PDA

View Full Version : paint type software for toddlers

RobR
May 13th 06, 04:18 PM
My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or something.

Thanks!

Jamie Clark
May 13th 06, 06:06 PM
RobR wrote:
> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
> something.
> Thanks!

I'm not sure of specific software, but my daughter Taylor (3.25) has had
lots of fun at http://pbskids.org/dragontales/index_sw.html It only took a
few times of visiting the site for her to learn how to navigate it mostly on
her own, play various games, and use the mouse. One of the activities
includes "coloring" on the computer, clicking on a pallet of colors, and
then clicking on the blank outline of various scenes, and painting that way.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Caledonia
May 13th 06, 06:26 PM
RobR wrote:
> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or something.
>
> Thanks!

jumpstart.com --> go to Toddlertown

Caledonia

RobR
May 13th 06, 07:40 PM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message . ..
> RobR wrote:
>> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
>> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
>> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
>> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
>> something.
>> Thanks!
>
> I'm not sure of specific software, but my daughter Taylor (3.25) has had lots of fun at
> http://pbskids.org/dragontales/index_sw.html It only took a few times of visiting the site for her to learn how to navigate it
> mostly on her own, play various games, and use the mouse. One of the activities includes "coloring" on the computer, clicking on
> a pallet of colors, and then clicking on the blank outline of various scenes, and painting that way.
> --
>
> Jamie
> Earth Angels:
> Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
> Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Thanks, but that's definitely too advanced for our 15 month old. He doesn't really
understand the mouse other than to move it around. I'll bookmark it for when he's
a bit older though.

RobR
May 13th 06, 07:43 PM
"Caledonia" > wrote in message ups.com...

> RobR wrote:
>> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
>> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
>> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
>> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or something.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> jumpstart.com --> go to Toddlertown
>
> Caledonia

again thanks, but he doesn't understand the clicking or purposly moving the mouse
aspect (he's 15 months). i was just looking for something that as he moved the mouse around
it would draw on the screen and if he unintentionally clicked, it changed to a new color or
had some response that eventually he might associate with the clicking.

Jamie Clark
May 13th 06, 08:04 PM
RobR wrote:
> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> RobR wrote:
>>> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
>>> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
>>> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
>>> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
>>> something.
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> I'm not sure of specific software, but my daughter Taylor (3.25) has
>> had lots of fun at http://pbskids.org/dragontales/index_sw.html It
>> only took a few times of visiting the site for her to learn how to
>> navigate it mostly on her own, play various games, and use the
>> mouse. One of the activities includes "coloring" on the computer,
>> clicking on a pallet of colors, and then clicking on the blank
>> outline of various scenes, and painting that way. -- Jamie
>> Earth Angels:
>> Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
>> Addison Grace, 9/30/04
>>

> Thanks, but that's definitely too advanced for our 15 month old. He
> doesn't really understand the mouse other than to move it around. I'll
> bookmark it
> for when he's a bit older though.

Gotcha. I couldn't remember how old the bub was. There may not be anything
like you are thinking. I'd stick to a crayon and paper or fingerpaints,
myself!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Welches
May 13th 06, 09:26 PM
"RobR" > wrote in message
> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
> something.
>
> Thanks!

Try letting him use the keyboard and type in word. Large letters, in a fun
colour. #1 learnt her letters by the time she was 2 doing that.
Alternatively there's a Disney toddler Winnie the Pooh which has popping
balloons by holding the mouse over them. (you can click on them to pop them
but hovering for long enough has the same effect)
Debbie

Jamie Clark
May 14th 06, 04:04 AM
RobR wrote:
> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
>> RobR wrote:
>>> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Thanks, but that's definitely too advanced for our 15 month old. He
>>> doesn't really understand the mouse other than to move it around. I'll
>>> bookmark it for when he's a bit older though.
>>
>> Gotcha. I couldn't remember how old the bub was. There may not be
>> anything like you are thinking. I'd stick to a crayon and paper or
>> fingerpaints, myself! --
>>

> He does great at those, but I work from home a lot and he'll sit on
> my lap and want to play with the mouse, so I was just trying to come up
> with
> something more interesting for him than screwing up my programs :).

I got a cute software progam called Maddie that someone sent me, that allows
little fingers to type at random and not do any harm. Basically, whatever
key the "person" hits on the keyboard displays on the screen in a large
graphic font. It won't teach your son to mouse, but it might amuse him for
a few minutes. If you want me to e-mail it to you, I'd be happy to. Just
e-mail me offlist. : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Jamie Clark
May 14th 06, 04:05 AM
Welches wrote:
> "RobR" > wrote in message
>> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
>> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
>> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
>> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
>> something.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Try letting him use the keyboard and type in word. Large letters, in
> a fun colour. #1 learnt her letters by the time she was 2 doing that.
> Alternatively there's a Disney toddler Winnie the Pooh which has
> popping balloons by holding the mouse over them. (you can click on
> them to pop them but hovering for long enough has the same effect)
> Debbie

We let Taylor type all the time, using Word. We let her pick what color
font she wants, and we make the size up in the 70's. She loves to type, but
also likes us to spell words for her -- Mama, Dada, Nana, Robert, etc!

The Disney software sounds cute!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Suzanne S
May 14th 06, 09:45 AM
We have Reader Rabbit Toddler for our little ones - they love it. They can
play the games with keypresses only, or by moving the mouse with no clicking
needed, except to leave the game. There is a colouring pages game where a
black and white image is coloured in by moving the mouse around (no
clicking). It sounds like the kind of thing you are after.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004VU9N/qid=1147596118/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-2708436-0789403

Our kids have all loved it from a young age. It says that it is from18mths
to 3 years, but I remember using it with DD1 when she was younger than that,
and she still loves it now (almost 6!).

Hope this helps,

Suzanne

"RobR" > wrote in message
> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
> something.
>
> Thanks!

Patrick & Carolina
May 14th 06, 09:48 AM
Thank you for those cute sites...... We loved them!

Carolina
Ricardo 24-03-2003
Baby 14-09-2006

"RobR" > schreef in bericht

> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
>> RobR wrote:
>>> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Thanks, but that's definitely too advanced for our 15 month old. He
>>> doesn't really understand the mouse other than to move it around. I'll
>>> bookmark it
>>> for when he's a bit older though.
>>
>> Gotcha. I couldn't remember how old the bub was. There may not be
>> anything like you are thinking. I'd stick to a crayon and paper or
>> fingerpaints, myself!
>> --
>>

> He does great at those, but I work from home a lot and he'll sit on my lap
> and want to play with the mouse, so I was just trying to come up with
> something more interesting for him than screwing up my programs :).

Claire
May 14th 06, 12:30 PM
Another site that you may appreciate is the one from the bbc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies

Our three year old loves a lot of the games and actvities on this site.

Theres some fun songs and games to play together with your babies too.

Check out the animal alphabet song. Our DS used to love clapping along
to this when he was about 10 months old :)

Claire

--
Claire

Nina Pretty Ballerina
May 14th 06, 01:59 PM
www.thewiggles.com.au

go to lets play

"RobR" > wrote in message
> My toddler likes playing with the mouse on my computer. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has seen a "paint" type of program that doesn't
> require holding down a button while moving the mouse. Even better
> if it's kid oriented where clicking the button changes the color or
> something.
>
> Thanks!

Welches
May 14th 06, 09:41 PM
"Claire" > wrote in message

> Another site that you may appreciate is the one from the bbc.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies
>
> Our three year old loves a lot of the games and actvities on this site.
>

> Theres some fun songs and games to play together with your babies too.
>

> Check out the animal alphabet song. Our DS used to love clapping along
> to this when he was about 10 months old :)

And the count the teletubbies one too! (you can click the mouse or use the
space key)
Debbie

Anne Rogers
May 14th 06, 11:10 PM
> He does great at those, but I work from home a lot and he'll sit on my lap
> and want to play with the mouse, so I was just trying to come up with
> something more interesting for him than screwing up my programs :).

do you know java at all?

I can, but haven't for a while, but in the old days when I taught it, one of
the problems I would set was writing a simple drawing program, it was in
normal form, i.e. started drawing when a button was clicked, but it would
have been totally possible to do it when the mouse was moved and the
response to a button being clicked being something different.

I don't have time to have a play right now, but it may be something I'll do
once I finish this block of teaching.

Anne

RobR
May 16th 06, 12:00 AM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message ...
>> He does great at those, but I work from home a lot and he'll sit on my lap
>> and want to play with the mouse, so I was just trying to come up with
>> something more interesting for him than screwing up my programs :).
>
> do you know java at all?
>
> I can, but haven't for a while, but in the old days when I taught it, one of the problems I would set was writing a simple drawing
> program, it was in normal form, i.e. started drawing when a button was clicked, but it would have been totally possible to do it
> when the mouse was moved and the response to a button being clicked being something different.
>
> I don't have time to have a play right now, but it may be something I'll do once I finish this block of teaching.
>
> Anne

Hey definitely let me know if you end up whipping something up, that would be
fantastic :). When it comes to java, I'm pretty clueless, I haven't done any coding
in almost 15 years and that was for DEC VAX/VMS mainframes.