PDA

View Full Version : Weaning (x posted)

Leanne
December 9th 05, 01:03 AM
Does anyone have any tips for weaning a 19 month old who is very attached to
boob :) ?

He is very stubborn and can generally outlast me in a battle of the wills
when it comes to feeding, the other night I was up with him for over 3 hours
trying to get him back to sleep without feeding and failed.

TIA

Spanannie
December 9th 05, 01:22 AM
My 18 mo old DD is obsessed too; I really have no advice for you, as my
child has no intention of weaning either. I've been pregnant and/or
nursing--sometimes both--since Sept 2001, and I get tired of having her
hang on me constantly. However, I've decided that I will go along with
her and let her nurse, since she loves it so. I figure she'll give it
up eventually. We'll revisit this, though, at age 2, since I really
don't want to nurse pass 2. I need a break!

No advice to offer, just wanted to let you know I understand.

Annie

> Does anyone have any tips for weaning a 19 month old who is very attached to
> boob :) ?
>
> He is very stubborn and can generally outlast me in a battle of the wills
> when it comes to feeding, the other night I was up with him for over 3 hours
> trying to get him back to sleep without feeding and failed.
>
> TIA

December 9th 05, 01:38 AM
Leanne > writes:
: Does anyone have any tips for weaning a 19 month old who is very attached to
: boob :) ?

: He is very stubborn and can generally outlast me in a battle of the wills
: when it comes to feeding, the other night I was up with him for over 3 hours
: trying to get him back to sleep without feeding and failed.

: TIA

Well, the good news is that even if you lose this round, (and maybe the
next) he will eventually grow out of it. Generally there are two
"opportune" times to wean when you are ready to stop, and you don't
know if your nursling is.

1. Where there is a change of routine. Anything that breaks up the
bedtime routine like a vacation can be used.

2. When he is feeling particularly independent. Toddlers usually go
through phases of independence and clinginess lasting a couple of months
apiece. Pick the beginning or middle of one of the independent phases.
Don't try to wean in the clingy phase, this will just make it worse.

Good luck,
Larry

Leanne
December 9th 05, 02:38 AM
> My 18 mo old DD is obsessed too; I really have no advice for you, as my
> child has no intention of weaning either. I've been pregnant and/or
> nursing--sometimes both--since Sept 2001, and I get tired of having her
> hang on me constantly. However, I've decided that I will go along with
> her and let her nurse, since she loves it so. I figure she'll give it up
> eventually. We'll revisit this, though, at age 2, since I really don't
> want to nurse pass 2. I need a break!
>
> No advice to offer, just wanted to let you know I understand.

Thanks Annie.

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. I don't wish to tandem feed when #2
comes and I'm 21 weeks at the moment, so we don't have a huge amount of
time.

However I don't want to just throw him off because a new baby is coming, in
my mind this may make him resentful so I'd like to do it as slowly as
possible.

Leanne
December 9th 05, 02:40 AM
> Well, the good news is that even if you lose this round, (and maybe the
> next) he will eventually grow out of it. Generally there are two
> "opportune" times to wean when you are ready to stop, and you don't
> know if your nursling is.
>
> 1. Where there is a change of routine. Anything that breaks up the
> bedtime routine like a vacation can be used.
>
> 2. When he is feeling particularly independent. Toddlers usually go
> through phases of independence and clinginess lasting a couple of months
> apiece. Pick the beginning or middle of one of the independent phases.
> Don't try to wean in the clingy phase, this will just make it worse.

I've been thinking about this.

We co-sleep (it was unintentional lol) so maybe if I started moving him into
his own bedroom and then weaning... or maybe both at the same time (that
seems a bit mean)

any advise on moving them to a separate bed? as he really hates this one too
lol... I'm not sure what I got myself into ;)

Chookie
December 9th 05, 10:18 AM
In article >,
"Leanne" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips for weaning a 19 month old who is very attached to
> boob :) ?
>
> He is very stubborn and can generally outlast me in a battle of the wills
> when it comes to feeding, the other night I was up with him for over 3 hours
> trying to get him back to sleep without feeding and failed.

I'm not worth taking advice from as DS1 still has a bedtime slurp, but I've
heard that the bedtime feed is usually the last to go. If you are also trying
to move him to another bed I'd feed him to sleep in the new bed until he's
happy there, and wean him from the bedtime feed later.

In the last week, DS1 has taken to coming off the boob and telling me that
he's left a bit for DS2 :-)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Spanannie
December 9th 05, 01:57 PM
My DS weaned on his own accord when he was 19 mos (I was 5 mos pg with
DD). I think my milk supply just wasn't to his liking anymore, since
when he just quit, I had not even a hint of engorgement etc. Maybe your
supply will take a dip, too, which might discourage him? By the time DD
was born, he forgot that he ever nursed. He tried once, and just
"licked" me, and thought it was really funny; he never tried again.

Annie

Leanne wrote:
>>My 18 mo old DD is obsessed too; I really have no advice for you, as my
>>child has no intention of weaning either. I've been pregnant and/or
>>nursing--sometimes both--since Sept 2001, and I get tired of having her
>>hang on me constantly. However, I've decided that I will go along with
>>her and let her nurse, since she loves it so. I figure she'll give it up
>>eventually. We'll revisit this, though, at age 2, since I really don't
>>want to nurse pass 2. I need a break!
>>
>>No advice to offer, just wanted to let you know I understand.
>

> Thanks Annie.
>
> Your situation sounds exactly like mine. I don't wish to tandem feed when #2
> comes and I'm 21 weeks at the moment, so we don't have a huge amount of
> time.
>
> However I don't want to just throw him off because a new baby is coming, in
> my mind this may make him resentful so I'd like to do it as slowly as
> possible.

December 10th 05, 01:16 AM
Leanne wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips for weaning a 19 month old who is very attached to
> boob :) ?
>
> He is very stubborn and can generally outlast me in a battle of the wills
> when it comes to feeding, the other night I was up with him for over 3 hours
> trying to get him back to sleep without feeding and failed.

I haven't done it myself yet but many women I know claim that the best
way is to get someone else (such as your partner) to settle down the
baby. When the milk is right there they go crazy for it.

Elle

Catherine Woodgold
December 19th 05, 11:47 PM
You might get some tips from my article
"Mother-led weaning/tantrums" at the bottom
of my parenting page:
http://www.ncf.ca/~an588/par_home.html

"Leanne" ) writes:
> Does anyone have any tips for weaning a 19 month old who is very attached to
> boob :) ?
>
> He is very stubborn and can generally outlast me in a battle of the wills
> when it comes to feeding, the other night I was up with him for over 3 hours
> trying to get him back to sleep without feeding and failed.
>
> TIA

Irene
December 20th 05, 04:41 AM
Chookie wrote:

> In the last week, DS1 has taken to coming off the boob and telling me that
> he's left a bit for DS2 :-)

Aaawww...that's so sweet!

No advice here, alas - ds weaned easily at 2.5 when I was pg with dd.
Since dd is most likely our last, I'm not going to be able to use that
technique, and at 20 months, she still bf's plenty.

Irene

Iuil
December 20th 05, 07:43 AM
"Irene" wrote

> Chookie wrote:
>
> > In the last week, DS1 has taken to coming off the boob and telling me
that
> > he's left a bit for DS2 :-)
> >
> Aaawww...that's so sweet!

I agree - DD usually complains that DS has taken it all!

I'm working on the long, slow, gradual weaning process - I hope to be
finished by the time she's old enough to leave school ;-) though anytime now
would be just fine too!

Jean

--
DD - June '02