PDA

View Full Version : Failed my PPD test

Taniwha grrrl
September 8th 03, 12:09 AM
I took part in some research recently for a study that's
been done on developing a scale for testing for PPD in New
Zealand womyn. You didn't have to be depressed to take part,
in fact they preferred you weren't, but had to have a baby
between 2 weeks and 12 weeks.
So the researcher came to my place and did an interview,
plus I had to take two different type's of
questionnaire/scales. One was the Edinburgh Postnatal
Depression scale (EPDS) and I'm not sure what the other one
was called but it was labelled PDSS.
I have to have one more follow up interview with a clinical
psychologist who sees if the replies on my first interview
and scales match her clinical opinion.
Anyway I received the results a few days ago and to my
surprise I failed! I don't feel depressed and was really
surprised I scored so badly..lol
I scored 12 on the EPDS, score for depression is 12 and over
so I'm borderline on that one.
And I scored 84 on the other test, a score for minor
depression is over 60.
My letter said this was not diagnostic of depression but
suggestive that I might be vulnerable, especially in the
'emotional' categories and 'confused thought process' (i.e.
anxiety) categories.
So now I'm not sure what to do, go and see someone now while
I feel well or just carry on and see 'if' I do get
depression and only do something about it then.

Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Phoebe & Allyson
September 8th 03, 03:24 AM
Taniwha grrrl wrote:

> I scored 12 on the EPDS, score for depression is 12 and over
> so I'm borderline on that one.

Having found it on the 'net just this minute, I got an 11.
(Caterpillar is 14 weeks, but I don't think my emotional
stability has changed in the last 3 or 4 weeks.) I don't
feel depressed, but I'm definitely not coping as well as I
used to.

Phoebe :)

Amy M.
September 8th 03, 04:37 AM
>From: Phoebe & Allyson

>Having found it on the 'net just this minute, I got an 11.

Can you provide a link to the site? I would like to see what my score is. I
don't feel the slightest bit depressed.
--
Amy~
Tre' (6/92)

bimbette
September 8th 03, 12:06 PM
Huzzah! I failed as well.

bimbette

"Taniwha grrrl" > wrote in message
> I took part in some research recently for a study that's
> been done on developing a scale for testing for PPD in New
> Zealand womyn. You didn't have to be depressed to take part,
> in fact they preferred you weren't, but had to have a baby
> between 2 weeks and 12 weeks.
> So the researcher came to my place and did an interview,
> plus I had to take two different type's of
> questionnaire/scales. One was the Edinburgh Postnatal
> Depression scale (EPDS) and I'm not sure what the other one
> was called but it was labelled PDSS.
> I have to have one more follow up interview with a clinical
> psychologist who sees if the replies on my first interview
> and scales match her clinical opinion.
> Anyway I received the results a few days ago and to my
> surprise I failed! I don't feel depressed and was really
> surprised I scored so badly..lol
> I scored 12 on the EPDS, score for depression is 12 and over
> so I'm borderline on that one.
> And I scored 84 on the other test, a score for minor
> depression is over 60.
> My letter said this was not diagnostic of depression but
> suggestive that I might be vulnerable, especially in the
> 'emotional' categories and 'confused thought process' (i.e.
> anxiety) categories.
> So now I'm not sure what to do, go and see someone now while
> I feel well or just carry on and see 'if' I do get
> depression and only do something about it then.
>
> Andrea
>
> If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
> horrible warning.

Corrine
September 8th 03, 12:57 PM
I like this test allot better than the Edinburgh.

http://www.pndsa.co.za/ms-fc.htm

Corrine
(who has provided counselling to women with PPD for about 3 years now)

--
Corrine Mahar-Sylvestre
Quinte Doula Service

"Taniwha grrrl" > wrote in message
> I took part in some research recently for a study that's
> been done on developing a scale for testing for PPD in New
> Zealand womyn. You didn't have to be depressed to take part,
> in fact they preferred you weren't, but had to have a baby
> between 2 weeks and 12 weeks.
> So the researcher came to my place and did an interview,
> plus I had to take two different type's of
> questionnaire/scales. One was the Edinburgh Postnatal
> Depression scale (EPDS) and I'm not sure what the other one
> was called but it was labelled PDSS.
> I have to have one more follow up interview with a clinical
> psychologist who sees if the replies on my first interview
> and scales match her clinical opinion.
> Anyway I received the results a few days ago and to my
> surprise I failed! I don't feel depressed and was really
> surprised I scored so badly..lol
> I scored 12 on the EPDS, score for depression is 12 and over
> so I'm borderline on that one.
> And I scored 84 on the other test, a score for minor
> depression is over 60.
> My letter said this was not diagnostic of depression but
> suggestive that I might be vulnerable, especially in the
> 'emotional' categories and 'confused thought process' (i.e.
> anxiety) categories.
> So now I'm not sure what to do, go and see someone now while
> I feel well or just carry on and see 'if' I do get
> depression and only do something about it then.
>
> Andrea
>
> If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
> horrible warning.

Karen
September 8th 03, 02:09 PM
Taniwha grrrl wrote:

> anxiety) categories.
> So now I'm not sure what to do, go and see someone now while
> I feel well or just carry on and see 'if' I do get
> depression and only do something about it then.

If it's not effecting your life enought that you and your family didn't
even notice something 'off' I would practice expectant management :-)
You are aware this is/may be a problem, I'm assuming your husband is
aware
and you can be attentive to more troubling symptoms if they arise. If
you already
have a health care professional you trust and who knows something about
PPD then I see no
harm in a chat but I certainly wouldn't be thinking about meds at this
point.

here's a funny for you: I'm obviously not thinking about postpartum yet.
When I saw your header I thought:
"OH CRAP! Poor Andrea has RA and now she has to deal with TB." Thinking
you had a PPD skin test for tuberculosis.

Talk about a duh! moment.

Karen

Anne Rogers
September 8th 03, 02:42 PM
> >I like this test allot better than the Edinburgh.
> >
> >http://www.pndsa.co.za/ms-fc.htm
> >

> I guess I'm adjusting pretty well. I scored a 4.

I tried this one and scored 63, yikes, but I guess a normal me would
probably score 20ish. For reference purposes I scored 18 on the Edinburgh
scale about 8 weeks ago, I think a retest would be similar, though
qualitatively I feel I am loads better.