PDA

View Full Version : Update: Breastfeeding related signage in restrooms

Mum of Two
November 26th 05, 05:08 AM
Some time back I posted about being treated extremely rudely in a
council-owned women's rest room here while breastfeeding DD - on two
occasions by the same attendant. The restrooms have three main rooms - one
is a sunny lounge area, the other has nappy changing facilities, and the
third is women's and children's toilets. There is a sign up in the lounge
room that reads "mothers please use side room for feeding and changing" or
words to that effect. It's an archaic throw-back to the days when the rest
rooms were built presumably, as they're about half a century old. I found
out that contrary to what I would have thought, they *do* enforce the sign.
I wrote to our mayor requesting the sign be removed, and these are excerpts
from the letter I finally received back from the facilities manager:

"It has been resolved that the sign will remain to encourage mothers to use
the designated area. If some mothers wish to feed their babies in the lounge
area they will be permitted to remain in the area by the restroom
attendants." (WTF?)

"It is hoped that this action will permit women such as yourself the freedom
to feed their children where they wish but will provide some protection for
those women who seek sanctuary in the lounge area".

Frankly, I'm shocked and disgusted. We're talking about a facility for women
and children here, and other women need 'protection' from breastfeeding
mothers and their babies in the 'sanctuary' of the lounge area? That a
council-owned facility would hold this view is abhorrent to me. This is a
council that gives out annual 'child friendly business' awards, and our
local hospital is going for baby-friendly status. It perpetuates the notion
that breastfeeding is an unpleasant act that other people need protection
from. And to suggest that women should feed their babies in a toileting
facility (change room) is culturally insensitive over here.
If they changed the sign to "for baby changing facilities use the room on
the left" or something like that, women who wanted to feed in the change
room could still do that without feeling pressure to do so.
FWIW, the lounge room is quiet, sunny and I have rarely seen it busy. It
feels like blatant discrimination.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Cuddlefish
November 26th 05, 05:20 AM
Mum of Two wrote:
> Some time back I posted about being treated extremely rudely in a
> council-owned women's rest room here while breastfeeding DD - on two
> occasions by the same attendant. The restrooms have three main rooms - one
> is a sunny lounge area, the other has nappy changing facilities, and the
> third is women's and children's toilets. There is a sign up in the lounge
> room that reads "mothers please use side room for feeding and changing" or
> words to that effect. It's an archaic throw-back to the days when the rest
> rooms were built presumably, as they're about half a century old. I found
> out that contrary to what I would have thought, they *do* enforce the sign.
> I wrote to our mayor requesting the sign be removed, and these are excerpts
> from the letter I finally received back from the facilities manager:
>
> "It has been resolved that the sign will remain to encourage mothers to use
> the designated area. If some mothers wish to feed their babies in the lounge
> area they will be permitted to remain in the area by the restroom
> attendants." (WTF?)
>
> "It is hoped that this action will permit women such as yourself the freedom
> to feed their children where they wish but will provide some protection for
> those women who seek sanctuary in the lounge area".
>
> Frankly, I'm shocked and disgusted. We're talking about a facility for women
> and children here, and other women need 'protection' from breastfeeding
> mothers and their babies in the 'sanctuary' of the lounge area? That a
> council-owned facility would hold this view is abhorrent to me. This is a
> council that gives out annual 'child friendly business' awards, and our
> local hospital is going for baby-friendly status. It perpetuates the notion
> that breastfeeding is an unpleasant act that other people need protection
> from. And to suggest that women should feed their babies in a toileting
> facility (change room) is culturally insensitive over here.
> If they changed the sign to "for baby changing facilities use the room on
> the left" or something like that, women who wanted to feed in the change
> room could still do that without feeling pressure to do so.
> FWIW, the lounge room is quiet, sunny and I have rarely seen it busy. It
> feels like blatant discrimination.

That is disgusting. This would be a sign I would gladly ignore. The
toilets are not the only thing that is 50 years old here - so is the
attitudes of the council.

I would write back and specifically mention this bit: "It perpetuates
the notion that breastfeeding is an unpleasant act that other people
need protection from. And to suggest that women should feed their babies
in a toileting facility (change room) is culturally insensitive over here."

Ugh!

Jacqueline

Me Myself and I
November 26th 05, 05:42 AM
Oh you have got to be kidding!!!!! I was sure that the situation would be
resolved once you had written to the council but obviously not. I can't
believe those bloody old farts down the council have said that women need
protecting from breastfeeders. Is it not good enough that you are away from
the public (in case god forbid *GASP* you get seen feeding your daughter)
but you have to listen to "restroom attendants"? as well. Oh and I loved
the bit about being permitted by the restroom attendants to BF. FFS!!!

Can your BF group organise a sit in and get some publicity on the subject?

Good on ya for trying.
--
Pip

My girls :
Abby - 8 weeks early now 9 months old and has started to babble
Jasmine - 5 weeks early now 3.5 yrs Favourite saying "What you doing that
for?"

"Inside me is a skinny women screaming to get out........but I can normally
keep the b*tch quiet with cookies"

--
"Mum of Two" > wrote in message
> Some time back I posted about being treated extremely rudely in a
> council-owned women's rest room here while breastfeeding DD - on two
> occasions by the same attendant. The restrooms have three main rooms - one
> is a sunny lounge area, the other has nappy changing facilities, and the
> third is women's and children's toilets. There is a sign up in the lounge
> room that reads "mothers please use side room for feeding and changing" or
> words to that effect. It's an archaic throw-back to the days when the rest
> rooms were built presumably, as they're about half a century old. I found
> out that contrary to what I would have thought, they *do* enforce the
> sign.
> I wrote to our mayor requesting the sign be removed, and these are
> excerpts from the letter I finally received back from the facilities
> manager:
>
> "It has been resolved that the sign will remain to encourage mothers to
> use the designated area. If some mothers wish to feed their babies in the
> lounge area they will be permitted to remain in the area by the restroom
> attendants." (WTF?)
>
> "It is hoped that this action will permit women such as yourself the
> freedom to feed their children where they wish but will provide some
> protection for those women who seek sanctuary in the lounge area".
>
> Frankly, I'm shocked and disgusted. We're talking about a facility for
> women and children here, and other women need 'protection' from
> breastfeeding mothers and their babies in the 'sanctuary' of the lounge
> area? That a council-owned facility would hold this view is abhorrent to
> me. This is a council that gives out annual 'child friendly business'
> awards, and our local hospital is going for baby-friendly status. It
> perpetuates the notion that breastfeeding is an unpleasant act that other
> people need protection from. And to suggest that women should feed their
> babies in a toileting facility (change room) is culturally insensitive
> over here.
> If they changed the sign to "for baby changing facilities use the room on
> the left" or something like that, women who wanted to feed in the change
> room could still do that without feeling pressure to do so.
> FWIW, the lounge room is quiet, sunny and I have rarely seen it busy. It
> feels like blatant discrimination.
>

> --
> Amy
> Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
> & Ana born screaming 30/06/04
> http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
> My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Anne Rogers
November 26th 05, 01:30 PM
well, I'm not impressed with that response, but am I impressed with the
general provision of the area you describe, what I wonderful place to have
available, I don't think I have ever seen such a facility, we never use the
word restroom in the UK, probably because we don't mean it, toilets are just
that, mens, womens and babychange/disabled.

Anne

Mum of Two
November 26th 05, 07:19 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> well, I'm not impressed with that response, but am I impressed with the
> general provision of the area you describe, what I wonderful place to have
> available, I don't think I have ever seen such a facility, we never use
> the word restroom in the UK, probably because we don't mean it, toilets
> are just that, mens, womens and babychange/disabled.

Toilets here are usually just toilets too, though I have seen a proper
parents' room in Auckland that was really nice and well thought out. These
rest rooms have been here a long time. Recently the council proposed getting
rid of them, but there were enough submissions to support them staying. I
was one of the ones who supported their staying - not by submission, but
when interviewed by the local paper to do with the breastfeeding record
setting. The restroom attendant - who would have lost her job of 17 years
had the restrooms been demolished - _knows_ that, she must do. That's why
her attitude baffles me and angers me even more. Talk about biting the hand
that feeds you.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Mum of Two
November 26th 05, 07:28 PM
"Me Myself and I" > wrote in message
> Oh you have got to be kidding!!!!! I was sure that the situation would be
> resolved once you had written to the council but obviously not. I can't
> believe those bloody old farts down the council have said that women need
> protecting from breastfeeders. Is it not good enough that you are away
> from the public (in case god forbid *GASP* you get seen feeding your
> daughter) but you have to listen to "restroom attendants"? as well. Oh
> and I loved the bit about being permitted by the restroom attendants to
> BF. FFS!!!

I've been reading it, and re-reading it, and I have to wonder if they
haven't misprinted it and mean that women might want the sanctuary of the
changing room to feed in. That's slightly less offensive, but it's still all
patronizing BS - I mean, "encouraging mothers to use the 'designated area'"?
And the permitted bit gets my goat too, especially after how I was treated
by that attendant. I wished at the time I had laid a formal complaint, but I
can see now how it would have been received. Considering it's a council
rather than a private business, perhaps even the human rights commission
might be interested? I may contact the local paper. I can just see though
that most people are not going to 'get it'. I asked Liz Weatherley for her
advice, she's the one who took the petition to parliament for the protection
of the right to breastfeed in public.
Anyway, I'm going to ring this guy on Monday or Tuesday and clarify. I hate
it how I get letters like this on the weekend! I guess it gives me cooling
off time.

> Can your BF group organise a sit in and get some publicity on the subject?

It's not a bad idea. I'm sure some of the women who attended the record
setting might be interested.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Mum of Two
November 26th 05, 07:38 PM
"Cuddlefish" > wrote in message

> That is disgusting. This would be a sign I would gladly ignore. The
> toilets are not the only thing that is 50 years old here - so is the
> attitudes of the council.

You're not wrong there!

> I would write back and specifically mention this bit: "It perpetuates the
> notion that breastfeeding is an unpleasant act that other people need
> protection from. And to suggest that women should feed their babies in a
> toileting facility (change room) is culturally insensitive over here."

I think I will. I'm going to call the facilities manager up early in the
week to clarify. I can't believe he actually _meant_ what he said about the
lounge being a sanctuary from BF mothers.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

> Jacqueline

Me Myself and I
November 26th 05, 09:01 PM
Maybe it was a miss print but what I don't understand is why they feel the
need to designate where women should breastfeed (just a you are wondering)
and if anything I would have thought they would have made the lounge a
general feeding area. I mean not being funny but what other use is there
for a lounge type room in a women's toilet? You aren't going to pee in
there so it's there to either rest in or feed babies, and why rest in
secluded place like that when you could be out relaxing in a cafe etc YKWIM?
So the majority of women that use it would be using it to feed babies.

Lets hope you can get some answers when you phone then (yeah I think that's
why you got the letter at the weekend so that you couldn't phone and bite
their heads off :)) )

I must be miss informed because I though in this country we were able to
feed where we liked? I must have got my wires crossed somewhere.

--
Pip

My girls :
Abby - 8 weeks early now 9 months old and has started to babble
Jasmine - 5 weeks early now 3.5 yrs Favourite saying "What you doing that
for?"

"Inside me is a skinny women screaming to get out........but I can normally
keep the b*tch quiet with cookies"

--

Mum of Two
November 27th 05, 04:09 AM
"Me Myself and I" > wrote in message
> Maybe it was a miss print but what I don't understand is why they feel the
> need to designate where women should breastfeed (just a you are wondering)
> and if anything I would have thought they would have made the lounge a
> general feeding area. I mean not being funny but what other use is there
> for a lounge type room in a women's toilet? You aren't going to pee in
> there so it's there to either rest in or feed babies, and why rest in
> secluded place like that when you could be out relaxing in a cafe etc
> YKWIM? So the majority of women that use it would be using it to feed
> babies.

Yeah, that was my take on it too. Elderly women taking a break and reading a
magazine while resting their legs, mothers with babies and
toddlers...everyone else would be at work, at cafes etc as you point out.
Kind of odd.

> Lets hope you can get some answers when you phone then (yeah I think
> that's why you got the letter at the weekend so that you couldn't phone
> and bite their heads off :)) )

I'm wondering that myself ;-)

> I must be miss informed because I though in this country we were able to
> feed where we liked? I must have got my wires crossed somewhere.

No, I think you're right. I honestly think it boils down to an out-of-date
sign and one woman's prejudices. The men are too dense and too apathetic to
challenge her, and feel they have more important things to worry about. The
mayor's only concern of course is PR and bad publicity, but as far as he's
concerned it's been 'taken care of'. And this woman is a control freak, and
the wife of a well-known businessman, I found out today. I've decided I'm
not going to let one woman's prejudices have so much power. Who does she
think she is, anyway? I'm not letting it rest now.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Chookie
November 28th 05, 08:03 AM
Go for it, woman, and get it fixed. Do you have a local Maori organisation
that can talk about the cultural insensitivity bit?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

JJ
November 29th 05, 06:05 AM
Funny, sometimes it depends on how they phrase it.
There's a sign in the women's lounge in an ate most airport near my
parents over a large, ancient, but comfyu leather chair. It is in the
entrance to the ladies room, out of sight of the general airport, but
in the hall on the way to the toilets that says, "This chair reserved
for nursing mothers." I was offended that it was in the restroom, but
liked that it was "reserved" I once nursed there since it looked so
comfy (even if ancient) and it was. (I also nursed smack next to the
gate with no problems or funny looks on several occasions.)

Oddly, that restroom had the crsppiest (excuse the pun) changing
facilities ever, with a badly positioned changing table with a broken
strap, no nearby sink, and no paper cloths or paper towels with which
to line the dirty table. So, faced with a particularly foul one, and
less than 10 minutes, I took DD to the gate and changed her smack in
front on everyone including the flight attendents, on newspaper on the
floor. I got a few disturbed looks and I loudly announced that the
changing facilities were woefully inadequate and unsafe. One older
woman came over and I thought she was going to harass me more, but to
my surprise she just smiled and helped, and even stuck out her bare
hand to take the dirty diaper (bagged at least) away from me to throw
out.

So if they don't wanna see boob, maybe they'd rather see/ smell poop?

JJ

Mum of Two
November 29th 05, 09:13 AM
"JJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Funny, sometimes it depends on how they phrase it.
> There's a sign in the women's lounge in an ate most airport near my
> parents over a large, ancient, but comfyu leather chair. It is in the
> entrance to the ladies room, out of sight of the general airport, but
> in the hall on the way to the toilets that says, "This chair reserved
> for nursing mothers." I was offended that it was in the restroom, but
> liked that it was "reserved" I once nursed there since it looked so
> comfy (even if ancient) and it was. (I also nursed smack next to the
> gate with no problems or funny looks on several occasions.)

Agreed. It's the phrasing, but it's also the mentality behind it, and some
of the words that have been used in our correspondence, and the way that
I've been treated on two occasions. If it was just an old outdated sign that
nobody bothered about anymore, I don't think I'd even have noticed it.

> Oddly, that restroom had the crsppiest (excuse the pun) changing
> facilities ever, with a badly positioned changing table with a broken
> strap, no nearby sink, and no paper cloths or paper towels with which
> to line the dirty table. So, faced with a particularly foul one, and
> less than 10 minutes, I took DD to the gate and changed her smack in
> front on everyone including the flight attendents, on newspaper on the
> floor. I got a few disturbed looks and I loudly announced that the
> changing facilities were woefully inadequate and unsafe. One older
> woman came over and I thought she was going to harass me more, but to
> my surprise she just smiled and helped, and even stuck out her bare
> hand to take the dirty diaper (bagged at least) away from me to throw
> out.

Heh :-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Mum of Two
November 29th 05, 09:17 AM
"Chookie" > wrote in message
> Go for it, woman, and get it fixed. Do you have a local Maori
> organisation
> that can talk about the cultural insensitivity bit?

I've been wondering about that. I'm surprised no-one else has voiced concern
to date, really. I don't know if I want to push that angle myself, since as
someone else pointed out to me it's a distraction - the problem is really
that a woman breastfeeding in a way that isn't obstructing anyone else
shouldn't be asked to move *at all*, it isn't just the issue of _where_
she's been asked to move to.
I am strongly considering taking it to the Human Rights Commission, but I
plan to let the media know first, since once mediation has been entered into
with a HRC complaint, the complainant is gagged, permanently - meaning I
would never be allowed to discuss it with anyone else, and I think this kind
of thing needs and deserves the publicity if anything is going to change.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Child
November 29th 05, 07:42 PM
"Mum of Two" > wrote in message
> Some time back I posted about being treated extremely rudely in a
> council-owned women's rest room here while breastfeeding DD - on two
> occasions by the same attendant. The restrooms have three main rooms - one
> is a sunny lounge area, the other has nappy changing facilities, and the
> third is women's and children's toilets. There is a sign up in the lounge
> room that reads "mothers please use side room for feeding and changing" or
> words to that effect. It's an archaic throw-back to the days when the rest
> rooms were built presumably, as they're about half a century old. I found
> out that contrary to what I would have thought, they *do* enforce the
> sign.
> I wrote to our mayor requesting the sign be removed, and these are
> excerpts from the letter I finally received back from the facilities
> manager:
>
> "It has been resolved that the sign will remain to encourage mothers to
> use the designated area. If some mothers wish to feed their babies in the
> lounge area they will be permitted to remain in the area by the restroom
> attendants." (WTF?)
>
> "It is hoped that this action will permit women such as yourself the
> freedom to feed their children where they wish but will provide some
> protection for those women who seek sanctuary in the lounge area".

Some protection? From what? The horrible offensive sight of BREASTFEEDING?

I don't eat where I toilet, neither should my kid. I might consider writing
a letter to the local paper.

Child
November 29th 05, 08:05 PM
"JJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Funny, sometimes it depends on how they phrase it.
> There's a sign in the women's lounge in an ate most airport near my
> parents over a large, ancient, but comfyu leather chair. It is in the
> entrance to the ladies room, out of sight of the general airport, but
> in the hall on the way to the toilets that says, "This chair reserved
> for nursing mothers." I was offended that it was in the restroom, but
> liked that it was "reserved" I once nursed there since it looked so
> comfy (even if ancient) and it was. (I also nursed smack next to the
> gate with no problems or funny looks on several occasions.)
>
> Oddly, that restroom had the crsppiest (excuse the pun) changing
> facilities ever, with a badly positioned changing table with a broken
> strap, no nearby sink, and no paper cloths or paper towels with which
> to line the dirty table. So, faced with a particularly foul one, and
> less than 10 minutes, I took DD to the gate and changed her smack in
> front on everyone including the flight attendents, on newspaper on the
> floor. I got a few disturbed looks and I loudly announced that the
> changing facilities were woefully inadequate and unsafe. One older
> woman came over and I thought she was going to harass me more, but to
> my surprise she just smiled and helped, and even stuck out her bare
> hand to take the dirty diaper (bagged at least) away from me to throw
> out.
>
> So if they don't wanna see boob, maybe they'd rather see/ smell poop?

LOL, I am constantly amazed at the places that have no changing facilities
or really horrible ones. I recently grabbed a restaurant manager and told
him that unless they were able to get a changing table by my next visit, I'd
be changing my kids diaper in the middle of the dining room. I also
complain BITTERLY to every place we go that doesnt' have any sort of
changing facility in the MENS' room, because that irritates the hell out of
me.

My SIL says that often in malls in Australia they have a "nursing" room,
with a recliner or two for nursing moms. I'd like to see some more of
those.

In our airport I recently decided to check out the "family rest room", which
wasn't just a rest room, its a nice play room with some couches for nursing
and a seperate little bathroom. It appears to be unused except for some
employees use the bathroom in there. It was a GREAT place to waste some
time before our flight.

Cuddlefish
November 29th 05, 09:00 PM
Child wrote:

> LOL, I am constantly amazed at the places that have no changing facilities
> or really horrible ones. I recently grabbed a restaurant manager and told
> him that unless they were able to get a changing table by my next visit, I'd
> be changing my kids diaper in the middle of the dining room.

Do you really think that would make any difference? Sometimes some
restaurants do not want to attract patrons with babies and so are under
no obligation to provide facilities for them. Hey that's fine by me -
I'll go elsewhere. I don't think it is very fair on the subsequent
diners at your table though. ;-)

Jacqueline

Mum of Two
November 29th 05, 10:44 PM
"Child" > wrote in message

> "Mum of Two" > wrote in message
>> Some time back I posted about being treated extremely rudely in a
>> council-owned women's rest room here while breastfeeding DD - on two
>> occasions by the same attendant. The restrooms have three main rooms -
>> one is a sunny lounge area, the other has nappy changing facilities, and
>> the third is women's and children's toilets. There is a sign up in the
>> lounge room that reads "mothers please use side room for feeding and
>> changing" or words to that effect. It's an archaic throw-back to the days
>> when the rest rooms were built presumably, as they're about half a
>> century old. I found out that contrary to what I would have thought, they
>> *do* enforce the sign.
>> I wrote to our mayor requesting the sign be removed, and these are
>> excerpts from the letter I finally received back from the facilities
>> manager:
>>
>> "It has been resolved that the sign will remain to encourage mothers to
>> use the designated area. If some mothers wish to feed their babies in the
>> lounge area they will be permitted to remain in the area by the restroom
>> attendants." (WTF?)
>>
>> "It is hoped that this action will permit women such as yourself the
>> freedom to feed their children where they wish but will provide some
>> protection for those women who seek sanctuary in the lounge area".
>

> Some protection? From what? The horrible offensive sight of
> BREASTFEEDING?
>
> I don't eat where I toilet, neither should my kid. I might consider
> writing a letter to the local paper.

Yep, and it was not a misprint either - I spoke to the facilities manager
this morning and apparently there were some elderly women who didn't want to
see breastfeeding and changing 'going on' in the main lounge. It is those
people's 'rights' they have decided to uphold. Heck, I may get sick of
tripping over zimmer frames, but I don't insist on a separate lounge for the
elderly! I've been in contact with the paper, and the next step is the human
rights commission,

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Child
November 29th 05, 11:05 PM
> Child wrote:
>
>> LOL, I am constantly amazed at the places that have no changing
>> facilities or really horrible ones. I recently grabbed a restaurant
>> manager and told him that unless they were able to get a changing table
>> by my next visit, I'd be changing my kids diaper in the middle of the
>> dining room.
>
> Do you really think that would make any difference? Sometimes some
> restaurants do not want to attract patrons with babies and so are under no
> obligation to provide facilities for them. Hey that's fine by me - I'll go
> elsewhere. I don't think it is very fair on the subsequent diners at your
> table though. ;-)

These aren't "fancy" restaurants - the Monk isnt' suitable for those. I'd
think ruling out families would be a problem for most of these places. I
have not changed a baby on an eating table, because i find it revolting but
i figure a threat couldnt' hurt.

Child
November 29th 05, 11:08 PM
"Mum of Two" > wrote in message
> "Child" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mum of Two" > wrote in message
>>> Some time back I posted about being treated extremely rudely in a
>>> council-owned women's rest room here while breastfeeding DD - on two
>>> occasions by the same attendant. The restrooms have three main rooms -
>>> one is a sunny lounge area, the other has nappy changing facilities, and
>>> the third is women's and children's toilets. There is a sign up in the
>>> lounge room that reads "mothers please use side room for feeding and
>>> changing" or words to that effect. It's an archaic throw-back to the
>>> days when the rest rooms were built presumably, as they're about half a
>>> century old. I found out that contrary to what I would have thought,
>>> they *do* enforce the sign.
>>> I wrote to our mayor requesting the sign be removed, and these are
>>> excerpts from the letter I finally received back from the facilities
>>> manager:
>>>
>>> "It has been resolved that the sign will remain to encourage mothers to
>>> use the designated area. If some mothers wish to feed their babies in
>>> the lounge area they will be permitted to remain in the area by the
>>> restroom attendants." (WTF?)
>>>
>>> "It is hoped that this action will permit women such as yourself the
>>> freedom to feed their children where they wish but will provide some
>>> protection for those women who seek sanctuary in the lounge area".
>>

>> Some protection? From what? The horrible offensive sight of
>> BREASTFEEDING?
>>
>> I don't eat where I toilet, neither should my kid. I might consider
>> writing a letter to the local paper.
>
> Yep, and it was not a misprint either - I spoke to the facilities manager
> this morning and apparently there were some elderly women who didn't want
> to see breastfeeding and changing 'going on' in the main lounge. It is
> those people's 'rights' they have decided to uphold. Heck, I may get sick
> of tripping over zimmer frames, but I don't insist on a separate lounge
> for the elderly! I've been in contact with the paper, and the next step is
> the human rights commission,

I agree that diaper changing is something best taken care of in a bathroom
environment. Breastfeeding obviously isn't in the same realm.

Mum of Two
November 30th 05, 12:00 AM
"Child" > wrote in message

> "Mum of Two" > wrote in message

>>> Some protection? From what? The horrible offensive sight of
>>> BREASTFEEDING?
>>>
>>> I don't eat where I toilet, neither should my kid. I might consider
>>> writing a letter to the local paper.
>>
>> Yep, and it was not a misprint either - I spoke to the facilities manager
>> this morning and apparently there were some elderly women who didn't want
>> to see breastfeeding and changing 'going on' in the main lounge. It is
>> those people's 'rights' they have decided to uphold. Heck, I may get sick
>> of tripping over zimmer frames, but I don't insist on a separate lounge
>> for the elderly! I've been in contact with the paper, and the next step
>> is the human rights commission,
>

> I agree that diaper changing is something best taken care of in a bathroom
> environment. Breastfeeding obviously isn't in the same realm.

I know, I reiterated that to him. He tried to confuse the issue by lumping
in nappy changing, twice. I made it clear I never had a problem with nappy
changing being in a separate room, on changing tables. I hate it that the
two are even mentioned in the same sentence. There is just no comparison.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Chookie
November 30th 05, 01:56 AM
In article >,
"Child" > wrote:

> My SIL says that often in malls in Australia they have a "nursing" room,
> with a recliner or two for nursing moms. I'd like to see some more of
> those.

They're usually called Parents' Rooms (nursing a baby usually means cuddling
it, here). The Australian Breastfeeding Association offers awards to good
facilities:

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/products/babycare.html