PDA

View Full Version : membrane stripping doc and general update

Stephanie
September 9th 03, 06:46 PM
OI. I wrote last week about thinking my doc stripped (swept? what is
the correct term?) my membranes without telling me. I finally decided
it was worth a call to the practice since I did not want him showing
up at my delivery! I spoke with the newish nurse midwife. I thought I
could ask her how I go about making sure he was not at my delivery,
and whether or not she was accepting transfers while I was talking to
her. She had pulled my chart before she returned my call, so she knew
the doc to which I was referring. So I told her my concerns, that
doing something like that was very inconsistent with the philosophy of
the practice. She agreed wholeheartedly. She assured me that she
thought it EXTREMELY unlikely that the doc stripped them at all, on
purpose or accidentally. Like if it was done accidentally, I would
simply feel he was incompetent instead of nasty. That thought had
crossed my mind. She explained that he had big fat ham hands, but that
for this doc IN PARTICULAR this would be very out of character. She
asked me if I would like her to bring this to his attention, and
suggested that he would be receptive to a request for more careful
gentleness in future exams. She thought it more likely that he is
unaware that he is a bit rough, combined with the general business in
the cervix area this late in pregnancy was the reason for my symptoms.
She also told me should could go about setting it up such that he not
be present at the delivery.

I felt reassured. In light of this reassurance, I felt there was no
need to make an issue of his presence at the birth. After all, the doc
does not really do very much in a normal birth.

Since some of you asked me why I let them do cervix checks, it dawned
on me I could not remember why cervix checks were done. The midwife
said that they had 2 cases this year of folks who went all the way to
transition without any contractions! Let me ask you... is that a
blessing or a curse? I am not sure. Anyway, she said it is so unusual,
if I do not want a cervix check, just say so and we won't do them.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Thought I would let you all know. I am now 38+4 (I think). After
pre-term labor worries and weeks of contractions and days of cramping,
I am all very ready to go. So send some of those good vibes my way.

And thanks.

Stephanie

Cheryl S.
September 9th 03, 09:36 PM
Stephanie > wrote in message
om...
> After pre-term labor worries and weeks of contractions
> and days of cramping, I am all very ready to go.
>So send some of those good vibes my way.

I'm glad you decided to call and got things sorted out. Any stress is
so hard to deal with at this point. Lots of good labor vibes coming
your way.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Em
September 9th 03, 10:06 PM
"Stephanie" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I felt reassured. In light of this reassurance, I felt there was no
> need to make an issue of his presence at the birth. After all, the doc
> does not really do very much in a normal birth.
>
> Since some of you asked me why I let them do cervix checks, it dawned
> on me I could not remember why cervix checks were done. The midwife
> said that they had 2 cases this year of folks who went all the way to
> transition without any contractions! Let me ask you... is that a
> blessing or a curse? I am not sure. Anyway, she said it is so unusual,
> if I do not want a cervix check, just say so and we won't do them.
> Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
>
> Thought I would let you all know. I am now 38+4 (I think). After
> pre-term labor worries and weeks of contractions and days of cramping,
> I am all very ready to go. So send some of those good vibes my way.

I'm glad you got satisfactory resolution to your concerns. I have opted to
forgo cervical checks until at least 40 weeks myself.

I hope your ongoing contractions and cramping produce results soon, now that
you're ready!

***labor vibes**** ***labor vibes****

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Larry McMahan
September 10th 03, 12:26 AM
Stephanie > writes:

: Thought I would let you all know. I am now 38+4 (I think). After
: pre-term labor worries and weeks of contractions and days of cramping,
: I am all very ready to go. So send some of those good vibes my way.

Stephanie, thanks for your update. I'm sure it makes all of us feel
better, too. Hang in there. And for my obligatory piece of unsolicited
advice: since you are so close now, remember that patience is also a
virtue! :-)

Larry

Stephanie and Tim
September 10th 03, 11:26 AM
"Larry McMahan" > wrote in message
> Stephanie > writes:
>
> : Thought I would let you all know. I am now 38+4 (I think). After
> : pre-term labor worries and weeks of contractions and days of cramping,
> : I am all very ready to go. So send some of those good vibes my way.
>
> Stephanie, thanks for your update. I'm sure it makes all of us feel
> better, too. Hang in there. And for my obligatory piece of unsolicited
> advice: since you are so close now, remember that patience is also a
> virtue! :-)
>
> Larry

For some reason I cannot explain, I just gave up being anxious yesterday.
Well, it will happen when it happens!

Thanks all.