PDA

View Full Version : Mini Panic

lucy-h
May 31st 06, 11:42 AM
I've been having an on/off mini-panic the last few days... I think it's just
first-time mummy nerves, but there are times when I wonder if I really will
know what to do with a newborn.

I've looked after so many babies, and come from a very "babied-up" family,
where it seems no one has less than three kiddies, and the average is 5...
but when the baby's here, and we have the responsibility 24/7, I worry that
I won't know what to do. I am sure that it will all be fine, but since DH
has *no* babies in his small family, he has no idea about babies.

I am worried about being so tired, having seen the effect the narcolepsy has
had during the pg. I am worried about being over fussy with a crying baby,
or not fussing enough and missing something. I worry that I don't have
everything I need, and spend ages walking round baby
shops/supermarkets/hunting through the internet, just in case I have missed
something, and strangely feel disappointed if I don't find anything that I
have missed. I am worried about not getting hold of DH in time for labour,
and wish he was working from home, as was the plan. Having now agreed to
give birth in a hospital, I am stressing a little over how long I will be
kept in, and I really hope it's not overnight, as I don't want DH to have to
leave us there. I also worry in case I have to have a c-section as I am
still massively phobic of an epidural, following the nasty nasty lumbar
puncture, and DH is really phobic about coming in for a c-section, though we
have both agreed to try. He's so loving and supportive, but I worry how
he'll cope seeing me in pain/distress. I'm fretty as I wanted to get a comfy
chair for breastfeeding in, and still haven't found one I wanted that's not
hundreds of pounds. I would also love to know a definite due date, I think I
am a bit of a control freak, and I am finding it distressing not knowing how
long I have left. I know it's all little stuff, but it's doing my head in.
It's not helping that I have had a fall out with my real mum, even though
she's 300 odd miles away.

Strangely enough, the thought of labour isn't worrying me too much! I have
faith that my body will know what to do at the time, it's just all the other
stuff that I am fretting about. I am sure it's normal, I just wish it
wasn't.

Sorry for the ramble!

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

Welches
May 31st 06, 12:23 PM
"lucy-h" > wrote in message
> I've been having an on/off mini-panic the last few days... I think it's
> just
> first-time mummy nerves, but there are times when I wonder if I really
> will
> know what to do with a newborn.
>
> I've looked after so many babies, and come from a very "babied-up" family,
> where it seems no one has less than three kiddies, and the average is 5...
> but when the baby's here, and we have the responsibility 24/7, I worry
> that
> I won't know what to do. I am sure that it will all be fine, but since DH
> has *no* babies in his small family, he has no idea about babies.
>
> I am worried about being so tired, having seen the effect the narcolepsy
> has
> had during the pg. I am worried about being over fussy with a crying baby,
> or not fussing enough and missing something. I worry that I don't have
> everything I need, and spend ages walking round baby
> shops/supermarkets/hunting through the internet, just in case I have
> missed
> something, and strangely feel disappointed if I don't find anything that I
> have missed. I am worried about not getting hold of DH in time for labour,
> and wish he was working from home, as was the plan. Having now agreed to
> give birth in a hospital, I am stressing a little over how long I will be
> kept in, and I really hope it's not overnight, as I don't want DH to have
> leave us there. I also worry in case I have to have a c-section as I am
> still massively phobic of an epidural, following the nasty nasty lumbar
> puncture, and DH is really phobic about coming in for a c-section, though
> we
> have both agreed to try. He's so loving and supportive, but I worry how
> he'll cope seeing me in pain/distress. I'm fretty as I wanted to get a
> comfy
> chair for breastfeeding in, and still haven't found one I wanted that's
> not
> hundreds of pounds. I would also love to know a definite due date, I think
> am a bit of a control freak, and I am finding it distressing not knowing
> how
> long I have left. I know it's all little stuff, but it's doing my head in.
> It's not helping that I have had a fall out with my real mum, even though
> she's 300 odd miles away.
>
> Strangely enough, the thought of labour isn't worrying me too much! I have
> faith that my body will know what to do at the time, it's just all the
> other
> stuff that I am fretting about. I am sure it's normal, I just wish it
> wasn't.

I was in a similar situation, having also nannied for a bit. It's a bit
scarey the first few times when there's no one you can hand them over to in
the same way as when they're someone elses. However the feeling you get
towards them is also much more than when it's someone elses, which more than
compensates!
Debbie

Zaz
May 31st 06, 01:15 PM
Hi Lucy,

You know what? It's not even "first-time" mommy's nerves. It's just mommy's
nerves, period. I'm there with my second baby coming up, and you'd think I
remember how to handle a newborn: Mlle C is only 18 months old! Well, I get
all that anxiety anyway.

First, we did nothing for his bedroom. Just a moses basket we'll put in our
room, for the first few months. I just realised two days ago that "no, Mlle
C's diapers won't fit a newborn!" Second, Mlle C was so huge when she was
born (10.5 lbs) that I'm afraid this one will be too small for me to handle
comfortably or without worry. What if he's all delicate and bony?
Now, I gave many things away, which belonged to Mlle C. Shouldn't I have
kept more? What's missing? Binkies? Pyjamas? I feel I don't have enough, and
I don't want to dress him in pink (yes, I'm prejudiced against pink on a
baby boy).
What if he cries all the time, contrary to Mlle C? What if he doesn't sleep?
What if...

You're not alone, sister. One thing I have that you don't, is that I know
everything will work out in the end. Even my thyroid stopped acting up since
Mlle C was born!

--
Isabelle
Mlle C 2004-11-27

Anne Rogers
May 31st 06, 02:29 PM
Lucy, I think what you are experiencing is totally normal, swinging from
excitement to fear.

Have you talked to anyone about your narcolepsy? I would have thought some
kind of discussion with someone knowledgeable might help you feel reassured
and know what to expect.

Don't worry about nursing chairs, I have one, but it was under 200 pounds,
so not too bad. I like it, but I found that once the babies were bigger
there wasn't room for me and the baby on the chair! So they are less use
that you might imagine and you don't know before hand what you will find
comfortable anyway. I've almost entirely fed number 2 lieing down in bed.

Anne

carlye
May 31st 06, 02:40 PM
lucy-h wrote:
> I worry that
> I won't know what to do. I am sure that it will all be fine, but since DH
> has *no* babies in his small family, he has no idea about babies.

For what it's worth, I'd changed *two* diapers in my life before having
DD, and the longest I'd ever been alone with an infant was three hours.
The hospital/birth center will be able to show you and/or DH how to do
whatever it is you need, and it'll come so naturally, you'll wonder why
you worried.

> I am worried about being so tired, having seen the effect the narcolepsy has
> had during the pg. I am worried about being over fussy with a crying baby,
> or not fussing enough and missing something. I worry that I don't have
> everything I need, and spend ages walking round baby
> shops/supermarkets/hunting through the internet, just in case I have missed
> something, and strangely feel disappointed if I don't find anything that I
> have missed. I am worried about not getting hold of DH in time for labour,
> and wish he was working from home, as was the plan. Having now agreed to
> give birth in a hospital, I am stressing a little over how long I will be
> kept in, and I really hope it's not overnight, as I don't want DH to have to
> leave us there.

You aren't going to "miss something" important with the baby -- it
won't take you long to figure out her cues and everything. And as far
as having everything you need, weren't you the one that posted the
tremendously long, thorough lists about what you'd gotten for your
nursery? Lucy, you are putting me to shame with that! I don't even
have diapers. I'm of the "the hopsital will give me some samples,
right?" school of thought and plan to pick up the stuff that neither
the hospital nor friends/family supply after the baby is born. You'll
be FINE.

As far as worrying about DH missing the birth, I bet every mom worries
about that. All I can say is that it's unlikely.

> I also worry in case I have to have a c-section as I am
> still massively phobic of an epidural, following the nasty nasty lumbar
> puncture, and DH is really phobic about coming in for a c-section, though we
> have both agreed to try. He's so loving and supportive, but I worry how
> he'll cope seeing me in pain/distress.

DH told me when I was pregnant with DD that he didn't think he could be
in the room when she was born. He said he was too afraid of seeing me
in pain, too. ("Helpful" anecdotes from other new dads did not help
that situation.) But once we were there, I don't think he would've
missed it for the world. I had a totally unmedicated birth, and we
were both okay.

> I would also love to know a definite due date, I think I
> am a bit of a control freak, and I am finding it distressing not knowing how
> long I have left.

I hear ya, sister.

> Strangely enough, the thought of labour isn't worrying me too much! I have
> faith that my body will know what to do at the time, it's just all the other
> stuff that I am fretting about. I am sure it's normal, I just wish it
> wasn't.

You're going to be fine. :-)

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

lucy-h
May 31st 06, 06:13 PM
"Welches" > wrote in message

> [...]
in.
> > It's not helping that I have had a fall out with my real mum, even
though
> > she's 300 odd miles away.
> >
> > Strangely enough, the thought of labour isn't worrying me too much! I
have
> > faith that my body will know what to do at the time, it's just all the
> > other
> > stuff that I am fretting about. I am sure it's normal, I just wish it
> > wasn't.
> >
> I was in a similar situation, having also nannied for a bit. It's a bit
> scarey the first few times when there's no one you can hand them over to
in
> the same way as when they're someone elses. However the feeling you get
> towards them is also much more than when it's someone elses, which more

Aw, that's a really nice and positive way of looking at it! Thank you
Debbie!

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

lucy-h
May 31st 06, 06:16 PM
"Zaz" > wrote in message
> Hi Lucy,
>
> You know what? It's not even "first-time" mommy's nerves. It's just
mommy's
> nerves, period. I'm there with my second baby coming up, and you'd think I
> remember how to handle a newborn: Mlle C is only 18 months old! Well, I
get
> all that anxiety anyway.
>
> First, we did nothing for his bedroom. Just a moses basket we'll put in
our
> room, for the first few months. I just realised two days ago that "no,
Mlle
> C's diapers won't fit a newborn!" Second, Mlle C was so huge when she was
> born (10.5 lbs) that I'm afraid this one will be too small for me to
handle
> comfortably or without worry. What if he's all delicate and bony?
> Now, I gave many things away, which belonged to Mlle C. Shouldn't I have
> kept more? What's missing? Binkies? Pyjamas? I feel I don't have enough,
and
> I don't want to dress him in pink (yes, I'm prejudiced against pink on a
> baby boy).
> What if he cries all the time, contrary to Mlle C? What if he doesn't
sleep?
> What if...
>
> You're not alone, sister. One thing I have that you don't, is that I know
> everything will work out in the end. Even my thyroid stopped acting up
since
> Mlle C was born!
>

> --
> Isabelle
> Mlle C 2004-11-27
> Guillaume EDD 2006-06-07 or 2006-05-31

aw, it's reassuring to know that it's not just me! I feel better for asleep,
and a panic :) I'm sure it will be fine - I think I am a lot more organised
than I expected to be, I just need something to fret over! :)

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

lucy-h
May 31st 06, 06:20 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> Lucy, I think what you are experiencing is totally normal, swinging from
> excitement to fear.

I think so too... just wish I wasn't :)

> Have you talked to anyone about your narcolepsy? I would have thought some
> kind of discussion with someone knowledgeable might help you feel
reassured
> and know what to expect.

No, I couldn't get an appt with the sleep disorders clinic, and in general,
GPs/midwives don't seem to know too much about it. I am going to see how it
goes tho, as I am sleeping 14-18 hours a day at the moment, and if it gets
worse, I am going to ask if there's any chance of induction, before I get
too tired for labour.

> Don't worry about nursing chairs, I have one, but it was under 200 pounds,
> so not too bad. I like it, but I found that once the babies were bigger
> there wasn't room for me and the baby on the chair!

I had wondered about the space issue! It just seems that in the
picture-perfect family pics you see, mum is always nursing in a chair :) I
have a v pillow to support the baby, I think I would just like a chair with
arms, as opposed to this arm-less futon, and only a bed in the bedroom.

So they are less use
> that you might imagine and you don't know before hand what you will find
> comfortable anyway. I've almost entirely fed number 2 lieing down in bed.

Good points - thank you! :)

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

> Anne

lucy-h
May 31st 06, 06:30 PM
"carlye" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> lucy-h wrote:
> > I worry that
> > I won't know what to do. I am sure that it will all be fine, but since
DH
> > has *no* babies in his small family, he has no idea about babies.
>
> For what it's worth, I'd changed *two* diapers in my life before having
> DD, and the longest I'd ever been alone with an infant was three hours.
> The hospital/birth center will be able to show you and/or DH how to do
> whatever it is you need, and it'll come so naturally, you'll wonder why
> you worried.

Thats a good point - tbh, I have tended to discount the hospital a lot, but
I'm beginning to see that they *are* there to help :)

> > I am worried about being so tired, having seen the effect the narcolepsy
has
> > had during the pg. I am worried about being over fussy with a crying
baby,
> > or not fussing enough and missing something. I worry that I don't have
> > everything I need, and spend ages walking round baby
> > shops/supermarkets/hunting through the internet, just in case I have
missed
> > something, and strangely feel disappointed if I don't find anything that
> > have missed. I am worried about not getting hold of DH in time for
labour,
> > and wish he was working from home, as was the plan. Having now agreed to
> > give birth in a hospital, I am stressing a little over how long I will
be
> > kept in, and I really hope it's not overnight, as I don't want DH to
have to
> > leave us there.
>
> You aren't going to "miss something" important with the baby -- it
> won't take you long to figure out her cues and everything. And as far
> as having everything you need, weren't you the one that posted the
> tremendously long, thorough lists about what you'd gotten for your
> nursery?

Yep :) I am still convinced I missed something - I even keep looking at
prams, despite there being one right in the way in the hallway!! I always
thought that I wouldn't be taken in by the advertising of all the baby junk
being advertised, but now, I want it all!

Lucy, you are putting me to shame with that! I don't even
> have diapers. I'm of the "the hopsital will give me some samples,
> right?" school of thought and plan to pick up the stuff that neither
> the hospital nor friends/family supply after the baby is born. You'll
> be FINE.

:) I would go nuts if I hadn't bought nappies :) I got them on a
buy-one-get-one free, and I think I probably have far too many! DH moans,
cos the cat keeps knocking the packets off the unit! :)

> As far as worrying about DH missing the birth, I bet every mom worries
> about that. All I can say is that it's unlikely.

I don't think I would be so stressed about it, if it wasn't the one thing
he's panicking about. I can get him most of the time on MSN, but days like
today, he's away from home and away from the office... he's not totally
unreachable, it's just another panic.

> > I also worry in case I have to have a c-section as I am
> > still massively phobic of an epidural, following the nasty nasty lumbar
> > puncture, and DH is really phobic about coming in for a c-section,
though we
> > have both agreed to try. He's so loving and supportive, but I worry how
> > he'll cope seeing me in pain/distress.
>
> DH told me when I was pregnant with DD that he didn't think he could be
> in the room when she was born. He said he was too afraid of seeing me
> in pain, too. ("Helpful" anecdotes from other new dads did not help
> that situation.) But once we were there, I don't think he would've
> missed it for the world. I had a totally unmedicated birth, and we
> were both okay.

His two horrors are c-section and cutting the cord - "I've booked to have a
baby, not to perform/watch surgery!". Bless him. He's watched a few births
on the Discovery Channel, so he's ok with the concept, i *think*. I'm
trying to give him jobs to do - time the contractions, make sure my hips are
ok etc, and he seems to thrive on them.

> > I would also love to know a definite due date, I think I
> > am a bit of a control freak, and I am finding it distressing not knowing
how
> > long I have left.
>
> I hear ya, sister.

Sucks, doesn't it! :)

> > Strangely enough, the thought of labour isn't worrying me too much! I
have
> > faith that my body will know what to do at the time, it's just all the
other
> > stuff that I am fretting about. I am sure it's normal, I just wish it
> > wasn't.
>
> You're going to be fine. :-)

Thanks :) You too! :)

> -Carlye
> DD 9-29-04
> DS EDD 6-2-06

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

Jamie Clark
May 31st 06, 06:43 PM
lucy-h wrote:
> I've been having an on/off mini-panic the last few days... I think
> it's just first-time mummy nerves, but there are times when I wonder
> if I really will know what to do with a newborn.
>
> I've looked after so many babies, and come from a very "babied-up"
> family, where it seems no one has less than three kiddies, and the
> average is 5... but when the baby's here, and we have the
> responsibility 24/7, I worry that I won't know what to do. I am sure
> that it will all be fine, but since DH has *no* babies in his small
> family, he has no idea about babies.

You will be fine. I felt very comfortable around babies, and that
translated to feeling incredibly comfortable and sure of myself when I
brought my first daughter home. I just knew what to do, and felt confident
about everything. Plus, babies are pretty easy. They either need to sleep,
be fed, or changed. For the first few weeks, there aren't a lot of other
options, except maybe hold as well. And, they tend to sleep a lot, so you
have breaks from dealing with the baby. So although it's 24/7, it's really
more like an hour or two here or there, then an hour or two off, then back
on, etc. They get more needy and demanding the longer you have them, so you
both end up growing together, in terms of being able to take care of them
and anticipate their needs.

> I am worried about being so tired, having seen the effect the
> narcolepsy has had during the pg.

Valid worry. Since your caregivers don't have much experience with this
issue, you won't know until you get there. Because of this, you should
probably plan on having dh home for longer than average, or having your mum
or other family/friend come stay for a while, until you get an idea of how
the narcelepsy is going to play out.

> I am worried about being over fussy
> with a crying baby, or not fussing enough and missing something.

See above. You'll do fine. If baby is fussy, in general, it needs to be
fed, held, changed, or put down to sleep. If baby is sleeping or quiet, all
is well in it's world. You'll figure it out!

> I worry that I don't have everything I need, and spend ages walking
> round baby shops/supermarkets/hunting through the internet, just in
> case I have missed something, and strangely feel disappointed if I
> don't find anything that I have missed.

New babies don't need all that much. It sounds like you have everything
under control. Remember, there are two of you, so if you realize you need
something that you've forgotten, dh can make a run to the store and pick it
up. Also, your regular life continues on, even with a new baby in the
house. You'll need to go to the store to buy groceries every week, so you
can pick up extra items then. It's not like you, dh and baby will be
quarantined for months and not be able to go out. If you feel up to it
physically from the birth, you might well want to take a quick jaunt to the
store a week after birth, with or without baby.

> I am worried about not
> getting hold of DH in time for labour, and wish he was working from
> home, as was the plan.

Most first labors are plenty long enough for dh to get to you in time for
the birth. Unless dh had to take a last minute business trip or something,
this is a worry that doesn't need to be fretted over.

> Having now agreed to give birth in a hospital,
> I am stressing a little over how long I will be kept in, and I really
> hope it's not overnight, as I don't want DH to have to leave us
> there. I also worry in case I have to have a c-section as I am still
> massively phobic of an epidural, following the nasty nasty lumbar
> puncture, and DH is really phobic about coming in for a c-section,
> though we have both agreed to try. He's so loving and supportive, but
> I worry how he'll cope seeing me in pain/distress.

Here in the US, it's likely that you would stay overnight, at least
depending on when baby was born. But, here in the US, there is usually some
sort of fold out chair/chaise that turns into a bed for dh Although I'm sure
it's not too comfy, but he could be with you there all night. Perhaps UK
hospitals don't allow that, but they might. I would think they have
something for the dh's, as your labor could easily start at6pm and go
through the night, and there would be some down times where dh could be able
to grab a quick power nap or something. So they have to have something for
birth partners.

In regards to dh seeing you in pain, he'll do okay. Once you are both
there, in the moment, dh will be at your side, trying his best to help you
cope and to support you. He won't be thinking about himself at that moment,
he'll be concentrating on you.

I think once you get to the situation where you need an epidural for a
c-section, you'll be okay and do what you need to do. I hope you don't get
there, of course, but to me, there's no use overly worrying about this
stuff. Cross that bridge once, and only if, you get to it.

> I'm fretty as I
> wanted to get a comfy chair for breastfeeding in, and still haven't
> found one I wanted that's not hundreds of pounds.

We bought a glider that didn't weigh hundreds of pounds, and I've been very
happy with it. It's in the nursery, and was useful for a long time, even as
Taylor got to be a toddler and was pretty big. Although we didn't use it
for breastfeeding, I did all our night time bottle feeds in that chair, and
then later, story time. Then, when Addie came along, we got to use it all
over again from the beginning. So for me, it's been a great investment, and
I've used it multiple times a day and night, for the past 3+ years. If you
plan on having more kids, it's a good thing.

Now, that all being said, I also did plenty of night time feeds in our bed,
with the Boppy pillow, and tons of feeds downstairs on the sofa with the
Boppy. So having "the perfect breastfeeding chair" is a lot less important
than having a comfortable place to feed, be it a bed, sofa, etc, as well as
a good breastfeeding pillow.

> I would also love
> to know a definite due date, I think I am a bit of a control freak,
> and I am finding it distressing not knowing how long I have left. I
> know it's all little stuff, but it's doing my head in.

I think you are a control freak... : ) and I say that in the nicest way
possible. There is no way that anyone can predict exactly when your child
will come, so the end of every woman's pregnancy is filled with this exact
sense of "WHEN! How much longer!?" The only way to know for sure is to
schedule a c-section. Even if you were to schedule an induction, that only
tells you when they hope to start labor -- you could still be bumped from
induction due to a full hospital ward, or your induced labor could take 3
days, etc.

So, the upshot to this is that you are not alone. I'd be willing to bet
that every pregnant woman has these feelings of wanting to know when their
baby is going to come.

> It's not
> helping that I have had a fall out with my real mum, even though
> she's 300 odd miles away.

No, that doesn't help.

> Strangely enough, the thought of labour isn't worrying me too much! I
> have faith that my body will know what to do at the time, it's just
> all the other stuff that I am fretting about. I am sure it's normal,
> I just wish it wasn't.
>
> Sorry for the ramble!
>
> Lucy

Hugs Lucy. Hopefully venting this all out has been a help, and got it off
your brain for a bit!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Welches
May 31st 06, 06:45 PM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
. ..
> lucy-h wrote:
>

>> I'm fretty as I
>> wanted to get a comfy chair for breastfeeding in, and still haven't
>> found one I wanted that's not hundreds of pounds.
>
> We bought a glider that didn't weigh hundreds of pounds,

I think Lucy's from the UK and pounds are money not weight :-)

Lucy, I never had a specific chair. I did have one of those v shaped
cushions (you can get them from Argos) which are very good for helping feed.
Debbie

Jamie Clark
May 31st 06, 07:00 PM
Welches wrote:
> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> lucy-h wrote:
>>

>>> I'm fretty as I
>>> wanted to get a comfy chair for breastfeeding in, and still haven't
>>> found one I wanted that's not hundreds of pounds.
>>
>> We bought a glider that didn't weigh hundreds of pounds,
>
> I think Lucy's from the UK and pounds are money not weight :-)
>
> Lucy, I never had a specific chair. I did have one of those v shaped
> cushions (you can get them from Argos) which are very good for
> helping feed. Debbie

Doi, you are right. I KNOW she's from the UK, but for some reason I read
that as a weight issue! LOL!

Okay, so although our glider wasn't heavy, it was pretty expensive. BUT, as
I said, we've gotten tons of use out of it.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

May 31st 06, 10:10 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:
> Welches wrote:
> > "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> Okay, so although our glider wasn't heavy, it was pretty expensive. BUT, as
> I said, we've gotten tons of use out of it.

We got a cheapy glider off of CraigsList, but honestly -- I used my
armless futon more!! ;) I'm glad I have the glider now (Micah likes
to climb on it! haha), but it wasn't necessary.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Anne Rogers
May 31st 06, 11:36 PM
> No, I couldn't get an appt with the sleep disorders clinic, and in
> general,
> GPs/midwives don't seem to know too much about it. I am going to see how
> it
> goes tho, as I am sleeping 14-18 hours a day at the moment, and if it gets
> worse, I am going to ask if there's any chance of induction, before I get
> too tired for labour.

when did you ask about an appointment? I don't think they are going to go
for induction without asking the opinion of a specialist. Bear in mind that
inductions can be longer and a lot more tiring, particularly if it takes
several does of prostin gel to ripen the cervix, we are talking 72hrs here.
When labour does hit, you will find the resources to get through it if it's
within the normal scale of things, it's only when it gets over long that
tiredness seems to become a problem rather than just something people notice
and deal with.

> I had wondered about the space issue! It just seems that in the
> picture-perfect family pics you see, mum is always nursing in a chair :)
> have a v pillow to support the baby, I think I would just like a chair
> with
> arms, as opposed to this arm-less futon, and only a bed in the bedroom.

only in pictures that are trying to advertise nursing chairs! What kind of v
shape pillow do you have? they generally don't seem to be fat enough to
raise the baby up high enough to feed, for a newborn you really do need a
specially designed nursing pillow, or multiple pillows. The arms of the
chair can get in the way, particularly if you have any trouble latching, I
definitely wouldn't call the arms the biggest feature, it was the supportive
back, which sofas and futons definitely don't have, then the rocking, which
saved me a bit of bouncing.

Anne

lucy-h
June 2nd 06, 09:27 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jamie Clark wrote:
> > Welches wrote:
> > > "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> > > . ..

> > Okay, so although our glider wasn't heavy, it was pretty expensive.
BUT, as
> > I said, we've gotten tons of use out of it.
>

> We got a cheapy glider off of CraigsList, but honestly -- I used my
> armless futon more!! ;) I'm glad I have the glider now (Micah likes
> to climb on it! haha), but it wasn't necessary.
>
> Em
> mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Heh, after my little fuss, I decided against a chair... if when she arrives,
I find I need one, I'll think again. In the mean time, I'll *try* and stop
fussing over the little things :)

I have a fatter v-pillow now that I got from Mothercare as my poor old Argos
one has lost weight over the years :)

Thanks all for the reassurance. I tend to forget how calming DH is, and that
he will be better than I give him credit for when she does decide to arrive.

Lucy