PDA

View Full Version : OT (kinda): Babies and Bikes?

xkatx
June 5th 06, 02:45 AM
DD is 10 months old - today, actually...
DS went to Grandma and Grandpa's yesterday, and when my mom dropped off his
booster seat later in the afternoon, he mentioned something about riding his
bike. He's been going full force on a 2-wheeler with no training wheels
pretty much since spring started...
Well, a month or two ago, we bought a 2-child bike trailer. We also have
the child seat that goes on the back of an adult bike (we actually JUST sold
it this afternoon) and the trailer says on it that it's recommended for use
with children who are old enough to hold their head up with a helmet on, at
about 18 months. The bike seat, however, says the same thing about heads
and helmets, but it says at about 12 months of age.
My mom asked if we've used the bike trailer yet... We haven't, and I told
her that... I told her that to use it, either I or DH (most likely me) would
have to stay home with DD, as she's not old enough to go for bike rides, as
it's recommended at 18 months of age. I would never even dare to take a
child on any type of bike ride without a helmet, and DS knows the rules are
clear about when he rides his bike - helmet on or no bike, no exceptions,
and he's good and fine with that.
My mom suggested that DD could go in the trailer if DS sits in there with
her. I'm not even sure if a baby/child bike helmet comes in such a small
head size (even come a couple months when she's a year old) but it's
something we do plan to look at.
So, I guess my question is for those who go for family bike rides and have
either a child seat in the back or a trailer... What age did you start? Not
wearing a helmet is not an option - I even make DH wear one (although he
absolutely dispises it) to show the kids that when you're on a bike, you
wear a helmet. If he goes off on his bike on his own, whatever, he's a big
boy, but the laws are under 16 years of age, you MUST have a helmet on, and
obviously the common sense safety thing...
I don't really see too much difference between the seat behind you or the
trailer being pulled - both have 5-point safety harnesses, both have high
backs and sides - as far as the general idea of them go... But, one says 12
months, the other 18 months. Both say when you can get a helmet that fits
properly and child can hold their head up with the helmet on, you're good to
go. Should I just hit all the stores and test them out for the end of
summer and fall? I don't think I'm crazy about attempting earlier than 12
months for DD, even if DS is right beside her, but still... Is it kind of
hit or miss? Depends on the baby or child? I know DS has one of those
child/toddler helmets, and it fits him properly according to safety and
recommendations by the manufacture, but I can't see how his helmet would fit
DD any time soon - I believe he was about a year and a half, maybe 2, when
this helmet fit him...
Any suggestions?

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure I followed the entire post, but I do know a little about
trailers, it seems that from around 9 months they are strong enough to sit
properly strapped into a trailer. However I don't think a helmet is
necessary in a well designed trailer with correctly adjusted straps. A good
trailer has a roll bar on the top and if there are 5 point harnesses
correctly adjusted there shouldn't be anyway their little heads can touch
anything if the trailer rolls. For example, DH rolled our single trailer on
a tree root and DS didn't even notice! With double trailers a side head
impact is just about possible, but helmets are not really designed for that
kind of impact, so if you have one that fits properly then I'd use it, but
not otherwise.

I wouldn't use any other bike without a helmet though, child on a bike seat,
child on a tag-a-long, older child going fast whether on or off the road. I
might not use one for young child slowly cycling in a safe place, though as
it happens DS just got his first bike, for his 3rd birthday and he has a
matching helmet which he will always wear, though I suspect that knee and
elbow protectors might be more use!

Anne

Welches
June 5th 06, 01:05 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
> DD is 10 months old - today, actually...
> DS went to Grandma and Grandpa's yesterday, and when my mom dropped off
> his booster seat later in the afternoon, he mentioned something about
> riding his bike. He's been going full force on a 2-wheeler with no
> training wheels pretty much since spring started...
> Well, a month or two ago, we bought a 2-child bike trailer. We also have
> the child seat that goes on the back of an adult bike (we actually JUST
> sold it this afternoon) and the trailer says on it that it's recommended
> for use with children who are old enough to hold their head up with a
> helmet on, at about 18 months. The bike seat, however, says the same
> thing about heads and helmets, but it says at about 12 months of age.
> My mom asked if we've used the bike trailer yet... We haven't, and I told
> her that... I told her that to use it, either I or DH (most likely me)
> would have to stay home with DD, as she's not old enough to go for bike
> rides, as it's recommended at 18 months of age. I would never even dare
> to take a child on any type of bike ride without a helmet, and DS knows
> the rules are clear about when he rides his bike - helmet on or no bike,
> no exceptions, and he's good and fine with that.
> My mom suggested that DD could go in the trailer if DS sits in there with
> her. I'm not even sure if a baby/child bike helmet comes in such a small
> head size (even come a couple months when she's a year old) but it's
> something we do plan to look at.
> So, I guess my question is for those who go for family bike rides and have
> either a child seat in the back or a trailer... What age did you start?
> Not wearing a helmet is not an option - I even make DH wear one (although
> he absolutely dispises it) to show the kids that when you're on a bike,
> you wear a helmet. If he goes off on his bike on his own, whatever, he's
> a big boy, but the laws are under 16 years of age, you MUST have a helmet
> on, and obviously the common sense safety thing...
> I don't really see too much difference between the seat behind you or the
> trailer being pulled - both have 5-point safety harnesses, both have high
> backs and sides - as far as the general idea of them go... But, one says
> 12 months, the other 18 months. Both say when you can get a helmet that
> fits properly and child can hold their head up with the helmet on, you're
> good to go. Should I just hit all the stores and test them out for the
> end of summer and fall? I don't think I'm crazy about attempting earlier
> than 12 months for DD, even if DS is right beside her, but still... Is it
> kind of hit or miss? Depends on the baby or child? I know DS has one of
> those child/toddler helmets, and it fits him properly according to safety
> and recommendations by the manufacture, but I can't see how his helmet
> would fit DD any time soon - I believe he was about a year and a half,
> maybe 2, when this helmet fit him...
> Any suggestions?
You can get helmets for tinies. #1 was wearing one from 7 months when I got
a bike seat (and her head is on the small side) There was no problem with
her holding her head up either.
I don't think for your dd having ds next to her will make any difference to
safety really, although it might make a difference how happy she is to go in
it the first time.
#1 really didn't want to go in the bike seat the first time, but after that
she loved it!
Debbie

xkatx
June 5th 06, 02:19 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure I followed the entire post, but I do know a little about
> trailers, it seems that from around 9 months they are strong enough to sit
> properly strapped into a trailer.

Now that you mention it, I'm really not sure I follow what I meant either...
But...
She can sit in it properly, as we put her in it when we first got it, but
we've yet to actually use it, and we've never gone for rides just yet.

> However I don't think a helmet is necessary in a well designed trailer
> with correctly adjusted straps. A good trailer has a roll bar on the top
> and if there are 5 point harnesses correctly adjusted there shouldn't be
> anyway their little heads can touch anything if the trailer rolls.

By law here, a helmet is necessary for any child under 16. Trailer, child
bike seat, whatever. On a bike and under 16, helmet is the law, and it's
the parents that get a fairly hefty fine... Even if the kid gets spotted by
the police riding to school at age 13 or something without a helmet...
This one does have support roll bar things. To be honest, I don't know how
strong they are, but I would assume fairly strong as the top bars are made
of the same metal that the whole frame is made of. I just assume that the
frame is built to hold up a fair amount with some strength. We bought it
off of a co-worker, so it's not brand new in the box with a manual or
anything.
I think the main concern with trailers isn't so much the rolling issue. I
think the helmet idea is more for if you happen to get hit or something -
I'm sure trailer vs. car, car is going to win, and definitely a human head
vs. concrete after the car wins, concrete will win.

> For example, DH rolled our single trailer on a tree root and DS didn't
> even notice!

Oh my! Haha I can only imagine! lol
Probably a good thing he didn't notice - if he did, he might have wanted his
dad to do it again! ;)

> With double trailers a side head impact is just about possible, but
> helmets are not really designed for that kind of impact, so if you have
> one that fits properly then I'd use it, but not otherwise.

I think I'll take DD this morning, after DSs gone to school, and see if we
can shop around and check out helmets. A side impact of heads isn't too
much of a concern just yet... I really don't think DS will be very
interested in riding in the trailer for very long. He's been on the 2
wheeler since the beginning of spring, and he seems to be doing very well on
it. At this point, I would not let him ride his own bike on his own - he's
just still fairly unsteady and he really can't ride long distances real
straight and safely. I would NOT trust him to ride a bike just yet on the
side of the road, on a bike trail or even on the sidewalk. I'm sure it
won't take long for the novelty of a trailer to wear off for him.

> I wouldn't use any other bike without a helmet though, child on a bike
> seat, child on a tag-a-long, older child going fast whether on or off the
> road. I might not use one for young child slowly cycling in a safe place,
> though as it happens DS just got his first bike, for his 3rd birthday and
> he has a matching helmet which he will always wear, though I suspect that
> knee and elbow protectors might be more use!
>
> Anne

DS has always liked to wear his helmet. He's never once had a problem with
it, and we've always made the rule of no helmet, no bike clear as can be. I
think he likes his helmet (for now) and I think it might go back to that
rule lol
DS needs full body protection for no matter what he does, it seems... He
always seems to be getting hurt one way or another!

xkatx
June 5th 06, 05:19 PM
"Welches" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> than 12 months for DD, even if DS is right beside her, but still... Is it
>> kind of hit or miss? Depends on the baby or child? I know DS has one of
>> those child/toddler helmets, and it fits him properly according to safety
>> and recommendations by the manufacture, but I can't see how his helmet
>> would fit DD any time soon - I believe he was about a year and a half,
>> maybe 2, when this helmet fit him...
>> Any suggestions?
>
> You can get helmets for tinies. #1 was wearing one from 7 months when I
> got a bike seat (and her head is on the small side) There was no problem
> with her holding her head up either.
> I don't think for your dd having ds next to her will make any difference
> to safety really, although it might make a difference how happy she is to
> go in it the first time.
> #1 really didn't want to go in the bike seat the first time, but after

I went to Walmart this morning (smart me left a bag there yesterday, and the
important one of Jet Dry and dish soap, so had to go there anyways - d'oh!)
and I had a look at the helmets they had there... Surprisingly very little
to choose from - 1 single pink helmet with butterflies and about 4 blue
dinosaur ones... They were fairly reasonably priced at $21.something, and
they also had 2 different kinds of Sesame Street helmets (although I dispise
Sesame Street) but they were $30, and only because they came with either a
pair of kids' sunglasses or some sort of knee pads... Neither of which are
of use to us, and neither of which are worth the extra $8 to me... Also,
all the helmets said something like 48-52 (I think this is cm in size??) but
one of the Sesame Street ones said 48-50. That 48-50 one was a slightly
better fit, but I could not tell if there were the extra pads with it, as I
saw there were with the other dino/butterfly helmets...
I think I'll still do some shopping around... She seems to be able to hold
her head up no problem with the helmet on (I just placed it on her head to
fit and just get an idea) but it was falling over her eyes a bit - tho I'm
sure those pads could be fitted properly to make the helmet stay on right
and not fall - and she wasn't crazy about not seeing what's going on.
I'll check out some other stores... I'm alright with around $20 for a
helmet, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay (or can afford to pay) much
more than $30 or so if I have to check out actual bike stores - where they
seem to charge an arm and a leg!

Welches
June 5th 06, 05:22 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message

> "Welches" > wrote in message
>>
>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>> DD is 10 months old - today, actually...
>>> DS went to Grandma and Grandpa's yesterday, and when my mom dropped off
> I went to Walmart this morning (smart me left a bag there yesterday, and
> the important one of Jet Dry and dish soap, so had to go there anyways -
> d'oh!) and I had a look at the helmets they had there... Surprisingly very
> little to choose from - 1 single pink helmet with butterflies and about 4
> blue dinosaur ones... They were fairly reasonably priced at $21.something,
> and they also had 2 different kinds of Sesame Street helmets (although I
> dispise Sesame Street) but they were $30, and only because they came with
> either a pair of kids' sunglasses or some sort of knee pads... Neither of
> which are of use to us, and neither of which are worth the extra $8 to
> me... Also, all the helmets said something like 48-52 (I think this is cm
> in size??) but one of the Sesame Street ones said 48-50. That 48-50 one
> was a slightly better fit, but I could not tell if there were the extra
> pads with it, as I saw there were with the other dino/butterfly helmets...
> I think I'll still do some shopping around... She seems to be able to hold
> her head up no problem with the helmet on (I just placed it on her head to
> fit and just get an idea) but it was falling over her eyes a bit - tho I'm
> sure those pads could be fitted properly to make the helmet stay on right
> and not fall - and she wasn't crazy about not seeing what's going on.
> I'll check out some other stores... I'm alright with around $20 for a
> helmet, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay (or can afford to pay) much
> more than $30 or so if I have to check out actual bike stores - where they
> seem to charge an arm and a leg!

I'd go to an idependent bike shop because they'll fit it for you. I haven't
founf them here (UK) to be much more expensive at the cheaper end, although
they usually have a lot more in the expensive end.
I think I paid £8 for #1's which is 48-52cm last year. Her first one
(46-49cm) was more expensive, but I can't remember how much.
Debbie

xkatx
June 5th 06, 05:49 PM
"Welches" > wrote in message

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Welches" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>> I went to Walmart this morning (smart me left a bag there yesterday, and
>> the important one of Jet Dry and dish soap, so had to go there anyways -
>> d'oh!) and I had a look at the helmets they had there... Surprisingly
>> very little to choose from - 1 single pink helmet with butterflies and
>> about 4 blue dinosaur ones... They were fairly reasonably priced at
>> $21.something, and they also had 2 different kinds of Sesame Street
>> helmets (although I dispise Sesame Street) but they were $30, and only
>> because they came with either a pair of kids' sunglasses or some sort of
>> knee pads... Neither of which are of use to us, and neither of which are
>> worth the extra $8 to me... Also, all the helmets said something like
>> 48-52 (I think this is cm in size??) but one of the Sesame Street ones
>> said 48-50. That 48-50 one was a slightly better fit, but I could not
>> tell if there were the extra pads with it, as I saw there were with the
>> other dino/butterfly helmets...
>> I think I'll still do some shopping around... She seems to be able to
>> hold her head up no problem with the helmet on (I just placed it on her
>> head to fit and just get an idea) but it was falling over her eyes a
>> bit - tho I'm sure those pads could be fitted properly to make the helmet
>> stay on right and not fall - and she wasn't crazy about not seeing what's
>> going on.
>> I'll check out some other stores... I'm alright with around $20 for a
>> helmet, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay (or can afford to pay)
>> much more than $30 or so if I have to check out actual bike stores -
>> where they seem to charge an arm and a leg!
>>
> I'd go to an idependent bike shop because they'll fit it for you. I
> haven't founf them here (UK) to be much more expensive at the cheaper end,
> although they usually have a lot more in the expensive end.
> I think I paid £8 for #1's which is 48-52cm last year. Her first one
> (46-49cm) was more expensive, but I can't remember how much.
> Debbie

Yea, I'm going to try some other local stores, and I want to stay away from
the expensive bike stores - bike rides with the kids are pretty much going
to be in our River Valley on the designated bike trails, so chances of cars
there are none, and it just seems to be silly to spend an arm and a leg on a
helmet that probably won't fit for a long time. We paid quite a bit for
DS's toddler helmet - that was at a bike store - and that won't fit him for
sure come next year... Just got it last summer, and it fit then and it still
seems to fit just fine now... I think I'll get DH to look around - he's the
bike fiend... Bike this, crank that, derailleurs over here, post over
there... I know how to ride a bike. I know how to put a helmet on and pedal
off. ;)
I have this itch that won't go away to go down the bike trails with the kids
like NOW... I'm not sure how much I will hold up on a bike, but at this
point, I'm not huge sized, and I have yet to find that my balance is off.
Biking should be fine during pregnancy, I would assume, as long as you don't
over do it or as long as you are still comfortable with balance, right? I
noticed that the bike stands on its own with the trailer, though lol

Welches
June 5th 06, 06:08 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message

> [...]
> a bit for DS's toddler helmet - that was at a bike store - and that won't
> fit him for sure come next year... Just got it last summer, and it fit
> then and it still seems to fit just fine now... I think I'll get DH to
> look around - he's the bike fiend... Bike this, crank that, derailleurs
> over here, post over there... I know how to ride a bike. I know how to
> put a helmet on and pedal off. ;)
> I have this itch that won't go away to go down the bike trails with the
> kids like NOW... I'm not sure how much I will hold up on a bike, but at
> this point, I'm not huge sized, and I have yet to find that my balance is
> off. Biking should be fine during pregnancy, I would assume, as long as
> you don't over do it or as long as you are still comfortable with balance,
> right? I noticed that the bike stands on its own with the trailer, though

I biked through both pregnancies. I stopped at 36 weeks with #1 when I'd
biked down to the doctors for a check up. Unfortunately I went straight in
instead of having 20 minutes wait as usual and my bp was up. Dr. wasn't too
impressed :-) but we moved away at 37 weeks so I didn't try it again.
With #2 I cycled at about 38 weeks a few miles with #2 in her bike seat too.
It was somewhere I had to get to and no public transport (and no car). As I
said to dh "I've got 3 people on my bike!"
Debbie