PDA

View Full Version : Re: tingling in fingers

Tiina Kartovaara
September 3rd 03, 06:11 PM
Valerie Rake wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a 28-week appointment yesterday and was flabbergasted enough to
> hear that I had "failed" the 3-hour GTT and no one had bothered to call
> about it, that I forgot to ask my other question.
>
> Anyway, even before I got pregnant I would occasionally experience some
> tingling in my hands--outer palms and the pinky and ring finger--when I
> would sleep "wrong." Since being pregnant, this has happened more
> frequently, and especially more in the last month or so, since the bump
> has become more unwealdy in bed. Since I do a lot of computer work and
> sewing and quilt, I'm concerned about carpal tunnel syndrome. 1) does
> this tingling sound like carpal tunnel? 2) does pregnancy exacerbate
> carpal tunnel syndome?

I've read that it does, because the carpal tunnel in the wrist (like
most everything else!) can become swollen in pregnancy. I had the same
symptoms with pg #1 but not this time, since I haven't experienced *any*
swelling this time around. It never got really bad though - I hope the
same will be true with you!

Take care,

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,4
EDD Sept.15

> Thanks,
> Valerie

Smiles
September 3rd 03, 07:56 PM
Hi Valerie,

Yes - it sounds exactly like carpal tunnel. And yes - it's normal :)

I've had a huge problem with it this pregnancy - starting around the 26th
week or so (this showing up at 26 weeks is another "normal" thing, I guess
:). I play piano, am a computer programmer (although I don't work anymore,
I still do a lot of work on the computer), and I love to sew. All things
that require a lot of use of the hands. I read that getting carpal tunnel
while pregnant is completely normal - and even more so if you do a lot of
repetetive motions with your hands. The good news is that is usually goes
away after delivery. I read that it's caused by all the extra fluid
floating around in your body - the fluid settles in your joints and puts
pressure on them...which for some reason seems to be more noticeable in your
wrists.

Funny, I never had a problem with it during baby #1... It's really annoying
because I can "barely" feel my hands at all times and keep dropping things
because of it. That's one ache I'll be ready to get rid of once this baby
is born. Hopefully yours won't last the rest of your pregnancy!

Take care,
Michelle

Tommy, born May 21, 2002
#2, EDD 9-12-03

"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I had a 28-week appointment yesterday and was flabbergasted enough to
> hear that I had "failed" the 3-hour GTT and no one had bothered to call
> about it, that I forgot to ask my other question.
>
> Anyway, even before I got pregnant I would occasionally experience some
> tingling in my hands--outer palms and the pinky and ring finger--when I
> would sleep "wrong." Since being pregnant, this has happened more
> frequently, and especially more in the last month or so, since the bump
> has become more unwealdy in bed. Since I do a lot of computer work and
> sewing and quilt, I'm concerned about carpal tunnel syndrome. 1) does
> this tingling sound like carpal tunnel? 2) does pregnancy exacerbate
> carpal tunnel syndome?
>
> Thanks,
> Valerie

Em
September 3rd 03, 08:37 PM
"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message
> I had a 28-week appointment yesterday and was flabbergasted enough to
> hear that I had "failed" the 3-hour GTT and no one had bothered to call
> about it, that I forgot to ask my other question.

That is highly annoying! I would have assumed no news was good news and so
would have been very shocked to have the "failure" dumped on me at the next
appointment. When I had the 1-hour, they gave me the results right then. You
would think a call about the 3-hour would have been in order.

> Anyway, even before I got pregnant I would occasionally experience some
> tingling in my hands--outer palms and the pinky and ring finger--when I
> would sleep "wrong." Since being pregnant, this has happened more
> frequently, and especially more in the last month or so, since the bump
> has become more unwealdy in bed. Since I do a lot of computer work and
> sewing and quilt, I'm concerned about carpal tunnel syndrome. 1) does
> this tingling sound like carpal tunnel? 2) does pregnancy exacerbate
> carpal tunnel syndome?

I have read in multiple places that pregnancy can exacerbate carpal tunnel,
so that might be what is going on. Do you have the tingling at other times?
Like when you are working on the computer or sewing? I ask, because for a
few weeks I was waking up each morning with both of my hands feeling like
they were asleep and kind of tingly. I didn't have any trouble with it at
any other time and surmised that I must have just been sleeping "wrong" and
pinching off a nerve by the way I was lying on my shoulder on my side or
something. I haven't had it happen for about a month now. If you don't have
trouble any other time, I wonder if it is just that you are changing
positions so much less than usual that something is getting pinched during
the night and causing the tingling.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

The Huwe Family
September 3rd 03, 09:18 PM
I went to my doctor with the same type of question, and he matter of factly
told me that I had carpel tunnel - and yes that it was very common. I was
shocked because I had never heard of such a thing. If you just have the
tingly fingers, you're one of the lucky ones. Mine started off as shooting
pains going from my wrists up my thumbs. I couldn't even pick up my purse,
and even had trouble putting on/taking off pants (quite a problem when you
REALLY HAVE TO GO) and even hooking & unhooking my bra (because of how you
have to twist your wrists around.) My DH got pretty good about using the
hooks. The doc suggested that I sleep with carpel tunnel braces at night in
order to keep my hands open. I ended up wearing them all day long because
it kept my wrists pretty much immobile. Although it was a pain in the neck
when I tried to do computer work and crafts for the babies.

Now, the pain is pretty much gone. Instead I have numb/tingly finger tips
all of the time. Most times I can't feel anything because of it and have
trouble picking up small items. It saddens me since I have always loved
doing cross-stitch and crocheting for friends when they were pregnant, and
now, I have a problem doing it for my own children.

The good news is, the doctor says it usually goes away after birth.
Sometimes it lingers on for a while, but in most cases it's gone in a month
or so.

Sorry to hear about the GTT.

Gayle

"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I had a 28-week appointment yesterday and was flabbergasted enough to
> hear that I had "failed" the 3-hour GTT and no one had bothered to call
> about it, that I forgot to ask my other question.
>
> Anyway, even before I got pregnant I would occasionally experience some
> tingling in my hands--outer palms and the pinky and ring finger--when I
> would sleep "wrong." Since being pregnant, this has happened more
> frequently, and especially more in the last month or so, since the bump
> has become more unwealdy in bed. Since I do a lot of computer work and
> sewing and quilt, I'm concerned about carpal tunnel syndrome. 1) does
> this tingling sound like carpal tunnel? 2) does pregnancy exacerbate
> carpal tunnel syndome?
>
> Thanks,
> Valerie

Kereru
September 3rd 03, 09:47 PM
"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I had a 28-week appointment yesterday and was flabbergasted enough to
> hear that I had "failed" the 3-hour GTT and no one had bothered to call
> about it, that I forgot to ask my other question.
>
> Anyway, even before I got pregnant I would occasionally experience some
> tingling in my hands--outer palms and the pinky and ring finger--when I
> would sleep "wrong." Since being pregnant, this has happened more
> frequently, and especially more in the last month or so, since the bump
> has become more unwealdy in bed. Since I do a lot of computer work and
> sewing and quilt, I'm concerned about carpal tunnel syndrome. 1) does
> this tingling sound like carpal tunnel? 2) does pregnancy exacerbate
> carpal tunnel syndome?
>
> Thanks,
> Valerie

Pregnancy does exacerbate carpal tunnel and what you have does sound like
it. It went away completely after I had the baby (well after the swelling
wnet down anyway).

Judy

Nikki Lowson
September 6th 03, 11:28 AM
"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message
Since I do a lot of computer work and
> sewing and quilt, I'm concerned about carpal tunnel syndrome. 1) does
> this tingling sound like carpal tunnel? 2) does pregnancy exacerbate
> carpal tunnel syndome?
>
> Thanks,
> Valerie

I experienced this in my left hand (i am left handed) during my pregnancy,
doc said it was carpal tunnel syndrome with me, good news is that it went
away along with the swollen feet ec after i had my little girl. :-)

take care

Nikki (mum to Teagan born 3rd of Aug 2003)