PDA

View Full Version : hot flashes and night sweats questions...

Kylee
September 2nd 03, 10:51 PM
I don't know it anyone has brought this up yet.. but recently .. like in the
last few weeks I have been having really BAD hot flashes and night sweats I
have been trying to do research online but it only discusses menopause,
which I seriously doubt considering I am 26 and in my 25 weeks of pregnancy.
It's getting so bad that I haven't been able to sleep well or get anything
accomplished around the house. I was hoping that maybe someone on here has
had some experience with this. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
!!!

--
Kylee
Due 12/16 Boy

GoofeeGyrl
September 2nd 03, 10:59 PM
<< I was hoping that maybe someone on here has
had some experience with this. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
!!!

--
Kylee
Due 12/16 Boy

For the last couple months, not exactly sure when it started, I get VERY hot
and sweaty (mostly my neck and face) in the evenings, usually around 9pm until
bedtime. I have not slept with any covers on in I don't know how long. I
assumed it was because it's summer and it gets hot here (90s-low 100s) most of
the summer.

Hope somebody can help you more than that!

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due in 5 days!

Kylee
September 2nd 03, 11:09 PM
I was thinking that was all it is as well though I can be sitting on the
couch relaxing in front of the fan doing nothing at all and all the sudden
for no reason at all it will feel as if the temperature in he house has just
risen about 20 degrees and I will sweat profusely for a little while ...
then it will just go away. It's getting really old. I have gotten to the
point of taking around 4 showers a day just to keep cool and it's not
helping near enough. I swear my dh thinks that I am losing my mind.

--
Kylee
12/16 Boy

"Daye" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:51:01 GMT, "Kylee" >
> wrote:
>
> >which I seriously doubt considering I am 26 and in my 25 weeks of
pregnancy.
> >It's getting so bad that I haven't been able to sleep well or get
anything
> >accomplished around the house. I was hoping that maybe someone on here
has
> >had some experience with this. Any and all help would be greatly
appreciated

> Oh, crap... you are still pregnant. Maybe next time, I should read
> the post more carefully.
>
> When I was pregnant with #1, it was the middle of winter and COLD. I
> was HOT all the time. I slept with the window open and a fan on. The
> fan was standing at the window to draw in the air. My poor DH used to
> go to bed with sweat pants, socks and a t-shirt on. He slept with 2
> doonas (think comforters with a cover). I would sleep with a light
> covering over me. It was the only way I could sleep. Otherwise, I
> was hot.
>
> When I mentioned it to my midwife, she said something about it being
> normal. Apparently the body temp of a pregnant woman is higher or
> something.
>
> --
> Daye
> Momma to Jayan
> "Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
> See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

Daye
September 2nd 03, 11:24 PM
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:09:55 GMT, "Kylee" >
wrote:

>I swear my dh thinks that I am losing my mind.

My DH used to complain about how cold he was and did I have to sleep
with the window open? Didn't I know it was winter?

When I finally explained to him how hot I really was and why I was
hot, he stopped and just piled on more blankets.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
"Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

Sophie
September 3rd 03, 03:34 AM
"Kylee" > wrote in message
. ..
> I don't know it anyone has brought this up yet.. but recently .. like in
the
> last few weeks I have been having really BAD hot flashes and night sweats
> have been trying to do research online but it only discusses menopause,
> which I seriously doubt considering I am 26 and in my 25 weeks of
pregnancy.
> It's getting so bad that I haven't been able to sleep well or get anything
> accomplished around the house. I was hoping that maybe someone on here has
> had some experience with this. Any and all help would be greatly
appreciated
> !!!
>
> --
> Kylee
> Due 12/16 Boy

The way I see it is the baby is like a little internal hot water bottle.
I'm boiling hot when pregnant then freezing cold the minute I leave the
hospital (not right after birth, my husband is always frozen in the hospital
room cos I'm still boiling). Really weird but it's happened all 3 times.

annafine
September 3rd 03, 06:59 AM
Kylee,

I am pregnant with my first child, so I'm not real experienced with
this, but I know what you're going through.

i'm in week 33 of my pregnancy and constanly hot. At first I thought
it had a lot to do with the fact that I live in southern Arizona and
the temperatures have been between 95-110 quite regularly for the past
month plus.

However, I have been doing a lot of reading online, magazines and
books and I have found that being pregnant increases one's body
temperature considerably.

I sometimes wake up at night simply because I get too hot...and then I
have to cool off before I'm able to go back to sleep. My best advice
to you is a fan next to your bed and keep the AC turned up...if that's
not possible, the fan should definately help some.

Since my DH doesn't like for us to run the AC too cool at night, I
have found that I sleep much better during the day when we have the AC
set at about 70-72 and the fans are on in the bedroom and I can have
the bed to myself.

As far as trying to get things accomplished around the house, my best
suggestion is do them one thing at a time with frequent breaks in
between. Drink lots of water also...I have found that when I drink
water I don't seem to be as hot while I'm working (maybe it's just me,
but that's what it seems like).

Also, you might want to mention this to your OB and see what he/she
has to say about it.

Recommended book: What to Expect When You're Expecting, by Heidi
Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg & Sandee Hathaway, B.S.N.

It was recommended to me by 3 friends and my OB, so I thought it must
be worth at least looking at. I have found it VERY helpful and worth
taking the time to read as each month approaches. There are sections
in the book that don't exactly pertain to me and my pregnancy, so I
skip or skim over those (I didn't read the section on twins, for
example).

Anna
EDD #1 October 18, 2003 (think it's a girl)...(hoping it is too!)

Ilse Witch
September 3rd 03, 03:04 PM
Kylee wrote:
> I don't know it anyone has brought this up yet.. but recently .. like in the
> last few weeks I have been having really BAD hot flashes and night sweats I
> have been trying to do research online but it only discusses menopause,
> which I seriously doubt considering I am 26 and in my 25 weeks of pregnancy.

I recall having this, it seems to be a normal part of pregancy. DH was
always freezing his butt off in the night while I was sleeping in just
my shirt and a thin blanket... Hot flashes are caused by hormonal imbalances,
and pregnancy is just one BIG imbalance.

If you notice other peculiar signs, like palpatations, or rapid heart
beat, a slight tremor in your hands and your weight gain doesn't keep
up, then you may have an overactive thyroid, which can be easily diagnozed
with a blood test. For the time being however, it sounds like normal
pregnancy stuff.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (13m)