PDA

View Full Version : do i take the pump?

A&G&K&H
November 24th 05, 03:22 AM
DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
Sydney for their Christmas party :)
I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
Help me decide.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Mamma Mia
November 24th 05, 04:26 AM
i dont knwo about you, but if i didnt feed for that long i would be in agony
and get mastitis...

"A&G&K&H" > wrote in message
> DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
> DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
> the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
> our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
> Sydney for their Christmas party :)
> I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
> but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
> I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I
> can
> put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
> Help me decide.
> Amanda
>
> --
> DD 15th August 2002
> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> DS 20th August 2004

Cuddlefish
November 24th 05, 04:51 AM
A&G&K&H wrote:
> DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
> DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
> the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
> our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
> Sydney for their Christmas party :)
> I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
> but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
> I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
> put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
> Help me decide.
> Amanda
>
> --
> DD 15th August 2002
> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> DS 20th August 2004

I'd pop if I went that long without nursing.

Take the pump. What would you do if you found you needed it and it was
not around?

Jacqueline

Irene
November 24th 05, 05:01 AM
A&G&K&H wrote:
..
> I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
> put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
> Help me decide.

Have you practiced hand-expressing? If you haven't, give it a try
before you leave. If you can get it to work, I wouldn't bother
bringing the pump. If it's a no-go, I'd bring it just in case - I'd
hate for you to get mastititis!

Irene

Emily
November 24th 05, 06:33 AM
When DS1 was 16 months old I went away for the first time
over night ... to Vienna (I live in the US). I was gone
three nights total, I think. I brought my Avent Isis and
pumped a few times, but never got very much nor felt any great
need to pump. I was mostly concerned with keeping some supply,
since I wasn't ready to wean yet (didn't leave any EBM for
DS while I was away though). YMMV of course. Are you any
good at hand expressing? If so, that would do if you were
feeling engorged.

--
Emily
DS1 5/02 <- nursed to 20m

Anne Rogers
November 24th 05, 10:05 AM
I'd take it, I wouldn't want to risk getting full, then hand expressing and
having to let it all run away down the sink

Anne

Jo
November 24th 05, 11:30 AM
A&G&K&H wrote:
> DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
> DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
> the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
> our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
> Sydney for their Christmas party :)
> I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
> but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
> I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
> put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
> Help me decide.
> Amanda
>
> --
> DD 15th August 2002
> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> DS 20th August 2004

I'd just hand express if you feel you need it at the time. Is that an
option? Bring a bottle or two to store it though. :)

Jo

Mary W.
November 24th 05, 11:54 AM
A&G&K&H wrote:
> DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
> DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
> the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
> our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
> Sydney for their Christmas party :)

Fun! DD 2 and your DS are pretty much the same age and nursing the
same amount. I just had a 4 day conference that I left DD for. I
actually brought my PIS and pumped two times a day. I probably could
have gone about 24 hours but then it would have started to get
uncomfortable. Mostly, I was concerned about plugged ducts, since
I get them every now and again. The isis is small enough, that I
would bring it just in case.

Have a lovely time.

Mary

A&G&K&H
November 25th 05, 04:55 AM
"A&G&K&H" > wrote in message
> DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
> DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
> the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
> our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
> Sydney for their Christmas party :)
> I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
> but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
> I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I
can
> put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
> Help me decide.
> Amanda
>
> --
> DD 15th August 2002
> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> DS 20th August 2004

Thanks all ... of course you are all right - I should take the pump as I'd
be really stuck if I didn't have it (I'm hopeless at hand expressing).
I'm not thet concerned about the milk (I'll pump and dump), but I am
concerned about my supply while I'm away.
Thanks for helping me to see the right decision.
Amanda

November 28th 05, 07:30 PM
If you are gone for a day and a half, your supply will probably
suffer a little unless you take a pump or get DH to 'help out'
a couple of times.

Have fun away,
Larry

A&G&K&H > writes:
: DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
: DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
: the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
: our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
: Sydney for their Christmas party :)
: I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
: but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
: I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
: put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
: Help me decide.
: Amanda

: --
: DD 15th August 2002
: 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
: DS 20th August 2004

Daniel J. Matz
November 29th 05, 12:31 AM
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one thinking "why bother
with a pump if DH is along?"

wrote:
> If you are gone for a day and a half, your supply will probably
> suffer a little unless you take a pump or get DH to 'help out'
> a couple of times.
>
> Have fun away,
> Larry
>
> A&G&K&H > writes:
> : DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
> : DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
> : the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
> : our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
> : Sydney for their Christmas party :)
> : I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
> : but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
> : I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
> : put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
> : Help me decide.
> : Amanda
>
> : --
> : DD 15th August 2002
> : 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> : DS 20th August 2004

A&G&K&H
November 30th 05, 03:14 AM
> wrote in message ...
>
> If you are gone for a day and a half, your supply will probably
> suffer a little unless you take a pump or get DH to 'help out'
> a couple of times.
>
> Have fun away,
> Larry
..... naaaah ... no thanks. I'll just take the pump.

December 1st 05, 04:26 PM
A&G&K&H > writes:

: > wrote in message ...
:>
:> If you are gone for a day and a half, your supply will probably
:> suffer a little unless you take a pump or get DH to 'help out'
:> a couple of times.
:>
:> Have fun away,
:> Larry
: .... naaaah ... no thanks. I'll just take the pump.
: A

Whatever. Either works.
Larry