PDA

View Full Version : Re: Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccine

June 15th 06, 01:16 AM
In misc.kids.pregnancy wrote:
: I continuously hear controversy surrounding the MMR vaccine, and I have
: looked into the issue and the best that I can come up with is that the
: triple shot is safe for most kids, but some have problems with it. That is
: enough for me to caution on the side of safety, and I am considering getting
: single vaccine shots of measles, mumps and rubella for my infant. I am
: having a hard time finding anyone who carries the single shots. Can anyone
: offer and recomendations or advise as to how to go about getting single
: shots? Thanks.

There is some conflicted evidence that shows that combining measles and
mumps can create a problem in some children. There are other studies
that purport to say that such a connection does not exist. There is a
great deal of shouting and little clear proof on either side. There are
also other "explanations" for the MMR problems that have since been
corrected (mercury preservative in the vaccine). This all leads to a
very unclear conclusions about what the problem is, and if there is one.

In fact, proponents of both sides will blast this post as not sufficiently
supporting their point of view. I cannot offer advice either way that I
am convinced about. I will say that we delayed the vaccine until almost
3 yo, then used the combination shot at that time.

Larry

Irrational Number
June 16th 06, 12:32 AM
wrote:

> as they say, the truth generally lies somewhere in between. I think that
> mmr is linked with autism in some children.

Be very careful when you say this... MMR is
linked with autism in some children only
because in every population of autistic
children, you will find a good percentage
with MMR vaccinations. That means nothing!

> I wish that the appropriate
> people would start behaving like scientists (that would involve throwing
> their egos aside as well as influence from others such as big pharma and
> politics) and start researching questions other than if MMR is safe. It is
> clearly not for some children. Why is this the case?

When you say "safe", are you talking about
allergic reactions or autism? The issue of
allergic reactions has already been researched
quite rigorously. As to autism, there is no
good of causation. The fact that ONE paper
initially that was biased and *intended* to show
a relationship got parents all up in arms just
goes to show the desperation of parents -
understandably - when their child is diagnosed
with something as serious as autism.

-- Anita --