PDA

View Full Version : Should I call the midwife?

lucy-lu
June 5th 06, 10:21 AM
Hi all

This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
have tried to Google, but it's not helping...

I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of
cramps for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a
nap. That's ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that
over the same period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's
like having a very small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery
to be discharge (I think).

I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.

Thank you guys

Lucy

lucy-lu
June 5th 06, 10:26 AM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
> have tried to Google, but it's not helping...
>
> I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of
> cramps for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a
> nap. That's ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that
> over the same period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's
> like having a very small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery
> to be discharge (I think).
>
> I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
> don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.
>
> Thank you guys
>
> Lucy

Oh, it;s lucy-h btw - I've got a new ng reader that I can't work yet ;)

Lucy

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 12:50 PM
offically waters aren't supposed to leak, but it seems that they do
sometimes, also you can get very water vaginal discharge towards the end of
pregnancy.

I also wouldn't worry about cramps that aren't improving, it's cramps that
are getting worse that make you really think things are happening.

To be honest, this is the moment when you really don't want to call the
midwife, if they think your waters are leaking and do an examination that is
going to put you on a clock to induction, whereas if they aren't leaking and
it is just one of those things, you don't want to make it all medical. If
they are leaking, it will likely get worse and contractions will get worse
and then you should call.

cheers

Anne

"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
> have tried to Google, but it's not helping...
>
> I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of cramps
> for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a nap. That's
> ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that over the same
> period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's like having a very
> small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery to be discharge (I
> think).
>
> I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
> don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.
>
> Thank you guys
>
> Lucy

Welches
June 5th 06, 01:10 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
> have tried to Google, but it's not helping...
>
> I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of cramps
> for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a nap. That's
> ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that over the same
> period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's like having a very
> small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery to be discharge (I
> think).
>
> I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
> don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.

My personal view is don't call in. If you're still describing it as
period-like, then it's not full blown labour and you're best staying at
home.
I got very dischargy at the end of pregnancy, but it wasn't waters.
Debbie

Ericka Kammerer
June 5th 06, 01:18 PM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
> have tried to Google, but it's not helping...
>
> I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of
> cramps for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a
> nap. That's ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that
> over the same period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's
> like having a very small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery
> to be discharge (I think).
>
> I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
> don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.

A very watery discharge is not uncommon at this
stage, which is hard to distinguish from a slow leak without
testing. Odds are it's just discharge, but it doesn't hurt
to ask. I wouldn't think it particularly urgent, or something
needing you to call DH home.

Best wishes,
Ericka

xkatx
June 5th 06, 02:52 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> offically waters aren't supposed to leak, but it seems that they do
> sometimes, also you can get very water vaginal discharge towards the end
> of pregnancy.

My girl friend had this happen to her... It was slow leaking. She found
that she just felt like she was peeing herself a little one night while
sitting at home watching a movie. She was about 36-37 weeks. She kept
getting up to go to the washroom (the common pg problem of, Oh my! I can't
seem to control my bladder!) but she didn't actually have to pee... It was
still just that leaking feeling, so she called the 24 hour health hotline,
and the nurse told her to either smell or taste it. She opted to smell it,
and I guess it had a distinct smell of not being urine, and I think she
described it as almost a bitter smell, not pee, though. (I'm really not sure
if a person would consider tasting, but whatever! lol)
So it was then recommended that she go into the hospital right away to get
checked out. Turned out that her water had broke, but it was not a gush.
This happens, she was told, if baby's head is fairly far down, and it acts
almost like a plug for the opening, which can cause slow leaking, and maybe
the odd small gush if baby's head moves or if you happen to move a way that
could cause the baby's head to move ever so slightly.

> I also wouldn't worry about cramps that aren't improving, it's cramps that
> are getting worse that make you really think things are happening.

Yeah, I do agree. If the cramping feeling seems to be about the same, I
don't think this is something to worry about too much, especially if the
cramping is not something new.

> To be honest, this is the moment when you really don't want to call the
> midwife, if they think your waters are leaking and do an examination that
> is going to put you on a clock to induction,

My friend's water did break, the slow leaking, and this was later at night.
She went in to the hospital, half way across the city, and was checked out.
They had told her because she was not in active labor - her water just
broke - that she needs to come back in the morning for an induction due to
the likely high risk that she or baby could have some problems. I think
it's something like 24 hours after water breaks that a baby should be born
to avoid an infection.
I, personally, have never had my water break on my own, so I can't say from
personal experience, just what my girl friend said and experienced. I would
call in and even get checked out if need be, as I'd rather have an induction
than an infection or any other possible problems.

> whereas if they aren't leaking and it is just one of those things, you
> don't want to make it all medical.

I don't know. I'd still call and if I look silly, I can rest assured that I
am not the first with this concern, and I won't be the last...

> If they are leaking, it will likely get worse and contractions will get
> worse and then you should call.

Not necessarily... My friend was sitting at home one evening watching
movies. She had no cramping at all, no contractions, no different feeling,
other than of her having a slow leaking feeling.

> cheers
>
> Anne
>

> "lucy-lu" > wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>
>> This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
>> have tried to Google, but it's not helping...
>>
>> I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of cramps
>> for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a nap. That's
>> ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that over the same
>> period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's like having a
>> very small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery to be
>> discharge (I think).
>>
>> I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
>> don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.
>>
>> Thank you guys
>>
>> Lucy

Ericka Kammerer
June 5th 06, 03:57 PM
xkatx wrote:

> My friend's water did break, the slow leaking, and this was later at night.
> She went in to the hospital, half way across the city, and was checked out.
> They had told her because she was not in active labor - her water just
> broke - that she needs to come back in the morning for an induction due to
> the likely high risk that she or baby could have some problems.

It's not a high risk. There is a slightly elevated
risk of infection. This is exacerbated if mom is GBS+.

> I think
> it's something like 24 hours after water breaks that a baby should be born
> to avoid an infection.

That is a very conservative guideline, especially
if one is GBS- and cautious about refraining from activities
that increase the likelihood of infection.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 06:10 PM
>> My friend's water did break, the slow leaking, and this was later at
>> night.
>> She went in to the hospital, half way across the city, and was checked
>> out. They had told her because she was not in active labor - her water
>> just broke - that she needs to come back in the morning for an induction
>> due to the likely high risk that she or baby could have some problems.
>
> It's not a high risk. There is a slightly elevated
> risk of infection. This is exacerbated if mom is GBS+.
>
>> I think it's something like 24 hours after water breaks that a baby
>> should be born to avoid an infection.
>
> That is a very conservative guideline, especially
> if one is GBS- and cautious about refraining from activities
> that increase the likelihood of infection.

Exactly why I said not to call, Lucy is GBS negative, there is mucy more
risk of infection if someone puts there hand up there, so you want to avoid
that and 24hrs is very conservative WHO says 96hrs I think and all this is
_if_ the waters are actually broken. I think it's above 90% who do actually
start active labour within 48hrs of membrane rupture anyway, so very few
people really need inducing in the end.

Anne

lucy-lu
June 5th 06, 10:24 PM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This might sound silly, but I am not sure if my waters are leaking... I
> have tried to Google, but it's not helping...
>
> I haven't had a big gush or anything. I've had period-pain type of
> cramps for a couple of hours that haven't improved when I went for a
> nap. That's ok, I seem to get them a lot. What's getting me now is that
> over the same period of time, I've felt a dampness "down there". It's
> like having a very small wee, but it's from my vagina, and is too watery
> to be discharge (I think).
>
> I'm going to give it a little while, then I'll probably call in, I just
> don't want to look foolish, or call DH home for no good reason.
>
> Thank you guys
>
> Lucy

Well, 12 hrs or so on, and I still seem to be leaking... My bump feels
different, and the leak increases when i press on the bump, so I called
the hospital. They've told me to go in (I waited til DH was nearly home
;) )

Hopefully, we might be getting somewhere! :)

Lucy

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 10:35 PM
> Hopefully, we might be getting somewhere! :)

what do you mean by getting somewhere? you are not getting anywhere until
you are in labour and you are not in labour until you are having regular
contractions, increasing in length and frequency, all you are doing by going
in now is letting someone give you a vaginal exam, thus introducing germs,
which isn't great whatever your membranes are doing, if they are intact, you
are going to go home disappointed, if there are not you've put yourself on a
clock on the hospitals timetable, not yours and let me tell you, induction
sucks particularly or a first timer.

I really do hope things go well, but all you could be doing now is putting
yourself through hours of hanging around in the hospital if they don't send
you home before labour kicks in, or they decide to induce.

Cheers

Anne

Michelle J. Haines
June 5th 06, 11:05 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:

> I really do hope things go well, but all you could be doing now is putting
> yourself through hours of hanging around in the hospital if they don't send
> you home before labour kicks in, or they decide to induce.

Good grief, you think maybe you could talk to her about her decision
without telling her off about it?

Michelle
Flutist

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 11:08 PM
> Anne Rogers wrote:
>>
>> I really do hope things go well, but all you could be doing now is
>> putting yourself through hours of hanging around in the hospital if they
>> don't send you home before labour kicks in, or they decide to induce.
>
> Good grief, you think maybe you could talk to her about her decision
> without telling her off about it?

well she posted for advice, almost everyone advised her not to call, just
sit it out see what happens, without contractions nothing is happening, it
may sound mean, but really, I was lost, what does she think is happening,
I'm surprised the hospital even had her go in, even if the waters are broken
you'd usually tell someone to wait until things were really going. It's
precisely the thing we were warned about in antenatal class, don't dash in
at the first sign of anything, you'll spend hours waiting and regret doing
it.

Anne

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 11:29 PM
Actually what I should have said is that I was cross with her hospital, Lucy
is in the UK like me, dealing with a cash strapped NHS and if they tell
everyone to come in when they feel like they are leaking and their bump
feels different and the leaking increases when they press on the bump, then
no wonder they are feeling short staffed and short of money. The only thing
I can think of doing at this stage would be to take a swab and I'd have
thought even that could wait until morning, particularly as matters may well
have been decided by then anyway.

I'm on a committee at our local maternity hospital, the feedback we get is
that the most important part of the midwives job on the delivery unit is
determining who should come in and who shouldn't, the biggest moan was
experienced mothers knowing how to manipulate the system and say the right
thing to get a convienience induction.

Because Lucy is in the UK and hospitals have to follow national guidelines,
I know that her hospital shouldn't be one that induces as soon as the water
is broken, so that can't be the reason they had her come in and they really
shouldn't be making her stay in the hospital until the baby is born.

I'll be interested to see what the hospital do do and my heart goes out to
her if she spends hours waiting.

Anne

Anne Rogers
June 5th 06, 11:50 PM
"lucy-lu" >

I tried to email you at another address which also seems invalid. My email
address is genuine, please could you email me.

Anne

Zaz
June 6th 06, 05:31 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
>> Anne Rogers wrote:
>>>
>>> I really do hope things go well, but all you could be doing now is
>>> putting yourself through hours of hanging around in the hospital if they
>>> don't send you home before labour kicks in, or they decide to induce.
>>
>> Good grief, you think maybe you could talk to her about her decision
>> without telling her off about it?
>
> well she posted for advice, almost everyone advised her not to call, just
> sit it out see what happens, without contractions nothing is happening, it
> may sound mean, but really, I was lost, what does she think is happening,
> I'm surprised the hospital even had her go in, even if the waters are
> broken you'd usually tell someone to wait until things were really going.
> It's precisely the thing we were warned about in antenatal class, don't
> dash in at the first sign of anything, you'll spend hours waiting and
> regret doing it.

I find you quite harsh. She did post here for advice, and no, not everyone
told her not to call, some were not that clear about it. Not only that, but
asking for advice doesn't oblige you to follow it if it doesn't suit you.
And, everyone'situation is different, and everyone feels differently. With
something so close to her as her own pregnancy, she gets the last word, and
if her instinct told her to call, that's what she had to do.

I am currently being seen by a team of midwives, and one of them is
insisting, and I would even say pressuring me, to wait out my pregnancy
until at least June 21, as she wants to keep my due date on June 7. Well, I
won't heed her advice on that, for personal reasons, and even though I keep
hoping for a natural birth, I'm open to the fact that this may not happen.
It's my body, my pregnancy, my worries, my pain.

Lucy felt she had to call, so she did, and they told her to come in. I
support her in her decision, as I believe everyone should, and I only wish
her luck.

--
Isabelle
Mlle C 2004-11-27

Anne Rogers
June 6th 06, 06:50 PM
> I find you quite harsh. She did post here for advice, and no, not everyone
> told her not to call, some were not that clear about it. Not only that,
> but asking for advice doesn't oblige you to follow it if it doesn't suit
> you. And, everyone'situation is different, and everyone feels differently.
> With something so close to her as her own pregnancy, she gets the last
> word, and if her instinct told her to call, that's what she had to do.

we all mess up at times, I have explained that I do regret how harsh my
earlier post was, so there is no need to go on about it, I'm still crossing
my fingers for her.

Anne

Zaz
June 6th 06, 07:24 PM
I didn't mean to go on, as I wrote this your other posts weren't visible to
me.

Sorry, I'll wait longer next time, but I felt it close and personal. Maybe
it did hit some sensible cord on my end.

Zaz