PDA

View Full Version : Name

EternityGrace
May 28th 06, 03:18 PM
Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.

Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
I...

Prophet Orion

I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
works...

If we have other kids they'll be

Zayne AleXander
and EmeraldGrace

--------

So, since I know most people can't stand that name, especially the
religious (which is silly, b/c people name their kids after prophets...
i'm just naming mine after all of them... :), they seem to be more
offended by it...

Think about it a few times, and picture a cute kid with a beaming face,
and eyes (blue); does it work once you get used to it?

Jamie Clark
May 28th 06, 10:04 PM
EternityGrace wrote:
> Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
> think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.
>
> Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
> I...
>
> Prophet Orion
>
> I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
> name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
> works...
>
> If we have other kids they'll be
>
> Zayne AleXander
> and EmeraldGrace
>
> --------
>
> So, since I know most people can't stand that name, especially the
> religious (which is silly, b/c people name their kids after
> prophets... i'm just naming mine after all of them... :), they seem
> to be more offended by it...
>
> Think about it a few times, and picture a cute kid with a beaming
> face, and eyes (blue); does it work once you get used to it?

If you and your fiance love it, then that's most of the battle. It is
unconventional, although so are you. Personally, I'm not a fan of the name
Prophet. I don't like the religious connotations. Not a fan is different
than "can't stand." Orion I don't love, but I have a lot more leeway for
middle names. : )

I like Zayne AleXander, but am not crazy about the spelling. Personally,
I'd do Zane Alexander, but I'm sure that's much too pedestrian and normal
for you.

Emerald Grace is pretty, but the first name is unsual enough. I can't tell
if it was a typo or on purpose that you smooshed them together. My guess is
that she would get that question all the time. I think it would be better
to name her Emerald Grace Lastname, but call her EmeraldGrace.

I sometimes think it's better with very different and unique first names, to
give the kid a more "normal" middle name. That way, if they get to a
stage/age where they don't want to be called Prophet, they can use their
middle name instead.

I have a friend who named her son Blue. At first I thought it was very odd,
but it has grown on me. He's an adorable little boy with HUGE blue eyes.
His middle name is Michael, so if he ever wants to fit in with the crowd
more, he can always use that instead.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Nina Pretty Ballerina
May 29th 06, 05:40 AM
"EternityGrace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
> think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.
>
> Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
> I...
>
> Prophet Orion
>
> I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
> name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
> works...
>
> If we have other kids they'll be
>
> Zayne AleXander
> and EmeraldGrace
>
> --------
>
> So, since I know most people can't stand that name, especially the
> religious (which is silly, b/c people name their kids after prophets...
> i'm just naming mine after all of them... :), they seem to be more
> offended by it...
>
> Think about it a few times, and picture a cute kid with a beaming face,
> and eyes (blue); does it work once you get used to it?

if you love it, well, why the discussion.

but given you have asked our opinon, yes, a gorgeous child of a non
conventional family, it could be really cool and all to have mum dad and
little Prophet, but by the same token, it could **** him to tears by the
time he gets to school, and wish he was called Matthew or Jack or something.

I think imposing unconventionless (!?) on a kid with something as
fundamental as his name is just as tough as imposing that he follows a
particular path in life, and i wouldnt do it. My kids have fairly standard
names, with standard spelling.

i like Zane and Alexander and Emerald and Grace. Why not call this kid Zane
or Alexander and see how you feel down the track for a subsequetn babe and
call him Prophet instead?

Good luck with whatever happens

christine (std name!)

carlye
May 29th 06, 06:24 PM
I actually kinda like it. I will agree there are potential religious
connotations, but those exist with many other names of varying
popularity.

I think in this day and age, it's hard to pick a REALLY off-the-wall
name that will actually scar a child. I mean, look at the recent
celebrity baby names. Or, look more local than that. When I look at
my local hospital's (and I'm in the conservative, white bread,
Christian midwest) nursery website, I don't see a single Thomas or
Matthew -- just glancing, I see boys named Jerhyn, Ranon, Emmitt,
Connor, etc... Even the more "common" names aren't -that- common, and
most tend to be spelled in a novel way.

If you love it, go for it. Some people harassed us tremendously when
we named DD "Afton," and I know if we stick with "Hale" for DS, I'll
likewise get raised eyebrows, but come on -- once that baby comes,
that's his name, and it wouldn't make sense for him to be named
anything else!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Engram
May 30th 06, 12:47 AM
I kind of tend to prefer more conventional names but if that's what you want
to call your baby - go for it. There's potential for a kid getting teased
for their name no matter what it is. I met a lady who had named her daughter
Lotus. A beautiful little girl with a sweet personality went well with this
gorgeous, but unconventional, name.

Just make sure it goes with your surname, maybe? Prophet Orion Smith would
sound rather bizarre, I think. More so than Moon Unit Zappa! Also, check for
any unfortunate first letter combinations. I wanted to name a daughter Lara
Alison - unfortunately our surname starts with V and that would have given
us LAV, and we wanted to avoid that, so the second name got changed to
Michelle. OK, so LMV stands for "located motor vehicle" but I don't think
that many kids speak police jargon! You don't want your kid to get called
POT or POS (point of sale).

A female comedian once said that the way she chose the name of his kids was
to stand on the back porch and yell out the whole thing. If it sounded like
they were REALLY getting into trouble, that was the name she chose :)

xkatx
May 30th 06, 01:24 AM
"EternityGrace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
> think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.

If he has decided on a name, it's probably safe to assume he likes it. If
you think about it and love it, then why go any further?

> Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
> I...

I went through those phases as well.

> Prophet Orion

Beware of what the initials spell out... POT, POG, POS, POD, POO or similar
could cause even more troubles. You just *wouldn't* want your friends to
find out your middle name and never live it down being nicknamed as POO or
something!

> I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
> name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
> works...

Hm... I don't like Orion, simply because I had a horse named Orion. His
name was Great Orion Nebula, we called him Orion or Ori. Other than that,
it's not that I really don't like the name, it's a personal connection to
the name that I just couldn't see as a human name. Just like Henry... Had a
horse named Henry, and ever since that, if I've ever run into a Henry, it's
brought back images of a horse.

> If we have other kids they'll be
>
> Zayne AleXander
> and EmeraldGrace

I don't mind Zane, Alexander is a fine name, Emerald is pretty and Grace
comes across as a very old fashioned, graceful name. I don't mind either of
those 4 names. DH went with 'Amie' as spelling for Amy. To this day, I
like the name but I do hate the spelling. There was a study that I had read
in Uni that said that people with common names spelled uncommonly often
didn't advance as far and well as those with common names with your average
spelling. A Melissa does far better than a Melysa, a Christine better than
a Krysteen. Michael and Mikahle, etc. It's first impressions that ARE drawn
by something like a name on a resume before an actual first impression of a
person can be made. A person with very different spelling of their name
draws a first impression as being possibly uneducated. That, though, was a
study on names in the workforce. Also, in school, who enjoyed when a
substitute teacher pronounced their first or last name wrong? Last names
can't really be helped. I've had everything from Orni****ko-Margie to you
name it. It drives me up a wall to no end, and I know, to this day, when
someone spells my first name wrong, it's more than a slight annoyance.
I had, at the doc's office, a nurse called for an "Amie" but pronounced it
as "Ah-me". I shot the woman a dirty look and wiped it off my face before
she could see it. I asked if she was looking for Amie like 'Amy'... I went
home that day to once more explain to DH that although Amy is a great name,
Amie spelling sucks. ;)
I just don't see how spelling a name differently is going to do much for the
child. It causes problems all around, at times, even for little things as
children like pencils, keychains, toothbrushes, etc., with your name on it.
You just *won't* find Jacob as Jakkob on much of anything.

> --------
>
> So, since I know most people can't stand that name, especially the
> religious (which is silly, b/c people name their kids after prophets...
> i'm just naming mine after all of them... :), they seem to be more
> offended by it...

That's true. There's a whole crapload of Michaels, Rebeccas, Matthews,
Peters, Marys and Josephs. If you do go with Prophet, and people are
offended by it, I would simply say that you *could* have named him ****head
or Jerkface if you had really wanted to. THAT would probably be more
offensive.

> Think about it a few times, and picture a cute kid with a beaming face,
> and eyes (blue); does it work once you get used to it?

Yes, Prophet is fine. I had a horse named Orion - and for that reason, I
just can't bring myself to see a child or person, or anything, really, other
than a horse, with that name. ;) You could have a great kid, cute as a
button named Prophet, but you also see a lot of really cute Andrews, Marks,
Jeremys and so on. Orion, though, I just could not get used to. I bought
that horse as a young stallion that already had Great Orion Nebula as his
registered name. I, personally, probably would have named him something
like Harold :D That's just one name that comes across as odd to me, but...
I am betting it would have been the same case if someone mentioned they were
wanting to name their child Billy and I associated THAT name with a horse...
lol

EternityGrace
May 30th 06, 02:04 AM
I'd probably nickname him "Ri" or "Rye"

xkatx
May 30th 06, 03:17 AM
"EternityGrace" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'd probably nickname him "Ri" or "Rye"

I would steer clear of Rye, if it's a nickname that he could actually use
and write down. I had a friend, once long ago, and his name is Rion - makes
me only now, actually, wonder if his full name could be Orion, and not
simply Rion (as in Ryan)
Again, I do still not mind Prophet. It kind of seems to go along with other
names I've heard lately - I have a friend who's son's name is Dax. I had
asked her where on earth she came up with that name when he was born (he's
almost 9 months old now and about 5 weeks younger than DD) and she said she
found it in a baby name book. Sure enough, it's there and it's very
different, I think. Then again, she has a 9 year old daughter named Zoe -
not very common at all.
I'm trying to think of what could shorten from Prophet... I think Ri or even
Rye is fine, as that doesn't remind *me* of a horse named after random stars
in the sky!

Tori M
May 30th 06, 05:03 AM
All I can say is I have a Xavier ;) I usualy call him Xaxa.. Jeff calls him
Abu because for the longest time he would go AHHH BOOO. Sometimes we just
call him Boy.. or Monkey.. but those would not translate well for growing
up.. lol

Tori
"EternityGrace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
> think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.
>
> Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
> I...
>
> Prophet Orion
>
> I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
> name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
> works...
>
> If we have other kids they'll be
>
> Zayne AleXander
> and EmeraldGrace
>
> --------
>
> So, since I know most people can't stand that name, especially the
> religious (which is silly, b/c people name their kids after prophets...
> i'm just naming mine after all of them... :), they seem to be more
> offended by it...
>
> Think about it a few times, and picture a cute kid with a beaming face,
> and eyes (blue); does it work once you get used to it?

FazBeta
May 30th 06, 08:27 AM
On Tue, 30 May 2006 00:24:03 GMT, "xkatx" > wrote:

>I had, at the doc's office, a nurse called for an "Amie" but pronounced it
>as "Ah-me". I shot the woman a dirty look and wiped it off my face before
>she could see it. I asked if she was looking for Amie like 'Amy'... I went
>home that day to once more explain to DH that although Amy is a great name,
>Amie spelling sucks.

Just my two cents, Amie in french means female friend and it is
pronounced "Ah-me". Maybe the nurse speaks french and thought of it as
the french name and not another version of Amy.
BTW I'm with you, I prefer the right spelling for names.

Anne

xkatx
May 30th 06, 01:32 PM
<FazBeta> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 00:24:03 GMT, "xkatx" > wrote:
>
>>I had, at the doc's office, a nurse called for an "Amie" but pronounced it
>>as "Ah-me". I shot the woman a dirty look and wiped it off my face before
>>she could see it. I asked if she was looking for Amie like 'Amy'... I
>>went
>>home that day to once more explain to DH that although Amy is a great
>>name,
>>Amie spelling sucks.
>
> Just my two cents, Amie in french means female friend and it is
> pronounced "Ah-me". Maybe the nurse speaks french and thought of it as
> the french name and not another version of Amy.
> BTW I'm with you, I prefer the right spelling for names.
>
> Anne

Yes, I was actually surprised to find that spelling in a baby name book. It
was, though, under Amy, and put in the book as an alternate spelling. It IS
French, but I had just signed in with the nurse not 15 minutes earlier.
Something about odd names or odd spelling that irks me. I think this is
mostly because *I* had this problem, more problems with the spelling of my
name, but I've noticed it's more and more common. I've seen the name with
my spelling, and actually, a lot of the people with the same spelling are
my age or older, but it's only been the last oh, maybe 8-10 years that I've
been able to walk in the store and see a hair brush or pencils and erasers
with *MY* name on it. I was always stuck with 'Katie' or 'Katherine' for my
hair ties when I was little, as there just wasn't any Kathryn's. I do
remember, though, that my mom would normally opt for something silly like
"Princess" or "Angel" over Kathry or Kate or whatever. I've never had
problems with pronouncing my name wrong - fairly straight forward - but I
have always had problems with my last name, yet all the letters are straight
forward, if you can read properly, it's pretty basic, just kinda long. DH's
name is the one where I get odd ones too - yes, it's French :D lol

EternityGrace
May 30th 06, 02:54 PM
lol; Orion is my favorite constellation, the belt is my favorite set of
stars... its why I thought of the name. We'd had a discussion about the
names earlier that day, and as I was leaving the house for my graveyard
shift I looked up at Orion while I was laughing at the name "Prophet".
I thought it ridiculous. While staring at the nebula inside Orions Belt
(not like in MIB) a shooting star flashed across the belt and my head
went "Prophet Orion" and I knew it was perfect...

:) Cheesy? Very.

Oh, and MY name is Erica Lynne Moreau. His name is David Sadistic
Juggalo (had it changed recently) and we get married I'm changing mine
to EternityGrace Dragon Juggalo (EternityGrace D Juggalo on papers)..
Juggalo is a person who is a follower of the Dark Carnival... or God
(the same god as the christian god) as presented by the Insane Clown
Posse...

Unconventional... I just wrote a paper on the Insane Clown Posse for my
English class, really impressed my teacher too... *beaming/dancing*

for those who are curious...
http://www.myspace.com/dying4eternity

cjra
May 30th 06, 03:09 PM
xkatx wrote:
> "EternityGrace" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I'd probably nickname him "Ri" or "Rye"
>
> I would steer clear of Rye, if it's a nickname that he could actually use
> and write down. I had a friend, once long ago, and his name is Rion - makes
> me only now, actually, wonder if his full name could be Orion, and not
> simply Rion (as in Ryan)
> Again, I do still not mind Prophet. It kind of seems to go along with other
> names I've heard lately - I have a friend who's son's name is Dax. I had
> asked her where on earth she came up with that name when he was born (he's
> almost 9 months old now and about 5 weeks younger than DD) and she said she
> found it in a baby name book. Sure enough, it's there and it's very
> different, I think. Then again, she has a 9 year old daughter named Zoe -
> not very common at all.

About 9 yrs ago I was living on the east coast of the US, and every
other kid seemed to be named Zoe! Very common then.

Tori M
May 30th 06, 05:30 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message news:UXWeg.638$bQ.88@edtnps89...

> <FazBeta> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 May 2006 00:24:03 GMT, "xkatx" > wrote:
>>
>>>I had, at the doc's office, a nurse called for an "Amie" but pronounced
>>>it
>>>as "Ah-me". I shot the woman a dirty look and wiped it off my face
>>>before
>>>she could see it. I asked if she was looking for Amie like 'Amy'... I
>>>went
>>>home that day to once more explain to DH that although Amy is a great
>>>name,
>>>Amie spelling sucks.
>>
>> Just my two cents, Amie in french means female friend and it is
>> pronounced "Ah-me". Maybe the nurse speaks french and thought of it as
>> the french name and not another version of Amy.
>> BTW I'm with you, I prefer the right spelling for names.
>>
>> Anne
>
> Yes, I was actually surprised to find that spelling in a baby name book.
> It was, though, under Amy, and put in the book as an alternate spelling.
> It IS French, but I had just signed in with the nurse not 15 minutes
> earlier. Something about odd names or odd spelling that irks me. I think
> this is mostly because *I* had this problem, more problems with the
> spelling of my name, but I've noticed it's more and more common. I've
> seen the name with my spelling, and actually, a lot of the people with the
> same spelling are my age or older, but it's only been the last oh, maybe
> 8-10 years that I've been able to walk in the store and see a hair brush
> or pencils and erasers with *MY* name on it. I was always stuck with
> 'Katie' or 'Katherine' for my hair ties when I was little, as there just
> wasn't any Kathryn's. I do

If I had a Katherine I would spell it Kathryn with Kat for short.

Tori

cjra
May 30th 06, 05:42 PM
xkatx wrote:
> "EternityGrace" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
> > think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.
>
> If he has decided on a name, it's probably safe to assume he likes it. If
> you think about it and love it, then why go any further?
>
> > Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
> > I...
>
> I went through those phases as well.
>
> > Prophet Orion
>
> Beware of what the initials spell out... POT, POG, POS, POD, POO or similar
> could cause even more troubles. You just *wouldn't* want your friends to
> find out your middle name and never live it down being nicknamed as POO or
> something!
>
> > I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
> > name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
> > works...
>
> Hm... I don't like Orion, simply because I had a horse named Orion. His
> name was Great Orion Nebula, we called him Orion or Ori. Other than that,
> it's not that I really don't like the name, it's a personal connection to
> the name that I just couldn't see as a human name. Just like Henry... Had a
> horse named Henry, and ever since that, if I've ever run into a Henry, it's
> brought back images of a horse.
>
> > If we have other kids they'll be
> >
> > Zayne AleXander
> > and EmeraldGrace
>
> I don't mind Zane, Alexander is a fine name, Emerald is pretty and Grace
> comes across as a very old fashioned, graceful name. I don't mind either of
> those 4 names. DH went with 'Amie' as spelling for Amy. To this day, I
> like the name but I do hate the spelling. There was a study that I had read
> in Uni that said that people with common names spelled uncommonly often
> didn't advance as far and well as those with common names with your average
> spelling. A Melissa does far better than a Melysa, a Christine better than
> a Krysteen. Michael and Mikahle, etc. It's first impressions that ARE drawn
> by something like a name on a resume before an actual first impression of a
> person can be made. A person with very different spelling of their name
> draws a first impression as being possibly uneducated. That, though, was a
> study on names in the workforce.

I confess to having a prejudice about such mis-spelled names , though I
am more likely to draw conclusions about the *parents* lack of
education (or atleast spelling ability) or desire to be creative
without actually knowing *how* to be creative except to mis-spell a
word than I am about the person themselves. More likely I'd feel sorry
for the person that gets saddled with the mis-spelled name. That said,
I haven't encountered many people in the workforce with such
spellings,all the kids I have heard with such spellings are still too
young.

> Also, in school, who enjoyed when a
> substitute teacher pronounced their first or last name wrong?

My opinion on 'unique' spellings aside, I had no problem when every
single person on earth is unable to spell or pronounce my first or last
name. My first name *is* a real name, and there are only 2 spelling
variations, but it's not very common, so no one knows how to say it or
spell it.That itself never really bothered me.

xkatx
May 30th 06, 07:26 PM
"cjra" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> xkatx wrote:
>> "EternityGrace" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > I'd probably nickname him "Ri" or "Rye"
>>
>> I would steer clear of Rye, if it's a nickname that he could actually use
>> and write down. I had a friend, once long ago, and his name is Rion -
>> makes
>> me only now, actually, wonder if his full name could be Orion, and not
>> simply Rion (as in Ryan)
>> Again, I do still not mind Prophet. It kind of seems to go along with
>> other
>> names I've heard lately - I have a friend who's son's name is Dax. I
>> had
>> asked her where on earth she came up with that name when he was born
>> (he's
>> almost 9 months old now and about 5 weeks younger than DD) and she said
>> she
>> found it in a baby name book. Sure enough, it's there and it's very
>> different, I think. Then again, she has a 9 year old daughter named
>> Zoe -
>> not very common at all.
>
> About 9 yrs ago I was living on the east coast of the US, and every
> other kid seemed to be named Zoe! Very common then.

Yea, she just turned 9 last weekend. I've never run into a Zoe. Never went
to school or worked with one, didn't know one through someone else, never
knew someone with a sister named Zoe... I do have an aunt who's cat's name
is Zoe. Here, Zoe isn't very common. Friend said there's not another Zoe
in the kid's school, or any school she's been to (I believe this is the
second school she's been in in the last year or so, and I think she had one
more school before that - so 3 schools total)
It could be a common name, but over here, never once run into another Zoe.
Never once run into a Dax either, although we do have a chinchilla named
'Daxter' - we got him with that name, but DS has kind of called him
'Baxter' - like the fly guy from Ninja Turtles ;)

xkatx
May 30th 06, 07:28 PM
"Tori M" > wrote in message

> "xkatx" > wrote in message news:UXWeg.638$bQ.88@edtnps89...
>>
>> <FazBeta> wrote in message

>>> Just my two cents, Amie in french means female friend and it is
>>> pronounced "Ah-me". Maybe the nurse speaks french and thought of it as
>>> the french name and not another version of Amy.
>>> BTW I'm with you, I prefer the right spelling for names.
>>>
>>> Anne
>>
>> Yes, I was actually surprised to find that spelling in a baby name book.
>> It was, though, under Amy, and put in the book as an alternate spelling.
>> It IS French, but I had just signed in with the nurse not 15 minutes
>> earlier. Something about odd names or odd spelling that irks me. I think
>> this is mostly because *I* had this problem, more problems with the
>> spelling of my name, but I've noticed it's more and more common. I've
>> seen the name with my spelling, and actually, a lot of the people with
>> the same spelling are my age or older, but it's only been the last oh,
>> maybe 8-10 years that I've been able to walk in the store and see a hair
>> brush or pencils and erasers with *MY* name on it. I was always stuck
>> with 'Katie' or 'Katherine' for my hair ties when I was little, as there
>> just wasn't any Kathryn's. I do
>
> If I had a Katherine I would spell it Kathryn with Kat for short.
>
> Tori

My great grandma was a Katherine - she went by Katie. I guess I was named
after this great grandma, but my parents like the Kathryn spelling better,
and yes, it seems I'm more of Kat than Kathryn, but one of my brothers and
my dad call me Kath (I think they're the only ones that can and do get away
with this!) I managed to pick up Kathy at DS's first daycare. Didn't
impress me one bit. I don't care much for Kathy, Katie, Kate - anything
like that!

Welches
May 30th 06, 07:40 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message news:570fg.3$I61.0@clgrps13...

> "cjra" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> xkatx wrote:
>>> "EternityGrace" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...
>>>
>>> I would steer clear of Rye, if it's a nickname that he could actually
>>> use
>>> and write down. I had a friend, once long ago, and his name is Rion -
>>> makes
>>> me only now, actually, wonder if his full name could be Orion, and not
>>> simply Rion (as in Ryan)
>>> Again, I do still not mind Prophet. It kind of seems to go along with
>>> other
>>> names I've heard lately - I have a friend who's son's name is Dax. I
>>> had
>>> asked her where on earth she came up with that name when he was born
>>> (he's
>>> almost 9 months old now and about 5 weeks younger than DD) and she said
>>> she
>>> found it in a baby name book. Sure enough, it's there and it's very
>>> different, I think. Then again, she has a 9 year old daughter named
>>> Zoe -
>>> not very common at all.
>>
>> About 9 yrs ago I was living on the east coast of the US, and every
>> other kid seemed to be named Zoe! Very common then.
>
> Yea, she just turned 9 last weekend. I've never run into a Zoe. Never
> went to school or worked with one, didn't know one through someone else,
> never knew someone with a sister named Zoe... I do have an aunt who's
> cat's name is Zoe. Here, Zoe isn't very common. Friend said there's not
> another Zoe in the kid's school, or any school she's been to (I believe
> this is the second school she's been in in the last year or so, and I
> think she had one more school before that - so 3 schools total)
> It could be a common name, but over here, never once run into another Zoe.
> Never once run into a Dax either, although we do have a chinchilla named
> 'Daxter' - we got him with that name, but DS has kind of called him
> 'Baxter' - like the fly guy from Ninja Turtles ;)
Dh knew a Zoey. Turned out the dad had gone to register her and didn't know
how to spell it. Mum nearly had a fit when she saw the certificate :-D
Debbie

xkatx
May 30th 06, 07:40 PM
"cjra" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> [...]
>> drawn
>> by something like a name on a resume before an actual first impression of
>> person can be made. A person with very different spelling of their name
>> draws a first impression as being possibly uneducated. That, though, was
>> study on names in the workforce.
>
> I confess to having a prejudice about such mis-spelled names , though I
> am more likely to draw conclusions about the *parents* lack of
> education (or atleast spelling ability) or desire to be creative
> without actually knowing *how* to be creative except to mis-spell a
> word than I am about the person themselves. More likely I'd feel sorry
> for the person that gets saddled with the mis-spelled name. That said,
> I haven't encountered many people in the workforce with such
> spellings,all the kids I have heard with such spellings are still too

I agree. My mom had a pair of clients who's son's name was "Trejn"
(Tre-jen - like that, said fast)
The parents would probably fall into that said category of lack of
education/spelling, and the poor baby ended up being addicted to crack when
he was born. So, with that being said, I'd say it's safe to assume the
mother, at least, was on crack while pregnant, and she was on crack
when/after he was born - no idea how one would come up with such a name!
I really don't know for sure, but it seems that this is a trend that is
newer more than older. I know I went to school with a Melisa - different
spelling of Melissa - and she'd always get Me-lisa, Me-liza, never Mel-issa.

>> Also, in school, who enjoyed when a
>> substitute teacher pronounced their first or last name wrong?
>
> My opinion on 'unique' spellings aside, I had no problem when every
> single person on earth is unable to spell or pronounce my first or last
> name. My first name *is* a real name, and there are only 2 spelling
> variations, but it's not very common, so no one knows how to say it or
> spell it.That itself never really bothered me.

Last names, totally different than first names. I've seen Smyth's that
pronounce it like Smith, others that pronounce it like S-my-th. And then
you have some downright odd last names that unless it's your name or someone
you know, you just don't have a clue where to start with pronouncing it.
First names, though, with crazy spellings have the added chance of being
mispronounced. For me, a name like Kathryn follows the same general rule as
Katherine. I've seen some Katherines that make more emphasis on the first
E, some that don't. Mine is just without any emphasis on the E, mainly
because there is no E. I don't have that problem anymore. Kathryn seems to
be as common as Katherine or Catherine.
Some names are just hard to guess on for spelling or saying. But, that's
different, I think, than a common name with some sort of crazy spelling.
With DS2, I decided to go with Brandon - that's basically the common
spelling of it. My aunt asked me how I was going to spell it - she said
there's lots of spellings - Branden, Brandon, Brandin... The only one, for
me, that looked 'normal' and regular was Brandon. Branden reminded me of
branded, Brandin reminded me of how it looks strange.

Welches
May 30th 06, 07:44 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message news:Kk0fg.7$I61.0@clgrps13...

<snip>

> Last names, totally different than first names. I've seen Smyth's that
> pronounce it like Smith, others that pronounce it like S-my-th. And then
> you have some downright odd last names that unless it's your name or
> someone
S-my-th would normally be spelt "Smythe" round here. "Smyth" would be
pronounced the same as "Smith".
Reminds me of Hyacynth Bucket-who pronounced her last name as "Bouquet" in
some sitcom because it sounded classier.
Debbie

xkatx
May 30th 06, 07:53 PM
"Welches" > wrote in message

> "xkatx" > wrote in message news:570fg.3$I61.0@clgrps13...
>>
>> "cjra" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> About 9 yrs ago I was living on the east coast of the US, and every
>>> other kid seemed to be named Zoe! Very common then.
>>
>> Yea, she just turned 9 last weekend. I've never run into a Zoe. Never
>> went to school or worked with one, didn't know one through someone else,
>> never knew someone with a sister named Zoe... I do have an aunt who's
>> cat's name is Zoe. Here, Zoe isn't very common. Friend said there's not
>> another Zoe in the kid's school, or any school she's been to (I believe
>> this is the second school she's been in in the last year or so, and I
>> think she had one more school before that - so 3 schools total)
>> It could be a common name, but over here, never once run into another
>> Zoe. Never once run into a Dax either, although we do have a chinchilla
>> named 'Daxter' - we got him with that name, but DS has kind of called him
>> 'Baxter' - like the fly guy from Ninja Turtles ;)
> Dh knew a Zoey. Turned out the dad had gone to register her and didn't
> know how to spell it. Mum nearly had a fit when she saw the certificate
> :-D
> Debbie

LOL Maybe it's a dad thing? DH is the one that filled out the papers in the
hospital for DD while I was getting her ready to go. I looked at him like
he was from Mars when I asked him where he learned to spell Amy ;)

EternityGrace
May 31st 06, 08:42 AM
xkatx wrote:
> "Welches" > wrote in message
> >
> > "xkatx" > wrote in message news:Kk0fg.7$I61.0@clgrps13...
> >>
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> Last names, totally different than first names. I've seen Smyth's that
> >> pronounce it like Smith, others that pronounce it like S-my-th. And then
> >> you have some downright odd last names that unless it's your name or
> >> someone
> > S-my-th would normally be spelt "Smythe" round here. "Smyth" would be
> > pronounced the same as "Smith".
> > Reminds me of Hyacynth Bucket-who pronounced her last name as "Bouquet" in
> > some sitcom because it sounded classier.
> > Debbie
>
> Hehe Bouguet being classier ;)
> My little bro's kindergarden teacher was Mrs. Ambrose (pronounced Amb-rose)
> I think it was maybe 4 or 6 years later that she somehow changed how she
> pronounced her name, and it turned out to be "Am-b-rosie"

(eternity)

Thanks guys! Randomly bored and looking for a middle name for my rat...
(yeah, that bored). My cat is "Crystal Beane Juggalo" and my rat is
Isabella... I ran across Raine (like the weather) and thought of
Emerald Raine Juggalo... It looks really pretty in cursive, and flows
well... like my name Erica Lynne Moreau (More-Oh; like the Island of
Dr)

------

i'm sure i'll be back with more. name books and websites aren't always
a good thing are they? too many possibilites... at least that means
less "Anne" "John" "Mark" and whatever common names existed 40 years
ago... not that those are bad names, its just nice to have variety!

Joybelle
June 1st 06, 05:13 PM
"Engram" > wrote in message
u...

> Just make sure it goes with your surname, maybe? Prophet Orion Smith would
> sound rather bizarre, I think. More so than Moon Unit Zappa! Also, check
for
> any unfortunate first letter combinations. I wanted to name a daughter
Lara
> Alison - unfortunately our surname starts with V and that would have given
> us LAV, and we wanted to avoid that, so the second name got changed to
> Michelle. OK, so LMV stands for "located motor vehicle" but I don't think
> that many kids speak police jargon! You don't want your kid to get called
> POT or POS (point of sale).

Ah, see to me, if I had a last name like Smith or Jones, something really
common, I might go with something a bit more unusual. There probably
wouldn't be a gazillion Prophet Smiths in the phone book.

Joy

EternityGrace
June 1st 06, 05:35 PM
lol.... as long as his middle name isn't "Joseph" right? Hee hee (no
offense to any mormons meant)

Joybelle wrote:
> "Engram" > wrote in message
> u...
>
> > Just make sure it goes with your surname, maybe? Prophet Orion Smith would
> > sound rather bizarre, I think. More so than Moon Unit Zappa! Also, check
> for
> > any unfortunate first letter combinations. I wanted to name a daughter
> Lara
> > Alison - unfortunately our surname starts with V and that would have given
> > us LAV, and we wanted to avoid that, so the second name got changed to
> > Michelle. OK, so LMV stands for "located motor vehicle" but I don't think
> > that many kids speak police jargon! You don't want your kid to get called
> > POT or POS (point of sale).
>
> Ah, see to me, if I had a last name like Smith or Jones, something really
> common, I might go with something a bit more unusual. There probably
> wouldn't be a gazillion Prophet Smiths in the phone book.
>
> Joy

Joybelle
June 1st 06, 08:11 PM
"EternityGrace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> lol.... as long as his middle name isn't "Joseph" right? Hee hee (no
> offense to any mormons meant)

That did cross my mind (to not use Joseph)! lol

Joy

Engram
June 2nd 06, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but I think Emerald Grace Smith or Zayne Alexander Smith sound lovely
whereas Moon Unit Smith sounds more than a bit bizarre... You don't have to
be called John Smith if you're a Smith. Uncommon names sound fine with that
sort of surname, but truly unusual ones can sound a bit strange.

Don't kow how your phone book is structured, but in Sydney Prophet Smith
would be P. Smith and get lost amongst all the Smiths anyway :) So for
visibility in the phone book I'd go for Zane, Xander, Xena, Zoran, etc. Not
that many people have names starting with X or Z! LOL

"Joybelle" > wrote in message

> "Engram" > wrote in message
> u...
> Ah, see to me, if I had a last name like Smith or Jones, something really
> common, I might go with something a bit more unusual. There probably
> wouldn't be a gazillion Prophet Smiths in the phone book.
>
> Joy

xkatx
June 3rd 06, 03:25 AM
"Engram" > wrote in message
u...
> Yeah, but I think Emerald Grace Smith or Zayne Alexander Smith sound
> lovely whereas Moon Unit Smith sounds more than a bit bizarre... You don't
> have to be called John Smith if you're a Smith. Uncommon names sound fine
> with that sort of surname, but truly unusual ones can sound a bit strange.
>
> Don't kow how your phone book is structured, but in Sydney Prophet Smith
> would be P. Smith and get lost amongst all the Smiths anyway :) So for
> visibility in the phone book I'd go for Zane, Xander, Xena, Zoran, etc.
> Not that many people have names starting with X or Z! LOL

:S DS1 starts with a Z :( lol But, under my last name, there's only about
10 of us (back when I was little, there was only 3 total in the book) and
under DH's name, there's only his mother. Phone's under my name (yay)
But, with something like Smith, a Zane Xander Smith could show up as Smith,
Z X - over here, anyways. There's probably not many of those! Q is also a
seemingly unpopular name starter, aside from possibly Asian names. But,
generally, there's not many Quintins, Queenies, Quinns... Then again, *I*
can't really name off many people who's name starts with Z... Other than our
Zach and a friend's dad who's name is Zenon and a friend's daughter Zoe, a
friend named Zeke - and a Zane - or Zelda from, well, Zelda...
Alright, it's just too hot for me to think straight... :(

> "Joybelle" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Engram" > wrote in message
>> u...
>> Ah, see to me, if I had a last name like Smith or Jones, something really
>> common, I might go with something a bit more unusual. There probably
>> wouldn't be a gazillion Prophet Smiths in the phone book.
>>
>> Joy

June 4th 06, 07:57 PM
EternityGrace wrote:
> Okay, my fiance has decided on a name if its a boy, and the more I
> think about it and hear it... the more I LOVE it.
>
> Yes, its a bit unconventional, but... I have purple hair... so, so am
> I...
>
> Prophet Orion
>
> I chose the middle name, and had been thinking of Orion as a first
> name... but again, the more I think about the name... the better it
> works...

Orion is not so bad (except I keep reading it as Onion in this font I'm
looking at!). It's a real name, it is easy to spell, it doesn't sound
so unlike other names (the one Orion I've ever heard of was frequently
called Ryan by people who hadn't quite caught his name, but it was so
close in sound it hardly mattered unless you wrote it down). Yet it's
unusual enough that there will pretty certainly be not another in his
classes. I don't care much for Prophet. It sounds too much like Rudyard
Kipling in mock-Islamic mode calling people Effendi and so on. Also
there's the echo of the English word Profit.

You are quite right that Prophet Orion flows nicely. Perhaps there's
another unusual name with similar sound qualities that would work
instead of Prophet? Raphael or something?

--Helen

Michelle J. Haines
June 4th 06, 10:02 PM
EternityGrace wrote:

> So, since I know most people can't stand that name, especially the
> religious (which is silly, b/c people name their kids after prophets...
> i'm just naming mine after all of them... :), they seem to be more
> offended by it...
>
> Think about it a few times, and picture a cute kid with a beaming face,
> and eyes (blue); does it work once you get used to it?

Not really. Orion I could see, but Prophet? Kind of out on a limb,
there. But what you name a child is up to you, certainly. My
in-law's have certainly hated most of the things we've named out children.

Michelle
Flutist