PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Exercise DVD's or Videos??

JNJ
September 6th 03, 08:36 AM
try www.walmart.com they have several pregnancy workout tapes. You may
also want to check out your local walmart or target. Hope I was of some
help.

Julie

Carol Ann > wrote in message
> There is not one place here that offers Yoga or exercise classes for
> pregnancy.
>
> Which tapes or dvds have you found to be the best???
>
> I'm not in shape at all. I walk a mile at least 3 times a week (try for
> once a day, but you know how THAT goes).
>
> ~Carol Ann
> www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

JNJ
September 6th 03, 12:23 PM
Whats right for someone else may not be right for you. You could go to a
Blockbuster or a hollywood video place. Rent one or two so you can see what
you like. Often times they will have the same vhs/dvds for sale.
Carol Ann > wrote in message
> :: try www.walmart.com they have several pregnancy workout tapes. You
may
> :: also want to check out your local walmart or target. Hope I was of
some
> :: help.
>
> I was hoping to hear personal preferences on the tapes. I can get them
via
> eBay or Amazon, too. I just thought the personal perspective might help
me
> decide which ones to choose.
>
> ~Carol Ann
> www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Carol Ann
September 6th 03, 03:43 PM
There is not one place here that offers Yoga or exercise classes for
pregnancy.

Which tapes or dvds have you found to be the best???

I'm not in shape at all. I walk a mile at least 3 times a week (try for
once a day, but you know how THAT goes).

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Dagny
September 6th 03, 05:23 PM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> There is not one place here that offers Yoga or exercise classes for
> pregnancy.

Actually Atlanta has a lot of pregnancy exercise and yoga options that I am
generally aware of although I never considered trying to go -- so don't ask
for a review.

See, e.g., www.fitfor2.com (which lists gyms in Atlanta hosting its classes)
and the fitness class schedule at http://www.atlantajcc.org/. One of my
friends also raved about her pregnancy yoga class that took place at the
Frazer Center (but I don't think is an official Frazer Center program).

-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Carol Ann
September 7th 03, 12:01 AM
:: try www.walmart.com they have several pregnancy workout tapes. You may
:: also want to check out your local walmart or target. Hope I was of some
:: help.

I was hoping to hear personal preferences on the tapes. I can get them via
eBay or Amazon, too. I just thought the personal perspective might help me
decide which ones to choose.

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Robin
September 7th 03, 01:24 AM
In article <iHt6b.376842$Ho3.56730@sccrnsc03>,
says...
> I was hoping to hear personal preferences on the tapes. I can get them via
> eBay or Amazon, too. I just thought the personal perspective might help me
> decide which ones to choose.

I like "Pilates for Pregnancy". The reviews on Amazon are about 50/50,
half love it, the other half just complain about the exercises performed
on your back.

My OB is fine with me being on my back as long as I'm comfortable and it
hasn't been a problem (I'm 37 weeks.) I notice that the instructor
intersperses lying down and sitting up exercises much more than my
regular pilates tape--I'm fairly sure she does it on purpose so you
don't stay on your back very long.

--
Robin

(Trying out a new email system. This address *does* (well, "should")
work.)

Carol Ann
September 7th 03, 05:00 AM
::: I was hoping to hear personal preferences on the tapes. I can get them
via
::: eBay or Amazon, too. I just thought the personal perspective might help
me
::: decide which ones to choose.
:::
:: I like "Pilates for Pregnancy". The reviews on Amazon are about 50/50,
:: half love it, the other half just complain about the exercises performed
:: on your back.
::
:: My OB is fine with me being on my back as long as I'm comfortable and it
:: hasn't been a problem (I'm 37 weeks.) I notice that the instructor
:: intersperses lying down and sitting up exercises much more than my
:: regular pilates tape--I'm fairly sure she does it on purpose so you
:: don't stay on your back very long.

Thank you, Robin. This is what I was looking for.

Have you tried any of the Yoga Pregnancy videos?

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Robin
September 7th 03, 01:07 PM
In article <T3y6b.381160$uu5.71891@sccrnsc04>,
says...
> Have you tried any of the Yoga Pregnancy videos?

Nope. I took a local prenatal yoga class and it really wasn't my style,
so I never tried a video.

--
Robin

(Trying out a new email system. This address *does* (well, "should")
work.)

Em
September 9th 03, 04:36 AM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> There is not one place here that offers Yoga or exercise classes for
> pregnancy.
>
> Which tapes or dvds have you found to be the best???

Early in my pregnancy, I borrowed a copy of Gaiam's Prenatal Yoga video with
Shiva Rea and found it useful. (http://tinyurl.com/mos9)

Since I had already been maintaining a daily yoga practice for two years
prior, I didn't feel the need to continue practicing with the video--I took
out the elements that I liked and incorporated them into the daily practice
I had already established (I kept some of my regular poses, modified some
based on the tape, and replaced some of my old poses with poses from the
tape).

The tape has three women practicing simultaneously (one in each trimester),
so that you can see what is appropriate based on your stage of pregnancy. I
liked that for the mechanics, but I found that it made the tape a little
less "peaceful" to watch or something, compared to other Gaiam/Living Arts
yoga videos. When not pregnant, my favorite yoga tape was AM Yoga with
Rodney Yee. I still use pieces of that tape in my morning practice.

Good luck finding a tape that you like! I really value my morning yoga
practice. Oh, you also might want to check at your library for yoga videos
to "preview." My local library has one prenatal yoga video and my other
library has several.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Em
September 9th 03, 11:06 PM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message

> :: Good luck finding a tape that you like! I really value my morning yoga
> :: practice. Oh, you also might want to check at your library for yoga
> videos
> :: to "preview." My local library has one prenatal yoga video and my other
> :: library has several.
> ::
> :: --
> :: Em
> :: edd 9/23/03
> :: (37w6d)
>
> Thank you, Em. I really must do something to strengthen my body and burn
> few calories. I can see this is going to be a tough battle.
>
> I must stop eating so much no sugar added ice cream and break myself of
the
> low carb - full fat mentality. I am eating more carbs (obviously) so I
have
> to stop with the full fat cream cheese, cheese, butter....

Yoga has been great for keeping me toned (I think). For example, I can still
suck in my stomach even at 38 weeks pregnant--it is kind of a freaky trick
actually. I can go from looking 38 weeks pregnant, to looking more like
20-something weeks along. I don't do it much, because I don't like squeezing
the baby like that, but it is fun trick to show people ;-) It helps that I
had maintained a daily yoga routine for two years prior to becoming pregnant
also--I didn't have to muster motivation to start something new during
pregnancy. I have also found walking daily to be good exercise, so you might
want to add additional walking days into your schedule as well (especially
now that the weather is cooling off).

Good luck!

--
Em