PDA

View Full Version : first movements...

little one
August 30th 03, 08:03 PM
i am 16 weeks today and i know that between today and teh next 4 weeks i
should start to feel the baby move. but since this is my first, i don't
really know what i am looking for. all anyone keeps telling me is
"you'll know" but that doesn't really help my piece of mind at all.
when did you feel that first movement with your first and can you
describe it at all? a girl that is only a week and a half further along
than me said that she felt hers at like 15 w and that it was a
tightening of her stomach. help!

tia
melanie

Anne Rogers
August 30th 03, 08:49 PM
I wasn't sure if what I was feeling was movement til at 16 and a half
weeks he started somersaulting to wake me up if I rolled onto my tummy on
the night. It kind of felt like there was a small animal in there.

-----------
Anne Rogers

The Huwe Family
August 30th 03, 09:10 PM
"little one" > wrote in message
> i am 16 weeks today and i know that between today and teh next 4 weeks i
> should start to feel the baby move. but since this is my first, i don't
> really know what i am looking for. all anyone keeps telling me is
> "you'll know" but that doesn't really help my piece of mind at all.
> when did you feel that first movement with your first and can you
> describe it at all? a girl that is only a week and a half further along
> than me said that she felt hers at like 15 w and that it was a
> tightening of her stomach. help!
>
> tia
> melanie

Melanie,

I wasn't able to recognize my babies kicking until I was around 24 weeks
(although I saw them moving quite rapidly during the ultrasounds. I've had
it explained as "bubbles", "butterflies" etc, but for me, it was a muscle
spasm that knocked my hand off of my belly.

Also keep in mind, that women with little body fat will probably feel them
earlier than women who are larger.

Gayle

Taniwha grrrl
August 31st 03, 03:33 AM
I was around 22 weeks I think, it was well after 20 anyway.
It was like a little goldfish flapping it's tail against the
inside of my uterus at first.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Kereru
August 31st 03, 09:20 AM
"little one" > wrote in message
> i am 16 weeks today and i know that between today and teh next 4 weeks i
> should start to feel the baby move. but since this is my first, i don't
> really know what i am looking for. all anyone keeps telling me is
> "you'll know" but that doesn't really help my piece of mind at all.
> when did you feel that first movement with your first and can you
> describe it at all? a girl that is only a week and a half further along
> than me said that she felt hers at like 15 w and that it was a
> tightening of her stomach. help!
>
> tia
> melanie

I think I was at least twenty weeks with number one before I was sure. It's
difficult to know at first but after a while it is an unmistakable feeling.
I depends on many factors including the position of the placenta. If the
placenta is anterior (on the front) you can feel the baby a lot later
because it's like a great big cusion. This is what happened with my first.
The with my second the baby was posterior (on the back) and I'm sure I felt
something around forteen weeks. It started in earnest at 16 and has been
goign crazy ever since :-)

Judy

Whirligig Witch
August 31st 03, 12:14 PM
In article >,
little one > writes
>i am 16 weeks today and i know that between today and teh next 4 weeks i
>should start to feel the baby move. but since this is my first, i don't
>really know what i am looking for. all anyone keeps telling me is
>"you'll know" but that doesn't really help my piece of mind at all.
>when did you feel that first movement with your first and can you
>describe it at all? a girl that is only a week and a half further along
>than me said that she felt hers at like 15 w and that it was a
>tightening of her stomach. help!

I first started to realise what it was about 19 weeks, but it's really
only in the last week or so that it's been very noticeable. It felt like
a fluttering in my stomach, I've heard it described as butterflies, but
it wasn't quite like that for me, but a twitching like lapping water.

--
Whirligig Witch
Mistletoe, EDD 6th Jan 04

Valerie Rake
August 31st 03, 11:02 PM
little one wrote:

>i am 16 weeks today and i know that between today and teh next 4 weeks i
>should start to feel the baby move. but since this is my first, i don't
>really know what i am looking for. all anyone keeps telling me is
>"you'll know" but that doesn't really help my piece of mind at all.
>when did you feel that first movement with your first and can you
>describe it at all? a girl that is only a week and a half further along
>than me said that she felt hers at like 15 w and that it was a
>tightening of her stomach. help!
>
>tia
>melanie

I first felt movement at around 19 weeks. It felt like a small muscle
twitch for the first week or so. Two days after I first started feeling
twitches but wasn't quite convinced it was movement and not really
muscle twitches, I laid on my stomache for a few minutes. Lots of
twitches. Rolled over, twitches stopped. Back on stomache, lots of
twitches. I figured that was a pretty clear test that baby was getting
squished and letting me know.....

Valerie

September 2nd 03, 11:17 PM
I thought I felt it one day shy of 14 weeks, then a few times on the next day.

"Elly" > thought everything was going well until Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:27:49
+0200, when "Elly" > had this to say about foul mouthed granny Linda Channell
misc.kids.pregnancy :