PDA

View Full Version : Joint pain and mobility during labor

Cheryl S.
August 31st 03, 09:21 PM
With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried about
how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or turning
from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even help
anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Taniwha grrrl
August 31st 03, 10:37 PM
"Cheryl S." > wrote in message

How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a
natural labor?

Well I didn't have pubic or hip pain, thanks to a baby who
didn't engage, but I did have RA in my feet and knees and
was generally stiff from it. I made sure I had lots of
padding, lots of pillows, a bean bag etc. It turns out I had
to use lots of positions in my labour to get Lydia to
descend and I just made sure I had padding under pressure
points.
You may find water helpful. I also found my wheat bag great
for heating and holding against sore areas.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Kereru
September 1st 03, 02:06 AM
"Cheryl S." > wrote in message
> With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried about
> how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
> constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
> position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
> doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or turning
> from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even help
> anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
> mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
> am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
> the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.
> --
> Cheryl S.
> Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
> And a boy, EDD 5.Sept
>
> Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
> shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

I was overweight AND had lots of pelvic and hip pain with my son. The big
bath in the birthing unit was my saviour. Don't compare the bath at home.
You can float in a bigger bath, it supports your joints and allows much
better movement. Also I found a hot shower during contractions either
standing on sitting on a plastic chair helped. The more I stay still the
worse my joints get, they hurt, I sit down, they hurt more it's a vicious
cycle. So I reccomend plenty of water and gentle movement.

Good Luck

Judy

Mary
September 1st 03, 05:24 AM
Cheryl S. wrote:

> Baths don't even help
> anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
> mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
> am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
> the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.

I didn't have the joint pain you describe (many many hugs and labor
vibes coming your way, it sounds excruciating), and I think sciatica is
nerve pain -- but it disappeared during active labor. Either because
the wee girlsprout was finally moving off the pinched nerves (wouldn't
help you) or because the adrenaline rush and all the labor hormones
erased it from my consciousness (would help you).

Certainly, you'll be able to move around MUCH easier in a big deep tub
than you can now, lugging yourself through gravity. Trust your body,
trust your body; you've done it before.

I wish I had something more encouraging to say. Come on, baby, OUT!

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 17 months

Nikki
September 1st 03, 05:35 AM
Cheryl S. wrote:
> With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried
> about how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
> constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
> position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
> doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or
> turning from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even
> help anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper
> than mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How
> have others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural
> labor? I am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through
> this birth the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.

I had that type of pain for the whole third trimester with Hunter. Terrible
so I feel for ya! Anyway, I don't recall that it caused much of any problem
during labor. I moved and walked around quite a bit. Baths were great for
the labor pain. It is possible that I was so distracted by the contractions
that I didn't notice the other. Hope baby comes soon!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Denise
September 1st 03, 07:22 AM
"Cheryl S." > wrote in message
> With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried about
> how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
> constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
> position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
> doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or turning
> from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even help
> anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
> mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
> am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
> the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.

Your body has a weird way of forgetting all the minor crap during delivery
:) I had bronchitis and tons of Lupus complications during my last labor,
and joint pain didn't stop me from flipping, rocking, hobbling... all over
the L&D ward.

Tiina Kartovaara
September 1st 03, 09:54 AM
Cheryl S. wrote:
> With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried about
> how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
> constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
> position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
> doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or turning
> from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even help
> anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
> mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
> am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
> the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.

Well, I was really worried about that with pg #1, but it went amazingly
well. Of course, my pelvic pain got so bad that I got some oral steroids
and physical therapy towards the end of my third trimester, so I was
actually a little better for the last month or so. But still, my
mobility was nowhere near normal when I gave birth.

However, it didn't matter very much. I walked around *a lot*, supported
by DH, changed positions.. showers and massage helped, and a jacuzzi
must be even better! And there was an unexpected bonus - labor pain was
nowhere near as intense as the pelvic pain was at its worst. At no time
was I even tempted to ask for drugs.

As for positions, side-lying might be a bit hard if you still have that
pain, but all fours and kneeling while leaning against something
(birthing ball etc.) will probably work great, at least they did for me.
I can't honestly remember my hips causing me any extra discomfort there.
So, it can be done!

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,4
EDD Sept.15

> --
> Cheryl S.
> Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
> And a boy, EDD 5.Sept
>
> Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
> shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Ericka Kammerer
September 1st 03, 04:35 PM
Cheryl S. wrote:

> With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried about
> how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
> constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
> position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
> doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or turning
> from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even help
> anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
> mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
> am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
> the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.

I was actually going to mention this to you--I
did find this problematic with this last pregnancy. I
can tell you how things fell out this time around, and
maybe it will be of some use to you.

In late pregnancy, it was murder to roll over in
bed or get in and out of bed, but I was okay walking or
sitting. In labor it was much the same. I could walk
in early labor (until the contractions got more vicious ;-)
After that, I spent much of my labor sitting on the
edge of the bed and rocking a bit. I could have also
sat in a chair. I don't know about a tub, but I imagine
it would have been fine as well. I started getting pushy
while sitting on the edge of the bed and stayed there
a while pushing some, and that was fine too. During
this whole time I considered lying down a few times,
but it was awful. I couldn't lie down at all. Fortunately,
the labor wasn't long.

When pushing was getting more serious, I tried
side-lying for a while and that was a disaster. I
simply could not cope with contractions on top of the
joint pain induced by the uneven pressure on my hips.
The only position I had success with was on all fours.
I imagine something like a birthing stool would have
worked as well, or maybe standing (though I didn't feel
like standing). I think squatting wouldn't have worked
with the joint pain, but I didn't try it. Fortunately,
hands and knees worked relatively well. The joint pain
wasn't too bad in that position and I could focus on
pushing successfully.

Hope this helps,
Ericka

Sue
September 1st 03, 06:04 PM
Well perhaps right now the baby is lying on nerves and joints that is
causing you pain. When you go into labor and the baby descends down, then
perhaps he won't be lying on them anymore to cause the pain. And also,
second labors tend to go faster than first labors just because your body has
been through it. You might not be in labor for very long. I'm sure the
outcome of your labor will be just fine.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Cheryl S. > wrote in message
> With the all-around pelvic joint pain I'm having now, I'm worried about
> how it may affect me during labor. During Julie's birth, I was
> constantly moving - flipping between Bradley side-lying relaxation
> position, all-fours, pacing, sitting, squatting, etc. I can't imagine
> doing any of that right now. Just getting in and out of bed or turning
> from one side to the other is murderous. Baths don't even help
> anymore - though the tubs at the birth center are a lot deeper than
> mine, and one has jacuzzi jets, so maybe they will help. How have
> others with this type of pain dealt with it during a natural labor? I
> am starting to really wonder how I am going to get through this birth
> the way I want to - i.e. intervention- and drug- free.
> --
> Cheryl S.
> Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
> And a boy, EDD 5.Sept
>
> Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
> shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 07:35 PM
Taniwha grrrl > wrote in message
> I also found my wheat bag great
> for heating and holding against sore areas.

How do you make a wheat bag? I need details - I'm inept at
crafty-sewing type stuff. How big is it? How do you heat it?Thanks,
Andrea.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 07:39 PM
Kereru > wrote in message
> I was overweight AND had lots of pelvic and hip pain
> with my son. The big bath in the birthing unit was my
> saviour. Don't compare the bath at home. You can float
> in a bigger bath, it supports your joints and allows much
> better movement. Also I found a hot shower during
> contractions either standing on sitting on a plastic chair
> helped.

Thanks, Judy. It's good to hear that the big tub is so effective.

> The more I stay still the worse my joints get, they
> hurt, I sit down, they hurt more it's a vicious cycle. So I
> reccomend plenty of water and gentle movement.

I think this was part of my problem the past few days, and especially
with DH home for the long weekend, I let him do more and more and stayed
on the couch more and more.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 07:43 PM
Mary > wrote in message
> or because the adrenaline rush and all the labor hormones
> erased it from my consciousness (would help you).

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about those blessed pain-counteracting
hormones. Maybe it will be like Julie's birth and (up until transition
anyway) I'll actually feel *better* once labor starts!

> Certainly, you'll be able to move around MUCH easier in
> a big deep tub than you can now, lugging yourself through
> gravity. Trust your body, trust your body; you've done it before.
>
> I wish I had something more encouraging to say. Come on,
> baby, OUT!

Thanks Mary, it helps a lot just knowing you believe in me.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 07:45 PM
Nikki > wrote in message news:3f517afe_3@newsfeed...
> I had that type of pain for the whole third trimester with
> Hunter. Terrible so I feel for ya! Anyway, I don't recall
> that it caused much of any problem during labor. I moved
> and walked around quite a bit. Baths were great for the
> labor pain. It is possible that I was so distracted by the
> contractions that I didn't notice the other. Hope baby
> comes soon!

This is all very good to hear Nikki, thank you! I'm feeling much more
encouraged that it won't interfere with labor.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 07:56 PM
Tiina Kartovaara > wrote in message
> And there was an unexpected bonus - labor pain was
> nowhere near as intense as the pelvic pain was at its worst.
> At no time was I even tempted to ask for drugs.

Thank you, you've reminded me that labor is entirely different than this
pain, and likely easier for me to cope with. Labor is your body
functioning as it should, not hurting because something's wrong with it,
and contractions come and go, where pain-because-something's-wrong is
constant.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 07:57 PM
Andrea > wrote in message
> I forgot about it once I was in labour!

Yay! I'm very encouraged to hear that. Thanks, Andrea.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 08:05 PM
Ericka Kammerer > wrote in message
> In late pregnancy, it was murder to roll over in
> bed or get in and out of bed, but I was okay walking or
> sitting. In labor it was much the same. I could walk
> in early labor (until the contractions got more vicious ;-)

Changing positions is the worst for me too. Walking was a challenge
yesterday, and I'm not walking normally (even "normal" for a 9-month
pregnant woman ;) today but it's better than yesterday.

> During
> this whole time I considered lying down a few times,
> but it was awful. I couldn't lie down at all. Fortunately,
> the labor wasn't long.

That is part of my concern - not being able to lie down and relax to get
enough rest in case labor drags on.

> When pushing was getting more serious, I tried
> side-lying for a while and that was a disaster. I
> simply could not cope with contractions on top of the
> joint pain induced by the uneven pressure on my hips.
> The only position I had success with was on all fours.
> I imagine something like a birthing stool would have
> worked as well, or maybe standing (though I didn't feel
> like standing). I think squatting wouldn't have worked
> with the joint pain, but I didn't try it. Fortunately,
> hands and knees worked relatively well. The joint pain
> wasn't too bad in that position and I could focus on
> pushing successfully.

They do have a birthing stool, as well as a rocking chair where part of
the seat detaches to allow moms to birth sitting in it, at the birth
center - sounds like those are good ideas to keep in mind. My midwife
had also already mentioned hands-and-knees as a possible delivery
position already, to reduce chances of tearing, because Julie came so
fast, so I'm glad to hear that worked for you. Thanks, Ericka.

Cheryl S.
September 1st 03, 08:06 PM
Sue > wrote in message
> Well perhaps right now the baby is lying on nerves
> and joints that is causing you pain. When you go into
> labor and the baby descends down, then perhaps he
> won't be lying on them anymore to cause the pain. And
> also, second labors tend to go faster than first labors
> just because your body has been through it. You might
> not be in labor for very long. I'm sure the outcome of
> your labor will be just fine.

This is all very encouraging to hear. Thanks Sue! I am feeling a lot
more confident about labor now.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Daye
September 1st 03, 11:10 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:35:49 -0400, "Cheryl S."
> wrote:

>How do you make a wheat bag? I need details - I'm inept at
>crafty-sewing type stuff. How big is it? How do you heat it?Thanks,
>Andrea.

You can make one easily. My mother uses rice rather than wheat, and
this is how she makes hers.

Take an old sock that doesn't have any holes in it. A tube sock is
best -- you know like a knee high, athletic sock. Take some rice
(white rice is what we use) and fill the sock about 3/4 full. Tie a
knot at the end (so the rice can't get out). One rice bag!

To heat, you have 2 choices:

One is to just throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds - 1
minute. If it isn't hot enough, put back in for about 30 seconds.

One is to put it in the microwave with a small bowl of hot water.
Heat for 30 seconds - 1 minute. If it isn't hot enough, put back in
for about 30 seconds.

One will give a dry heat and the other a moist heat. You will need to
decide what kind of heat you need. Be careful on how long you heat
it. My DH heated mine up for me once. I told him 30 seconds - 1
minute. He decided that it wasn't hot enough, and he put it for about
2 1/2 - 3 minutes total. It was too hot to put next to my body
without the heat causing pain.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Cheryl S.
September 2nd 03, 12:29 AM
Daye > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:35:49 -0400, "Cheryl S."
> > wrote:
>
> >How do you make a wheat bag?
>
> Take an old sock that doesn't have any holes in it. A tube
> sock is best -- you know like a knee high, athletic sock.
> Take some rice (white rice is what we use) and fill the sock
> about 3/4 full. Tie a knot at the end (so the rice can't get out).
> One rice bag!

Hey, even I can handle that. Thanks, Daye. Now if I can just find a
sock without holes in it...
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 5.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Chotii
September 2nd 03, 01:23 AM
"Cheryl S." > wrote in message
> Taniwha grrrl > wrote in message
> > I also found my wheat bag great
> > for heating and holding against sore areas.
>
> How do you make a wheat bag? I need details - I'm inept at
> crafty-sewing type stuff. How big is it? How do you heat it?Thanks,

I make them out of old cotton socks, and rubber-band the neck closed. But I
put in dry white rice. A cup or a cup and a half of rice (depending on the
size of the sock) makes a great "rice pack". I microwave for a minute, but
you'd want to experiment with your own microwave and the amount of rice in
your sock. These can be used over many many times before the rice starts to
smell burned. If in doubt, start with a shorter amount of time, and work
upward. They retain heat extremely well and are perfectly moldable.

--angela

Taniwha grrrl
September 2nd 03, 05:18 AM
"Cheryl S." > wrote in message

> > I also found my wheat bag great
> > for heating and holding against sore areas.
>
> How do you make a wheat bag? I need details - I'm inept
at
> crafty-sewing type stuff. How big is it? How do you heat
it?Thanks,

http://www.wheatbags.co.nz/

I only have basic sewing skills but managed to whip my own
one up without sewing over my fingers or anything ;o)
Mine is a long rectangle shape, about .5m long. As I poured
the wheat in I would section it, so it's got 4 segments (or
1/4's) with equal amounts of wheat in it. You don't pack it
too tight, 3/4 fill each segment. You can add lavender heads
to make it smell even yummier too.
Oh and the wheat is wheat GRAINS not wheat stalks...just in
case you weren't clear...lol.
You heat it in the microwave, it holds it's heat well, and
smells divine, like fresh baked bread.
I find them brilliant in labour as they mould so well around
your belly, or anywhere else you need them.