PDA

View Full Version : OT Baby Equipment Comparison website sites required

Mom2B
September 14th 03, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know of links to sites on the internet that does comparisons of
baby equipment like pushchairs/strollers, slings, Cribs, baby mattresses
etc.

I'm pregnant with #1 and I'd like to buy a few good things that will last me
for baby number 1 (and possibly more babies if we enjoy the first!). I'd
like to get minimum number of things at good quality - rather than getting
lots of things that will keep needing to be replaced/upgraded.

I'm not sure how to go about selecting these things. Are there some sort of
comparison charts that will help me choose the best products for me? I.e.
something that will compare/rate size, weight usability, price etc?

If nothing like this is available on the internet, how did you guys go about
doing research and selecting these products? I'm overwhelmed by choice!

Anika
EDD 12th Jan 2004.

Shelly
September 14th 03, 04:10 PM
Hi Anika,

epinions.com isn't just for baby equipment, but they do have user reviews of
quite a lot of baby equipment. You might want to start there...

Good luck!
--
Michelle
critter edd 3/14/04
"Mom2B" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of links to sites on the internet that does comparisons
of
> baby equipment like pushchairs/strollers, slings, Cribs, baby mattresses
> etc.
>
> I'm pregnant with #1 and I'd like to buy a few good things that will last
me
> for baby number 1 (and possibly more babies if we enjoy the first!). I'd
> like to get minimum number of things at good quality - rather than getting
> lots of things that will keep needing to be replaced/upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about selecting these things. Are there some sort
of
> comparison charts that will help me choose the best products for me? I.e.
> something that will compare/rate size, weight usability, price etc?
>
> If nothing like this is available on the internet, how did you guys go
about
> doing research and selecting these products? I'm overwhelmed by choice!
>
> Anika
> EDD 12th Jan 2004.

Pamela Perkins
September 14th 03, 05:49 PM
Also - consumerreports.com -but you have to be a member. oh, and i always
check babiesrus.com because there are customer reviews at least of the
products they sell...

"Mom2B" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of links to sites on the internet that does comparisons
of
> baby equipment like pushchairs/strollers, slings, Cribs, baby mattresses
> etc.
>
> I'm pregnant with #1 and I'd like to buy a few good things that will last
me
> for baby number 1 (and possibly more babies if we enjoy the first!). I'd
> like to get minimum number of things at good quality - rather than getting
> lots of things that will keep needing to be replaced/upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about selecting these things. Are there some sort
of
> comparison charts that will help me choose the best products for me? I.e.
> something that will compare/rate size, weight usability, price etc?
>
> If nothing like this is available on the internet, how did you guys go
about
> doing research and selecting these products? I'm overwhelmed by choice!
>
> Anika
> EDD 12th Jan 2004.

jjmoreta
September 14th 03, 07:37 PM
Mom2B wrote:
> Does anyone know of links to sites on the internet that does
> comparisons of baby equipment like pushchairs/strollers, slings,
> Cribs, baby mattresses etc.
>
> I'm pregnant with #1 and I'd like to buy a few good things that will
> last me for baby number 1 (and possibly more babies if we enjoy the
> first!). I'd like to get minimum number of things at good quality -
> rather than getting lots of things that will keep needing to be
> replaced/upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about selecting these things. Are there some
> sort of comparison charts that will help me choose the best products
> for me? I.e. something that will compare/rate size, weight usability,
> price etc?
>
> If nothing like this is available on the internet, how did you guys
> go about doing research and selecting these products? I'm overwhelmed
> by choice!
>
> Anika
> EDD 12th Jan 2004.

Consumer Reports did a book on their baby equipment tests. I've seen it
sold at my local Super Wal-Marts and I'm sure your local bookstore could
help you out too. I haven't purchased it myself since I've gotten almost
everything second-hand from my family. I think the "Girlfriends Guide"
series also has a book on baby products (I've also seen it at Super
Wal-Mart).

For research on items I haven't gotten, I've asked! I've gotten all sorts
of good advice here and on other web/telnet bulletin boards I read. I start
with the advice from mothers that have actually USED these items. I've done
Google searches and found pages of opinions on different items. I also like
some websites that sell these items. I'm not sure of all of them offhand,
but some of them (epinions.com, amazon.com I THINK) allow people to post
comments and reviews for each item. Those have come in handy. I love
Consumer Reports for buying most things and I've looked through some of
their issues at the library (they've done strollers and carseats within the
past year).

Its hard and I suggest keeping notes or printouts on what you find, but if
you try and tackle a different baby item each time you're on the computer,
you'll find your way in no time! That way you don't get overwhelmed,
either.

Another hint I have for you is to streamline. Make a list of everything you
think you need for this baby. You probably don't NEED half of it, in
reality, and you can probably find lower-cost substitutes for much of the
rest. Wipe warmers and toy sterilizers are cute and gadgety, but they may
not be necessary. I'm not even getting a changing table because I'll end up
changing the baby on the bed or the couch or the floor anyways. Dreft
smells nice, but Purex is dye and fragrance free and is much cheaper.

- Joanne
#1 - 31w5d

toypup
September 14th 03, 10:42 PM
"Mom2B" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of links to sites on the internet that does comparisons
of
> baby equipment like pushchairs/strollers, slings, Cribs, baby mattresses
> etc.
>
> I'm pregnant with #1 and I'd like to buy a few good things that will last
me
> for baby number 1 (and possibly more babies if we enjoy the first!). I'd
> like to get minimum number of things at good quality - rather than getting
> lots of things that will keep needing to be replaced/upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about selecting these things. Are there some sort
of
> comparison charts that will help me choose the best products for me? I.e.
> something that will compare/rate size, weight usability, price etc?
>
> If nothing like this is available on the internet, how did you guys go
about
> doing research and selecting these products? I'm overwhelmed by choice!

One thing I've done when shopping is to ask if they have a lot of returns on
a certain product compared to similar products. They have no reason to lie
unless they are on commision and I don't often shop where they are on
commision. I bought our baby monitor that way and was quite pleased with
the result.

Usenet Fan
September 14th 03, 10:54 PM
There is a book that does exactly this. It's called "Baby Bargains"
by Denise and Alan Fields. I checked it out of the local public
library, then decided that I was referencing it enough, I purchased a
copy (I got mine used, through www.abebooks.com, and the new one can
be found at most regular bookstores and Amazon).

They take their own experiences with two kids, combined with
information from Consumer Reports and the Consumer Products Safety
Commission, and opinions from other parents and they rate and
recommend products.

It helped me decide on a lot of items, including the super-important
ones like the infant car seat. And it gives information on
manufacturers, recalls and safety features.

They do have a website also, which has updates to materials in the
book.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/babybargains/default.html

Good luck! I know how much there is to research when shopping for
baby items and deciding what's truly necessary.

Robin
#1 EDD early December 2003

Wendy J.
September 14th 03, 11:29 PM
I believe amazon.com has good reviews but I don't know if it covers baby equipment.

"jjmoreta" > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> past year).
>
> Its hard and I suggest keeping notes or printouts on what you find, but if
> you try and tackle a different baby item each time you're on the computer,
> you'll find your way in no time! That way you don't get overwhelmed,
> either.
>
> Another hint I have for you is to streamline. Make a list of everything you
> think you need for this baby. You probably don't NEED half of it, in
> reality, and you can probably find lower-cost substitutes for much of the
> rest. Wipe warmers and toy sterilizers are cute and gadgety, but they may
> not be necessary. I'm not even getting a changing table because I'll end up
> changing the baby on the bed or the couch or the floor anyways. Dreft
> smells nice, but Purex is dye and fragrance free and is much cheaper.

New York Jen
September 15th 03, 07:01 AM
I was just going to recommend this book. They also have a site,
www.babybargainsbook.com .