PDA

View Full Version : latch on problem with twins

December 8th 05, 11:26 PM
When i am breastfeeing my twins together I get the first one latched on
fine but the second sometimes latches on wrong and it really hurts.
They both are small and I hold them in my arms while feeding.

December 8th 05, 11:31 PM
writes:
: When i am breastfeeing my twins together I get the first one latched on
: fine but the second sometimes latches on wrong and it really hurts.
: They both are small and I hold them in my arms while feeding.

Can you get someone to help you so you have an extra pair of hands
when you latch them on. BTW, I would also suggest switching side
with tme at alternate feeds.

Larry`

PattyMomVA
December 9th 05, 03:17 PM
> wrote:
> When i am breastfeeing my twins together I get the first one latched on
> fine but the second sometimes latches on wrong and it really hurts.
> They both are small and I hold them in my arms while feeding.

Can you use lots of pillows to make sure they're at the right height? Would
this enable you to let go of the first while you latch on the second?

No personal experience with twins.....
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Donna Metler
December 9th 05, 05:13 PM
"PattyMomVA" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
> > When i am breastfeeing my twins together I get the first one latched on
> > fine but the second sometimes latches on wrong and it really hurts.
> > They both are small and I hold them in my arms while feeding.
>
> Can you use lots of pillows to make sure they're at the right height?
Would
> this enable you to let go of the first while you latch on the second?
>
> No personal experience with twins.....
> -Patty, mom of 1+2

Or maybe a sling for at least one baby, so you'd only have to hold one at a
time? I can definitely see where juggling two babies and getting them both
latched on correctly would be quite difficult!

December 9th 05, 07:05 PM
Hi! How old are your twins? Nursing mine in the V position (see
http://www.karengromada.com/photos.htm) really helped me. I'd support
them with blankets while sitting in a recliner--soon I could surf at
the same time. You might also try an EZ2Nurse pillow--it looks like a
couch cushion and tilts the babies into you, but mine would never go
for that.

IME, having help for one day trying out positions and then practicing
them really helped. I'd leave the blankets in the chair, with extras
within reach, and I'd be pretty set each time I needed to nurse. I
found pillows too much for my tiny babes.

Good luck!
mehera

Jake Mysterio
December 11th 05, 06:15 AM
My twins are now 3 1/2, when they were babies I found that the most
comfortable position was to have one baby in the normal accross the body
position but angle his/her feet down towards the ground or your crouch area.
the second baby I would put in the football hold on top of a pillow which
was usually on top of the arm of an arm chair. I found raising one knee up
so that I could support the second babies head with my knee really helped.
I hope this isnt too confusing.
Some helpful hints include:
Place the baby on a pillow before you attach the first twin.Then you can
slide the baby accross.
Always attach the better feeder first, as then you will know that that baby
will attach well giving you more chance of having free hands to organise the
second baby.
Remember when they are young it seems difficult but with practice things
will work out ok, I fed mine to 17months and 2 1/2 which is when they self
weaned.
Remember it is ok to feed them seperate if that is what suits you.
But most importantly RELAX enjoy them they grow so quickly!!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. There is a great
book which I think is called Multiple Mothering which is all about
breastfeeding twins or more. Check with your multiple birth association if
they have a copy you could borrow, I am in Australia, here there is also a
breastfeeding twins video/dvd that is quite helpful.

Cheri

Nikki
December 12th 05, 01:38 PM
wrote:
> When i am breastfeeing my twins together I get the first one latched
> on fine but the second sometimes latches on wrong and it really
> hurts. They both are small and I hold them in my arms while feeding.

I don't have any idea but I plan to be there soon. I bookmarked this site
as it has some examples of different holds to try. I'm in the dark about
how to actually get two latched on at the same time though, especially when
they are little and you need to help!

http://www.karengromada.com/photos.htm

--
Nikki