PDA

View Full Version : Re: "New Yorker's Diary" - interesting

Sue
December 4th 05, 03:26 PM
I don't see a problem with her at all. She is an obviously intelligent woman
(some things she doesn't know, because she hasn't been there yet) who is
making her choice. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just because you don't
agree with her choice doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be a parent. I
didn't like being pregnant either and I mean I really hated it, does that
mean I didn't want the babies? Of course not.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"Elfanie" > wrote in message
> here is an interesting editorial/article on breastfeeding...
>
> http://www.nyobserver.com/love_newyorkersdiary.asp
>
> obviously not something *I* agree with...and she sure doesn't seem to
> happy about becoming a mother - any of it...
>
> makes me wonder why she's doing it..
>

> Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA)
> Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - Kevin 8/30/02
> and Megan 5/16/05
> Birth Minister/Doula/CBE/Pregnancy-Birth Photography
> Mesa, AZ
> http://www.birthdiaries.com
> VISIT OUR NEW ONLINE STORE!

Cuddlefish
December 4th 05, 06:24 PM
Sue wrote:
> I don't see a problem with her at all. She is an obviously intelligent woman
> (some things she doesn't know, because she hasn't been there yet) who is
> making her choice. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just because you don't
> agree with her choice doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be a parent. I
> didn't like being pregnant either and I mean I really hated it, does that
> mean I didn't want the babies? Of course not.

It is not so much that she makes choices, but that her choices affect
her children. As much as I dislike caring for a baby [my DS] I continue
to make choices based on his best interests. I will freely admit I
dislike being a stay at home mum [I'm on mat leave for one year] but to
extend that to denying my son the best start in life because of it, is
plain selfish.

I'm not breastfeeding because I have nothing better to do with my
breasts - I'm doing it because *by far* it is the best thing for a
baby's development. I look forward to the day we stop, truly, but until
then I grit my teeth and bear [bare!] it. I do however acknowledge its
convenience, for example in the middle of the night.

To enter into parenthood is to make sacrifices. They start at babyhood.
This writer hasn't figured this out yet. I presume her enjoyment of her
child will be somewhat mitigated by the horrible time she will have as a
mum until she accepts this fact.

Jacqueline

Sue
December 4th 05, 07:38 PM
"Cuddlefish" > wrote in message
> It is not so much that she makes choices, but that her choices affect
> her children.

I relate her article it to being a really good parent until you have kids to
straighten you out. ;o) There were many things I thought I knew and thought
I would do, but didn't have experience of my own, so I thought that's the
way I would handle it until the baby came. The baby had other ideas. ;o) The
woman hasn't done anything yet, except make some strong opinions before she
has had the experience to go on. She has some learning to do and she does
have misinformation, especially leaking. I didn't leak. I was engorged most
of the time because my little stinker wanted to sleep. I don't necessarily
agree with her decision and I hope that she changes her mind once the bub is
here, but I agree that it is her decision and I am glad that she has a
choice.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Chookie
December 5th 05, 02:49 AM
In article >,
"Sue" > wrote:

> I don't see a problem with her at all. She is an obviously intelligent woman
> (some things she doesn't know, because she hasn't been there yet) who is
> making her choice. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Apart from the fact that she is purportedly a journalist, but hasn't done any
research, and is being read by lots of people in a society where BFing is
still only *initiated* by -- what -- only about 60% of mothers, IIRC...

> Just because you don't
> agree with her choice doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be a parent.

Who said that? But it seems odd and sad that she doesn't seem to be happy
about *any* aspect of parenting.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Patagonia
December 5th 05, 03:51 PM
"Sue" > wrote in message
>I don't see a problem with her at all. She is an obviously intelligent
>woman
> (some things she doesn't know, because she hasn't been there yet) who is
> making her choice. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just because you don't
> agree with her choice doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be a parent. I
> didn't like being pregnant either and I mean I really hated it, does that
> mean I didn't want the babies? Of course not.

Though I don't like her choice, the thing that bothered me about the article
was the tone - a bit too sarcastic and caustic at times regarding bf and
what others would think of her for making her choice. Now, maybe she has
had some experiences that have predisposed her to that attitude, but I found
the tone of the article, especially toward the end, to be pretty
distasteful. she has every right to make her choices and write what she
will, but I didn't care for it.