PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

JNJ
September 9th 03, 03:21 AM
Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was going off of
bc and we were just going to let nature take its course. Well, end of july
I had my last period. August came and went with no period, but I had, and
still have, pains every so often that seems like it could come any time. I
took a home test and it came out positive. I have to go to my obgyn to get
the blood test to confirm. I have an appointment for the 22. Basically I
want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get pregnant
so fast after coming off of BC?

Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two and a
half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at Denneys.
Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?

Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned about
changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home test
came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely am
pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.

Well, let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Julie

JNJ
September 9th 03, 04:19 AM
Thanks! I really needed to hear that! :)

Julie
Ilse Witch > wrote in message
> JNJ wrote:
> > Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was going
off of
> > bc and we were just going to let nature take its course. Well, end of
july
> > I had my last period. August came and went with no period, but I had,
and
> > still have, pains every so often that seems like it could come any time.
> > took a home test and it came out positive. I have to go to my obgyn to
get
> > the blood test to confirm. I have an appointment for the 22. Basically
> > want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get
pregnant
> > so fast after coming off of BC?
>
> Congrats Julie!!
>
> I got pg with DS within a month of stopping BCP, and was told on several
> occasions that it's not an issue for the baby. The advice to wait a few
> months is usually for the mother to get back into normal cycles, which
> can sometimes take a while. You're just very lucky, it seems.
>
> > Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
> > together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two
and a
> > half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at
Denneys.
> > Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?
>
> Personally: no, I don't think so, and I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> > Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned
about
> > changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home
test
> > came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely
am
> > pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.
>
> Cat litter carries listeriosis, which can cause brain damage in the
> unborn child. However, if you have had cats for a long time, chances
> are you are already immune. If you want to be sure, a simple blood
> test can tell you. Also, the risk of contracting it from cat litter
> is small, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. DH doesn't even let
> me NEAR the litter box...
>
> In short: stop worrying, you and the baby are most likely fine
> and doing well. If you want more reassurance, discuss your worries
> with the OB.
>
> --
> -- I
> mommy to DS (14m)
> guardian of DH
> EDD 05-17-2004
> War doesn't decide who's right - only who's left

JNJ
September 9th 03, 06:52 AM
Thanks Sophie!

Sophie > wrote in message

> "JNJ" > wrote in message
> > Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was going
off
> of
> > bc and we were just going to let nature take its course. Well, end of
> july
> > I had my last period. August came and went with no period, but I had,
and
> > still have, pains every so often that seems like it could come any time.
> > took a home test and it came out positive.
>
> Congrats!
>
> > I have to go to my obgyn to get
> > the blood test to confirm. I have an appointment for the 22. Basically
> > want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get
> pregnant
> > so fast after coming off of BC?
>
> Nope, lots of women get pregnant *on* the pill and the baby is fine. Lots
> get pregnant that first month coming off of it too, with no problems.
>

> > Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
> > together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two
and
> > half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at
Denneys.
> > Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?
>
> Nope.
>

> > Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned
> about
> > changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home
test
> > came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely
am
> > pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.
> >
> > Well, let me know what you think.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Julie
> >

> Wouldn't worry about the cat box as long as you don't do it anymore.
>
> And congrats again :)
>
> --
> Sophie -
> TTC #4

JNJ
September 9th 03, 11:23 AM
Thanks Em! :)

Em > wrote in message
> "JNJ" > wrote in message
> > Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was going
off
> of
> > bc and we were just going to let nature take its course. Well, end of
> july
> > I had my last period. August came and went with no period, but I had,
and
> > still have, pains every so often that seems like it could come any time.
> > took a home test and it came out positive. I have to go to my obgyn to
> get
> > the blood test to confirm. I have an appointment for the 22. Basically
> > want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get
> pregnant
> > so fast after coming off of BC?
>
> Everything I have read indicates that there is no risk to the baby if you
> conceive straight off of bcps (or even while on them). The hormones leave
> your system very quickly. Doctors often recommend waiting to get pregnant
> until you have had three post-pill cycles, but that is mostly so your body
> can re-regulate itself again and become used to being off of the pill, not
> because it is bad for the embryo.
>
> > Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
> > together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two
and
> > half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at
Denneys.
> > Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?
>
> A one-time thing like that likely wouldn't have a bad effect.
>
> > Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned
> about
> > changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home
test
> > came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely
am
> > pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.
>
> I've worried about various things hurting the baby all throughout my
> pregnancy--it is really overwhelming to have your body be solely
responsible
> for safeguarding this new little life spark. Feels like an awesome
> responsibility and it is easy to worry about everything!
>
> Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! I hope everything goes great for you
> and that you will have lots of moments of wonderment and enjoyment to go
> along with the inevitable bits of worry!
>
> --
> Em
> edd 9/23/03
> (38 weeks today!)

Ilse Witch
September 9th 03, 03:52 PM
JNJ wrote:
> Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was going off of
> bc and we were just going to let nature take its course. Well, end of july
> I had my last period. August came and went with no period, but I had, and
> still have, pains every so often that seems like it could come any time. I
> took a home test and it came out positive. I have to go to my obgyn to get
> the blood test to confirm. I have an appointment for the 22. Basically I
> want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get pregnant
> so fast after coming off of BC?

Congrats Julie!!

I got pg with DS within a month of stopping BCP, and was told on several
occasions that it's not an issue for the baby. The advice to wait a few
months is usually for the mother to get back into normal cycles, which
can sometimes take a while. You're just very lucky, it seems.

> Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
> together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two and a
> half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at Denneys.
> Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?

Personally: no, I don't think so, and I wouldn't worry about it.

> Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned about
> changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home test
> came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely am
> pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.

Cat litter carries listeriosis, which can cause brain damage in the
unborn child. However, if you have had cats for a long time, chances
are you are already immune. If you want to be sure, a simple blood
test can tell you. Also, the risk of contracting it from cat litter
is small, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. DH doesn't even let
me NEAR the litter box...

In short: stop worrying, you and the baby are most likely fine
and doing well. If you want more reassurance, discuss your worries
with the OB.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)
guardian of DH
EDD 05-17-2004
War doesn't decide who's right - only who's left

JNJ
September 9th 03, 04:12 PM
Thanks!

Daye > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:21:42 -0500, "JNJ"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have an appointment for the 22. Basically I
> >want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get
pregnant
> >so fast after coming off of BC?
>
> My sister's last 2 children were conceived pretty much that fast.
> Both are prefectly healthy.
>
> >Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
> >together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two
and a
> >half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at Denneys.
> >Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?
>
> No. A couple of drinks isn't going to harm the baby. Drinking a
> couple of drinks every day for weeks on end will probably hurt the
> baby. I wouldn't worry about it.
>

> --
> Daye
> Momma to Jayan
> "Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
> See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

JNJ
September 9th 03, 04:12 PM
Thanks Ericka!

Ericka Kammerer > wrote in message
> JNJ wrote:
>
> > Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was going
off of
> > bc and we were just going to let nature take its course. Well, end of
july
> > I had my last period. August came and went with no period, but I had,
and
> > still have, pains every so often that seems like it could come any time.
> > took a home test and it came out positive. I have to go to my obgyn to
get
> > the blood test to confirm.
>

> Why? False positives are extremely unlikely, and most
> caregivers won't even bother to do another test to confirm.
>
> > I have an appointment for the 22. Basically I
> > want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get
pregnant
> > so fast after coming off of BC?
>

> Nope. The only reason they recommend waiting is
> to give your cycles a chance to get back to normal to make
> dating a little easier. There's not a risk to the baby.
>

> > Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
> > together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two
and a
> > half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at
Denneys.
> > Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?
>

> Very unlikely.
>

> > Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned
about
> > changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home
test
> > came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely
am
> > pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.
>

> Again, probably not a problem. If you've lived with cats,
> there's a decent chance you're already immune to toxoplasmosis.
> If you change the litter every single day and wash your hands,
> odds of transmission are quite low anyway--you're probably more
> likely to get toxoplasmosis from handling raw meat or gardening.
> By all means, have your husband do it from here on out, but the
> odds that you've gotten toxoplasmosis in this amount of time is
> quite low.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Daye
September 10th 03, 12:10 AM
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:21:42 -0500, "JNJ"
> wrote:

> I have an appointment for the 22. Basically I
>want to know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get pregnant
>so fast after coming off of BC?

My sister's last 2 children were conceived pretty much that fast.
Both are prefectly healthy.

>Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I got
>together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I had two and a
>half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a large meal at Denneys.
>Do you think this will have had an effect on the baby?

No. A couple of drinks isn't going to harm the baby. Drinking a
couple of drinks every day for weeks on end will probably hurt the
baby. I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
"Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

Daye
September 10th 03, 12:11 AM
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:52:16 -0400, Ilse Witch >
wrote:

>Cat litter carries listeriosis, which can cause brain damage in the
>unborn child. However, if you have had cats for a long time, chances
>are you are already immune. If you want to be sure, a simple blood
>test can tell you. Also, the risk of contracting it from cat litter
>is small, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Incorrect handling of raw meat is a bigger risk than the cat box.
Also, gardening can be a risk.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
"Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

Linz
September 10th 03, 01:32 PM
wrote:

>JNJ wrote:

>> Another thing I would like to know is if I have to be really concerned about
>> changing the cat box.... I had been changing it but now that my home test
>> came out positive, my hubby will do it. I guess now that I most likely am
>> pregnant, I'm just worried about the baby being hurt or handicapped.
>
>Cat litter carries listeriosis, which can cause brain damage in the
>unborn child. However, if you have had cats for a long time, chances
>are you are already immune. If you want to be sure, a simple blood
>test can tell you. Also, the risk of contracting it from cat litter
>is small, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. DH doesn't even let
>me NEAR the litter box...

Toxoplasmosis, not listeriosis, I think. And you are more likely to
get toxo from incorrect handling raw meat or gardening.
--
EDD 1/11/03
32 weeks

Linz
September 10th 03, 04:01 PM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:29:36 -0400, Ilse Witch >
wrote:

>Linz wrote:
>

>> Toxoplasmosis, not listeriosis, I think. And you are more likely to
>> get toxo from incorrect handling raw meat or gardening.
>
>You're right. Listeriosis is the one you get from
>non-pasteurized milk products.

That's the one. Not that I could remember, when I posted!
--
EDD 1/11/03
32 weeks

Fer
September 10th 03, 08:03 PM
JNJ wrote:
|| Hi all! Back in July I did my intro post. I stated that I was
|| going off of bc and we were just going to let nature take its
|| course. Well, end of july I had my last period. August came and
|| went with no period, but I had, and still have, pains every so often
|| that seems like it could come any time. I took a home test and it
|| came out positive. I have to go to my obgyn to get the blood test
|| to confirm. I have an appointment for the 22. Basically I want to
|| know if any of you think its unhealthy for the baby to get pregnant
|| so fast after coming off of BC?

Well since my DS was concieved right after I stopped BCP and my DD on BCP
I'd say it just the bub will be a OK :-)

|| Also, not thinking I would get pregnant right away, in mid august I
|| got together with a friend of mine. We had a couple of drinks. I
|| had two and a half to be exact. Followed by LOTS of water and a
|| large meal at Denneys. Do you think this will have had an effect on
|| the baby?

Many woman do the same not knowing they are pregnant and their babies are
just fine.

--
Cheers!
Jenn WAHM