PDA

View Full Version : postpartum rash---help!

ellegirl
August 31st 03, 04:45 AM
After the birth of my 1st child, I developed a red rash that was so
itchy, on my left, upper outer thigh. 3 years later, I just gave
birth to my 2nd child, and I got the rash again, this time all over
both my legs! It's red and raised, and with both pregnancies, it
developed within the same week after giving birth!
I saw a dematologist, but he didn't know what caused it, only how to
treat it.
Can anyone tell me what this is? Has this happened to anyone else? I
can't find help anywhere as to what the cause is!

Thanks in advance!

Gabby

jmorgan
August 31st 03, 08:09 AM
ellegirl wrote:

> After the birth of my 1st child, I developed a red rash that was so
> itchy, on my left, upper outer thigh. 3 years later, I just gave
> birth to my 2nd child, and I got the rash again, this time all over
> both my legs! It's red and raised, and with both pregnancies, it
> developed within the same week after giving birth!
> I saw a dematologist, but he didn't know what caused it, only how to
> treat it.
> Can anyone tell me what this is? Has this happened to anyone else? I
> can't find help anywhere as to what the cause is!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gabby

It might be PUPPS (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy),
usually common in the 3rd trimester, but not unheard of in postpartum
women either. You can do a google search on it and see what you find, and
if it relates to your situation...

cara

Cheryl S.
August 31st 03, 03:19 PM
ellegirl > wrote in message
om...
> After the birth of my 1st child, I developed a red rash that
> was so itchy, on my left, upper outer thigh. 3 years later,
> I just gave birth to my 2nd child, and I got the rash again,
> this time all over both my legs! It's red and raised, and with
> both pregnancies, it developed within the same week after
> giving birth! I saw a dematologist, but he didn't know what
> caused it, only how to treat it.
> Can anyone tell me what this is? Has this happened to anyone
> else? I can't find help anywhere as to what the cause is!

It sounds similar to what happened to me but sorry to say I can't tell
you what it is. I also started with patches on my thighs, then also got
it on the outsides of my elbows, knees, and wrists and between knuckle
joints on the back of my hand, then across my forehead and temples. It
was insanely itchy. The dermatologist I saw was convinced I had
dermatomyositis due to the locations of the rash on my joints. I was
referred to a neurologist and a rheumatologist for lots of tests but
neither found any evidence to support that diagnosis. I think it must
be just some hormonal thing. It seemed to me that sun exposure made it
worse so I avoided being outside too much and used a lot of sunblock.
What was the treatment that worked for you? None of the creams I was
prescribed did anything at all, it just finally went away on its own
after about 6 months, during the winter. I sure hope I don't get a
recurrence of that this time. You have my complete sympathy - that
itching was the worst I could even imagine! It not only made it hard to
go to sleep, it actually woke me up a lot, it was so intense.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

larissa
August 31st 03, 11:04 PM
ellegirl wrote:
> After the birth of my 1st child, I developed a red rash that was so
> itchy, on my left, upper outer thigh. 3 years later, I just gave
> birth to my 2nd child, and I got the rash again, this time all over
> both my legs! It's red and raised, and with both pregnancies, it
> developed within the same week after giving birth!
> I saw a dematologist, but he didn't know what caused it, only how to
> treat it.
> Can anyone tell me what this is? Has this happened to anyone else? I
> can't find help anywhere as to what the cause is!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gabby

I developed a similar sounding rash just before I had my first. I had
patches all over me and it was incredibly itchy. It was also the middle
of summer. It lasted several weeks but went away on its own. I did not
use anything except a mild non-soap wash and non-allergenic moisturiser.
I tend to get similar rashes, eczema, when I am stressed, so I thought I
was just stressed out about the birth.

I did not get a reoccurrence with my second pregnancy. I have a friend
who also got a similar rash which she had for about 3 months I think.

I hope the itching subsides quickly and it disappears!

Larissa