PDA

View Full Version : Re: childbirth insurance

September 5th 03, 09:38 PM
What state does she live in? My state has an insurance program for pregnant women who meet certain
income criteria. It's much more generous than the income criteria for non-pregnant women.

"1qa2ws" > thought everything was going well until Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:27:19
-0500, when "1qa2ws" > had this to say about foul mouthed granny Linda
Channels misc.kids.pregnancy :

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for some insurance, which will pay for childbirth, for woman,
>who is pregnant at this moment and she doesn't have any helth insurance.
>
>Daniel

1qa2ws
September 5th 03, 09:40 PM
I'm an international student and she (my wife) now is in our country. She
will go to me in some months. I'm in St. Louis, Missouri.

Daniel

> What state does she live in? My state has an insurance program for
pregnant women who meet certain
> income criteria. It's much more generous than the income criteria for
non-pregnant women.

> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm looking for some insurance, which will pay for childbirth, for woman,
> >who is pregnant at this moment and she doesn't have any helth insurance.
> >
> >Daniel

September 5th 03, 10:12 PM
"1qa2ws" > thought everything was going well until Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:40:57
-0500, when "1qa2ws" > had this to say about foul mouthed granny Linda
Channell misc.kids.pregnancy :

Date: Nov. 21, 1997

To qualify for Medicaid for Pregnant Women, a woman must apply for a social security number, provide
proof of pregnancy, live in Missouri and intend to remain, be a United States citizen or legal alien
with permanent resident status, and be under the family income limits

Family
Size Income Limit

2 1598

3 2002

4 2405

5 2809

6 3213

Once a woman is eligible, she is covered throughout her pregnancy and for sixty-days past the
delivery. The child can continue to be covered throughout the first year of life if certain
guidelines are met.

There are several other resources available besides Medicaid. Women may receive vouchers to purchase
a monthly food package that is designed to supplement their diets through the Special Supplemental
Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). Foods that are provided include milk,
cheese, infant formula, iron-fortified cereal, and eggs. WIC also provides nutrition education and
guidance, breastfeeding education, and referrals for health care.

1qa2ws
September 6th 03, 04:54 AM
> To qualify for Medicaid for Pregnant Women, a woman must apply for a
social security number,
My wife will not have social security number (I think, because she has F-2
visa - not permit to work),

> provide proof of pregnancy, live in Missouri and intend to remain, be a
United States citizen or legal alien
> with permanent resident status,
We are not US citizen and we have not permanent resident status

> and be under the family income limits
>
> Family
> Size Income Limit
>
> 2 1598
>
> 3 2002
>
> 4 2405
>
> 5 2809
>
> 6 3213
That amount are per month or per year?

Daniel

1qa2ws
September 6th 03, 04:56 AM
I've health insurance in my school. I've asked them about that, but everything would be OK, if:
- first I'd bought the health insurance for my wife
- next the conception would occure.

Daniel
"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message ...
Have you checked with your school? If you have student health insurance available, you can probably also get family coverage which will cover you, her, and the babe. Depending on the school, it might be a bit expensive, but it's an option worth looking into.

Valerie

1qa2ws wrote:

I'm an international student and she (my wife) now is in our country. Shewill go to me in some months. I'm in St. Louis, Missouri.DanielWhat state does she live in? My state has an insurance program forpregnant women who meet certainincome criteria. It's much more generous than the income criteria fornon-pregnant women.Hi,I'm looking for some insurance, which will pay for childbirth, for woman,who is pregnant at this moment and she doesn't have any helth insurance.Daniel

September 6th 03, 05:07 AM
"1qa2ws" > thought everything was going well until Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:54:39
-0500, when "1qa2ws" > had this to say about foul mouthed granny Linda
Channell misc.kids.pregnancy :

>> To qualify for Medicaid for Pregnant Women, a woman must apply for a
>social security number,
>My wife will not have social security number (I think, because she has F-2
>visa - not permit to work),
>
>> provide proof of pregnancy, live in Missouri and intend to remain, be a
>United States citizen or legal alien
>> with permanent resident status,
>We are not US citizen and we have not permanent resident status
>
>> and be under the family income limits
>>
>> Family
>> Size Income Limit
>>
>> 2 1598
>>
>> 3 2002
>>
>> 4 2405
>>
>> 5 2809
>>
>> 6 3213
>That amount are per month or per year?
>
>Daniel

Per month.. you have to be poor to get it. Can she get medical care in her home country?

1qa2ws
September 6th 03, 02:14 PM
> Per month.. you have to be poor to get it. Can she get medical care in
her home country?

I have only $1300/month income. She doesn't work. Of course she can get
medical care in her home country... But I'd like to be with her at the
childbirth... I can't go to my home country, because I have to work...

Daniel

Naomi Pardue
September 6th 03, 04:57 PM
>I'm looking for some insurance, which will pay for childbirth, for woman,
>who is pregnant at this moment and she doesn't have any helth insurance.

You've gotten some helpful replies already. I just wanted to explain that there
are not going to be many private health insurance plans that will provide this
kind of coverage, simply because such a plan would not make sense financially
for the company. (The whole point behind insurance -- for the company that
sells it, is that they assume that most people will pay more money INTO the
plan than they end up getting back -- which allows the insurance company to
make a profit. But if a woman is already pregnant, they'd have to charge her
so much for the premiums that it wouldn't be worth it for the woman to even buy
the plan!)

If you cannot find an insurance plan, you may want to look into midwife
care/home birth, if your wife is healthy and having a normal pregnancy. Those
are usually much cheaper than a hospital birth. If that is not possible, you
need to talk to the doctor/hospital as soon as possible to find out exactly
what prenatal care and the birth will cost, and arrange for a workable payment
plan.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Valerie Rake
September 7th 03, 08:08 PM
Ah. That's a bummer. This is exactly the situation Naomi mentions in
her post. If a person is already in a position to need medical care,
insurance companies will do everything to they can to refuse coverage
since they won't make a profit.

Valerie