PDA

View Full Version : Re: Circumcision? - was AP research - can anyone help?

Stephanie S
July 8th 03, 09:05 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "chiam margalit" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in
message
> [...]
> > >

> > > Is it OK to think it? OK, OK actually I am just kidding, beleive it or
> not.
> > > I never called anyone an idiot. But I could not help myself with this
> one.
> >
> > Well, thank you so much. From all the Jews and Muslims in the world,
> > who practice brit milah as we are required to from our biblical (Torah
> > and Koran) laws, we want to thank you, Cheryl for passing judgement on
> > a totally uninformed basis and acting like a complete idiot yourself.
> > Oh, shall I mention bigot as well? No WONDER the Muslims hate
> > Americans. You're a prime example of the small thinking, ethnocentric
> > asses that dominate the American landscape. Shame on you.
> > >

> I was actually just making a joke about the wording of the poster to whom
> replied. I do not think that people who circ their kids are idiots. My
> sister had her son circed for a lot less reason that religious observance.
> Several other of my nephews are circed, though I cannot remember which
ones
> now. For the record, my son is not circed.
>
> That said, as a Catholic and understanding some small amount of Catholic
> history, I am cogniscent that all sorts of horrid things can be done in
the
> name of religious law and observance. If relegion cannot be dynamic enough
> to adapt to growing understanding, then it runs the risk of being immoral
> and cruel. That something is based in religious tradition does not make it
> right. And, in my opinion, ALL religions have there practices which are
> somewhere between impractical and terribly terribly immoral. People who
> blindly follow a religious doctrine without applying their brain to it,
are
> at fault for failure to try to work *within* their religion to advance
> understanding, either their own or of the religious "establishment."
>
> You are very reactionary and get in a twist very easily. It is absolutely
> true that Jews have been mistreated, misunderstood and discriminated
against
> for thousands of years. And I wonder if that hasn't made you seek it where
> it is not intended. If your desire is to educate us when we say things
that
> are wrong, allow me to suggest that you will catch more flies with honey
> than with vinegar. For myself, I maintain
>
> 1. I think circing is wrong. I love my sisters and brothers dearly who did
> it. If asked, I would explain to them why I think it is wrong.
>
> 2. I do not consider myself anti-semitic for thinking circing is wrong. If
> hated Jews out of fear and lack of understanding, I would be anti-semitic.
> find fault with the doctrine of my own religion. Well, I find fault with
the
> doctrine of Judiasm too in this case.
>
> 3. In the big scheme of things, circing is a lesser wrong to so many that
> tend not to get upset or super vocal about it. It tends to do no good.
Good
> people circ their kids. Then every one forgets it. And life goes on with
> good people being good people and raising nice kids.
>
> Incidentally, I have had sex with a turtleneck. They are neither dirty nor
> smelly. Well I have never had sex with someone whose hygene was poor. But
> there it is.
>

> MY 2 cents.

Sorry for all this. My isp is giving me headaches.

H Schinske
July 9th 03, 06:49 PM
wrote:

>A Jewish male who is 'intact'
>won't be getting sex from Jewish girls, who would not sleep with a
>turtleneck (we think they're disgusting and smelly)

Why on earth would a practicing Jew be sleeping around outside marriage anyway?
Isn't that a violation of religious laws? And why on earth do you presume to
speak for all Jews on a matter that *isn't* a religious one (whether foreskins
are "disgusting and smelly")?

--Helen

H Schinske
July 9th 03, 11:11 PM
>Assuming you're male, are you "uncut?" If so, have you thanked your
>parents? If not, do you hate your parents?

The people I know who regret having been circumcised don't hate their parents
at all, they're just sorry that one bad decision was made way back when. Big
difference.

--Helen

Chookie
July 11th 03, 02:16 PM
In article >,
Clisby Williams > wrote:

> Not if you can come up with a good recipe for Ukrainian borscht, I'm not.

Ah, good, another addict. Wanna meat one or a vego one?

And it's borshch. I think borscht is the Yiddish form, and am not sure it's
quite the same. Any Yiddish speakers around to tell me?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Xyzzy
July 13th 03, 04:42 PM
(Beth Kevles) wrote in message >...
> For what it's worth, Jewish babies are typically given a painkiller (a
> bit of sweet wine to suck on) prior to the ritual circumcision.

No adult would get drunk before his circumcision and say that's all
the anesthesia he needed. Why submit babies to pain we would not
tolerate ourselves?