PDA

View Full Version : Re: 2nd OB Exam ~ A waste of time??

Sophie
September 12th 03, 05:06 PM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> Okay, I realize that I'm coming up on my 40th birthday and that I'm an
> adult. I've been educated and worked in very prestigious positions. I
held
> large meetings, given speeches, hosted meet and greets with up to 300
> people, acted on radio and television......etc...
>
> So, why in the world would I select my OB exams to suddenly acted immature
> by breaking into laughter???
>
> My first exam as my OB was trying to determine the position of the baby, I
> started laughing so I clamped down on her hand. ARGH!
>
> This time, she was trying to get the Doppler to read a heartbeat and all I
> could do was laugh and laugh. So, I didn't get to hear anything.
>
> At my 3rd OB Exam on the 9th of October, we will try again. Until then,
I'm
> going to have a required blood test. Also at that time we are going to
> schedule the amnio test. God forbid I should start to laugh then!!!
>
> What happens to me???
>
> ~Carol Ann

I used to do that as a teenager. I would break into absolute *hysterics*
when I was at the Drs. I just figured it was nerves. I have laughed too
when they're trying to use the doppler :)

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Shannon
September 12th 03, 08:48 PM
Probably acting this way from being nervous and from excitement. Although
you obviously are someone who can handle alot of pressure this is different
then shaking hands and giving speeches because this is your baby and your
body. I wouldn't say you are acting immature I would say you are just really
happy and nervous. Good Luck!
Shannon
due today

Carol Ann
September 13th 03, 04:56 PM
:: Probably acting this way from being nervous and from excitement. Although
:: you obviously are someone who can handle alot of pressure this is
different
:: then shaking hands and giving speeches because this is your baby and your
:: body. I wouldn't say you are acting immature I would say you are just
really
:: happy and nervous. Good Luck!

Thank you!

:: Shannon
:: due today

Wahoo! Congratulations!!

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Dagny
September 13th 03, 05:36 PM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> Okay, I realize that I'm coming up on my 40th birthday and that I'm an
> adult. I've been educated and worked in very prestigious positions. I
held
> large meetings, given speeches, hosted meet and greets with up to 300
> people, acted on radio and television......etc...
>
> So, why in the world would I select my OB exams to suddenly acted immature
> by breaking into laughter???
>
> My first exam as my OB was trying to determine the position of the baby, I
> started laughing so I clamped down on her hand. ARGH!
>
> This time, she was trying to get the Doppler to read a heartbeat and all I
> could do was laugh and laugh. So, I didn't get to hear anything.
>
> At my 3rd OB Exam on the 9th of October, we will try again. Until then,
I'm
> going to have a required blood test. Also at that time we are going to
> schedule the amnio test. God forbid I should start to laugh then!!!
>
> What happens to me???

Oh you just get the sillies.

You know, other than getting your initial blood work done, the main point of
these first-trimester appointments is to answer any questions you have -- so
I know where you are coming from, but don't see it as a waste of time if you
can't get a heartbeat etc. at a visit! It isn't necessary and it doesn't
help the baby, at least not at this point. But it's nice to have the time
to spend with your care provider to ask questions. I typically have to
bring a list/agenda or I can't remember at the appt -- pregnancy brain.

I guess you're going to be one of the (probably) majority? that LOVE to hear
their baby's heartbeat! What's wrong with me? It doesn't do anything for
me. The midwife always hands me the fetoscope earpieces, and I listen, but
I just never get the thrill. It would be different if movement suddenly
stopped of course. I wasn't into it early on because Doppler and ultrasound
generally make me uncomfortable, and by the time the fetoscope picked it up,
the baby was moving around like gangbusters.

Cheers,

-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Sophie
September 13th 03, 06:18 PM
> I guess you're going to be one of the (probably) majority? that LOVE to
hear
> their baby's heartbeat! What's wrong with me? It doesn't do anything for
> me. The midwife always hands me the fetoscope earpieces, and I listen,
but
> I just never get the thrill. It would be different if movement suddenly
> stopped of course. I wasn't into it early on because Doppler and
ultrasound
> generally make me uncomfortable, and by the time the fetoscope picked it
up,
> the baby was moving around like gangbusters.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Dagny
> EDD 10/6/03

For some, movement is not enough. My daughter moved around perfectly fine.
Hearing the heartbeat let us know something was wrong. Movement didn't tell
us that.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Daye
September 13th 03, 10:57 PM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:56:39 GMT, "Carol Ann"
> wrote:

>What happens to me???

I would say pregnant and hormonal. I have laughed at the most
inappropriate moments, and commercials have made me cry.

Anything weird and I say it is probably my hormones.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Daye
September 13th 03, 10:59 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:36:55 GMT, "Dagny" > wrote:

>The midwife always hands me the fetoscope earpieces, and I listen, but
>I just never get the thrill.

Actually, I don't like hearing the sound of a baby's heartbeat. It
reminds me of being sick with pre-eclampsia. They constantly
monitored DD when I was going through it all. The sound alone makes
me flashback to what I was feeling and going through during that time.
I don't like it.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
"Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

Dagny
September 14th 03, 02:32 AM
"Sophie" > wrote in message

> > I guess you're going to be one of the (probably) majority? that LOVE to
> hear
> > their baby's heartbeat! What's wrong with me? It doesn't do anything
for
> > me. The midwife always hands me the fetoscope earpieces, and I listen,
> but
> > I just never get the thrill. It would be different if movement suddenly
> > stopped of course. I wasn't into it early on because Doppler and
> ultrasound
> > generally make me uncomfortable, and by the time the fetoscope picked it
> up,
> > the baby was moving around like gangbusters.
>

> For some, movement is not enough. My daughter moved around perfectly
fine.
> Hearing the heartbeat let us know something was wrong. Movement didn't
tell
> us that.

Once the baby crossed the limits of viability outside the womb, then I did
understand caregivers wanting to hear the quality and rate of the heartbeat,
although it wasn't done at each visit. I wasn't implying it had no value
ever, just not early on. In the first trimester, it doesn't have much
medical value for the baby, but it can indicate probability of whether the
pregnancy will continue. I just am not charmed by the heartbeat myself as a
recreational event. Did you listen to your baby's heartbeat on your own at
home and notice something was wrong?

Ericka Kammerer
September 14th 03, 10:28 PM
Carol Ann wrote:

> Do keep us posted! I think my previous lack of interest in children, babies
> and anything relating to the raising of them has caught up with me! I spent
> so much time not paying attention to how my friends were raising their
> children. I am scared I'll do something wrong.
>
> Amazing how much education one can get and still not know what to do. I
> literally haven't touched a diaper in more than 20 years....and that was
> only once! I also once dropped a baby, which could be where my fear comes
> from. But, nonetheless, I can't wait to have one and I promise to do what I
> can to be the best mother possible!!

I think these feelings are not uncommon for those who
have waited a while to have babies. I know that it's a bit
of a stereotype that isn't true of all women in this situation,
but I've met several who fit the profile. I knew one woman
who had her first baby around 42. She was very successful
in a demanding, exacting profession and I think she was
very used to being in control. When she became a mother,
she approached it the same way she'd approached her career.
Her pregnancy and birth involved a great deal of testing
and interventions (she believed that more testing and
more technology were better in her situation, so she
chose that route and was happy with it). What really
struck me was that I saw her with this notebook one day
and I asked her what it was for. She had this notebook
and had recorded every single bit of information about her
baby since his birth! She had every diaper (and its
contents), every feeding (how much, when, how long), every
nap (when, how long, where), every visit or outing, every
sniffle--you name it, it was in there! I remember
wondering where on earth she had time to *parent* and
enjoy her baby with all that recording! ;-)
I'm not saying that you would do anything like that,
but I do think it bears thinking about. I think we all want
to be the best mothers we can be, and we all want the best
for our children. But I think that it's important to
manage expectations somewhat. Life without kids just
isn't all that controllable. If you start with lots of
expectations of your child and of yourself, you can get
into a bind where all those expectations prevent you from
reaction to the situations you *have*, rather than the
situations you *expect*. They can make you feel like a
terrible mother because you can't live up to the expectations
you set for yourself. They can make new parenting a
very tough road.
I'm not saying anyone should set themselves up
with really low expectations and say that parenting
choices don't matter, but it helps a lot to be kind to
yourself and realize that as long as you're loving and
meeting your baby's needs, you *are* doing what you need
to do, even if it doesn't look like what you expected.
Every toy doesn't have to be educational, every environment
doesn't have to be perfectly stimulating, everything
doesn't have to be by the books. Babies will tell you
what they need, and all you have to do is respond. I
think that's one of the blissful things about babies.
You don't have to worry about whether it's good for them
to have what they want--they only want what they need,
so you can just respond. It's your last chance for
reactive parenting, so revel in it! They don't care
if you have perfect technique bathing them. They don't
care if their clothes and hair are perfect. They don't
care whether you got a shower that morning. They don't
care about much as long as they're fed, warm, dry, and
loved. Later you'll have to be much more proactive about
parenting and that'll keep you more on your toes,
but in the early months you can just relax and enjoy.
I love that time, and think it's a shame to waste a single
moment fretting about doing it "just right."

Best wishes,
Ericka

Carol Ann
September 17th 03, 04:29 PM
Ericka Kammerer > wrote in message
> [...]
> doesn't have to be by the books. Babies will tell you
> what they need, and all you have to do is respond. I
> think that's one of the blissful things about babies.
> You don't have to worry about whether it's good for them
> to have what they want--they only want what they need,
> so you can just respond. It's your last chance for
> reactive parenting, so revel in it! They don't care
> if you have perfect technique bathing them. They don't
> care if their clothes and hair are perfect. They don't
> care whether you got a shower that morning. They don't
> care about much as long as they're fed, warm, dry, and
> loved. Later you'll have to be much more proactive about
> parenting and that'll keep you more on your toes,
> but in the early months you can just relax and enjoy.
> I love that time, and think it's a shame to waste a single
> moment fretting about doing it "just right."

Hi, Ericka! I couldn't snip a bit of your post because it was so well said.
Thank you so much for your great advice!!!

You must be a fantastic mom.

~Carol Ann

Ericka Kammerer
September 17th 03, 05:10 PM
Carol Ann wrote:

> Hi, Ericka! I couldn't snip a bit of your post because it was so well said.
> Thank you so much for your great advice!!!

Awww, thanks--I hope it helps some!

> You must be a fantastic mom.

Well, that depends on whether you catch me on a good
mommy day or a bad mommy day ;-) And believe me, there are
some bad mommy days around here! Thank goodness kids are
resilient ;-)

Take care,
Ericka