PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag contents?

Elly
September 9th 03, 02:37 PM
I've googled the MKP archives on the subject of diaper bag contents, and
this is the list I came up with:
- 3 or 4 disposable diapers
- travel pack of wipes
- portable changing pad
- 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
change of clothes will be enough)
- ointment (travel-size container)
- plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
- small toy
- 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
more/less than 4)
- burping cloth

Later on:
- teething gel
- pacifier
- bib
- bottle
- burping cloth
- snacks, baby spoon
- small water bottle

*Mom section* of the diaper bag: tissues and wipes for me, paracetamol,
keys, wallet with money and documents, sunglasses case, small notebook &
pen, and if needed - digital camera (I *love* taking photos!) and fresh
batteries

Anything to add /subtract?

Thanks,
Elly
36 weeks + 1 day
(26 days to go!)
EDD October 6th

Clisby
September 9th 03, 07:06 PM
Elly wrote:
> I've googled the MKP archives on the subject of diaper bag contents, and
> this is the list I came up with:
> - 3 or 4 disposable diapers
> - travel pack of wipes
> - portable changing pad
> - 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
> change of clothes will be enough)
> - ointment (travel-size container)
> - plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
> - small toy
> - 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
> more/less than 4)
> - burping cloth

I never used a diaper bag - just stuck everything in my backpack. The
list seems fine, although I never carried 2 changes of clothing for the
baby - usually didn't remember to take even one.

> Later on:
> - teething gel
> - pacifier
> - bib
> - bottle
> - burping cloth
> - snacks, baby spoon
> - small water bottle

Not sure what you mean by "later on". My first child was bottle-fed,
so I did take a bottle with me for about a year. After that, it was a
cup. I also packed a pacifier for her. The second was breastfed, so I
didn't need the bottle, but again, by the time he was 8-9 months old I
packed a cup. He never used a pacifier. I didn't pack any of the other
stuff you list.

Clisby

Anne Rogers
September 9th 03, 08:00 PM
> > - 3 or 4 disposable diapers
> > - travel pack of wipes
> > - portable changing pad
> > - 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
> > change of clothes will be enough)
> > - ointment (travel-size container)
> > - plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
> > - small toy
> > - 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
> > more/less than 4)
> > - burping cloth
>
> I never used a diaper bag - just stuck everything in my backpack. The
> list seems fine, although I never carried 2 changes of clothing for the
> baby - usually didn't remember to take even one.

I do use a changing bag, my back pack was falling to pieces so I needed a
new bag of some sort. I've only ever taken 1 change of clothes and only
once in 3.5 months did we come close to disaster. You might not need
ointment, so play that one by ear.

I also take a bottle of water for me and some cereal bars, breast feeding
makes you hungry and thirsty! I also take a packet of tissues, I never
used to remember them before I had the baby, but now I've been glad of
them more than once.

> > Later on:
> > - teething gel
> > - pacifier
> > - bib
> > - bottle
> > - burping cloth
> > - snacks, baby spoon
> > - small water bottle
>
> Not sure what you mean by "later on". My first child was bottle-fed,
> so I did take a bottle with me for about a year. After that, it was a
> cup. I also packed a pacifier for her. The second was breastfed, so I
> didn't need the bottle, but again, by the time he was 8-9 months old I
> packed a cup. He never used a pacifier. I didn't pack any of the other
> stuff you list.

we've not got to later on yet but I can't imagine taking a bottle out, ds
does have a bottle of ebm occasionally, but that's too much hassle for
out, by the time he's not drinking breast milk hopefully he'll be using a
sippy cup.

Irrational Number
September 9th 03, 10:15 PM
Elly wrote:
> I've googled the MKP archives on the subject of diaper bag contents, and
> this is the list I came up with:
> - 3 or 4 disposable diapers
> - travel pack of wipes
> - portable changing pad
> - 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
> change of clothes will be enough)
> - ointment (travel-size container)
> - plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
> - small toy
> - 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
> more/less than 4)
> - burping cloth

I'd add a receiving blanket to cover the
plastic diaper changing pad or keep baby
warm. Also, I've definitely used the 2
changes of clothes! Some of us were a bit
clumsy in the beginning and caused baby to
leak immediately after putting on a new
diaper and new clothes, so he needed another
change right away!

We also have a bottle of hand cleaner
always. We have them all throughout the
house, but I'm not a stickler on people
using them before picking up the baby.
HOWEVER, I insist that everyone use the
cleaner after changing the baby, since you
may have come in contact with poop.

We have about 4 diaper bags always ready
to go...

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

HollyLewis
September 10th 03, 12:11 AM

>Anything to add /subtract?

I never needed a baby bottle in the diaper bag unless I was dropping it off
with a babysitter -- but I *always* carried a large water bottle for myself.

The number and type of changes of clothes depends on not only the age of the
baby, but on how messy the baby tends to be, how long you'll be gone and where
you're going. Same with the number of diapers. For a 30-minute local shopping
trip, one 'emergency' diaper and no extra clothes is probably fine, but for an
all-day-long extended-family trip to an amusement park, you'd need more than 4
diapers and you might wind up with not only one or two complete changes of
clothing but also jackets, hats, extra blankets, etc.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

annafine
September 12th 03, 12:45 AM
GREAT question!

I think keeping some spare change in the diaper bag for emergency
snacks (or phone calls) for Mom (or Dad) is a wise thing to do...I
almost never carry cash, but if I'm out with Baby and need a snack, it
might be nice to have change rather than having to use the debit card
for a small snack.

Keeping a diaper bag packed as someone suggested is a good idea.
However, keeping the digital camera in the bag and ready to go may not
be as practical since I'm sure I'll use mine in the house a lot.
However, those single use cameras would be convenient to pack in the
diaper bag for when you're out (especially if you tend to forget your
camera from time to time).

Keeping paper and pen/pencil in the diaper bag is a good idea too.
Not only for writing down notes about things baby may do while you're
out, but also getting phone numbers from other new moms/dads that you
may want to get together with for "play dates" or whatever.

Anna

JuliesSolo
September 12th 03, 06:48 AM
About the portable changing pad; I use disposable ones. That way if I use a
public changing station, I don't have to worry about what the pad is being put
on, because I'll be throwing it away.

about the change of clothes; I suppose you could start out with this, but you
may not need it. My 3 month old son has never spit up or had a diaper blow
out/accident, so I've never had to change his clothes when out.

Ointment; never used it... I used lots of vasoline from day one, and he's never
had rash. I have a small tube (larger than lip balm size) in my bag

plasic bags; YEP. The kind I use smell like baby powder and have handles. Got
them at Dollar General, but I think Babies r Us carries them. I can't tell you
how much people appreciate you putting the diaper in a bag, whether at a
private home or in a public restroom.

Small toy; again, my son is 3 months, and I personally haven't needed a toy.
I'm in a lucky minority, though, in that my son cries when hungry or poopy, but
is always smiling or sleeping otherwise.

nursing pad; I formula fed, but I did start out trying to breast feed (neither
me or baby was happy with this). If you do wind up formula feeding, I
recommend 2 2 oz nursettes and disposable nipple until baby is eating more,
then going to a playtex nurser with drop-in liner set to go and an 8 oz
container of ready to serve formula... real life saver. Hopefully, though,
breast feeding will be a great success!

Burp cloth; I started out with one, but removed it because I never needed it.
In baby's infant carrier, I have a pacifier and bib (which you probably won't
need) and lightweight blanket.

About the pacifier later on; I wound up needing one for him from the get-go.
he didn't use it often, but it did help calm him down until I could get
somewhere where I could feed him. You can find pacifier carriers that keep
them clean and lint free, too.

May want to consider MYLICON drops. Used to have a heck of a time burping
baby, so these drops were a life saver, as they break up the gas in the baby.

Let me run down my list to see if there's anything to add:

-diapers (4)
-wipes
-disposable changing pads
-mini bag with disposable bags and vasoline (the bag within a bag is handy when
space at a changing station is tight)
-waterproof pad (like a mini crib pad) for when changing him at a friend's
house (to protect their carpet or bedding)
-2 nursettes and disposable nipple
-extra pacifier in carry case
-Playtex 8 ounce with drop in and lid
-8 oz can of formula, ready to feed

I carry a large backpack for my diaper bag, and simply slip my purse inside.

>Subject: Diaper bag contents?
>From: "Elly"
>Date: 9/9/2003 6:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>I've googled the MKP archives on the subject of diaper bag contents, and
>this is the list I came up with:
>- 3 or 4 disposable diapers
>- travel pack of wipes
>- portable changing pad
>- 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
>change of clothes will be enough)
>- ointment (travel-size container)
>- plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
>- small toy
>- 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
>more/less than 4)
>- burping cloth
>

>Later on:
>- teething gel
>- pacifier
>- bib
>- bottle
>- burping cloth
>- snacks, baby spoon
>- small water bottle
>
>*Mom section* of the diaper bag: tissues and wipes for me, paracetamol,
>keys, wallet with money and documents, sunglasses case, small notebook &
>pen, and if needed - digital camera (I *love* taking photos!) and fresh
>batteries
>
>Anything to add /subtract?
>
>Thanks,
>Elly
>36 weeks + 1 day
>(26 days to go!)
>EDD October 6th

Akuvikate
September 12th 03, 05:56 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message >...
> I've googled the MKP archives on the subject of diaper bag contents, and
> this is the list I came up with:

> - 3 or 4 disposable diapers
Maybe more or fewer depening on how long you'll be out.

> - travel pack of wipes
yep

> - portable changing pad
yep

> - 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
> change of clothes will be enough)
Depends on how long you'll be out and your baby's body fluids
production. The Bug isn't spit-uppy and poops ~1x/day on a
semi-predictable schedule, so I usually have a sense of what we might
need. We do live in an area of varied climates though, so depending
on where we go I pack lighter or warmer clothes. I usually leave in a
sweater, warm hat, and sunhat (and how often do you need those around
the house anyway?).

> - ointment (travel-size container)
We use it neither while out or at home and the Bug isn't rashy.

> - plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
Can also be used to hold the dipes and wipes (I find the plastic bags
the newspaper is delivered in to be the perfect size for dirty
diapers).

> - small toy
Once the baby is old enough to care about toys.

> - 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
> more/less than 4)
Depends on the leakage and the pads -- some need to be changed
constantly; the ones with the same absorbent stuff they use in
disposable diapers can last a while.

> - burping cloth

Also - a receiving blanket can be handy in various ways.

> Later on:
> - teething gel
> - pacifier
Whenever (or if) baby starts using one, then you throw one in.
> - bib
> - bottle
Again, if baby starts using one, then you throw one in.
> - burping cloth
> - snacks, baby spoon
> - small water bottle
>
> *Mom section* of the diaper bag: tissues and wipes for me, paracetamol,
> keys, wallet with money and documents, sunglasses case, small notebook &
> pen, and if needed - digital camera (I *love* taking photos!) and fresh
> batteries

Though I usually forget them, I second the suggestion of water and
snack for mom.

Potentially brilliant idea I haven't actually started using yet --
alcohol wipes. When out with friends and their 6-month old whose toys
kept landing on the floor and then having to be put away (because the
next place they'd go was his mouth) I thought some alcohol wipes would
be handy to clean them off.

I got a second-hand diaper backpack and in the end just took the
changing pad from it and use my regular backpack. I just finished
school so was used to using that instead of a purse anyway. Thus it
also has a folder with things I need to do (forms to take care of,
cards to send, etc).

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003

Elly
September 13th 03, 03:45 PM
"annafine" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Keeping a diaper bag packed as someone suggested is a good idea.
> However, keeping the digital camera in the bag and ready to go may not
> be as practical since I'm sure I'll use mine in the house a lot.

I don't plan to *keep* it in the bag all the time; as I said, it will be
there if needed (if we're going somewhere and I plan to take photos).

> Keeping paper and pen/pencil in the diaper bag is a good idea too.
> Not only for writing down notes about things baby may do while you're
> out, but also getting phone numbers from other new moms/dads that you
> may want to get together with for "play dates" or whatever.

That's what I thought - notebook with all the important phone numbers (like
paediatrician, etc.), appointments for the day, whatever. I like being
organized - in fact, since I got pregnant I noticed I'd like to be more
organized than I actually am - and carrying a small notebook&pen will be
helpful.

The blanket will be in the car all the time, the stroller is very
protective, and I bought a nice warm snowsuit for walks with the baby
carrier, so I think it will be OK, but will actually see how this is working
out when the baby is born. I just wanted the initial ideas what to put in
the diaper bag - I'm sure I'll add or subtract a lot later on ;-)

Responding to JuliesSolo - I also bought a disposable changing pad. Bought
the pacifier carrier, too :-)

I forgot to mention in the original post - my diaper bag is actually a
backpack (with two separate compartments - the bigger one for baby stuff and
the smaller, pocket-like one at the front for Mum&Dad stuff), so I believe
it will be handy for both walks with a stroller or thecarrier.

Thank you all for great suggestions and stories behind them :-)

Elly
36 weeks + 5 days
(22 days to go)
EDD October 6th

September 21st 03, 07:26 PM
Elly wrote:
> I've googled the MKP archives on the subject of diaper bag contents,
> and this is the list I came up with:
> - 3 or 4 disposable diapers
> - travel pack of wipes
> - portable changing pad
> - 2 changes of clothes (I think by the time the baby is 4 months old 1
> change of clothes will be enough)
> - ointment (travel-size container)
> - plastic bags to put the used nappies/dirty clothes in
> - small toy
> - 4 nursing pads (OK, I know it depends on the leakage so it might be
> more/less than 4)
> - burping cloth
>

> Later on:
> - teething gel
> - pacifier
> - bib
> - bottle
> - burping cloth
> - snacks, baby spoon
> - small water bottle
>
> *Mom section* of the diaper bag: tissues and wipes for me,
> paracetamol, keys, wallet with money and documents, sunglasses case,
> small notebook & pen, and if needed - digital camera (I *love* taking
> photos!) and fresh batteries
>
> Anything to add /subtract?
>
> Thanks,
> Elly
> 36 weeks + 1 day
> (26 days to go!)
> EDD October 6th

one thing no one mentioned was a change of clothes, or at least a t-shirt
for mom (or whoever is taking baby). my 1st dd would "explode" in her
diapers and I usually ended up wearing some too :(
--
Edith
oht nak