PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller half-life and logistics

Laurie
September 11th 03, 04:05 AM
Ok, so I already have a double stroller. Truth be told, I have 2. I really
don't like either of them, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to go
for a nice new one with the bells and whistles or just to stop being such a
damn princess and stick with the two I've got. ;)

Brief summary is that I had one I really wanted pre birth of second baby,
ended up getting another one as a gift from MIL and 2 SIL's. It's really
awful. Huge, very heavy, so hard to maneuver it's not even funny. The back
doesn't go back far enough for a young baby to recline comfortably. The
canopies aren't big enough, Jess pulls hers out all the time, I can't
complain about it enough. Every time I use it I find myself uttering
obscenities.

This brings my good friend into the picture, who knew how frustrated I was
with the damn thing, and picked up an old one for me cheaply at a yard
sale. The plan was I'd give it back to her when I'm done with it for any
future use she may have for it (she currently has only one baby). This
stroller is much easier to turn and maneuver and does recline safely for a
young baby. However, it's almost too short for him already, is very
difficult to fold down and is very difficult to get into the back of my car.
It's also hard to get stuff into the basket and doesn't have the
aforementioned bells and whistles like cup holders for either baby or even
just snack trays. Of course none for mom either. Not a huge deal, but nice
plusses.

The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price. It
turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage. Folds
easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car, but
since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going to
assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week (not a
normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have had a
couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy it
so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing going
on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money, but
wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient it
would be.

I would use it for walks, trips to the mall and occasional other uses.
Fairly often, in other words. Jess has a short stroller tolerance, but does
use and like it. Just not for long periods of time. So what I'm getting at
is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the one I really want? I
notice on the mkb thread about many people using strollers until their kids
are 4 and older (at times). If that's the case, it's definitely worth it to
me.

Opinions?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Laurie
September 11th 03, 04:56 AM
Nina wrote in message ...

>"Laurie" >
>>
>> The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price. It
>> turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage.
Folds
>> easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car,
>but
>> since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going to
>> assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week
(not
>> normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have had
>> couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy
it
>> so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing
>going
>> on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money, but
>> wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient
it
>> would be.
>
>I used my double stroller for a long long time, it was worth every cent!

Thanks Nina, good to know!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Nina
September 11th 03, 05:09 AM
"Laurie" > wrote in message
et...

> Nina wrote in message ...
> >
> >"Laurie" >
> >>
> >> The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price.
It
> >> turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage.
> Folds
> >> easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my
car,
> >but
> >> since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going
> >> assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week
> (not
> >> normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have
had
> >> couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy
> it
> >> so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing
> >going
> >> on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money,
but
> >> wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient
> it
> >> would be.
> >
> >I used my double stroller for a long long time, it was worth every cent!
> >

> Thanks Nina, good to know!

To elaborate. I used it a LOT!!! It kept the kids in place in stores, it
was big enough to use instead of a cart when shopping. After I used it for
about 3 years I gave it to my brother. SOmething like a stroller, especially
one for 2 kids, is really a worthwhile investment. I would have died without
my stroller, I am serious about that. I used to go to the book store, lean
the kids back for a nap and read for an hour or so. THey would just snooze
and all would be well with the world.
I like my graco stroller and in fact, for my new baby ordered an older model
via Ebay just because I wanted what I wanted!

Sophie
September 11th 03, 01:30 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
et...

> "Laurie" >
> >
> > The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price.
It
> > turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage.
Folds
> > easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car,
> but
> > since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going to
> > assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week
(not
> > normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have
had
> > couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy
it
> > so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing
> going
> > on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money, but
> > wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient
it
> > would be.
>
> I used my double stroller for a long long time, it was worth every cent!

And as you know, I never used mine. If you are really, really, really going
to use it, buy it. I had much better luck using an umbrella stroller and a
Baby Bjorn when I would take out Charlotte and Patrick, then Patrick and
Lewis. I have NO intentions of buying a double stroller for Lewis and #4.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Laurie
September 11th 03, 01:53 PM
Sophie wrote in message ...
>"Nina" > wrote in message
et...

>> "Laurie" >
>> >
>> > The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price.
>It
>> > turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage.
>Folds
>> > easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my
car,
>> but
>> > since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going
>> > assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week
>(not
>> > normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have
>had
>> > couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy
>it
>> > so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing
>> going
>> > on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money,
but
>> > wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient
>it
>> > would be.
>>
>> I used my double stroller for a long long time, it was worth every cent!
>>

>And as you know, I never used mine. If you are really, really, really
going
>to use it, buy it. I had much better luck using an umbrella stroller and a
>Baby Bjorn when I would take out Charlotte and Patrick, then Patrick and
>Lewis. I have NO intentions of buying a double stroller for Lewis and #4.
>
>--
>Sophie -
>TTC #4

That's what I end up doing most of the time, either using the single
stroller and the bjorn or the single stroller and the sling. I just get too
aggravated every time I use the double strollers. There have been several
incidences when i've thought it would be really nice to have one I liked,
though. Thanks Sophie.

As of now, it already hurts to wear CHristopher in the bjorn too long (he's
about 17 lbs, that's when it started hurting with Jess, too) and he's only
happy in the sling for so long.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Irene
September 11th 03, 02:48 PM
"Laurie" > wrote in message >...
> Ok, so I already have a double stroller. Truth be told, I have 2. I really
> don't like either of them, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to go
> for a nice new one with the bells and whistles or just to stop being such a
> damn princess and stick with the two I've got. ;)

Well, I'm afraid I have no answers for you, just more questions!

I'm curious about one thing - I was reading in Toddler Bargains just
recently that they (the authors) thought that tandem (front/back)
strollers were horribly unweildy, and they much preferred the
side-by-side. But, that's not what I'm hearing from people on the
ng's. What's the scoop?

FWIW, when #2 shows up, ds will be about 2.75 years. Right now, I
only rarely use the stroller, because he gets restless very quickly,
but I know I won't be able to carry both him and a newborn at the same
time very easily! (Or for any sort of distance).

Muddying the issue,
Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/10/04

Ericka Kammerer
September 11th 03, 05:07 PM
Laurie wrote:

> The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price. It
> turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage. Folds
> easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car, but
> since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going to
> assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week (not a
> normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have had a
> couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy it
> so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing going
> on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money, but
> wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient it
> would be.
>
> I would use it for walks, trips to the mall and occasional other uses.
> Fairly often, in other words. Jess has a short stroller tolerance, but does
> use and like it. Just not for long periods of time. So what I'm getting at
> is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the one I really want? I
> notice on the mkb thread about many people using strollers until their kids
> are 4 and older (at times). If that's the case, it's definitely worth it to
> me.
>
> Opinions?

Honestly, this is one that in my mind boils down to just
how price sensitive you are. You don't get any guarantees.
Jess could turn over a new leaf tomorrow and refuse to sit
in a stroller ever again ;-) Some people do get much longer
use out of strollers than others, and surely if you're still
using a double stroller two years now you'll kick yourself if
you don't get the stroller you want. If the money was a
significant hardship, I'd slog on without. If it were of
no significant consequence, I'd get it. In between...well,
you just have to call it ;-) Maybe it helps if you look
at the alternative uses of the $129.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Circe
September 11th 03, 06:14 PM
"Sophie" > wrote in message
> Mine is a front/back one (Graco Duo or something). I have no idea how you
> would get a side by side through doorways, through store racks, etc..

I have a Graco side-by-side and it's not much wider than a standard
wheelchair, so I can get anywhere with it that someone in a wheelchair can
get (which may not be saying much, I admit). When getting through doorways,
it definitely helps if there's someone to hold it open for me or it's one of
the ones that self-props, but I can generally get through fine by myself if
I open the door, prop it with my foot, and then back through (if you can
envision that). I actually tend to do that a lot with a single stroller,
too, though. Getting through racks in department stores can *definitely* be
tricky with the double, though.

Still, I really *liked* my side-by-side double, particularly when Aurora was
an infant and Julian was 2. It was nice to be able to seat them without
worrying about whether the seat they were in would recline in the event one
or the other (or both) fell asleep. I know there are some tandems that
recline in both positions, but I didn't see any when I was shopping for my
double that didn't cost an absolute mint.

I have to admit, though, that I didn't use the double for Aurora and Vernon
nearly as much as I expected to. I don't know how I managed, exactly--I
guess I just didn't do as many outings with both of them as I did with
Julian and Aurora, probably because Aurora was already in preschool when
Vernon was born and so there were more opportunities to do errands and the
like with only one kid!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Taniwha grrrl
September 11th 03, 11:59 PM
Irene wrote:
> "Laurie" > wrote in message

But, that's not what I'm hearing from people on the
> ng's. What's the scoop?

I've had both and I much prefer my side by side one as it's
easier to turn and push. Mine is a twin mountain buggy
(jogger buggy?) and it handles most terrain, doesn't do so
well on beaches though unless the sand is wet and compacted.
Like Barbara said it's no wider than a wheelchair, but that
being said you realise how difficult shopping must be for
those in wheelchairs. It fits through most doors, but not
all, and navigating clothing racks in some stores becomes
some sort of maze/bondage challenge.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Alphawave
September 12th 03, 02:39 AM
Laurie says:

> So what I'm getting at
> is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the one I really
> want?

I know how nice it is to get the stroller you really want. We had an
inexpensive model for Eamon, then got a much nicer one as a gift for
Quinn. Eamon's is so unwieldy, hard to maneuver, creaks like crazy, etc.
(although, it has lasted, and we've put it through all kinds of hell).
Quinn's moves as if it were floating on a cloud, and we love it. I guess
the answer as to whether to buy this nice stroller is think through what
else that $129 could do for you, and how bummed you'd be if Jess suddenly
started refusing to ride.

We never got a double stroller. We went looking, couldn't make up our
minds, then decided to wait and see whether we'd really need it. When we
go out, either Quinn's in the stroller and Eamon walks, or Eamon's in the
stroller and Quinn's in the sling.

-- Alpha
alphawave at earthlink dot net

Laurie
September 12th 03, 04:27 AM
Ericka Kammerer wrote in message >...

> Honestly, this is one that in my mind boils down to just
>how price sensitive you are. You don't get any guarantees.
>Jess could turn over a new leaf tomorrow and refuse to sit
>in a stroller ever again ;-) Some people do get much longer
>use out of strollers than others, and surely if you're still
>using a double stroller two years now you'll kick yourself if
>you don't get the stroller you want. If the money was a
>significant hardship, I'd slog on without. If it were of
>no significant consequence, I'd get it. In between...well,
>you just have to call it ;-) Maybe it helps if you look
>at the alternative uses of the $129.
>
>Best wishes,
>Ericka

I'd say it's somewhere in between significant hardship and no significant
consequence. It's really not in the budget, if you know what I mean, but it
won't kill us.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Cheryl
September 12th 03, 10:40 AM
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:53:11 GMT, "Laurie" >
wrote:

>As of now, it already hurts to wear CHristopher in the bjorn too long (he's
>about 17 lbs, that's when it started hurting with Jess, too) and he's only
>happy in the sling for so long.

He'll probably be happier in the sling when you can start using the
hip carry position. It puts him up high enough to see stuff and it's
like the way you would carry him naturally. My daughter usually
spends about the first half hour of any outing in the stroller and
then insists on being carried in the sling, at which point the boys
start playing the "in and out the stroller" game which makes
everything take twice as long. It would be easier to not take a
stroller at all!

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)

*Hunee*
September 12th 03, 12:02 PM
Cheryl > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:53:11 GMT, "Laurie" >
> wrote:
>
> >As of now, it already hurts to wear CHristopher in the bjorn too long
(he's
> >about 17 lbs, that's when it started hurting with Jess, too) and he's
only
> >happy in the sling for so long.
>
> He'll probably be happier in the sling when you can start using the
> hip carry position. It puts him up high enough to see stuff and it's
> like the way you would carry him naturally. My daughter usually
> spends about the first half hour of any outing in the stroller and
> then insists on being carried in the sling, at which point the boys
> start playing the "in and out the stroller" game which makes
> everything take twice as long. It would be easier to not take a
> stroller at all!
>

> --
> Cheryl
> Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
> and DD (30 Jul 02)

That day we met in Melbourne and you had your beautiful little girl in her
sling on your hip and you showed me how to do it, I have got 2 of them now!
;-)
We love them!
Thanks Cheryl.
:-)
--
*~*~*Trish*~*~*
Mum to 5 wonderful human beings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.a3.com.au
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Hunee*
September 12th 03, 12:04 PM
Sophie > wrote in message

> > Well, I'm afraid I have no answers for you, just more questions!
> >
> > I'm curious about one thing - I was reading in Toddler Bargains just
> > recently that they (the authors) thought that tandem (front/back)
> > strollers were horribly unweildy, and they much preferred the
> > side-by-side. But, that's not what I'm hearing from people on the
> > ng's. What's the scoop?
> >
> > FWIW, when #2 shows up, ds will be about 2.75 years. Right now, I
> > only rarely use the stroller, because he gets restless very quickly,
> > but I know I won't be able to carry both him and a newborn at the same
> > time very easily! (Or for any sort of distance).
> >
> > Muddying the issue,
> > Irene
> > mom to Thomas 7/01
> > #2 EDD 4/10/04
>

> Mine is a front/back one (Graco Duo or something). I have no idea how you
> would get a side by side through doorways, through store racks, etc...I
> think a front/back one is hard to push depending on the weight of the
child
> and who you sit where. I found it easier to prop the newborn in the front
> seat than have him lying in the back seat with the heavier kid in the
front
> seat.
>
> --
> Sophie -
> TTC #4

Thats exactly what I'm thinking of doing now that Sophie is getting bigger
and stronger. I have a Babylove tandem, the back seat sits a bit higher than
the front one so that the child in the back can see better. But the front
seat only reclines a little bit, whereas the rear one lays down flat for a
newborn. But Ally is getting so heavy thateven with the large swivel wheels
in front it is still becoming a challenge to push around.
--
*~*~*Trish*~*~*
Mum to 5 wonderful human beings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.a3.com.au
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophie
September 12th 03, 12:42 PM
> Thats exactly what I'm thinking of doing now that Sophie is getting bigger
> and stronger. I have a Babylove tandem, the back seat sits a bit higher
than
> the front one so that the child in the back can see better. But the front
> seat only reclines a little bit, whereas the rear one lays down flat for a
> newborn. But Ally is getting so heavy thateven with the large swivel
wheels
> in front it is still becoming a challenge to push around.
> --
> *~*~*Trish*~*~*
> Mum to 5 wonderful human beings.

My seats were even - good idea to make the back seat higher. Since mine was
flat it made sense later to keep the small one in front - so he could see
without the bigger one blocking his view. Also when I did put #2 in the
backseat when he was a bit bigger, he'd pull #1's hair - lol.
--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Irene
September 12th 03, 08:06 PM
"Laurie" > wrote in message >...
> Sophie wrote in message ...

> >And as you know, I never used mine. If you are really, really, really
> going
> >to use it, buy it. I had much better luck using an umbrella stroller and a
> >Baby Bjorn when I would take out Charlotte and Patrick, then Patrick and
> >Lewis. I have NO intentions of buying a double stroller for Lewis and #4.
> >
> >--
> >Sophie -
> >TTC #4
> >

> That's what I end up doing most of the time, either using the single
> stroller and the bjorn or the single stroller and the sling. I just get too
> aggravated every time I use the double strollers. There have been several
> incidences when i've thought it would be really nice to have one I liked,
> though. Thanks Sophie.
>
> laurie
> mommy to Jessica, 29 months
> and Christopher, 4 months

I'm seriously thinking I'll be doing that a lot, too. Well, I don't
have a bjorn, but I do have a sling and a front carrier (Infantino? -
ds hated it, so we only used it a couple times, very briefly). But
then, I may end up wanting a different single stroller! I've got the
big Graco Sterling that the car seat snaps into and reclines fully
which is huge and heavy and takes up 3/4 of the trunk, and a
lightweight umbrella stroller that I can't put a newborn into. I
think ideally I would want a lightweight one that I can put either of
them into. I had been considering getting a Snap-n-go, but I can't
put a toddler in that! Sigh - I really don't want to have to get both
a new single stroller *and* a double stroller! Because I can also
tell there will probably be times I'd want the double, though probably
not nearly as often.

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/10/04

Irene
September 12th 03, 08:26 PM
"Circe" > wrote in message news:<a428b.24956$n94.8714@fed1read04>...
> "Sophie" > wrote in message
> > Mine is a front/back one (Graco Duo or something). I have no idea how you
> > would get a side by side through doorways, through store racks, etc..
>
> I have a Graco side-by-side and it's not much wider than a standard
> wheelchair, so I can get anywhere with it that someone in a wheelchair can
> get (which may not be saying much, I admit). When getting through doorways,
> it definitely helps if there's someone to hold it open for me or it's one of
> the ones that self-props, but I can generally get through fine by myself if
> I open the door, prop it with my foot, and then back through (if you can
> envision that). I actually tend to do that a lot with a single stroller,
> too, though. Getting through racks in department stores can *definitely* be
> tricky with the double, though.

I have to say, when ds was born and I started using a stroller, "Thank
goodness for the ADA" became my mantra while I was out and about! I
already have problems getting through some stores with the single
stroller, so I know it will only get harder with a double. (But then,
shopping for clothes and such is annoying enough with a toddler that I
really don't do it much anymore!) I use the same method for going
through doorways already, too.

> Still, I really *liked* my side-by-side double, particularly when Aurora was
> an infant and Julian was 2. It was nice to be able to seat them without
> worrying about whether the seat they were in would recline in the event one
> or the other (or both) fell asleep. I know there are some tandems that
> recline in both positions, but I didn't see any when I was shopping for my
> double that didn't cost an absolute mint.

Well, ds can sleep in the non-reclining umbrella stroller, so that's
not a make or break for me, I think.

Irene

Circe
September 12th 03, 08:30 PM
"Irene" > wrote in message
> Well, ds can sleep in the non-reclining umbrella stroller, so that's
> not a make or break for me, I think.

Aurora could do so after she was 7-8 months old, too. Still, there was a
period where the reclining position was essential to her. And I always think
the kids look so uncomfortable slumped over sleeping in an umbrella
stroller, anyway, so I liked having the recline for Julian as well.
Nowadays, we mostly use the non-reclining umbrella strollers, and it's not a
problem, but every once in a while I cringe when a napping child's head
bangs against the stroller rails going over a bump.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)
See us at http://photos.yahoo.com/guavaln

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

*Hunee*
September 12th 03, 11:49 PM
Sophie > wrote in message

> > Thats exactly what I'm thinking of doing now that Sophie is getting
bigger
> > and stronger. I have a Babylove tandem, the back seat sits a bit higher
> than
> > the front one so that the child in the back can see better. But the
front
> > seat only reclines a little bit, whereas the rear one lays down flat for
> > newborn. But Ally is getting so heavy thateven with the large swivel
> wheels
> > in front it is still becoming a challenge to push around.
> > --
> > *~*~*Trish*~*~*
> > Mum to 5 wonderful human beings.
> >

> My seats were even - good idea to make the back seat higher. Since mine
was
> flat it made sense later to keep the small one in front - so he could see
> without the bigger one blocking his view. Also when I did put #2 in the
> backseat when he was a bit bigger, he'd pull #1's hair - lol.
> --
> Sophie -
> TTC #4

Hehehe, thats what I'm worried about! :-)
As it is now I've had to move their carseats to opposite sides of the car,
Alyssa kept on biting Sophie's wee fingers.