. It explains all the possible signs, pains, cramps and other
things you can experience in a normal cycle.

Even though your story sounds a bit confusing, my suspicion is that you
have just experienced a normal ovulation.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Em
September 9th 03, 10:31 PM
"Jody Pellerin" > wrote in message
> Last month, I got my period on August 21st. I was on the pill. Marvelon to
> be exact. I missed like three pills last month on separate days. My period
> was a day late and I don't remember it being the same as normal. Sorry for
> being gross or anything but I don't remember getting any blood clots and I
> usually do. About five days maybe more or less after my period ended, I
> started getting pains on both sides of my abdomen. It has continued and
> recently it's a little more painful, not crucially but noticeably more
then
> before. Also, for the past three days, my breasts have been sore. I can't
> stand touching them or even wearing a bra because it hurts. We figure that
> maybe we were a little too rough the night before it started but with the
> cramps, I'm a little concerned. They're still sore. Not as bad as the last
> couple of days but still very sensitive. I did a HPT the other night and
it
> came out negative but maybe it was too soon to tell. It was a cheap brand
> test. So I assume the Hcg level was 100 on it. My period is due anywhere
> from the 17-21st.
> Me going off the pill was planned and I'm not on it now. As for the
cramps,
> we thought at first it was maybe because I was Ovulating. But they haven't
> stopped. I also noticed a considerable amount of fluid discharge one or
two
> nights. The cramps lately have at times, have felt like a pap test. Though
> they don't bother me too much, they are quite noticeable. It does feel
like
> muscle pains today, the past two days it has gone into the upper part of
my
> right leg. I'm not sure exactly what to think. Any opinions or advice
would
> be great.

Sometimes it can take your body a few cycles to adjust to being off of the
pill and get back to normal. The hormones leave your system fairly shortly,
so you needn't worry about having a negative impact on a baby even if you
conceived right away. However, it can take your body a few cycles to
re-regulate and get back to a normal pattern, so you might well not be
pregnant--your body is just adjusting. It is pretty easy to convince
yourself that you're pregnant--my first cycle off of the pill I was
*positive* that I was pregnant based on several "symptoms." The difficult
thing about assessing "symptoms" is that early pregnancy symptoms are so
close to PMS symptoms, that it is really hard to make the right call without
taking a pregnancy test. I would wait until about 5 days after you expect
your period before taking a test (just in case you're having a slightly long
cycle).

Best wishes and ***baby dust***!

--
Em