PDA

View Full Version : New baby is here ;) - kinda...

xkatx
June 1st 06, 05:32 AM
I'm just so excited, and although this is kinda off topic, I just can't help
myself...
We have a new addition to our family... Not the regular kind of baby, but
still a baby...
Or chinchilla, Kiki, had a baby! We didn't even know until just tonight,
maybe an hour ago! ;)
This morning, getting ready to catch the school bus, DS is in the living
room watching a bit of TV, and out of nowhere he says to me, "Mommy, I
really like the baby chinchilla." I look in the chins' cage (we have a
female, Kiki, and a male, Daxter) and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I
passed it off as nothing. Then again, this evening, about an hour ago, DS
again is watching TV before bed and he says, "I really LOVE the baby
chinchilla!" I tell him there's no baby chinchilla, and he gets mad at me
and says that yes there is a baby! I get down on my hands and knees and
sure enough, in the little house is a little baby chin! I get all giddy and
excited and want to maul the little chin and squeeze him because it's so
cute, but I contain myself - although just barely
We just finished separating the male and female + baby, as we saw that Kiki
is basically savagely attacking Dax. We manage to get the male out (DH had
to corner him in the cage with a pet carrier, as the male would hiss and
spit if you tried to go near him, and from a chin that has NEVER shown any
type of aggression, he was definitely going to bite if given the chance...)
So we remove the male, and see that he's got a few open wounds. I guess the
female was being a downright b**ch to him, but we'll monitor him - and mama
and bebe - and see how things are during the night and come morning. He
seems to be doing fiine otherwise, and mom and baby seem to be doing great.
Mom looks great and baby looks adorably cute, and yes, VERY funny looking.
So, *we* have a new family member for the time being, and I'm racking my
brain on a very silly name to name this little thing! :D

lucy-h
June 1st 06, 06:56 AM
"xkatx" > wrote in message news:c5ufg.329$A8.14@clgrps12...
> I'm just so excited, and although this is kinda off topic, I just can't
help
> myself...
> We have a new addition to our family... Not the regular kind of baby, but
> still a baby...
> Or chinchilla, Kiki, had a baby! We didn't even know until just tonight,
> maybe an hour ago! ;)
> This morning, getting ready to catch the school bus, DS is in the living
> room watching a bit of TV, and out of nowhere he says to me, "Mommy, I
> really like the baby chinchilla." I look in the chins' cage (we have a
> female, Kiki, and a male, Daxter) and nothing looked out of the ordinary.
> passed it off as nothing. Then again, this evening, about an hour ago, DS
> again is watching TV before bed and he says, "I really LOVE the baby
> chinchilla!" I tell him there's no baby chinchilla, and he gets mad at me
> and says that yes there is a baby! I get down on my hands and knees and
> sure enough, in the little house is a little baby chin! I get all giddy
and
> excited and want to maul the little chin and squeeze him because it's so
> cute, but I contain myself - although just barely
> We just finished separating the male and female + baby, as we saw that
Kiki
> is basically savagely attacking Dax. We manage to get the male out (DH
had
> to corner him in the cage with a pet carrier, as the male would hiss and
> spit if you tried to go near him, and from a chin that has NEVER shown any
> type of aggression, he was definitely going to bite if given the
chance...)
> So we remove the male, and see that he's got a few open wounds. I guess
the
> female was being a downright b**ch to him, but we'll monitor him - and
mama
> and bebe - and see how things are during the night and come morning. He
> seems to be doing fiine otherwise, and mom and baby seem to be doing
great.
> Mom looks great and baby looks adorably cute, and yes, VERY funny looking.
> So, *we* have a new family member for the time being, and I'm racking my
> brain on a very silly name to name this little thing! :D

Awwwwwwwwwww! I love chinnies! My SIL has one, and I am very jealous :)

Reminds me of my guinea-pig story! I bought 2 piggies, both female, but had
to go away a couple of weeks later and left them with my mum. I called her
up, and she said "Trinket's had babies!!". Well, I was surprised (and
delighted at having 2 extra piglets. So, you can imagine my shock, when I
called a couple of days later, to hear my mum say "Dumpling's had a baby
too!"... Turns out some kids had got into the place where I got the
guinea-pigs from, and let some of them out - a boy included! We called
Trinket's babies Twingo and Berlingo, as I was in France, and thought the
little cars by that name were soooo cute! Dumpling's baby was called Fleur.
They were so little and so adorable!!

Apparently, Mum's reaction was a bit like yours... She opened the hutch, and
thought "Where the hell did they come from?!".

Congratulations on the new babbie! :)

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06