PDA

View Full Version : First visit to the OB

Truffles
August 29th 03, 09:35 PM
Well, I just got back from the OB. Nice enough fellow. The one thing
that stuck out was he didn't look at his watch the whole time I was
there. I was there for about 40 minutes, too.

After he asked me a bunch of questions, he took my blood pressure and
checked the baby's heartrate with the Doppler. Then it was time for my
questions. LOL! :-D

I asked about:
VBAC
Medication Protocols
C-section statistics

So, essentially it comes down to how aggressive I am to pursue a VBAC.
Because this hospital is a regional one and not a tertiary, he will
section at the first sign of trouble.

Induction Protocol - He won't induce a VBAC.

Fetal Monitoring Policy - He will monitor a little more aggressively if
there are indications of potential problems but will work with me so I
will be able to get up and move around.

Episiotomy - He only does episiotomies if it is an operative birth.

Different types of Epidurals - He can work with me if necessary.

Eating during labour - I can eat during labour but only lightly.

How many people can attend the birth? - As many as can fit in the room.

How long does he let the cord pulse before cutting? - My decision.

Avoiding/treating Hypoglycaemia in Newborns - Unsure. I'm to check with
the maternity ward.

Tours of Labour and delivery - Yes.

Rooming in - Yes.

Breastfeeding support - In hospital support (I'll believe it when I see it).

Lactation Consultants - supposedly 3 on call.

Milk Bank - Closest is Vancouver and is unsure about the protocols.

Doulas - Doesn't have a problem working with them. He gave me the name
of the nurse who co-ordinates the doulas on the ward.

So, all in all, a reasonable OB, I think. I'm to have a Triple Screen
next week. Then an ultrasound in about 3 weeks and then he wants to see
me again.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Aprill
August 29th 03, 09:45 PM
Truffles wrote:
> Well, I just got back from the OB. Nice enough fellow. The one thing
> that stuck out was he didn't look at his watch the whole time I was
> there. I was there for about 40 minutes, too.
>
> After he asked me a bunch of questions, he took my blood pressure and
> checked the baby's heartrate with the Doppler. Then it was time for my
> questions. LOL! :-D

Wow, you really had your head together for your first visit. I'm such an
amateur that I didnt have my q's til my second visit just this last week.

I also asked about intervention related stuff - induction, cs etc and he
said "lets not even get into that now... i see no reason for you not to
have a normal, natural birth. We'll negotiate later on when we know if
we'll have to deal with anything like blood pressure, GD etc"

so I was happy enough with that.

Will have to take note of all your other question for my next visit as
I'll be booking into the hospital then.

cheers,
Aprill

Edd#1 some time in feb

Truffles
August 29th 03, 10:02 PM
Aprill wrote:

> Truffles wrote:
>
>> Well, I just got back from the OB. Nice enough fellow. The one thing
>> that stuck out was he didn't look at his watch the whole time I was
>> there. I was there for about 40 minutes, too.
>>
>> After he asked me a bunch of questions, he took my blood pressure and
>> checked the baby's heartrate with the Doppler. Then it was time for
>> my questions. LOL! :-D
>>

> Wow, you really had your head together for your first visit. I'm such an
> amateur that I didnt have my q's til my second visit just this last week.
>
> I also asked about intervention related stuff - induction, cs etc and he
> said "lets not even get into that now... i see no reason for you not to
> have a normal, natural birth. We'll negotiate later on when we know if
> we'll have to deal with anything like blood pressure, GD etc"
>
> so I was happy enough with that.
>
> Will have to take note of all your other question for my next visit as
> I'll be booking into the hospital then.

It's just my personality. ;-)

I said to him, "I expect you and me to work as partners on this birth to
achieve the optimum goal; a healthy baby and a healthy mom. If it means
a second c-section, so be it."

His response was raised eyebrows and an "okay". :-D

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Cheryl S.
August 29th 03, 10:15 PM
Truffles > wrote in message
> So, all in all, a reasonable OB, I think. I'm to have a Triple
> Screen next week. Then an ultrasound in about 3 weeks
> and then he wants to see me again.

Sounds like a good visit Brigitte. It's nice to hear he was so
responsive and not anxious to get on to the next appointment.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Carol Ann
August 30th 03, 03:31 PM
:: Well, I just got back from the OB. Nice enough fellow. The one thing
:: that stuck out was he didn't look at his watch the whole time I was
:: there. I was there for about 40 minutes, too.
::
:: After he asked me a bunch of questions, he took my blood pressure and
:: checked the baby's heartrate with the Doppler. Then it was time for my
:: questions. LOL! :-D

Brigitte,

Sounds like you really know what you are doing! So proactive.

My first visit was really not that eventful. I'm STILL only concerned with
miscarriage and a healthy baby.

The only thing I can say is that I did say I did not want a CVS and would
think about an Amnio test and that I wanted an ultrasound as soon as
possible. I also selected the hospital in town that is known for its
maternity facilities.

My next appointment is on the 11th. I'll be between 11 and 12 weeks. I'm
still not sure what to talk about. I just want to be sure that the baby is
healthy.

I guess the other questions will come later.

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Truffles
August 30th 03, 04:33 PM
Carol Ann wrote:
> The only thing I can say is that I did say I did not want a CVS and would
> think about an Amnio test and that I wanted an ultrasound as soon as
> possible. I also selected the hospital in town that is known for its
> maternity facilities.

In BC, OB's are not primary caregivers during a pregnancy. You only see
them under special circumstances. In my case it's because I had a
previous c-section. I didn't ask all these questions of my family
doctor who is the primary doctor. Also, you can't really pick a hospital.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Charlotte Millington
September 9th 03, 04:26 AM
Truffles > wrote in message >...
> Well, I just got back from the OB. Nice enough fellow. The one thing
> that stuck out was he didn't look at his watch the whole time I was
> there. I was there for about 40 minutes, too.
>
> After he asked me a bunch of questions, he took my blood pressure and
> checked the baby's heartrate with the Doppler. Then it was time for my
> questions. LOL! :-D

GREAT questions! You do it right!

Charlotte