PDA

View Full Version : Normal or not anymore

April & Joanna
May 14th 06, 05:42 PM
Hi

I know this is a little OT because its not really to do with pregnancy but I
dont really know who else to ask apart from my doctor and this has relevence
to my doctor.

What it is, is my periods, I started my periods on the 21st April, it
started as normal spotting and cramps, got heaver into full swing period,
lasted 2 -3 days heavy then lightened, started spotting again, stopped for
about a day or two, started spotting and cramps, had a heavy day then a few
days off spotting, and this has basically been going on since the 21st
April, I started spotting again the other day after a few days off and it
has again got heavy and cramps and I am wondering now if I should be going
to the doctor or if this is still normal after pregnancy. Joanna is now 3
months old, the 21st April was my 1st period after pregnancy and I am on the
depo-provera but the depo usually stops my periods. Any advice greatly
appritiated, I am going to the docs tommorow morning anyway as I have got to
get another script for my NRT patches but don't want to mention periods if
its kinda normal because I always feel like a major hypocondriate if I have
to go to the doctors. I think that comes down to my mother as she must go to
the docs at least 5 days a week for a sore finger or less. Ok a little over
the top there but not far off the reality, she will call an ambulance if she
has a sore joint to go to A and E to see if she has broken a bone and before
you ask yes I have told her off about this to no luck. I just wish one day
the ambulance service will start charging because then people like her will
think twice. Anyway I think its because of my mum I don't like to bother the
doc unless absolutly neccersarry.

Thanks again

April
One week, three days, 8 hours, 12 minutes and 52 seconds. 320 cigarettes not
smoked, saving £79.83. Life saved: 1 day, 2 hours, 40 minutes.

Anne Rogers
May 14th 06, 07:00 PM
Hi April, sorry I don't know much about the periods, I suppose it's just
worth remembering that everything is so mucked up by pregnancy that wierd
things happen! I don't think I ever had a normal cycle between the two
pregnancies. There is no harm in asking your GP, just say "since I am here,
could I ask you...."

Well done on the not smoking, I thought you had stopped before? But, on
average it does take multiple attempts to stop, I'm crossing my fingers this
is the one for you.

As for calling ambulances, it is difficult to know, my DH is the opposite to
your mother, he just wouldn't do it, once, I fell down the stairs, literally
from top to bottom, having blacked out at the top, I only went in an
ambulance because DH was actually on the phone to my GP at the time saying I
had been blacking out and what should he do, then he heard a crash and
realised I was at the bottom of the stairs and the doc said but the phone
down and dial 999. If he hadn't, I'm sure I'd have been manhandled into a
taxi or something (we had a car, but DH hadn't got his license at the time).

Anne

Welches
May 14th 06, 09:44 PM
"April & Joanna" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I know this is a little OT because its not really to do with pregnancy but
> I dont really know who else to ask apart from my doctor and this has
> relevence to my doctor.
>
> What it is, is my periods, I started my periods on the 21st April, it
> started as normal spotting and cramps, got heaver into full swing period,
> lasted 2 -3 days heavy then lightened, started spotting again, stopped for
> about a day or two, started spotting and cramps, had a heavy day then a
> few days off spotting, and this has basically been going on since the 21st
> April, I started spotting again the other day after a few days off and it
> has again got heavy and cramps and I am wondering now if I should be going
> to the doctor or if this is still normal after pregnancy. Joanna is now 3
> months old, the 21st April was my 1st period after pregnancy and I am on
> the depo-provera but the depo usually stops my periods. Any advice greatly
> appritiated, I am going to the docs tommorow morning anyway as I have got
> to get another script for my NRT patches but don't want to mention periods
> if its kinda normal because I always feel like a major hypocondriate if I
> have to go to the doctors. I think that comes down to my mother as she
> must go to the docs at least 5 days a week for a sore finger or less. Ok a
> little over the top there but not far off the reality, she will call an
> ambulance if she has a sore joint to go to A and E to see if she has
> broken a bone and before you ask yes I have told her off about this to no
> luck. I just wish one day the ambulance service will start charging
> because then people like her will think twice. Anyway I think its because
> of my mum I don't like to bother the doc unless absolutly neccersarry.

If you're at the doctors then I would mention it. It's quite normal to be
asking "should this happen after pregnancy" type questions. I know I had a
few even after #2.
I know how you feel about not wanting to bother the gp. I've doctors in the
family and hear stories about the person who phones up at 2am to say they've
had a slight pain in their toe since they stubbed it 2 weeks ago... and you
always wonder whether you're going to be one of those people they tell
stories about!
But the doctors in the family also say that they don't mind anyone (even
hypocondriacs) asking about children or when pregnant/after pregnancy!
They may well want to do a smear if you're not up to date (yuck!). I think
that what you're describing might be normal, but it is worth checking.
Debbie

Welches
May 14th 06, 09:47 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> Hi April, sorry I don't know much about the periods, I suppose it's just
> worth remembering that everything is so mucked up by pregnancy that wierd
> things happen! I don't think I ever had a normal cycle between the two
> pregnancies. There is no harm in asking your GP, just say "since I am
> here, could I ask you...."
>
> Well done on the not smoking, I thought you had stopped before? But, on
> average it does take multiple attempts to stop, I'm crossing my fingers
> this is the one for you.
>
> As for calling ambulances, it is difficult to know, my DH is the opposite
> to your mother, he just wouldn't do it, once, I fell down the stairs,
> literally from top to bottom, having blacked out at the top, I only went
> in an ambulance because DH was actually on the phone to my GP at the time
> saying I had been blacking out and what should he do, then he heard a
> crash and realised I was at the bottom of the stairs and the doc said but
> the phone down and dial 999. If he hadn't, I'm sure I'd have been
> manhandled into a taxi or something (we had a car, but DH hadn't got his
> license at the time).
Lol. Dh is the same! I never ask him now his opinion on the children's
conditions when ill/injured because he'll always say it's okay! But I don't
think if we'd have been in that situation he'd have got a taxi (too
expensive)-it would have been the bus for us!
Debbie (who went into hospital to have #1 by bus-clutching the tens machine
and hoping that we didn't hit any of the speed bumps at the same time as a
contraction-but the bus driver sure drove carefully)

Anne Rogers
May 14th 06, 10:56 PM
> I know how you feel about not wanting to bother the gp. I've doctors in
> the family and hear stories about the person who phones up at 2am to say
> they've had a slight pain in their toe since they stubbed it 2 weeks
> ago... and you always wonder whether you're going to be one of those
> people they tell stories about!

the emergency doctor situation is a nightmare, round here, we know have a
PCT run service rather than GPs doing there own, they have a surgery, so
then on a saturday morning it seems that people just treat is as an
opportunity to go to the doctor at a more convenient time. They also are
very very unwilling to do home visits, I know I've been dragged into the out
of ours surgery when had I called my own doctor during the day, he would
have done a home visit, or a phone consult and left a prescription at
reception if necessary. Because many people do use it in the wrong way, it
then ends up with the GPs not having the mindset of giving emergency
treatment, for example, a few times over the past year and usually in the
middle of the night, I've had a horrendous flare up of pain and they've
rarely looked at treating the next few hours, when really that is all I need
to know, what can I do to survive until this acute flare up settles, not
what medication I need to be on in the long term.

Oh dear this has turned into a rant! But I'm just very aware that there is
little help out there if you have an acute flare up of a chronic condition.

Anne