PDA

View Full Version : Pumping Question

seth london
January 10th 06, 06:59 PM
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sarah and I have been lurking
since pregnancy. You all have great advice and have helped us alot. My DS
is now 4 months old and loves his breast milk.

Now for my question - I work one day a week but am gone for 14 hours. I
pump at least 3 times with a Pump in Style - the original not the advanced.
My question is do I need to start out pumping fast and then decrease the
speed after a few minutes like the advanced version does automatically? Or
does it not matter? Since I am away such a long time I want to make sure
that I pump as much as possible so DS has plenty of milk the next day.

TIA,
Sarah

oregonchick
January 10th 06, 09:10 PM
I use a Pump in Style 6 times a day, and I always start it out slow and bump
up the speed because it hurts my nipples if I start out too fast. I don't
have a problem with my let down or production, so I don't really think speed
has alot to do with it.

Betsy

"seth london" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sarah and I have been lurking
> since pregnancy. You all have great advice and have helped us alot. My
> DS is now 4 months old and loves his breast milk.
>
> Now for my question - I work one day a week but am gone for 14 hours. I
> pump at least 3 times with a Pump in Style - the original not the
> advanced. My question is do I need to start out pumping fast and then
> decrease the speed after a few minutes like the advanced version does
> automatically? Or does it not matter? Since I am away such a long time I
> want to make sure that I pump as much as possible so DS has plenty of milk
> the next day.
>
> TIA,
> Sarah

Anne Rogers
January 10th 06, 10:03 PM
>I use a Pump in Style 6 times a day, and I always start it out slow and
>bump up the speed because it hurts my nipples if I start out too fast. I
>don't have a problem with my let down or production, so I don't really
>think speed has alot to do with it.

actually, most people do seem to find whatever the pump, they need to go on
a higher speed at the start to get a let down, some people say high speed,
low suction, but I find I need more than the minimum suction, and high speed
and only once I have a let down can I reduce the speed, from my time hanging
out on pumpmoms, this seemd to be fairly common.

Sometimes you can up the speed again when your output slows down and get
another let down, but I rarely managed that.

Anne

Mary W.
January 11th 06, 12:21 AM
seth london wrote:
> Now for my question - I work one day a week but am gone for 14 hours. I
> pump at least 3 times with a Pump in Style - the original not the advanced.
> My question is do I need to start out pumping fast and then decrease the
> speed after a few minutes like the advanced version does automatically? Or
> does it not matter? Since I am away such a long time I want to make sure
> that I pump as much as possible so DS has plenty of milk the next day.

It's up to you. I found that I let down better doing the weaker
suction/faster until letdown than slowing it down and increasing
suction a bit. Depending on how long you have to pump, sometime
you can get a second let down by continuing to pump after it
appears you have emptied your breast. I rarely had the patience
for that!

Mary W.

oregonchick
January 11th 06, 03:00 AM
"Mary W." > wrote in message
nk.net...

> seth london wrote:
>> Now for my question - I work one day a week but am gone for 14 hours. I
>> pump at least 3 times with a Pump in Style - the original not the
>> advanced. My question is do I need to start out pumping fast and then
>> decrease the speed after a few minutes like the advanced version does
>> automatically? Or does it not matter? Since I am away such a long time
>> I want to make sure that I pump as much as possible so DS has plenty of
>> milk the next day.
>
> It's up to you. I found that I let down better doing the weaker
> suction/faster until letdown than slowing it down and increasing
> suction a bit. Depending on how long you have to pump, sometime
> you can get a second let down by continuing to pump after it
> appears you have emptied your breast. I rarely had the patience
> for that!
>
> Mary W.

I have found like you said that if you ARE patient you can get a second let
down. I was very patient initially, but now unless there is something
really good on TV and I can just park myself there for a half hour or so, I
don't have the patience either!

Kim E
January 11th 06, 05:27 AM
"oregonchick" > wrote
> "Mary W." > wrote
>>
>> It's up to you. I found that I let down better doing the weaker
>> suction/faster until letdown than slowing it down and increasing
>> suction a bit. Depending on how long you have to pump, sometime
>> you can get a second let down by continuing to pump after it
>> appears you have emptied your breast. I rarely had the patience
>> for that!
>
> I have found like you said that if you ARE patient you can get a
> second let down. I was very patient initially, but now unless
> there is something really good on TV and I can just park myself
> there for a half hour or so, I don't have the patience either!

Do you have a hands-free set up? That way you can read or type on
the computer or do whatever else requires 2 hands! :)
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands-free-pumping.html
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/pumping_bra/hands_free_bra.pdf

-kim