PDA

View Full Version : hemorrhoids w/2nd birth

Lila Verde
September 11th 03, 06:19 PM
Hello--

I'm Lila, due October 24. I mostly lurk but occasionally post.

As the birth of my second child approaches, the thing I'm most
apprehensive about (I'm only partly joking) a repeat of the
hemorrhoids I had with DS. I never even pushed (I had a c/s for fetal
distress) and I had terrible hemorrhoids after the birth. The
pain/discomfort from them was *much* worse than from the c/s incision.

For those of you who've had 2 (or more) children, am I doomed to
another bout of bad 'roids?

Thanks

Lila
EDD 10/24/03

LSU Grad of '89
September 12th 03, 05:35 AM
Did they make you take a bunch of Senikote (gentle laxative) after the CS ?

Mine did and I took it and I blamed it for the 5 day delay in my milk coming
in.

I also drank a ton of water after delivery to try and make it easier for the
milk to come in, and maybe that saved me from getting bad 'roids ?

I will probably get corrected by the hemorrhoid police lurking, but I was of
the opinion that roids were caused in part by pushing or at least poor
technique in pushing. Something like that. But your case proves
otherwise....thanks for the warning - I will be certain to drink lots of
water next time and hopefully avoid the Senikote . They did tell me that I
would be constipated after the CS.....it would be interesting to know why.

L.

"Lila Verde" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello--
>
> I'm Lila, due October 24. I mostly lurk but occasionally post.
>
> As the birth of my second child approaches, the thing I'm most
> apprehensive about (I'm only partly joking) a repeat of the
> hemorrhoids I had with DS. I never even pushed (I had a c/s for fetal
> distress) and I had terrible hemorrhoids after the birth. The
> pain/discomfort from them was *much* worse than from the c/s incision.
>
> For those of you who've had 2 (or more) children, am I doomed to
> another bout of bad 'roids?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lila
> EDD 10/24/03

Robin T.
September 12th 03, 03:02 PM
LSU Grad of '89 wrote:

> They
> did tell me that I would be constipated after the CS.....it would be
> interesting to know why.
>
> L.

I didn't have a c-section, but I have had major abdominal surgery. At that
time I was told that when you play around with the bowels, it "shocks" them,
and it will take a few days for them to get back on track.

Robin T.
mom to Katherine, 12/25/00

Lila Verde
September 12th 03, 05:44 PM
"LSU Grad of '89" > wrote

> Did they make you take a bunch of Senikote (gentle laxative) after the CS ?
>
> Mine did and I took it and I blamed it for the 5 day delay in my milk coming
> in.
>
> I also drank a ton of water after delivery to try and make it easier for the
> milk to come in, and maybe that saved me from getting bad 'roids ?
>
> I will probably get corrected by the hemorrhoid police lurking, but I was of
> the opinion that roids were caused in part by pushing or at least poor
> technique in pushing. Something like that. But your case proves
> otherwise....thanks for the warning - I will be certain to drink lots of
> water next time and hopefully avoid the Senikote . They did tell me that I
> would be constipated after the CS.....it would be interesting to know why.
>
> L.

Hmm, they did give me a stool softener (I can't remember the name)
after the c/s. My milk came in three days after the birth, which
seems a "normal" amount of time, so I don't know if the stool softener
affected that.

I'm not sure drinking a lot of water afterwards would have helped in
my case. The hemorrhoids were there quite soon after the birth and
were not the result of post c/s constipation. The midwife said it was
just the pressure of labor that caused them.

Lila

Iuil
September 12th 03, 09:57 PM
"Sophie" wrote

> I assumed the same thing about hemorrhoids though - that it was from
> pushing. I don't know anyone personally who got them if they had a
> c-section. Interesting.

<raises hand>

The nurse helpfully pointed out that I had a "huge" one when examining the
day after. It took *months* for that bugger to finally disappear.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

H Schinske
September 16th 03, 06:37 PM
>"Sophie" wrote
>>
>> I assumed the same thing about hemorrhoids though - that it was from
>> pushing. I don't know anyone personally who got them if they had a
>> c-section. Interesting.

I had them during pregnancy (or old ones were re-activated) just from the
pressure of the babies. The constipation after surgery (which by the way is
often made worse by the morphine) didn't help matters.

--Helen

Daye
September 16th 03, 11:20 PM
Sorry to piggyback...

>>"Sophie" wrote
>>>
>>> I assumed the same thing about hemorrhoids though - that it was from
>>> pushing. I don't know anyone personally who got them if they had a
>>> c-section. Interesting.

I got them after a c-section. I hated them.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan