PDA

View Full Version : Re: Advice needed ASAP -- not feeling quite right

aldee
May 22nd 06, 03:55 PM
"carlye" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I do not feel quite right today. I'm quite dizzy and light-headed,
> kind of like I've had way too much to drink (have to concentrate really
> hard on just one thing, "fuzzy" hearing, in addition to general
> unpleasant wooziness). I also am having some weird vision issues -- I
> can focus in on one thing, but then there are spots that I can't see,
> as if I had been looking at something bright and still have those black
> spots in my vision. Plus, I have a really bad headache.

This is how pre-eclampsia started for me, especially the bp - mine only went
up by ten points or so at first, but the spots in my eyes and dizziness and
general "unwell" feeling all came first. It could be as simple as a bad
headache, or it could be more serious. Get it checked out now.
Thinking of you,
Donna

xkatx
May 22nd 06, 04:16 PM
"aldee" > wrote in message
> "carlye" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I do not feel quite right today. I'm quite dizzy and light-headed,
>> kind of like I've had way too much to drink (have to concentrate really
>> hard on just one thing, "fuzzy" hearing, in addition to general
>> unpleasant wooziness). I also am having some weird vision issues -- I
>> can focus in on one thing, but then there are spots that I can't see,
>> as if I had been looking at something bright and still have those black
>> spots in my vision. Plus, I have a really bad headache.
>
> This is how pre-eclampsia started for me, especially the bp - mine only
> went
> up by ten points or so at first, but the spots in my eyes and dizziness
> and
> general "unwell" feeling all came first. It could be as simple as a bad
> headache, or it could be more serious. Get it checked out now.
> Thinking of you,
> Donna

What, exactly, is preeclampsia? What causes it? I've always heard of it,
but I've never really heard about it...
Sorry to kind of go OT, and I suppose I could always try to google it, but I
tend to find all the medical mumbo-jumbo to be more confusing that plain and
simple English...

Ericka Kammerer
May 22nd 06, 06:10 PM
xkatx wrote:

> What, exactly, is preeclampsia?

It's a syndrome typically characterized by elevated
blood pressure and proteinuria. It can be anywhere from mild
to severe. It can lead (sometimes quickly) to eclampsia and
dangerous seizures for mom. The only cure is delivery.

> What causes it?

They don't know for sure, but some very recent
research is pointing to some problems with the development
of the placenta due to some factors they're beginning to
get a bead on. With luck, we'll be able to detect it
earlier and with greater accuracy soon, and maybe even
do something about it.

Best wishes,
Ericka