PDA

View Full Version : Not posted for a while......

Sophie
September 10th 03, 09:27 PM
> I am hoping some of you lovely and very experienced ladies may be able to
> give me some facts?

All 3 of mine were c-sections.

> 1) For those who have had a c-section, how quickly were you walking
around?

Next day. They make you.

> Able to climb the stairs?

First day home from the hospital - 4 days post-partum.

>And what things were you not allowed to do and
> for how long? Like driving, lifting etc?

Most things that you were not supposed to do were for 6 weeks - no driving
(but they don't give you a chauffeur), no lifting laundry baskets (no
laundry fairy). Honestly the quicker I did things the better I felt. Just
listen to your body - if it doesn't feel good/right, stop. Hold something
on your stomach when you do things like getting in and out of bed or in and
out of the car. That's when my incision hurt the most. You'll be surprised
during what activities you use your stomach muscles - lol.

> Many thanks
>
> Shaz
> 35 weeks 4 days

Good luck :)

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

shaz
September 10th 03, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

Not posted on here for a while, but been an avid reader! Many
congratulations to all of ladies that have had babies.

I am nearly 36 weeks now, and have not had an easy pregnancy by any means.
I had trouble with pelvis pain from quite early on, but at 30 weeks it
became unbearable. I was then diagnosed with SPD, saw the pyhsio and was
given crutches, but told nothing could be done and to come back when I
needed a wheelchair. In desperation I saw a Chiropractor (never seen one
before but this lady was recommended) She practises the McTimoney
technique, which is very gentle, and designed for pregnancy and babies. I
am so pleased I consulted her as she helped from the first treatment. I am
now able to walk around the house, whereas I couldnt even shuffle from one
room to another before without terrible pain. However, I am still pretty
much housebound, and getting very very bored. (I can relate to those ladies
on bedrest fully!)

My diabetes has been reasonable, if not hard work, and the babies size is on
the 50th percentile which is good news. I will find out next week when I
see the consultant when I will have the baby, which will depend on next
weeks scan and how baby is growing etc. I am not sure if I am going to be
induced or have a c-section, which again will depend on scan etc. From what
I have read vaginal birth is not recommended if you have SPD, and due to my
immobility i am not sure I would physically be able to succeed. Whatever
method of delivery, firstly I am petrified, but most importantly it doesn't
matter as long as baby is OK.

I am hoping some of you lovely and very experienced ladies may be able to
give me some facts?

1) For those who have had a c-section, how quickly were you walking around?
Able to climb the stairs? And what things were you not allowed to do and
for how long? Like driving, lifting etc?

Many thanks

Shaz
35 weeks 4 days

Daye
September 10th 03, 11:46 PM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:35:39 +0100, "shaz"
> wrote:

>1) For those who have had a c-section, how quickly were you walking around?
>Able to climb the stairs? And what things were you not allowed to do and
>for how long? Like driving, lifting etc?

I had to lay down for 24 hours following the birth as I was being
given mag sulfate. However, most women are up within a few hours.

I had to climb about 6 stairs to get into my house at 5 days after the
surgery. I didn't drive at the time (well, I could have, but I didn't
have a license) so I don't know about that. They told me not to lift
anything heavier than the baby for about 3-4 weeks, I think.

Basically after about 3 weeks, I could do most things. It took me
about 3 months for all the pain to be gone though.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

HollyLewis
September 11th 03, 01:05 AM
>1) For those who have had a c-section, how quickly were you walking around?
>Able to climb the stairs? And what things were you not allowed to do and
>for how long? Like driving, lifting etc?

I was walking around -- with some extra care -- by the time I left the hospital
on Day 3. I climbed stairs okay, but slower than usual I guess. I still had
some pain if I tried to move too fast or do too much about a week later, but by
3 weeks I felt more or less back to normal as far as the effects of the section
were concerned. (LIfe with a newborn isn't what you previously thought of as
"normal" regardless, but I could get out of bed without thinking about it.)

It was advised that I not drive for 6 weeks. I imagine if I'd really had to, I
could have driven earlier than that, but I didn't have to, so I didn't.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

Ericka Kammerer
September 11th 03, 03:42 AM
shaz wrote:

> My diabetes has been reasonable, if not hard work, and the babies size is on
> the 50th percentile which is good news. I will find out next week when I
> see the consultant when I will have the baby, which will depend on next
> weeks scan and how baby is growing etc. I am not sure if I am going to be
> induced or have a c-section, which again will depend on scan etc. From what
> I have read vaginal birth is not recommended if you have SPD, and due to my
> immobility i am not sure I would physically be able to succeed. Whatever
> method of delivery, firstly I am petrified, but most importantly it doesn't
> matter as long as baby is OK.

I don't recall if you have factors you haven't mentioned
in this post operating, but why an induction or c-section,
particularly since there's no evidence the baby is unusually
large? Also, I'm not quite sure I'd buy that SPD makes vaginal
birth inadvisable. I had it (though perhaps not as bad as you
have it), and while it made it more challenging to find good
positions during pushing, it certainly wasn't an insurmountable
obstacle to a vaginal birth. I just had to stick with positions
that put equal pressure on my hips (side-lying was bad, but
hands and knees worked quite well). If you aren't keen on
the notion of a c-section, you may very well have room to
wiggle out of it if you press the issue.

Best wishes,
Ericka

UberMinx
September 11th 03, 04:00 AM
"shaz" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Not posted on here for a while, but been an avid reader! Many
> congratulations to all of ladies that have had babies.
>
> I am nearly 36 weeks now, and have not had an easy pregnancy by any means.
> I had trouble with pelvis pain from quite early on, but at 30 weeks it
> became unbearable. I was then diagnosed with SPD, saw the pyhsio and was
> given crutches, but told nothing could be done and to come back when I
> needed a wheelchair. In desperation I saw a Chiropractor (never seen one
> before but this lady was recommended) She practises the McTimoney
> technique, which is very gentle, and designed for pregnancy and babies. I
> am so pleased I consulted her as she helped from the first treatment. I am
> now able to walk around the house, whereas I couldnt even shuffle from one
> room to another before without terrible pain. However, I am still pretty
> much housebound, and getting very very bored. (I can relate to those
ladies
> on bedrest fully!)

Hi, just wanted to say that I also had SPD very severely (Im currently 30
wks) and couldnt get in to see a physio so also went to a Mactimoney
Chiropractor. I was AMAZED at the results. What was unbearable constant pain
is now mild to moderate discomfort on occasion. I have had 2 sessions so far
and have one more planned for next week. My posture is improved, I cant help
but keep my shoulders back and my head up, and I feel really good. I dont
know if its relevant also, but my b.p. thru pregnancy has varied at the top
end between 110/130 and at the bottom end 70/80, but this week it was
110/60, maybe because the pain is gone and im not quite as stressed as I
was? Seems a bit too odd to be co-incidental.

> My diabetes has been reasonable, if not hard work, and the babies size is
on
> the 50th percentile which is good news. I will find out next week when I
> see the consultant when I will have the baby, which will depend on next
> weeks scan and how baby is growing etc. I am not sure if I am going to be
> induced or have a c-section, which again will depend on scan etc. From
what
> I have read vaginal birth is not recommended if you have SPD, and due to
my
> immobility i am not sure I would physically be able to succeed. Whatever
> method of delivery, firstly I am petrified, but most importantly it
doesn't
> matter as long as baby is OK.
>
> I am hoping some of you lovely and very experienced ladies may be able to
> give me some facts?
>
> 1) For those who have had a c-section, how quickly were you walking
around?
> Able to climb the stairs? And what things were you not allowed to do and
> for how long? Like driving, lifting etc?

I had a c-sect with DS and am planning one for this PG. Up and about the
same day, walking to and from the loo and sitting in a chair. They recommend
no heavy lifting, driving or heavy housework for 6 weeks after delivery.

Minx

30+1

Jacqui
September 11th 03, 10:43 AM
shaz wibbled

> 1) For those who have had a c-section, how quickly were you
> walking around? Able to climb the stairs? And what things were
> you not allowed to do and for how long? Like driving, lifting
> etc?

I was walking around happily 14 hours later (painkillers hadn't worn
off), but still using the crutches (fellow SPD sufferer). I ditched
them the same day, but am back on them now, six weeks later, when I get
tired. I didn't have any stairs to climb until 7 days pp, but they were
fine when I did, and I was pushing the hospital crib from day 2 and a
heavy 1960s pram on day 5. Driving doesn't apply (I don't), but I did
try things like loading the washing machine from day 10 or so. I've
since ended up with a c-section wound infection, which is severely
limiting any activity like that, but if you're healthy you'll probably
feel fine doing it.

DO bear in mind that SPD *doesn't* magically disappear for all
sufferers, I thought mine had and it has now resurfaced as T gets
heavier and I try to do more. Take things very steadily indeed, listen
to your pain and don't 'push through it'. Walking with a pram/buggy
helps, if it's lightweight and at a good height.

Jac

hierophant
September 11th 03, 08:11 PM
shaz wrote:
> I was then diagnosed with SPD, saw the pyhsio and was
> given crutches, but told nothing could be done and to come back when I
> needed a wheelchair.

I'm guessing you're talking about your pubic symphysis? The cartilige
tore completely during my first vaginal birth and healed well (I used a
walker for a few days following her birth). No lingering problems with
any of the later babies during pregnancy or labor and all babies were
progressively one pound larger than the one before.

IMHO, seems pretty dramatic to schedule abdominal surgery for a common
pregnancy discomfort.

Kris

shaz
September 11th 03, 08:49 PM
Many thanks to everyones comments and opinions, I really appreciate the
advice. I will speak to the consulatnat next Wednesday and go from
there........

Shaz

"hierophant" > wrote in message

> shaz wrote:
> > I was then diagnosed with SPD, saw the pyhsio and was
> > given crutches, but told nothing could be done and to come back when I
> > needed a wheelchair.
>
> I'm guessing you're talking about your pubic symphysis? The cartilige
> tore completely during my first vaginal birth and healed well (I used a
> walker for a few days following her birth). No lingering problems with
> any of the later babies during pregnancy or labor and all babies were
> progressively one pound larger than the one before.
>
> IMHO, seems pretty dramatic to schedule abdominal surgery for a common
> pregnancy discomfort.
>
> Kris

Shannon
September 12th 03, 05:28 PM
I myself have not had a c-section but I have 2 people that I have seen after
c-sections.

My one friend has had 2 c-sections and she was up and about in one week
after the 1st and 2 weeks after the 2nd. She didn't have any problems with
it at all. With the driving I couldn't say as she doesn't drive but I have
been told a couple of weeks.

With the other women I know she didn't take care of herself properly as she
abscessed(infection) and was not able to do anything for a month or so. She
also didn't drive.(this is the women who went to have a VBAC and the baby
was still born because of uterine rupture because of having a VBAC).

Hope this info is helpful to you :)

Shannon
due today

shaz
September 22nd 03, 10:32 PM
I have since spoken with my Obstetrican and am going to hopefully have a
vaginal birth. Thanks again to all that replied to my original opsting.

Shaz
37 weeks 2 days

"hierophant" > wrote in message
m...

> Jacqui wrote:
>
> > There's degrees and degrees of these things. SPD can be to 'common'
> > sore hips/pelvis as true influenza is to the common cold. Complete
> > tearing like you had can be quite easily overcome in the overall scheme
> > of things, or it can be completely and utterly crippling.
>
> I understand the degrees and my split pubic symphysis was utterly
> crippling. I was being rather brief when I first replied. I was in the
> hospital in a wheelchair for 5 days, then home with a walker for another
> 5, then after I walked like a stroke victim for a few weeks (and anyone
> walking with me was privy to the snapping of my pelvis bones audibly
> rubbing together). So it wasn't 'quite easily overcome'. Still, I
> wouldn't have scheduled a surgery for the next birth based on that as
> painful and inconvenient as it was.
>
> Late reply, sorry...
>
> Kris

Em
September 25th 03, 05:23 PM
"hierophant" > wrote in message

> I understand the degrees and my split pubic symphysis was utterly
> crippling. I was being rather brief when I first replied. I was in the
> hospital in a wheelchair for 5 days, then home with a walker for another
> 5, then after I walked like a stroke victim for a few weeks (and anyone
> walking with me was privy to the snapping of my pelvis bones audibly
> rubbing together). So it wasn't 'quite easily overcome'. Still, I
> wouldn't have scheduled a surgery for the next birth based on that as
> painful and inconvenient as it was.

Wow. *cringe* I just had to comment about how horrible this sounds like it
was :-(

--
Em
mama to Lann, 9/21/03