PDA

View Full Version : Tell me these are Braxton Hicks

cjra
May 23rd 06, 09:37 PM
I *think* I understood the difference, and I'm 99.9% certain these are
not contractions but -

*I'm 34 weeks today
*baby has been head down and 'in position' for a month now, not that
that means anything....
*They don't feel like uterine contractions so much as my belly just
pulling out extra hard and my back aching worse than normal.
*Belly feels hard as a rock, but can still be 'indented" (midwife used
the rock w/indent vs. no indent to describe the difference in feeling
between BH and real contractions)
*When it does feel like what I think a contraction feels like, it looks
more like it's just the baby kicking (there has been a TON of movement
today)
*Often, but esp in the morning when I first get up, I feel like the
baby is pushing down on my pelvis
*Small amount of vaginal discharge, but very small
*I ate a sugary donut this am and 1 piece of greasy fried fish at
lunch, two things I *never* do because even non-pg they make me ill (I
was craving both for some reason, and was starving, now I regret it).

So...I'm thinking it's just indigestion + a bit of Braxton Hicks, which
I'm pretty sure I've been feeling often for a few weeks now. Sound
about right?

now I need to go eat a salad or something.

Zaz
May 24th 06, 12:05 AM
Hi,

My first pregnancy made me some sort of an expert (or so I think) on
finiding out what is a "real" contraction... Basically, with BH you can
walk around pretty much, albeit uncomfortably, and you can still talk. A
"real" contraction... well, you just can't talk at all because it takes your
breath away. That's how I differentiated the ones I had back then (in
retrospect), and that's how I know what I'm going through right now (at week
38) is just that: BH contractions.

Mind you, I did have an indigestion a while ago, and I started having very
strong contractions (at about 35 weeks). My midwife recommended hydrating
myself as much as possible (with pedialyte, of all things - berk), because
dehydrating can provoke early labour. So drink lots of fluids if you feel
your stomach and/or liver are acting up!

Best of luck,

--

Isabelle
Mlle C 2004-11-27

"cjra" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I *think* I understood the difference, and I'm 99.9% certain these are
> not contractions but -
>
> *I'm 34 weeks today
> *baby has been head down and 'in position' for a month now, not that
> that means anything....
> *They don't feel like uterine contractions so much as my belly just
> pulling out extra hard and my back aching worse than normal.
> *Belly feels hard as a rock, but can still be 'indented" (midwife used
> the rock w/indent vs. no indent to describe the difference in feeling
> between BH and real contractions)
> *When it does feel like what I think a contraction feels like, it looks
> more like it's just the baby kicking (there has been a TON of movement
> today)
> *Often, but esp in the morning when I first get up, I feel like the
> baby is pushing down on my pelvis
> *Small amount of vaginal discharge, but very small
> *I ate a sugary donut this am and 1 piece of greasy fried fish at
> lunch, two things I *never* do because even non-pg they make me ill (I
> was craving both for some reason, and was starving, now I regret it).
>
> So...I'm thinking it's just indigestion + a bit of Braxton Hicks, which
> I'm pretty sure I've been feeling often for a few weeks now. Sound
> about right?
>
> now I need to go eat a salad or something.

Jamie Clark
May 24th 06, 12:40 AM
cjra wrote:
> I *think* I understood the difference, and I'm 99.9% certain these are
> not contractions but -
>
> *I'm 34 weeks today
> *baby has been head down and 'in position' for a month now, not that
> that means anything....
> *They don't feel like uterine contractions so much as my belly just
> pulling out extra hard and my back aching worse than normal.
> *Belly feels hard as a rock, but can still be 'indented" (midwife used
> the rock w/indent vs. no indent to describe the difference in feeling
> between BH and real contractions)
> *When it does feel like what I think a contraction feels like, it
> looks more like it's just the baby kicking (there has been a TON of
> movement today)
> *Often, but esp in the morning when I first get up, I feel like the
> baby is pushing down on my pelvis
> *Small amount of vaginal discharge, but very small
> *I ate a sugary donut this am and 1 piece of greasy fried fish at
> lunch, two things I *never* do because even non-pg they make me ill (I
> was craving both for some reason, and was starving, now I regret it).
>
> So...I'm thinking it's just indigestion + a bit of Braxton Hicks,
> which I'm pretty sure I've been feeling often for a few weeks now.
> Sound about right?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Or they could be contractions... : ) I wonder if the babe is flipped around
and it's the inkling beginnings of back labor?

I guess you'll know, one way or another, in aout 6-10 weeks! LOL!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Anne Rogers
May 24th 06, 03:48 AM
sounds to me like BH, possibly triggered by an active baby and possibly made
worse by the food you ate.

I definitely had a lot less BH in my 2nd pregnancy, which was with a much
less active baby.

Like Zaz says, hydration, hydration, hydration, you can't say it enough
times, because it's something you have to think about constantly, if I
stopped paying attention to it, then bang a whole host of BH.

Labour can start feeling like BH, though the description your midwife is
giving is the difference between the long fibres of the uterus that run up
down contracting and the short fibres that run in loops around it.

I think the most important thing is not to worry, because worry will make
you feel worse and really there is little need to worry, 34 weeks is early,
but it's not that early, it's not ideal, but if the baby comes, it comes and
you deal with it, so try not to worry about what is unlikely to happen.

Cheers

Anne

cjra
May 24th 06, 02:23 PM
Thanks all.

I can say now they weren't real contractions, but likely a combo of BH
+ indigestion. NO MORE fried foods! I wonder how people manage who eat
that stuff regularly. I am certain now that was a huge factor as my
feet/ankles which until now how swelled no more than the usual when
it's 95F+ out and I'm walking a lot looked like I had lymphatic
filariasis last night. After elevating them all night they're *almost*
back to normal. And the BH pains just come and go.

As for hydrating, if I had any more water yesterday I'd be swimming....
I drink it as I need it, which is apparently a lot but yesterday even
moreso.