PDA

View Full Version : Re: Getting a 6 Month on a Schedule

Stephanie S
July 8th 03, 08:44 PM
"MotherToMatthew" > wrote in message
om...
> Matthew is now 6 Month, and I belive this is right time to get him on
> a schedule. I have answer to his ever whim since birth, and I loved
> it. But now since he older and forumal feed, it's time he knows there
> a time and place for things.
>
> The problem is I don't know where to begin on schedule, his schedule
> is so disorganzied, that I don't know where to begin. He goes to sleep
> anywhere form 9-12M, gets up anywhere between 6-9am, and takes naps,
> god I don;t want to even go in to naps.
>
> I thought if some of you might give me your sample schedule and I
> might have some where to go on. I Know it's going to be hard at first,
> becuse he use to do it his away. It probley take a couple of weeks or
> longer, but I am welling to stick it out.
>
> Thanks a bunch,

In my opinion, a routine can be very beneficial. The child knows what to
expect. Also, DS tends to get better sleep when things are done more or less
at the same time. The whole sleep rhythm thing. I prefer to use the word
routine than schedule since schedule sounds to military to me. But having
one thing follow another is good. It does not matter WHAT the routine is as
long as everyone is comfortable. So you could just take a look at your son
and see what his patterns are. Be home mealtimes and nap times and go out
other times. We just followed the patterns that were set at daycare, which
he goes to 2 days per week. It seemed easier for us to mold our behavior
than vice versa.

Naomi Pardue
July 8th 03, 08:56 PM
>Babies don't
>> have 'whims' so when you are meeting his needs, you are indeeed, meeing his
>> needs NOT 'answering his whims'.

>Oh, c'mon, sure they have whims. Sam's recent whims have included

Sorry, I should have said "YOUNG babies don't have whims." The infant in
question is just 6 months old. Your son is almost a year. The difference
between those two ages is substantial, so our expectations too can be
substantial.

>I do find that Sam sleeps to sleep better if we schedule his
>naptimes at least a little

Right. Which means you decide to put him down when you think it's naptime. It
doesn't (I'm assuming) mean that you force him to stay in his crib, screaming
for 90 minutes, becuase the clock says it's naptime, even if he isn't tired and
has no interest in sleeping.
It is, as I've said, entirely possible to influence many babies onto rough
schedules, and there is no harm in doing so. (And, for some babies, as you note
here, it may be helpful if they themselves tend to ignore their own bodily
signals that tell them it's time to eat/sleep/be merry.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

OJ
July 8th 03, 11:18 PM
(MotherToMatthew) wrote in message >...
> Matthew is now 6 Month, and I belive this is right time to get him on
> a schedule. I have answer to his ever whim since birth, and I loved
> it. But now since he older and forumal feed, it's time he knows there
> a time and place for things.
>
> The problem is I don't know where to begin on schedule, his schedule
> is so disorganzied, that I don't know where to begin. He goes to sleep
> anywhere form 9-12M, gets up anywhere between 6-9am, and takes naps,
> god I don;t want to even go in to naps.
>
> I thought if some of you might give me your sample schedule and I
> might have some where to go on. I Know it's going to be hard at first,
> becuse he use to do it his away. It probley take a couple of weeks or
> longer, but I am welling to stick it out.
>
> Thanks a bunch,

Hi,

My daughter is 11 months, but around 6 mos she was pretty much the same.

7:30: wake up / feeding
10:00 snack (6 mos - rice cereal - 11 mos. bananas/cheerios)
10:30 nap
12:00 wake up - lunch (6 mos. feeding - 11 mos. turkey, cheese, etc.)
2:30 feeding
4:00 (6 mos. feeding (I think))
4:15 nap
6:00 wake up - dinner (6 mos. baby food - 11 mos. whatever we have)
7:30 feeding
8:00 sleep time

Days are able to be planned, parents and baby are happy. Schedule works for us.

oj