PDA

View Full Version : Clicking

Poppy
January 13th 06, 12:09 PM
Hello again

Glad to be back here with baby #2 (well I didn't really leave but pg got
complicated). He's now 6 weeks old and has been doing fine putting on an
average of 10oz a week for his first 4 weeks!!! Haven't had him weighed
since so I don't know if this 'clicking' is affecting weight gain or not
yet.

Over the past 3 weeks he's been clicking whilst feeding. He latches
beautifully and has 10 or so really strong sucks then starts clicking every
3 or 4 sucks and slowly releasing his latch but doesn't let go of the
nipple, just keeps chomping away and it's getting painful. Also milk
escapes from his mouth and soaks us both. He takes on board a lot of wind
in the process and consequently spends the next hour after feeding yelling
because of trapped wind. Yes we both had thrush but I believe that we're
clear now (had the dosage recommended in the LLL Answer Book which was
double what I had last time). His poo output over the past two days has
been non-existent and he's definitely weeing less though still gets through
about 6 or 7 cloth nappies in 24 hours (we were at 10 wet ones a day until a
week ago).

I'm finding it very distressing. It's agony to let him just 'hang on' until
he comes off naturally but I want him to get as much nourishment and comfort
as he wants.

TIA
--Poppy

Notchalk
January 13th 06, 12:18 PM
On 2006-01-13 20:09:50 +0800, "Poppy" > said:

> Hello again
>
> Glad to be back here with baby #2 (well I didn't really leave but pg
> got complicated). He's now 6 weeks old and has been doing fine putting
> on an average of 10oz a week for his first 4 weeks!!! Haven't had him
> weighed since so I don't know if this 'clicking' is affecting weight
> gain or not yet.
>
> Over the past 3 weeks he's been clicking whilst feeding. He latches
> beautifully and has 10 or so really strong sucks then starts clicking
> every 3 or 4 sucks and slowly releasing his latch but doesn't let go of
> the nipple, just keeps chomping away and it's getting painful. Also
> milk escapes from his mouth and soaks us both. He takes on board a lot
> of wind in the process and consequently spends the next hour after
> feeding yelling because of trapped wind. Yes we both had thrush but I
> believe that we're clear now (had the dosage recommended in the LLL
> Answer Book which was double what I had last time). His poo output
> over the past two days has been non-existent and he's definitely weeing
> less though still gets through about 6 or 7 cloth nappies in 24 hours
> (we were at 10 wet ones a day until a week ago).
>
> I'm finding it very distressing. It's agony to let him just 'hang on'
> until he comes off naturally but I want him to get as much nourishment
> and comfort as he wants.
>
> TIA
> --Poppy

In my experience, the clicking happens because the latch is losing
vacuum/suction. That would be perfectly understandable if there is so
much milk it soaks you both! It is probably his way of not getting so
much, as if he kept the vacuum up, he would be getting way too much.
If it hurts, perhaps put him on *after* a letdown, and see if that
makes a difference? As he gets older he'll enjoy the abundance of milk
in each suck, but at the moment it might be too much for him.

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Poppy
January 13th 06, 12:38 PM
"Notchalk" > wrote in message
> On 2006-01-13 20:09:50 +0800, "Poppy" > said:
> In my experience, the clicking happens because the latch is losing
> vacuum/suction. That would be perfectly understandable if there is so
> much milk it soaks you both! It is probably his way of not getting so
> much, as if he kept the vacuum up, he would be getting way too much. If
> it hurts, perhaps put him on *after* a letdown, and see if that makes a
> difference? As he gets older he'll enjoy the abundance of milk in each
> suck, but at the moment it might be too much for him.
>
> Jo
> --
Thanks Jo. I suppose this *is* possible as I certainly have more milk this
time than with #1 son . I wasn't considering this as a possible cause
because I'm not still spurting if I take him off at that point, nor do I
leak atall - but I stand to be corrected. Can it be that when vacuum is
applied it's forceful and yet when the vacuum's released there's 'nothing to
show'? If trying the *after* a let down route, should I express first to
get the let down (dumb question I guess)?

--Poppy

JennP
January 13th 06, 06:24 PM
"Poppy" > wrote in message
. ..

> Over the past 3 weeks he's been clicking whilst feeding. He latches
> beautifully and has 10 or so really strong sucks then starts clicking
every
> 3 or 4 sucks and slowly releasing his latch but doesn't let go of the
> nipple, just keeps chomping away and it's getting painful.

DD did this for probably 2.5-3 months. I tried everything to fix her latch
but ultimately, I think she just needed to grow. I know that doesn't help
much. Good luck.

JennP.

Amy
January 13th 06, 07:37 PM
Poppy wrote:

Welcome back!

> Over the past 3 weeks he's been clicking whilst feeding. He latches
> beautifully and has 10 or so really strong sucks then starts clicking every
> 3 or 4 sucks and slowly releasing his latch but doesn't let go of the
> nipple, just keeps chomping away and it's getting painful.

Mine does that when she's tired - I call it noodling. Try taking him
off when it first starts to hurt, and re-latching him. After all, if
he can get the 10 strong sucks before he slips, then you re-latch and
do it again, etc. he'll get more of the strong sucks.

It really, really helped my DD when she got a little bigger, her mouth
didn't slip as easily. Now, like I said, it only happens when she's
tired.

Good luck!
Amy

Mogget
January 17th 06, 10:42 PM
In message >, JennP
> writes

<clicking>

>DD did this for probably 2.5-3 months. I tried everything to fix her latch
>but ultimately, I think she just needed to grow. I know that doesn't help
>much. Good luck.

You've said exactly what I was going to say!

It was a problem, it hurt, it sorted itself out.
--
Mogget

Nikki
January 17th 06, 10:52 PM
Mogget wrote:
> In message >, JennP
> > writes
>
> <clicking>
>
>> DD did this for probably 2.5-3 months. I tried everything to fix her
>> latch but ultimately, I think she just needed to grow. I know that
>> doesn't help much. Good luck.
>
> You've said exactly what I was going to say!
>
> It was a problem, it hurt, it sorted itself out.

Hunter clicked all the time no matter what I did. It didn't seem to affect
the amount of milk he got, nor his latch. He gained great and after the
initial tenderness his latch didn't hurt at all.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99