PDA

View Full Version : questions and a recommendation

Ruth Shear
January 7th 06, 08:10 PM
G'day

Ha. Once I post something (see FAO:DrRuth thread) then I think of
questions to ask..

1. Some one remind me the best time to start introducing a bottle. Late
enough to avoid nipple confusion. Early enough that it is likely that
Leina will agree to drink from the bottle. Reason is so DH can feed her
too. With EBM of course.

2. I forgot the other question. Doh. Oh no, now I remember. Anyone else
out there using Lilypadz? http://www.lilypadz.com/ They are silicone
nursing pads that supply pressure to your nipples and prevent, or at
least reduce leakage. I leak a lot. I decided to try them and they
worked really well. When I did leak, the milk was trapped under the pad
too, so I just had to make sure there was something to catch the
collected milk when I did remove the pad. They say that one pair can
last "months" and that some mothers have used one pair for 6 months. I
wear them all day, wash them each night, don't wear them at night. It's
been two months and the adhesiveness is almost gone. I'm wondering how
you get 6 months out of them. Anyone else with the same experience?

3. Which reminds me - here is a recommendation rather than a question.
At night I don't wear the lilypadz and leak or should I say gush out of
one side while feeding on the other. We cosleep. Last time I slept on
folded towels that would get very wet by morning. This time, on the
recommendation of a mother in my mamas group, I bought a fuzzibunz large
mat - it's like their change mat but bigger, and I put it under myself
and Leina on our bed. The top layer is fleece, the middle is absorbant
material and the bottom is waterproof - just like a fuzzibunz diaper. It
is comfortable, and stays dry all night. Incredible! I recommend this
for all leakers.

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001)
Madeleina Venus (Nov 12th, 2005)
<http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/>

Mary W.
January 7th 06, 09:33 PM
Ruth Shear wrote:
> G'day
>
> Ha. Once I post something (see FAO:DrRuth thread) then I think of
> questions to ask..
>
> 1. Some one remind me the best time to start introducing a bottle. Late
> enough to avoid nipple confusion. Early enough that it is likely that
> Leina will agree to drink from the bottle. Reason is so DH can feed her
> too. With EBM of course.

4-6 weeks if breastfeeding is well established. I reccommend
4, with frequent small bottles (1-2 ounces 4-5 times a week)
if it is really important that the baby takes a bottle. Definately
by 8 weeks. If you don't do it very frequently you may end up with a
baby that refuses one. It really depends on how important it is
that baby takes the bottle. If there are problems breastfeeding,
hold off on the bottle. I think you said Leina is 8 weeks? If
so the sooner, the better.

> 2. I forgot the other question. Doh. Oh no, now I remember. Anyone else
> out there using Lilypadz?

I didn't use them very often, but did like them, so I can't comment on
how long they should last. I did like them, though.

Mary W.

Amy
January 9th 06, 12:16 AM
Ruth Shear wrote:

> 2. I forgot the other question. Doh. Oh no, now I remember. Anyone else
> out there using Lilypadz? http://www.lilypadz.com/

I've never used them, but I noticed tonight that Babycenter has them on
sale...

Comfort Gel: 5% off
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T28914E6C

Lily Padz: 10% off
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D59924E6C

Not a huge savings, but it might help if you buy a lot of them.

Amy (I am spam, spam I am)

Jenny
January 9th 06, 02:48 AM
I feed DD at 10 weeks and she took the bottle no problem, my mistake
was not giving her the bottle again for 2 weeks, At three months there
was no way she would take it.

Now at 4 months it is very irregular, sometimes she takes it sometimes
she does not.

Ruth Shear ha escrito:

> G'day
>
> Ha. Once I post something (see FAO:DrRuth thread) then I think of
> questions to ask..
>
> 1. Some one remind me the best time to start introducing a bottle. Late
> enough to avoid nipple confusion. Early enough that it is likely that
> Leina will agree to drink from the bottle. Reason is so DH can feed her
> too. With EBM of course.
>
> 2. I forgot the other question. Doh. Oh no, now I remember. Anyone else
> out there using Lilypadz? http://www.lilypadz.com/ They are silicone
> nursing pads that supply pressure to your nipples and prevent, or at
> least reduce leakage. I leak a lot. I decided to try them and they
> worked really well. When I did leak, the milk was trapped under the pad
> too, so I just had to make sure there was something to catch the
> collected milk when I did remove the pad. They say that one pair can
> last "months" and that some mothers have used one pair for 6 months. I
> wear them all day, wash them each night, don't wear them at night. It's
> been two months and the adhesiveness is almost gone. I'm wondering how
> you get 6 months out of them. Anyone else with the same experience?
>
> 3. Which reminds me - here is a recommendation rather than a question.
> At night I don't wear the lilypadz and leak or should I say gush out of
> one side while feeding on the other. We cosleep. Last time I slept on
> folded towels that would get very wet by morning. This time, on the
> recommendation of a mother in my mamas group, I bought a fuzzibunz large
> mat - it's like their change mat but bigger, and I put it under myself
> and Leina on our bed. The top layer is fleece, the middle is absorbant
> material and the bottom is waterproof - just like a fuzzibunz diaper. It
> is comfortable, and stays dry all night. Incredible! I recommend this
> for all leakers.
>
> DrRuth
> Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001)
> Madeleina Venus (Nov 12th, 2005)
> <http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/>

Chookie
January 9th 06, 12:25 PM
In article >,
Ruth Shear > wrote:

> 3. Which reminds me - here is a recommendation rather than a question.
> At night I don't wear the lilypadz and leak or should I say gush out of
> one side while feeding on the other.

Ruth, have you tried feedign from one breast for 6 hours, then switching over?
It worked very well for me, though I may go back to it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.