PDA

View Full Version : Reuters article...

Amy
January 3rd 06, 04:01 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051230/od_nm/odd_birth_dc

I am pretty sure that I'd still be pushing if I had been instructed to
push ten *minutes* per contraction. Hee hee...

Amy

Mum of Two
January 3rd 06, 11:47 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051230/od_nm/odd_birth_dc
>
> I am pretty sure that I'd still be pushing if I had been instructed to
> push ten *minutes* per contraction. Hee hee...

The study findings don't particularly surprise me.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

January 3rd 06, 11:53 PM
In misc.kids.pregnancy Mum of Two > wrote:

: The study findings don't particularly surprise me.

This is what I thought when I read it.

Larry

January 4th 06, 02:35 AM
They don't mention the biohazard posed by fed up mothers grabbing the
chorus line chanting "push, push!" and flinging them across the room.

M.

Mum of Two
January 4th 06, 06:55 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> They don't mention the biohazard posed by fed up mothers grabbing the
> chorus line chanting "push, push!" and flinging them across the room.

No kidding! Not that anyone did that to me after I involuntarily threw a cup
of water across the room.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Sue
January 4th 06, 02:17 PM
Whatever. I think the mom should do what's comfortable for them. I found it
emensely helpful to have the nurse count to ten during the pushing stage. I
found that I could concentrate better and knowing that when I got to ten,
that it was over for a bit. To each their own. :o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051230/od_nm/odd_birth_dc
>
> I am pretty sure that I'd still be pushing if I had been instructed to
> push ten *minutes* per contraction. Hee hee...
>
> Amy

Ericka Kammerer
January 4th 06, 02:57 PM
Sue wrote:
> Whatever. I think the mom should do what's comfortable for them. I found it
> emensely helpful to have the nurse count to ten during the pushing stage. I
> found that I could concentrate better and knowing that when I got to ten,
> that it was over for a bit. To each their own. :o)

But I think the point of the article was simply
for women to push as they pleased. If it pleased you
to push in that way, fine. Still, I think it's a pretty
important tidbit that allowing women to push how and
when they please results in less trauma for the women.
That's a goal worth having! I pushed as I pleased all
three times, and didn't require any stitches. (I
don't think that's the only reason, but I think it's
a contributing factor.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Anonymama
January 4th 06, 04:57 PM
In article >,
"Sue" > wrote:

> Whatever. I think the mom should do what's comfortable for them. I found it
> emensely helpful to have the nurse count to ten during the pushing stage. I
> found that I could concentrate better and knowing that when I got to ten,
> that it was over for a bit. To each their own. :o)

I had a similar experience with my first -- I was a bit nutso from
exhaustion and stress, and liked having someone (politely) tell me what
to do. This time I'm hoping to be more in control, mentally and
physically.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, due in April

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213&topic=250

Mum of Two
January 5th 06, 12:17 AM
"Anonymama" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Sue" > wrote:
>
>> Whatever. I think the mom should do what's comfortable for them. I found
>> it
>> emensely helpful to have the nurse count to ten during the pushing stage.
>> found that I could concentrate better and knowing that when I got to ten,
>> that it was over for a bit. To each their own. :o)
>
> I had a similar experience with my first -- I was a bit nutso from
> exhaustion and stress, and liked having someone (politely) tell me what
> to do. This time I'm hoping to be more in control, mentally and
> physically.

Ericka has hit the nail on the head I think. If you like coached labour,
it's obviously the thing for you. I guess it provides some people with a
sense of security, and that's fine. If you don't though, it's good to know
that you're not missing out by forgoing it. I take antenatal booking calls
and a lot of first-timers seem to be under a lot of pressure to 'get it
right' when they'd have probably been better posting to these groups,
knowing the facts and their rights, putting it down in a birth plan then
just going with the flow.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Ericka Kammerer
January 5th 06, 12:34 AM
Mum of Two wrote:

> Ericka has hit the nail on the head I think. If you like coached labour,
> it's obviously the thing for you. I guess it provides some people with a
> sense of security, and that's fine. If you don't though, it's good to know
> that you're not missing out by forgoing it. I take antenatal booking calls
> and a lot of first-timers seem to be under a lot of pressure to 'get it
> right' when they'd have probably been better posting to these groups,
> knowing the facts and their rights, putting it down in a birth plan then
> just going with the flow.

To me, the issue is that the coached pushing often
gets women holding their breath, pushing too hard, pushing
in a bad position, etc. These things can cause some real
damage. If a woman is feeling fine with the coaching,
then odds are better that damage isn't being done. On
the other hand, if it's a matter of providing focus and
support, that could likely be done without the downsides
of insisting on breath-holding, super-duper, long stints
of pushing while on one's back or tailbone, which is all
too often the case ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

January 5th 06, 01:02 AM
In misc.kids.breastfeeding Ericka Kammerer > wrote:
: Mum of Two wrote:

[...]

This was one of the very issues identified in the MCA articles
I posted a link to earlier today. According to them directed
pushing is one of the causes of pelvic floor dysfunction.

The articles should be read for other reasons, too. They
directly address a number of the issues alath and Ericka were
having such a spirited and informative (IMHO) disucssion about.

I spend a couple of hours perusing the pages after I posted the
link. If I have any criticisms, the first is that they offer
way two few quantitative results, and they are buried way to
far down in a chain on long links, and their recommendations
are stated way to insipidly and "politically correctly."

Larry

Amy
January 5th 06, 01:05 AM
(Just replying to the most recent post, here.)

*sigh* Nobody gets me.

The part that I was pointing out was this:

"Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern found that women
who were told to push 10 ****minutes**** for every contraction gave
birth 13 minutes faster than those who were not given specific
instructions." (emphasis mine).

And I said, "If I had pushed ten minutes for every contraction, I'd
still be pushing!" <rimshot>

Maybe it helps if you picture me with some of those Groucho Marx
glasses and a cigar.

I know, I know, they meant seconds. I just thought it was funny.

Amy (not funny)

Michelle J. Haines
January 5th 06, 01:25 AM
Amy wrote:
> (Just replying to the most recent post, here.)
>
> *sigh* Nobody gets me.

No, some of us got it, it just wasn't funny enough to warrant a "me too"
post. ;)

Michelle
Flutist

Ericka Kammerer
January 5th 06, 01:25 AM
Amy wrote:
> (Just replying to the most recent post, here.)
>
> *sigh* Nobody gets me.
>
> The part that I was pointing out was this:
>
> "Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern found that women
> who were told to push 10 ****minutes**** for every contraction gave
> birth 13 minutes faster than those who were not given specific
> instructions." (emphasis mine).
>
> And I said, "If I had pushed ten minutes for every contraction, I'd
> still be pushing!" <rimshot>
>
> Maybe it helps if you picture me with some of those Groucho Marx
> glasses and a cigar.
>
> I know, I know, they meant seconds. I just thought it was funny.
>
> Amy (not funny)

I got you, and thought it was amusing ;-) I
was just responding to downstream comments...

Best wishes,
Ericka

Amy
January 5th 06, 03:11 AM
Michelle J. Haines wrote:
> Amy wrote:
> > (Just replying to the most recent post, here.)
> >
> > *sigh* Nobody gets me.
>
> No, some of us got it, it just wasn't funny enough to warrant a "me too"
> post. ;)

Phew!!! I was ready to start tapping the microphone and saying, "Hey,
is this thing on?" :)

Amy

Mum of Two
January 5th 06, 08:59 AM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> (Just replying to the most recent post, here.)
>
> *sigh* Nobody gets me.
>
> The part that I was pointing out was this:
>
> "Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern found that women
> who were told to push 10 ****minutes**** for every contraction gave
> birth 13 minutes faster than those who were not given specific
> instructions." (emphasis mine).

Yeah, I got it. I just thought it was interesting for other reasons ;-) I
did do a double take at the minutes part, for a while there I wondered if
I'd got off really, really easy.