PDA

View Full Version : 39 weeks & SICK--assorted questions

Kathy
September 8th 03, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone--

I'm 39 weeks today (first baby) and have a few assorted questions I hope
you can help me with...

#1...Has anyone ever had acute bronchitis this late in pregnancy? I
have been sick with a terrible cough for almost 1 month now. My OB had
me on Keflex and Robitussin A-C, which did absolutely nothing for me.
Last week at my regular appointment with her she sent me to the
emergency room as she could hear wheezing in my chest and I was still
feeling horrible, coughing up lots of green stuff (sorry to be graphic).

The ER doctor also heard wheezing in my chest and was unhappy with the
number I could blow on this little gadget to test my lung capacity
(sorry, can't remember the name of it) so I had 2 chest xrays, one 15
minute breathing treatment and took 3 Prednisone. After that he
listened again, was still unhappy and gave me a 1 hour long breathing
treatment which was 6 times the strength of the first.

After that he was happy with the improvement I had made (numbers were
way better on the little gadget thingy) so he sent me home with a 10 day
supply of Biaxin, 4 days worth of Prednisone and 2 Albuterol inhalers.

As of today I feel I have improved, but still feel sick...coughing a
lot, with a very irritated windpipe and just a general run down feeling.

My question I guess is, have any of you taken these medications this
late in pregnancy? It made me sick to take all of this stuff...I've
been avoiding taking anything (even tylenol) throughout this whole
pregnancy...and now all of a sudden at the end I had to take all of this
medication. It's really worrying me. I cried when I heard I had to
have the xray...I was scared to death and kept confirming with everyone
that it would be okay. Believe me, I checked, checked and rechecked
with the ER doc and anyone at the hospital that would listen to see if
all of this stuff was safe...but I still feel worried and have a
terrible feeling that this has hurt my baby.

In addition, 2 days after my ER visit my OB finally returned our call
and stated that she would rather have me switch from Biaxin to
Zithromax. She feels that Zithromax is a little safer. At this point I
still haven't switched, as I just couldn't see putting yet ANOTHER
medication into my system...I had already taken the Biaxin for a couple
of days and wanted to let it have a chance to work. (I also called the
ER again and confirmed that Biaxin was safe for me, as well as did a lot
of internet searching).

The reason I went to the ER in the first place is because my OB told me
to...she said she wasn't qualified to treat whatever was wrong with me
(after wasting my time with Keflex, giving me the impression that she
WAS qualified to treat me). Before going to the ER I asked her if the
docs there would know what was safe for me and the baby at this point in
pregnancy...she said they should. Now she wants me to switch...should I
switch or not? Do I trust her to know what's best after she point blank
told me she was unqualified, or do I go with the ER doc who seemed very
qualified, compitent and knowledgable. (He was very nice on the phone
when we called to ask about the Zithromax...he said that if she wanted
to switch then we can switch...but that the Biaxin is what the hospital
recommends and is safe).

Any insight or reassurance is greatly welcome on this.

#2...I know this is probably different for everyone, but how much
movement should I or should I not be feeling at 39 weeks? I am feeling
some movement, but it's mostly just a little squirm now and then, way up
high by my ribs.

Again, I'm worried what all of this medication might be doing to the
baby. Am I being paranoid by thinking I'm feeling less (I know you
can't really answer that)...or is less movement normal at this stage?

#3...Heartburn...I've had AWFUL heartburn for the past few days. I wake
up with acid in my throat and nose in the middle of the night, I drink a
glass of water and I get it, this morning my corn flakes gave me
heartburn. Any suggestions on what to do for this...especially at night
as it keeps me up.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Kathy

Circe
September 8th 03, 07:49 PM
"Kathy" > wrote in message
> After that he was happy with the improvement I had made (numbers were
> way better on the little gadget thingy) so he sent me home with a 10 day
> supply of Biaxin, 4 days worth of Prednisone and 2 Albuterol inhalers.

I can't tell you about Biaxin and pregnancy (Zithromax is an older drug with
a longer track record, so it doesn't surprise me that your doctor is
suggesting you switch to it and, to be honest, I don't believe switching
would be a bad idea), but as an asthmatic, let me assure you that a short
course of steroid (prednisone) and albuterol are both perfectly safe during
pregnancy. Keep in mind that if you can't breathe, your baby can't breathe,
either. Your baby's health is much more protected by treating a problem that
could potentially result in him/her getting inadequate oxygenization than it
is threatened by a relatively short exposure to these medications.

> My question I guess is, have any of you taken these medications this
> late in pregnancy?

I took albuterol and inhaled steroids throughout most of all three
pregnancies. No problems.

> #2...I know this is probably different for everyone, but how much
> movement should I or should I not be feeling at 39 weeks? I am feeling
> some movement, but it's mostly just a little squirm now and then, way up
> high by my ribs.

Pretty normal. There's not much room in there any more, so your baby's
ability to move is reduced.

> #3...Heartburn...I've had AWFUL heartburn for the past few days. I wake
> up with acid in my throat and nose in the middle of the night, I drink a
> glass of water and I get it, this morning my corn flakes gave me
> heartburn. Any suggestions on what to do for this...especially at night
> as it keeps me up.

Again, normal. And the good news is that this symptom will disappear almost
immediately upon giving birth. I found that late in pregnancy, I was most
comfortable if I ate my first meal around 10am rather than right upon
getting up. For some reason, waiting longer to eat produced more space in my
stomach which in turn produced less reflux/heartburn. And that effect lasted
all the way into the evening. I also found that chewing papaya enzyme
tablets helped--it didn't really decrease my heartburn but it made it less
unpleasant somehow.

Good luck and HTH. You're in the home stretch now!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- sign in hotel parking lot

Laurie
September 8th 03, 07:51 PM
Kathy wrote in message

Hi everyone--

I'm 39 weeks today (first baby) and have a few assorted questions I hope
you can help me with...

Hi Kathy,

Regarding your prescriptions, I'll tell you what i know. Biaxin is
pregnancy category C (animal studies show adverse effects but no adequate
studies done in humans, benefits from the use of the driug in pregnancy may
be acceptable) and Zithromax is category B (adequate studies not done in
humans or have not shown a risk), so Zithromax *is* a little bit safer.
Biaxin is generally a more potent antibiotic though. If you do switch to
the Zithromax, make sure to take it on an empty stomach and don't take it
with maalox or it won't be as effective. I think your OB probably felt like
she was qualified to treat your symptoms at first when it was no big deal,
but now that it's shown resistance (another reason to put you on the
stronger antibiotic), she feels an ER doc may be more qualified. Do you have
a general practicioner instead of having to mess around with the ER?

If it were me, I think I would choose to go with the Zithromax.

As far as the xray is concerned, the amount of radiation received in one or
two xrays WON'T be harmful. Don't worry about it. It sounds like the risks
of the xrays were justified in your situation.

I'd be annoyed about your OB taking two days to call me back, wow.

The heartburn is most likely from the prednisone, or possibly the biaxin.
Tums do help and are safe.

Good luck, I'm sure the baby is fine, I'm sorry you're feeling so terrible!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

#3...Heartburn...I've had AWFUL heartburn for the past few days. I wake
up with acid in my throat and nose in the middle of the night, I drink a
glass of water and I get it, this morning my corn flakes gave me
heartburn. Any suggestions on what to do for this...especially at night
as it keeps me up.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Kathy

Sophie
September 8th 03, 07:52 PM
I can only help with these parts.

> #2...I know this is probably different for everyone, but how much
> movement should I or should I not be feeling at 39 weeks? I am feeling
> some movement, but it's mostly just a little squirm now and then, way up
> high by my ribs.

The movement was more painful. It was as often, just different. More
rolling movement, rather than a kick or a jab.

> #3...Heartburn...I've had AWFUL heartburn for the past few days. I wake
> up with acid in my throat and nose in the middle of the night, I drink a
> glass of water and I get it, this morning my corn flakes gave me
> heartburn. Any suggestions on what to do for this...especially at night
> as it keeps me up.
>
> Thank you everyone in advance for your help.
>
> Kathy

Well water gave me heartburn - lol. Totally normal, you have less room for
the food to move down. I took Mylanta, something liquid rather than tablets
(like Tums).

HTH :)

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Daye
September 9th 03, 01:18 AM
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:51:21 GMT, "Laurie" >
wrote:

>As far as the xray is concerned, the amount of radiation received in one or
>two xrays WON'T be harmful. Don't worry about it. It sounds like the risks
>of the xrays were justified in your situation.

This reminded me that women used to get xrays before ultrasounds. My
mother had an xray with both me and my sister. My MIL still has the
film of my DH's xray.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan